Friday, October 7, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, October 7, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6220, 2011-10-07

Joon Pahk game 5.

CONTESTANTS
Adam Perrotta, a writer originally from Saratoga Springs, New York
Bret Jacobs, a financial consultant from Irvine, California
Joon Pahk, a college physics teacher from Somerville, Massachusetts (whose 4-day cash winnings total $129,400)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. Hello, ladies and gentlemen. He's won easy and he's won hard, but he's won $129,000. All right, Bret and Adam, good luck. You're gonna need it. Here we go. Jeopardy! Round. One Daily Double. Where will it appear? In which of these categories? The basic preparation. Don't overcomplicate it for us.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
HISTORY (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
SPLITSVILLE (4/5)
IN THE PINK (4/5)
HOW IS THAT PREPARED? (4/5) (Alex: The basic preparation. Don't overcomplicate it for us.)
NAME CALLING (5/5)
NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC BRAIN GAMES (5/5) (Alex: That's a new show that will air this Sunday on the National Geographic Channel.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Joon: 12 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Bret: 9 R (including 2 rebounds), 0 W
Adam: 6 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,600

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Joon found the Daily Double on the 6th clue. Joon had $1,000, Bret had $800, and Adam had a deficit with -$200. Joon made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,000.

HISTORY $800: Delegates from 34 countries attended this body's final session April 18, 1946

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Joon: $3,800
Adam: $1,600
Bret: $1,200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Adam Perrotta, originally from Saratoga--Saratoga Springs, New York, a beautiful city in northern New York. Uh, I understand that sometimes you play a different kind of Jeopardy! game. What kind is it?

Adam: It's drinking Jeopardy!, Alex. Um...

[Laughter]

Adam: In, uh, I used to live--I live here now. I used to live in New York. And, um, my apartment mates--uh, one in particular, uh, really liked to play this game where we get some adult beverages and watch the show, and whoever didn't get the question right would have to take a few sips. And I had one friend in particular who was--his affinity for the game was much greater than his aptitude at the game.

Alex: Uh-huh.

Adam: So if it was a hard round, we would be in for a long night.

Alex: Yeah. I don't know if that's a great game, though, because if you do really well, you end up completely sober at the end of the...

Adam: That's true. That's true.

Alex: Yeah. All right.

Alex: Bret Jacobs, from Irvine, California, a financial consultant who once worked in an office building that had some... [inhales sharply] oh, shady connections, right?

Bret: I w--I lived in South America, working for a fruit exporting company, and our offices were in the former residence of notorious drug lord Pablo Escobar.

Alex: Whoa.

Bret: There was actually a jail cell in the basement. We used it to store our files.

[Laughter]

Alex: Okay, Joon Pahk, I know you don't have a car. You do a lot of bicycle riding, but you're not that good a bicycle rider. Am I right?

Joon: I'm normally pretty good, but one time in graduate school, I was coming back to my dorm really late, and I actually fell asleep while bicycling.

[Laughter]

Joon: And I think I was doing okay for a while. I don't have a great--great memory about this. Um, but--but then I hit a speed bump in the parking lot, and, uh, I went off my bike and cracked my face open, and it was a bad scene.

Alex: Speed bumps will tend to wake you up.

Joon: Yes.

Alex: I only sleep when I'm driving vehicles.

[Laughs]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
SPLITSVILLE $800: This "House" and "Tron: Legacy" co-star didn't live happily ever after with her Italian prince, filing for divorce in 2011

IN THE PINK $800: Rapper Cam'ron had a pink one of these alliterative super-SUVs, but sold it as it got too much attention

HOW IS THAT PREPARED? $1000: Chicago hot dog, for purists
(Adam: What is deep fried?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Joon: $7,000
Bret: $5,400
Adam: $1,800
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, October 7, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
GET YOUR WORDSWORTH HERE! (4/5)
OLD (REALLY OLD) PHOTOS (4/5)
AMERICAN ISLANDS (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
"SIT" OR "STAND" (5/5)
MAGAZINES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
LATINOS IN HOLLYWOOD (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Joon: 17 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Adam: 5 R (including 3 rebounds and 1 DD), 1 W
Bret: 3 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $5,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Adam snagged the next Daily Double on the 13th clue. Joon had $12,200, Bret had $7,800, and Adam was at $3,000. Adam made it a True Daily Double, wagering $3,000.

