Registration now open for adult online test

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Registration now open for adult online test

Post by dhkendall »

http://www.jeopardy.com/onlinetests/adult/

May the odds be ever in your favour!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
gamawire
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: Registration now open for adult online test

Post by gamawire »

There was nothing on there about taking the test "for fun" if you're currently in the pool, which I am - interesting.
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

I believe it's been said on these boards before that the "spirit" of the online test is: If you get called for an audition, then you skip the next online test, but you're allowed to take the one after that.

What's the letter of the law? Technically, I am in the contestant pool right now. I auditioned in Philadelphia in September 2012, which was less than 18 months ago but more than 12 months ago.

It would be nice if the rule was "You cannot take the online test if you have attended an in-person audition in the last 12 months, but you may take it if you attended an in-person audition more than 12 months ago." Is that by any chance what the rule is?
gamawire

Post by gamawire »

The last few online tests I have taken have had a disclaimer that said if you have had an in-person audition in the last 18 months then you can only take the test for fun. This may not be the case now since that disclaimer did not come up when I just registered. I hope they don't kick me out of the pool for taking the test (my last audition was in March).
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca
CrunchyTaco

Post by CrunchyTaco »

So, I registered for the Eastern Time Zone test, which will be taken at 7 PM. In the past, hasn't the EST test always been at 8 PM?
legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by legendneverdies »

CrunchyTaco wrote:So, I registered for the Eastern Time Zone test, which will be taken at 7 PM. In the past, hasn't the EST test always been at 8 PM?
I think it's been at 8PM EST in the past. Having the test at 7PM EST means J! will be on in NYC, Philly, Pittsburgh, and quite a few other cities during test time.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

CrunchyTaco wrote:So, I registered for the Eastern Time Zone test, which will be taken at 7 PM. In the past, hasn't the EST test always been at 8 PM?
Yep. It actually would conflict with J! if I were taking that one.
EndlessEntropy
Valued Contributor

Post by EndlessEntropy »

Ugh I took the college and adult test last year earlier this year and got 40+ on both but no audition invite for either. Hopefully this time around I get lucky!
What’s Montague? It is nor hand, nor foot,
Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part
Belonging to a man. O, be some other name!
What’s in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other word would smell as sweet.

-Shakespeare
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Bummer! I work 'til 8pm and am in bed before 10 for a 5:30am start. I am afraid that I won't be at my peak when I take this test.

But I wouldn't consider not taking it.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Am I the only one for whom NYC did not come up among the choices of cities to request an audition in? Here are the cities that appeared for me:

Boston
Chicago
Detroit
Las Vegas
Los Angeles
Memphis
Miami
Minneapolis
Orlando
Philadelphia
Portland
Providence
Raleigh
Savannah
Washington, DC
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
UniquePerspective

Post by UniquePerspective »

Hopefully 6th time's the charm. I got 34 last time. Been getting closer each year, we'll see what happens this time.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

hbomb1947 wrote:Am I the only one for whom NYC did not come up among the choices of cities to request an audition in? Here are the cities that appeared for me:

Boston
Chicago
Detroit
Las Vegas
Los Angeles
Memphis
Minneapolis
Orlando
Philadelphia
Portland
Providence
Raleigh
Savannah
Washington, DC
No NYC on my screen, either.
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

econgator wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote:Am I the only one for whom NYC did not come up among the choices of cities to request an audition in? Here are the cities that appeared for me:

Boston
Chicago
Detroit
Las Vegas
Los Angeles
Memphis
Minneapolis
Orlando
Philadelphia
Portland
Providence
Raleigh
Savannah
Washington, DC
No NYC on my screen, either.
Obviously, I chose another city, at least provisionally . . . but considering how many days the contestant coordinators usually spend in NYC every year, any speculation on why the Big Apple was missing from that list?
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

gamawire wrote:The last few online tests I have taken have had a disclaimer that said if you have had an in-person audition in the last 18 months then you can only take the test for fun. This may not be the case now since that disclaimer did not come up when I just registered. I hope they don't kick me out of the pool for taking the test (my last audition was in March).
I was trying to figure out the "for fun" bit too.
Did you notice how far away from Texas they are this year?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I'm just a happy camper that they have Minneapolis on the list now - the only other time I saw that was the first time I took the online test in early 2009. (Minneapolis is the only city that I can expect them to hold auditions in that is less than a day's drive from here - last time we drove to Minneapolis we did it in 8 hours.)

(Strange they'd have Boston *and* Providence, though, as those two are quite close to each other - I'm guessing any New Yorkers who get called would choose one of those places.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

dhkendall wrote:I'm just a happy camper that they have Minneapolis on the list now - the only other time I saw that was the first time I took the online test in early 2009. (Minneapolis is the only city that I can expect them to hold auditions in that is less than a day's drive from here - last time we drove to Minneapolis we did it in 8 hours.)

(Strange they'd have Boston *and* Providence, though, as those two are quite close to each other - I'm guessing any New Yorkers who get called would choose one of those places.)
I chose D.C., just because I'm very comfortable in that city -- but I could just has easily have gone with Boston. But I still expect NYC to be added (of course), and to have the opportunity to try for a "local" slot there.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

dhkendall wrote:(Strange they'd have Boston *and* Providence, though, as those two are quite close to each other - I'm guessing any New Yorkers who get called would choose one of those places.)
Stranger that they'd have both Orlando and Miami.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Probably going to choose Raleigh again, for the luck factor. That was my last (of two) invitations, in June 2010, despite scores of more than 40 in both 2012 and 2013. In each of those I chose closer to home sites.
BigDaddyJ

Post by BigDaddyJ »

Just registered. Glad to see Chicago being offered again, only a 3-hour drive from Indy.

The image below appeared on the registration confirmation screen. Anybody know which contestant is shown? (I had a guess, but I was wrong. I determined the correct identity using the archive and the categories shown on the board in the image.)
confirmation-nr-image.jpg
confirmation-nr-image.jpg (38.19 KiB) Viewed 5932 times
Here's a hint...
Spoiler
The contestant was only 12 years old at the time.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

The clue picked last in that round, as per the archive, was $1000 in I Wanna Watch TV. The $1000 graphic is not displayed in that window.