Wednesday, December 25, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, December 25, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6738, 2013-12-25

CONTESTANTS
Roxann Smith, a professional volunteer from Los Angeles, California
Anthony Niblett, a law professor from Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Larry White, an actuary from Hatboro, Pennsylvania (whose 2-day cash winnings total $49,624)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Ladies and gentlemen, merry Christmas to all of you. This is turning into a very happy holiday season for Larry White. As you've just heard, he's won, in two games, just a shade under $50,000. Both of those games were runaways. He couldn't be caught going into Final Jeopardy!. So, Roxann and Anthony, you've been following his progress. You know what you're up against, so good luck to you. Here we go --the Jeopardy! Round. And here are the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
JUST DESSERTS (4/5)
NEW YORKERS (5/5)
BEASTLY TITLE CHARACTERS (5/5) (Alex: You have to tell us what kind of animal.)
A DROP IN WHICH OCEAN? (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
CROSSWORD CLUES "P" (5/5)
HISTORY OF CARS (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Larry: 14 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 4 W
Anthony: 7 R, 0 W
Roxann: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,000

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Larry found the Daily Double on the 8th clue. Larry had $600, Anthony had $800, and Roxann had a deficit with -$600. Larry wagered $1,000.

A DROP IN WHICH OCEAN? $1000: The Mozambique Channel
(Alex: You can risk up to $1,000.)
(Larry: It's Christmas. We'll go for $1,000.)
(Alex: Now is the time for [*]. You were a little premature two clues earlier.)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Anthony: $2,800
Larry: $2,200
Roxann: $0

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Roxann Smith works as a CASA --not mi casa, su casa --that's a term that I've never heard. What is it, exactly?

Roxann: It stands for Court Appointed Special Advocate. We're appointed by the court. I work at the one here in Los Angeles County, and I'm an advocate for foster children who are in the system.

Alex: Okay. Good.

Alex: Anthony Niblett is a law professor from Toronto, Canada, but your accent is not Canadian, eh?

Anthony: No. No. I was born in England and spent most of my life in Australia, so that's why my accent's a little awesome.

Alex: Now, Australia carries our program, or did at one time.

Anthony: It did, it did, just for one year back in '93, hosted by Tony Barber. I loved it. It was my favorite program. Had to wait until I moved to North America to watch it again, though.

Alex: Okay. Good.

Alex: Larry White is our champion, as I mentioned at the top of the program. He's won almost $50,000 and has already figured out how he's gonna spend part of it.

Larry: Right --all five of my kids have managed to get themselves to Europe somehow. I have a sister-in-law and her family over there who come visit every year, but my wife and I haven't been there yet, so we have that earmarked, I guess, for next spring.

Alex: And where will that take you? Where does your sister-in-law live?

Larry: She lives in Stuttgart. I'm going to Paris.

Alex: Oh, hello. Okay.

[Laughter]

Alex: Does that mean you won't visit her? Don't answer.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
A DROP IN WHICH OCEAN? $600: The Sulu Sea
(Larry: What is the Indian Ocean?)

JUST DESSERTS $1000: A favorite at luaus, haupia is this flavor of pudding
(Larry: What's pineapple?)
(Alex: Not a bad guess, but it's not pineapple. It is [*].)

HISTORY OF CARS $400: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew reports from Petersen Automotive Museum in Los Angeles, California.) The 1930 Nash 482R had 2 spark plugs per cylinder, a top speed of 75 miles per hour, & one of these features, which was also known as the mother-in-law's seat
(Larry: What's a jump seat?)
(Alex: No. Be more specific.)
(Larry: ...jump-in-the-back seat?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Larry: $6,400
Anthony: $3,800
Roxann: $2,400
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, December 25, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ALL THE JINGLE LADIES (4/5)
IT'S BEEN A YEAR (5/5)
MEDICINE (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
13-LETTER WORDS (4/5)
FLAG TERMS (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
MYTHOLOGICAL CREATURES (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Anthony: 9 R, 1 W
Larry: 8 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Roxann: 6 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $10,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Larry snagged the next Daily Double on the 14th clue. Larry had $12,800, Anthony had $10,200, and Roxann was at $2,800. Larry wagered $6,000.