MAGAZINES $2000: The documentary "The September Issue" showed Anna Wintour prepping for this magazine's 2007 Fall Fashion issue

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Joon who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 26th clue. Joon had $23,400, Bret had $9,000, and Adam was at $7,600. Joon wagered $2,500.

AMERICAN ISLANDS $2000: The University of Texas Medical Branch is on this island
(Joon: What is Austin Island?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
OLD (REALLY OLD) PHOTOS $400: The poetic & artistic Rosettis were snapped by this Victorian children's author, also a serious photographer
(Bret: Who is Brady?)

GET YOUR WORDSWORTH HERE! $1600: It sounds a little backwards, but "The child is father of" this

LATINOS IN HOLLYWOOD $2000: Born Margarita Carmen Cansino, this bombshell was a trained dancer & sometimes partnered Fred Astaire
(Adam: Who is Carmen Miranda?)
(Alex: Who is the beautiful [*].)

LATINOS IN HOLLYWOOD $1200: She co-founded an organization called Voto Latino to get people to the polls, even in Sin City
(Alex: And that beautiful girl's name is [*].)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Joon: $19,300 (lock game)
Bret: $8,200
Adam: $8,000

PREFINAL REMARKS
(Before the first break, Sarah Whitcomb of the Jeopardy! Clue Crew delivers a Footnote about Breast Cancer Awareness Month.)
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, a good time to stay in the pink by knowing your risks and getting screened when appropriate. We join the American Cancer Society in reminding you that breast cancer is more treatable when detected early.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ROYALTY

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; three-quarters for second place.
Joon: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $2,899 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Bret: Wager $7,801 to cover Adam.
Adam: Risk between $201 and $7,600, covering Bret's $0 bet.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The son of an Oscar winner, this prince is also a 5-time Olympian

FINAL SCORES
Adam: $8,000 - $201 = $7,799 (Who is Ranier?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Bret: $8,200 + $8,199 = $16,399 (Who is Prince Albert) (2nd place: $2,000)
Joon: $19,300 - $2,500 = $16,800 (Who is Prince Rainier?) (5-day champion: $146,200)
(Alex: [Revealing Bret's response] Who is [*], the son of Prince Rainier. You are right. [*] also the son of Grace Kelly.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $7,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Joon: $21,600, 29 R (including 1 DD), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Bret: $8,200, 12 R, 2 W
Adam: $7,000, 11 R (including 1 DD), 4 W
Combined Coryat: $36,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Joon: 29/60 = .483
Bret: 13/58 = .224
Adam: 11/59 = .186
Team: 53/63 = .841

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
HISTORY $200: Disappointment with the Livonian War & suspected treasons in 1582 may have led this czar to order his 1st executions
(Adam: Who is Peter the Great?)

IN THE PINK $400: Juan & Eva Peron used to appear on the balconies of the Casa Rosada or "pink house", seen here in this world capital

NAME CALLING $600: I could call you a dunce or I could call you this, the type of shark seen here

NAME CALLING $1000: I can't tell if you're just a fool or drunk, but you're definitely this, also the name of the character seen here

HOW IS THAT PREPARED? $200: Eggs over easy
(Adam: What is sautéed? Or [*]?)
[Adam was ruled incorrect before giving the correct response.]

NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC BRAIN GAMES $200: The top & bottom hues here are the same; the brain tricks itself by using these areas of comparative darkness as cues
(Alex: With less than a minute to go.)

NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC BRAIN GAMES $1000: Recalling the exact details of a robbery uses this "equine" brain part that decides what short-term info to keep

NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC BRAIN GAMES $600: Virtual reality & psychology are used to rewire the brain of war vet Jerry, who suffers from PTSD, short for this

OLD (REALLY OLD) PHOTOS $800: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew shows a photograph on the monitor.) Long exposures made quickly-moving objects disappear; here, in 1838, a man standing still getting a shoe shine is the first known human to be photographed; he was in this capital where photography was largely invented

GET YOUR WORDSWORTH HERE! $400: From Westminster Bridge, William mused, "Earth has not anything to show more fair" than this city
(Alex: [*] is the city.)

