Thursday, December 19, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, December 19, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6734, 2013-12-19

CONTESTANTS
Jenna Johnson, a law student from Minneapolis, Minnesota
Mary Gildea, a retired high-school English teacher from Marietta, Pennsylvania
Varun Shekhar, a graduate student in engineering and law from Northville, Michigan (whose 1-day cash winnings total $7,199)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. And thank you, ladies and gentlemen. One of the things we are discovering in recent Jeopardy! programs is that the wagering in Final Jeopardy! is very, very important, because on so many of our programs recently, the players are missing the finals. Varun became champion --made a savvy wager. What will happen today against Jenna and Mary? Let's start finding out. Welcome aboard. Here we go. Jeopardy! Round. These categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
MAP QUEST (5/5)
HODGEPODGE (3/5)
ANAGRAMS (5/5)
LIBRARIES (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THE BEST DEFENSE (4/5)
A GOOD OFFENSE (3/3)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jenna: 10 R, 0 W
Mary: 8 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Varun: 6 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,000

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Mary found the Daily Double on the 12th clue. Varun had $2,000, Mary had $2,000, and Jenna was at $800. Mary wagered $1,000.

LIBRARIES $1000: The National Library of Medicine in Bethesda, MD began with the collection Dr. Joseph Lovell, this official

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Mary: $3,000
Varun: $2,400
Jenna: $1,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Two young lawyers as contestants on the program today. Jenna Johnson is a law student from Minneapolis, Minnesota, who loves to fish.

Jenna: That's right, Alex.

Alex: And you have a fish story --a tall tale to tell us.

Jenna: It's true, though. There are pictures. I recently went on a trip to Alaska, where my uncle and aunt live, and while we were there, we went fishing, and I caught a 25-pound pike.

Alex: A pike?

Jenna: A pike --

Alex: Not a salmon.

Jenna: A northern pike. I also caught a salmon.

Alex: Okay.

Jenna: That only was 12 pounds, though.

Alex: Now, did the pike put up a big fight? Because they go down, don't they?

Jenna: It did, and while I was taking a picture with it, it actually jerked and split my lip open.

Alex: Oh, gosh.

Jenna: But I was okay. I was still smiling in the photo. [ laughter ]

Alex: Alright. Well, congratulations.

Alex: Mary Gildea is a retired high-school English teacher from Pennsylvania who had a picture --a poster of a famous American author on the wall in her class. Who was it?

Mary: I was just beginning to teach "Huckleberry Finn" so I had a picture of Mark Twain on my bulletin board, and one of my 10th graders walked in one day and looked at it and said, "Is that Shania Twain's dad?" [ laughter ] And I said, "yes."
[ laughs ]

Alex: [to the audience] Education in America. It's a wonderful thing. We're learnin' all the time. Learning.

Alex: Varun Shekhar is our champion. He is from Michigan --a graduate student of engineering and law who intends to pursue
environmental law?

Varun: Yeah.

Alex: Now, does that mean we're talking about writing laws regarding the environment or getting involved in lawsuits about the environment?

Varun: It could be a combination of both. So one area might be,
you know, litigation involving environment torts, for example.
Another area is regulatory practice. So, basically, I'm working with agencies like the E.P.A. or state agencies, and working with them to change the law or, you know --

Alex: Well, this is becoming something that's very, very important nowadays and becoming evermore important, right?

Varun: Mm-hmm. Yeah.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
LIBRARIES $400: A small library named for this man at Cambridge's Magdalene College contains his 17th century diary
(Mary: Who is Samuel Johnson?)
(Alex: [to Mary] You knew that. You just misspoke. Your brain did a little glitch.)

HODGEPODGE $600: This small blonde Oklahoma,born dynamo has been "Wicked" on stage & full of "glee" on television

HODGEPODGE $1000: This capital of Sierra Leone was founded as a home for liberated slaves
(Mary: What is Liberia?)
(Varun: What is Freeport?)