FLAG TERMS $800: From the Greek for "sign bearer", it's the type of flag used to send messages from ship to shore

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Roxann who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 21st clue. Larry had $19,600, Anthony had $10,200, and Roxann was at $3,200. Roxann wagered $3,000.

MEDICINE $1600: The name of this anti-inflammatory comes from the longer version, isobutylphenyl propionic acid
(Roxann: What is acetaminophen?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
FLAG TERMS $1600: It's the upper left portion of a flag; the rest of the flag is called the field or ground

FLAG TERMS $2000: The name of this rope used to hoist a flag is from the Middle English for "pull"

MEDICINE $800: Around 3 out of 5 organ transplants in the United States involve this organ
(Roxann: What is the heart?)
(Larry: What is the cornea?)

MEDICINE $2000: Epidemic parotitis is another name for this common childhood disease
(Anthony: What is whooping cough?)

13-LETTER WORDS $2000: Explained by Einstein in 1905, this "effect" of light on subatomic particles is fundamental to modern physics
(Alex: And that is the [*] effect.)

ALL THE JINGLE LADIES $1600: In 2012, this "bubbly" songbird warbled about "Mistletoe"
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Larry: $19,600
Anthony: $11,000
Roxann: $5,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AUTHORS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Larry: Wager $2,401 to cover Anthony, but no more than $9,599 so as not to fall behind Roxann's doubled score.
Anthony: You have the hope of surpassing Larry if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $8,601 to force Larry to wager to win; but if you're intent on holding on to second place, wager no more than $999 to protect your second place position from being usurped by Roxann.
Roxann: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
"The American Tolkien" was what Time magazine called this author with the same 2 middle initials as Tolkien

FINAL SCORES
Roxann: $5,000 - $4,998 = $2 (Who was Mencken?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Anthony: $11,000 + $8,601 = $19,601 (Who is George R R Martin) (New champion: $19,601)
Larry: $19,600 - $3,000 = $16,600 (Who is Bradbury?) (2nd place: $2,000)
(Alex: And his work inspired the popular television series Game of Thrones.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $12,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Larry: $14,400, 22 R (including 2 DDs), 5 W
Anthony: $11,000, 16 R, 1 W
Roxann: $8,000, 12 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $33,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Larry: 22/60 = .367
Anthony: 17/58 = .293
Roxann: 12/59 = .203
Team: 51/63 = .810

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
A DROP IN WHICH OCEAN? $800: The Laptev Sea
(Roxann: What is the Mediterranean?)

HISTORY OF CARS $200: (Kelly of the Clue Crew reports from Petersen Automotive Museum in Los Angeles, California.) Fred Astaire's elegant 1927 Rolls town car has many luxurious features, like a means of speaking to the chauffeur &, in the rear... a Louis Vuitton one of these, later a term for a car's built-in storage compartment

NEW YORKERS $600: A New York Public Library for the Performing Arts exhibit on this man includes a self-portrait from when he helped write a failed musical
(Larry: Who's Feiffer?)

JUST DESSERTS $800: Enjoy a cup of coffee with this coffee-flavored Italian dessert

HISTORY OF CARS $600: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew reports from Petersen Automotive Museum in Los Angeles, California.) The 1946 Kurtis Ross Page Special that raced in the first Indy 500 after World War II had this clear plastic for its windshield, much lighter than traditional material

HISTORY OF CARS $800: (Kelly of the Clue Crew reports from Petersen Automotive Museum in Los Angeles, California.) During World War II, the use of chrome was curtailed by Washington because it was needed for the war effort. This resulted in cars with little trim work that were referred to as these, also a term for a city's strategy against nighttime air raids

HISTORY OF CARS $1000: (Kelly of the Clue Crew reports from Petersen Automotive Museum in Los Angeles, California.) In 1901, 17-year-old Carl Breer attached a boiler & a crankshaft to a chassis to make an engine powered by this, which briefly challenged the combustion engine for supremacy

MYTHOLOGICAL CREATURES $1200: Here's our cuter version of this offspring of Typhon & Echidna--here, puppy

CORRECT RESPONSES
the Indian Ocean
the Pacific Ocean
coconut
the rumble seat
semaphore
ibuprofen
the canton
halyard
the kidney
mumps
photoelectric
Colbie Caillat
George R.R. Martin
the Arctic
a trunk
Al Hirschfeld
tiramisu
Plexiglas
blackout
steam
Cerberus
legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by legendneverdies »