GET YOUR WORDSWORTH HERE! $1200: W.W. lamented childlike wonder: "Nothing can bring back the hour / Of splendour in" this, "Of glory in the flower"
[Alex read "W.W." in the clue as "William Wordsworth".]
(Joon: What are daffodils?)
(Alex: Yes, splendour in [*].)

OLD (REALLY OLD) PHOTOS $1200: In the 1870s, Red Cloud & a delegation of his Oglala people of this tribe came to Washington

OLD (REALLY OLD) PHOTOS $1600: That's not Napoleon--it's P.T. Barnum's attraction Charles Stratton, known by this name

OLD (REALLY OLD) PHOTOS $2000: Britain's Roger Fenton is known as the first war photographer, capturing quiet moments in this 1850s conflict

LATINOS IN HOLLYWOOD $800: Though the daughter of Hondurans, this "Ugly Betty" star voiced a Viking girl in "How To Train Your Dragon"
(Bret: Who is America Ferrer?)

LATINOS IN HOLLYWOOD $1600: This director's first version of "El Mariachi" was shot for $7,000; the Holywood version cost slightly more
(Joon: Who is Leone?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
the League of Nations
Olivia Wilde
Range Rover
steamed
Vogue
Galveston
Lewis Carroll
the man
Rita Hayworth
Rosario Dawson
Prince Albert
Ivan the Terrible
Buenos Aires
a hammerhead
Jughead
fried
shadows
the hippocampus
post-traumatic stress disorder
Paris
London
the grass
the Sioux
Tom Thumb
the Crimean War
America Ferrera
(Robert) Rodriguez
MDCSWildcats86
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, October 7, 2011 Game Recap & Disc (SPOILERS)

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

KNew FJ! cold.

Incidentally, the sport he participated in was bobsledding.
laubla999
Maybe Someday Jeopardy Champion

Post by laubla999 »

MDCSWildcats86 wrote:KNew FJ! cold.

That was a really easy one ;-/

ETA : I meant the answer itself. I could not remember the sport. Thought it was sailing...
stevee
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by stevee »

SO and I couldn't come up with the first name either, but Monaco, Grace, and Ranier was no problem. Nice KJ type of lockout for Joon after yesterdays cliffhanger!
Wimple
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by Wimple »

I was kinda surprised that a simple "Albert" was acceptable I said Albert Grimaldi. I would have thought either that or Prince AlBert of Monaco would have been needed.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Wimple wrote:I was kinda surprised that a simple "Albert" was acceptable I said Albert Grimaldi. I would have thought either that or Prince AlBert of Monaco would have been needed.
Many royals don't even have last names. Many, like Windsor(-Mountbatten) are simply made up. Not sure if that's that case with Grimaldi, but it's common to refer to a royal by only his first name.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The category was Royalty. I can't imagine any way the judges would ever neg just Albert on that clue.

Mathew Brady being guessed on the Lewis Carroll clue wasn't a complete surprise. I expected a rebound though instead of the TS.

Only one being played in Name Calling before the break had me wondering if the writers were crazy enough to have a rack of offensive clues. Would Munchkin be followed up with something about overweight, disabled, bald and unintelligent people? Couch potato, hammerhead, muggle and jughead shouldn't have angered too many viewers. Still a risky category. I'll keep watching the show though.

The snickerdoodles clue made me laugh as I had a bag of them within reach thanks to a kind co-worker baking some for me.

Joon: Did League of Nations really take that long or do you have a strategy to give all DDs a second look? Galveston I understand extra trying to figure out what to guess there for that DD. I got lucky after going for that over Padre.

What are other possible TX islands? It could come in handy in future TD games?