THE BEST DEFENSE $1000: The USA's cold war-era Skysweeper was this kind of artillery weapon

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Jenna: $5,000
Mary: $3,400
Varun: $3,200
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, December 19, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
HERE COMES BOO BOO, HONEY (4/5)
LITERARY LANDMARKS (4/5)
THAT MOVIE DID A NUMBER ON ME (5/5)
HISTORIC NAMES (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
LOOK ON THE UNION LABEL (0/1)
"'YS" WORDS (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jenna: 8 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
Varun: 5 R, 1 W
Mary: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 3 W

Clues revealed: 26
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $10,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jenna snagged the next Daily Double on the 15th clue. Varun had $6,000, Mary had $600, and Jenna was at $11,400. Jenna wagered $2,000.

HISTORIC NAMES $2000: In 1861, 4 years after being selected to preside over Mexico's supreme court, he was elected president
(Jenna: Who is Zapato?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
"'YS" WORDS $2000: The systematic investigation of something complex; you might see a shrink for it
(Mary: What is psychiatric?)

LITERARY LANDMARKS $2000: In 1923 Henry Ford bought this Sudbury, Mass. inn popularized by Longfellow to make it a museum of American history

HISTORIC NAMES $400: On Dec.15, 1812 he wrote his "Cartagena Manifesto" seeking support to oust the Spanish from Venezuela
(Alex: That was "The Liberator," [*].)

HISTORIC NAMES $1600: Although Catherine of Aragon had several children with Henry VIII, only this daughter survived infancy
(Mary: Who is Elizabeth?)
(Alex: Mary, I thought you'd
come up with [*]. She was the one
who survived.)

HERE COMES BOO BOO, HONEY $2000: In 2013 Giants FB Henry Hynoski, "The Hynoceros", injured his MCL, this collateral ligament, in his knee

LOOK ON THE UNION LABEL $2000: More than 70% of the members of this union, the CWA, work on the information highway
(Mary: What is the Communication Workers of America?)
[End-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Jenna: $11,400
Varun: $6,800
Mary: $4,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
TV CHARACTERS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
First equals second plus third.
Jenna: Wager $2,200. Risk any less and Varun may overtake you if you both get it right; risk any more and Mary may overtake you if you get it wrong.
Varun: Wager all $6,800. If Jenna bets correctly, then you'll tie for the win if you both get the correct response.
Mary: Wager all $4,600, and you have a hope of snatching up a tie for first with Jenna if you're the only one to provide the correct response.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Jerry Jones, Mark Cuban & Mayor Mike Rawlings were 3 of the real folks at the 2013 memorial for this TV character

FINAL SCORES
Mary: $4,600 - $4,600 = $0 (Who is Hank H) (3rd place: $1,000)
Varun: $6,800 + $4,601 = $11,401 (Who is Ewing) (2-day champion: $18,600)
Jenna: $11,400 - $2,201 = $9,199 (Who is ?) (2nd place: $2,000)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $13,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Jenna: $13,400, 18 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
Varun: $6,800, 11 R, 2 W
Mary: $4,600, 14 R (including 1 DD), 5 W
Combined Coryat: $24,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Jenna: 18/59 = .305
Mary: 14/59 = .237
Varun: 12/58 = .207
Team: 44/63 = .698

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
MAP QUEST $200: Incorporated as a city in 1853, it's on the shores of Lake Winnebago b'gosh

MAP QUEST $400: But will it play in this city, originally a settlement called Fort Crevecoeur?

MAP QUEST $600: Antelope Island, oddly home to a herd of wild buffalo,
is the largest island
in this U.S. body of water

MAP QUEST $800: A-squared equals good times in this city, home to a 40,000-student
university

MAP QUEST $1000: Named for a Spanish duke, it's the county seat of Bernalillo county

ANAGRAMS $400: Relative by marriage:
MENIAL WORTH
(Mary: What is...in...what is...[*]?)
[beep]
(Alex: Oh. [pauses] The judges say you got in in time. Alright, you pick again, Mary.)