ABC has a NBA doubleheader from 2-8PM EST. J! and WOF won't probably be seen on ABC stations today. None of the other networks have special programming today(ABC ran an XMas parade from 10AM-Noon EST today), so J! and WOF should air on most non-ABC stations today, unless local programming cuts in.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

As a NJ resident who gets NY and Philadelphia tv feeds, I'm getting shut out of Jeopardy today as both cities carry J!on ABC.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

AUTHORS

"The American Tolkien" is what Time called this author with the same 2 middle initials as Tolkien.
Spoiler
Who is George R.R. Martin? Roxanne said Mencken, Larry said Bradbury.
Roxann Smith: $5,000-$4,998=$2
Larry White: $19,600-$3,000=$16,600
Anthony Niblett: $11,000+$8,601=$19,601......new one day champion with $19,601
Last edited by Bamaman on Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

A dominating game by Larry, but not dominating enough as he is undone in FJ. He had a couple bad negs that wound up costing him.

Sci-fi isn't my thing, so I had no chance on FJ.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Sister had the hots for our new champ.

====

What was the TOM for Jackie Kennedy on $200? I got only $400 there.

Pharmacist was my only miss in "P". I almost made a Wheel call-back by blurting out "pill-pusher".

Got only the first two in Ocean. I thought using Pacific twice was dirty pool. Never would've guessed on the bottom two, since my mind always craps out on oceans after Atlantic and Pacific.

Beastly Title Characters was an easy run. Rikki-Tikki-Tavi was an interesting synchronicity, since one of my Christmas gifts was a Chuck Jones DVD that had his adaptation of that story and a few other Kipling stories.

So "jump seat" gets a BMS for "rumble seat", but Gershwin doesn't?

Dessert for $1000 was a total trap clue. Pineapple? No? Then what the bleep could it be?… Oh, DUUUUUUH.

====

Infrastructure was overvalued big time. No recognition on the middle three in that category, but I got $400 since a friend was talking about it.

Too slow on Sphinx to run Mythology. I keep forgetting that Sphinx was an actual mythological beast and not just that statue.

Heart/Kidney was another 50/50 in hindsight, but I couldn't pull anything up after heart was negged. I was also through sickle-cell, and couldn't filter "ibuprofen" out of that ginormous word if you'd given me all day. Also have no idea what mumps are other than "a disease", so I was lost there.

Got only the top and bottom in Jingle Ladies.

====

Same two middle initials. R.R.… George R.R. Martin. Thank you, TV Tropes.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Sister had the hots for our champ.

What was the TOM for Jackie Kennedy on $200? I got only $400 there.
I don't remember the whole clue, but I do recall it saying she was a first lady born in 1929 in New York.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I felt like there were some overvalued clues in this game. "Infrastructure", at $2000, was my only get in the "It's Been a Year" category. I also thought that "photoelectric effect" was overvalued at $2000, and was surprised that it was a triple stumper.

I picked up the Lach trash on "canton", but I did horribly in the rest of the category that was on flags.

I blanked on FJ, but it was a forehead slapper when Alex made his post clue/pre-reveal remark.

I am disappointed to see Larry go, if for no reason other than his bold DD wagers. It ended up not mattering for the guy who was in the middle, but I wanted to yell at the challengers for going to the top of the board when time was winding down in the DJ round.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

StevenH wrote: I am disappointed to see Larry go, if for no reason other than his bold DD wagers. It ended up not mattering for the guy who was in the middle, but I wanted to yell at the challengers for going to the top of the board when time was winding down in the DJ round.
Too bad he wasn't $2,400 bolder on the one he got in the second round. The game might have had a different ending if one of the guys had hit the other one. Had Roxanne gotten hers right, there would have been a tie for second going into FJ and Antony wins $22,000.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

In case Roxann or Anthony are here those are the spellings used for their introductions.

I was yelling at them for rumbleseat. I'll take 4/5 in a Cars category any night. At least Anthony had trunk and didn't say boot.

I only knew lava cake from watching MasterChef Junior.

Anthony got $1600 on the next to last clue to break the lock. Larry's $6000 on his second DD was more than most wager, but it still was not enough. Too bad for him.