For the FJ clue I got the 5-smiley week, but I had to work for it tonight. A detour to Japan had me working with the wrong prince. Once I zeroed in on the correct Oscar winner the clue became easier. Last night I knew some of the nominees. Tonight I'm glad it was the person needed and not the sport. The writers this season are shaking my confidence in Olympic type clues. Good for them.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

MarkBarrett wrote:What are other possible TX islands? It could come in handy in future TD games?
Other than Galveston and Padre? There are some other barrier islands, such as Mustang Island and Brazos Island, but I think those are about as unlikely to come up as, I don't know, the traffic island on Crawford Avenue in front of Minute Maid Park.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I wrote down Albert of Monaco. I was worried they'd want a number after his name, but I was lucky there. I'd have put down I if forced to, but he is actually Albert II. A bit surprised two players went with his dad.

Is Joon Irish? He has certainly had that kind of luck this week. If Brett doesn't mispronounce America Ferrera's last name, the game is not a lock and he wins if he doubles up in FJ. Other than that, a strong performance for him as he becomes a five time champ.
Suze
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Suze »

This is the last game I knew the outcome of beforehand. I can't wait to see next week's episodes, to see how Joon fares. :)

FJ was instaget for me. There was a FJ a few years ago that featured Albert as well, about same-named European monarchs, so he always kind of stuck in my head.
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

For anyone who thinks just Albert should be fine, there is another Albert in Europe, King Albert II of Belgium. Same number as Albert of Monaco, even. The only difference is the title King. Albert alone really isn't enough, or even Albert II. There was even a Final Jeopardy not so very long ago that referenced the two Alberts. Well, maybe a couple of years, which doesn't seem so long ago to me.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

MarkBarrett wrote:
The snickerdoodles clue made me laugh as I had a bag of them within reach thanks to a kind co-worker baking some for me.

Joon: Did League of Nations really take that long or do you have a strategy to give all DDs a second look? Galveston I understand extra trying to figure out what to guess there for that DD. I got lucky after going for that over Padre.

If "snickerdoodles" got a laugh out of you, "Galveston" got one from me. If I had been on the show I would have answered, "What is my home town?" since I was born in Galveston in one of the hospitals affiliated with U. Texas Medical Branch.

Sad parenthetic news is that UTMB, long the island's biggest employer, has had to cut something like 30% of its workforce since Hurricane Ike, one of many damaging effects of the storm that will take many years to come back from.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

MDCSWildcats86 wrote:KNew FJ! cold.

Somehow the image of Albert Grimaldi in a bobsled always makes me think of "Prince Albert in a can."

sorry, can't help....
chuck5982
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by chuck5982 »

Suze wrote:This is the last game I knew the outcome of beforehand. I can't wait to see next week's episodes, to see how Joon fares. :)
Were this week's games taped the day after yours?
alamble

Post by alamble »

nlw44 wrote:For anyone who thinks just Albert should be fine, there is another Albert in Europe, King Albert II of Belgium. Same number as Albert of Monaco, even. The only difference is the title King. Albert alone really isn't enough, or even Albert II. There was even a Final Jeopardy not so very long ago that referenced the two Alberts. Well, maybe a couple of years, which doesn't seem so long ago to me.
The Prince vs. King distinction should be enough for the judges. Albert Grimaldi is not and will never become a King, as Monaco is a principality. Was very surprised that Rainier was offered as a response, given that A. he's been dead for more than six years; and B. Albert was in the news this summer thanks to his recent marriage.
Suze
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Suze »

Yes. We interrogated Joon for the Wednesday taping results in the hotel lounge that night. :)
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

I'm not surprised people said Ranier. I couldn't remember Albert and I was in Monaco last year! So maybe put something that might be close (Albert could have been a jr.).
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

nlw44 wrote:For anyone who thinks just Albert should be fine, there is another Albert in Europe, King Albert II of Belgium. Same number as Albert of Monaco, even. The only difference is the title King. Albert alone really isn't enough, or even Albert II. There was even a Final Jeopardy not so very long ago that referenced the two Alberts. Well, maybe a couple of years, which doesn't seem so long ago to me.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?g ... ght=albert
chuck5982
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by chuck5982 »

With five wins and $146,200, Joon Pahk moves into fifth place in the ToC standings.