THE BEST DEFENSE $200: World war I warships often had
dazzle painting as this, from the French for "disguise"

THE BEST DEFENSE $600: (Kelly of the Clue Crew presents the clue from Switzerland.) Known as the Toblerone trail, because they look like the chocolates,
the Swiss built fortifications in the 1930s to stop invasion by these,
such as Germany's Panzers

A GOOD OFFENSE $800: In the 2008-09 season, this univ.'s Huskies outscored their women's basketball opponents by double digits in every game
[End-of-round signal sounds.]

THAT MOVIE DID A NUMBER ON ME $1200: (Morgan Freeman presents the clue.) I played Detective Somerset in this 1995 film where Kevin Spacey left Brad Pitt a very unwanted gift

HERE COMES BOO BOO, HONEY $1200: Try not to pull or tear one of these 3 long muscles that run down each leg from the bottom of the pelvis
(Varun: What is a quadricep?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Surgeon General
Samuel Pepys
Kristin Chenoweth
Freetown
anti-aircraft
Benito Juárez
analysis
Wayside Inn
Simón Bolívar
Mary Tudor
medial
Communications Workers of America
J. R. Ewing
Oshkosh
Peoria
Great Salt Lake
Ann Arbor
Albuquerque
mother-in-law
camouflage
tanks
UConn
Seven
hamstring
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

TV Characters
Jerry Jones, Mark Cuban & Mayor Mike Rawlings were 3 of the real folks at the 2013 memorial for this TV character.

Spoiler
Who is J.R. Ewing? Mary said Hank H--(going for Hank Hill); Jenna had no guess

Jenna Johnson: $11,400-$2,201=$9,199
Varun Shekhar: $6,800+$4,601=$11,401...now a 2-day champion with $18,600
Mary Gildea: $4,600-$4,600=$0
Last edited by jeff6286 on Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

Was wondering how FJ wasn't a triple get, and then I realized the women didn't know who Jerry Jones and Mark Cuban are.

Facebook will probably light up tonight claiming the champs answer wasn't sufficient.
soxfan99

Post by soxfan99 »

Would just "J.R." be accepted? I assume it would be.

What is the rule for when just first names are okay? Is it different for real people and fictional characters?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

soxfan99 wrote:Would just "J.R." be accepted? I assume it would be.

What is the rule for when just first names are okay? Is it different for real people and fictional characters?
I suspect it would have (I would have been tempted to respond, "Who shot J.R. ?, but I'm not sure that would have been accepted).
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

Golf wrote:Was wondering how FJ wasn't a triple get, and then I realized the women didn't know who Jerry Jones and Mark Cuban are.

Facebook will probably light up tonight claiming the champs answer wasn't sufficient.
Ahem, the stereotyping is unnecessary. Also, one of them narrowed it down to Texas.

Instaget, of course. And yes, I knew who those guys were (except for the mayor) long before I moved to Dallas.
WJMorris3
Contributor

Post by WJMorris3 »

I had to guess on Final, fortunately I was able to put Jerry Jones and Mark Cuban to good use in thinking, "Didn't J.R. Ewing's actor die this year?"

Wagering on the other hand... I almost think Varun might have been better served with an all-in wager given that our leader probably should have left the extra dollar off today (as if she gets it wrong, she loses - by a dollar - to a third place doubleup.)
esrever

Post by esrever »

Congratulations vs1 on your second win!

I picked up Lach trash on "Samuel Pepys" and
"Wayside Inn"

Six clues left on the boards, including four in the
DJ! round. This is the most clues left in a game
in a long time. (Does anyone remember the last
time this happened?)

I wish the other four clues in the Union Label
category had been revealed, since I'm strong in
that area.