Because of the date my precalls for Authors were Clement Moore, O. Henry and Charles Dickens. When I saw the clue there was little to do. Another author with "R.R." in the middle? Done. Larry may not have known who to guess, but no doubt he knows hundreds of people who did. That's the kind of clue family, friends, neighbors and coworkers get.

No problem getting the game aired locally although the Lakers kept it closer than I would have guessed.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Not that it would have helped, but I thought the clue said his initials were just R.R. and the only person with those initials who came to mind was Richard Roundtree and he isn't an author.

Spelling of names in my first post have been corrected thanks to Keith's website.
Last edited by Bamaman on Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Sister had the hots for our new champ.
It's the accent. :)
TenPoundHammer wrote: Heart/Kidney was another 50/50 in hindsight
"Heart" shouldn't be part of a 50/50, or even considered, if one thinks about it - heart transplants aren't all that common, which is why the world was abuzz about the first one only about 50 years ago. For one thing, the recipient of the heart has to be, of course, dead, whereas kidney transplants happen quite often (comparatively speaking) as the donor can donate and still keep one and live a full and productive life.
MarkBarrett wrote:At least Anthony had trunk and didn't say boot.
He's probably been in Canada too long. :) (Our lexicon closely resembles the American one, especially in terms of car parts (there aren't any that come to mind that differ from the American term and/or are the same as the British term.))
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

dhkendall wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Sister had the hots for our new champ.
It's the accent. :)
Agreed. I wish I had that accent.
dhkendall wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:At least Anthony had trunk and didn't say boot.
He's probably been in Canada too long. :) (Our lexicon closely resembles the American one, especially in terms of car parts (there aren't any that come to mind that differ from the American term and/or are the same as the British term.))
Along the same lines, I was impressed that Anthony snagged Mark Sanford.
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

dhkendall wrote:"Heart" shouldn't be part of a 50/50, or even considered, if one thinks about it - heart transplants aren't all that common, which is why the world was abuzz about the first one only about 50 years ago. For one thing, the recipient of the heart has to be, of course, dead, whereas kidney transplants happen quite often (comparatively speaking) as the donor can donate and still keep one and live a full and productive life.
And that's even more obvious in hindsight. Then again, I'm the dumb!#%$@ that didn't specifically know what the mumps are, so it's clear I need to retake an anatomy class or something.
Vermonter wrote:Agreed. I wish I had that accent.
I'd take that over my own nasal, grating screech. I sound like a cross between Gary LeVox (of Rascal Flatts) and Gilbert Gottfried.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

It took me waaay to long to remember Martin's name considering I've read all the A Song of Ice and Fire books, but I finally got it about halfway through the think music. Whew.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote: I'd take that over my own nasal, grating screech. I sound like a cross between Gary LeVox (of Rascal Flatts) and Gilbert Gottfried.
You really haven't heard me speak, have you? :) (I've linked a couple of times on here to the YouTube clip of my comedy routine which is probably used as a form of torture in some economically depressed countries to see how long people can stand listening to that voice.)

And, keep in mind, both of those people you stated are famous and make a lot of money, in spite of their voice (Gary LeVox would still be famous because of his songs, and Gottfried would still be famous from his comedy), so don't knock us funny-voiced, you just shouldn't beat yourself up over it. (Of course, you never listen to us anyways, you'll probably make that a self-fulfilling prophecy.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Sage on the Hudson

Game of Groans

Post by Sage on the Hudson »

Bamaman wrote:Sci-fi isn't my thing, so I had no chance on FJ.
There's an immense gulf between science fiction and fantasy; things like Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones are not science fiction. Any real, discerning science fiction reader or fan finds the all-too-common conflating of the two quite offensive.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Re: Game of Groans

Post by bomtr »

Sage on the Hudson wrote:
Bamaman wrote:Sci-fi isn't my thing, so I had no chance on FJ.
There's an immense gulf between science fiction and fantasy; things like Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones are not science fiction. Any real, discerning science fiction reader or fan finds the all-too-common conflating of the two quite offensive.
You should take this up with the Hugo Award Society, and while you're at it, chat with the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America who award the Nebula Awards annually. They seem confused as to the offensiveness of their awards. Also, much of Martin's early work was science fiction. Not that I totally disagree with your main point.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Fantasy isn't my thing, either.