Didn't get FJ. I didn't know that any of those
people are associated with Dallas until I looked
them up. If I'd known they are associated with
Dallas, I would have gotten the right answer.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I liked this board a lot, and there was a lot of good Lach trash in this game.

I got lucky and guessed Benito Juarez on the DD. I always have a hard time keeping those Mexican leaders straight.

Television is never a good category for me, and this FJ was no exception. I guessed Walter White just to have something, although my first thought was Brian Griffin.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Technically Hagman died last year, on 11/23/2012. But the episode of the "new" Dallas where JR Ewing's services are held aired in 2013, apparently.

Trebek's hometown of Sudbury, Ontario must have a "cousin" city in Sudbury, Mass.(Wayside Inn clue)
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Golf wrote:Was wondering how FJ wasn't a triple get, and then I realized the women didn't know who Jerry Jones and Mark Cuban are.

My first thought was Walter White, but if either man had been at his memorial it would have been big news here in Albuquerque. I came up with the right answer about halfway through the think music.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

as nearly every character on that show is named Ewing, I was kind of surprised that they didn't need more.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Playing out of order yet again. I came in six clues into DJ! at the pizzeria, and watched the rest off my DVR at home later.

2/5 in Hodgepodge. I know Kristin Chenoweth only because she felt that "I Want Somebody to Bitch About" was a good title for a debut country single (it wasn't), and NHO Cassandra or Freetown.

Ran Anagrams and "YS", 0/4 in Offense of course.

Disappointed that "Woman Hitler" wasn't the anagram they chose for Mother-in-law. (Does that count as a Godwin's Law?)

Library was an 0/5, but I clamed on Pepys and Da Vinci, and was too slow on Congress and Surgeon General.

Map was tougher than I thought. The "will it play in" TOM was too obscure IMO, and Peoria is far from the only town in NW Illinois. For all I know it could've been Moline, Galesburg, maybe Bloomington/Normal if they were sloppy in placing the dot.. Also blanked on Albuquerque at $1000.

101 Dalmatians was overvalued in Movies. Still no love for The Number 23.

It felt like DJ! ended too soon after the LTAM. Felt like they only played one or two clues between the LTAM and time's-up signal. Anyone wanna double check that?

Blah blah blah, fictional character who died recently, Brian Griffin, done. J.R. Ewing never crossed my mind at all.
wallzy41
Seeking Degree in Jeopardy!

Post by wallzy41 »

Got fj! Almost instantly. I do believe, however that because Ewing was the only name given, the woman on the right should be brought back as iirc, the story of Dallas revolves around the Ewing family, not just JR.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Blah blah blah, fictional character who died recently, Brian Griffin, done. J.R. Ewing never crossed my mind at all.
When did Brian "die"? And when was this game taped? Think about it.
wallzy41 wrote:Got fj! Almost instantly. I do believe, however that because Ewing was the only name given, the woman on the right should be brought back as iirc, the story of Dallas revolves around the Ewing family, not just JR.
Then you should stamp your foot and declare "I am never watching Jeopardy again!" :D
wallzy41
Seeking Degree in Jeopardy!

Post by wallzy41 »

Nah, I'll be watching intently tomorrow. It's been a lifelong dream to play and so, I'll be watching regardless of aforementioned ruling.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:The "will it play in" TOM was too obscure IMO, and Peoria is far from the only town in NW Illinois.
Must be an age thing. If the clue was, "Will it play here?" and no map at all, it would have been just as much an instaget.
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

econgator wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:The "will it play in" TOM was too obscure IMO, and Peoria is far from the only town in NW Illinois.
Must be an age thing. If the clue was, "Will it play here?" and no map at all, it would have been just as much an instaget.
Yes, even with no context whatsoever, "Will it play in..." Is Pavlov for "Peoria".
billiej

Post by billiej »

I knew damned well who Jones and Cuban were. Which is why I got stuck trying to think of a fictional sports character that died recently and came up empty. Have never watched "Dallas" in either incarnation.