Thursday, December 26, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, December 26, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6739, 2013-12-26

CONTESTANTS
Genevieve LeClerc, a graduate student and sales manager from Lake Forest Park, Washington
Jerry Slowik, a writer from Arlington Heights, Illinois
Anthony Niblett, a law professor from Toronto, Ontario, Canada (whose 1-day cash winnings total $19,601)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Happy Boxing Day, everyone. Boxing Day is big in Canada and in Great Britain, and that means it's big for Anthony. Jerry and Genevieve, welcome, aboard, and good luck to you. Here we go into the Jeopardy! Round. Let's see if you can earn some money with these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
MARK TWAIN (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
"TOM" & "HUCK" (5/5)
LIFE ON THE MISSISSIPPI (3/4)
CELEBRATED JUMPING FROGS (4/5)
THE PRINTS (4/5)
THE PAUPER (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jerry: 17 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 2 W
Anthony: 6 R, 2 W
Genevieve: 1 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,800

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jerry found the Daily Double on the 8th clue. Anthony had $600, Jerry had $3,000, and Genevieve had nothing in the bank. Jerry made it a True Daily Double, wagering $3,000.

MARK TWAIN $600: Twain satirized the customs & institutions of the feudal world in this 1889 novel

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Jerry: $7,000
Anthony: -$200
Genevieve: -$1,800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Genevieve LeClerc is from Washington. I thought my wife, Jean, had a lot of cookbooks, and she does, but you, I understand, have how many?

Genevieve: Probably more than 500.

Alex: Now, my wife uses them because she likes to cook. Are you a cooker, or do you just like to do the research and see what people have been eating throughout the years?

Genevieve: No, I definitely am a cook and a baker, so I use them all --almost all of them.

Alex: Yeah. Pastry?

Genevieve: Yes.

Alex: Hey, that's cool. All right. Good luck.

Alex: Jerry Slowik is from Illinois, and he is obsessed with the films of Stanley Kubrick. What's your favorite one of all of his?

Jerry: That's right. I have to go with 2001: A Space Odyssey. I saw a number of them early in my life, and just from that point forward, I was quite impressed.

Alex: [ as HAL ] You have to stop, Dave. Dave, I'm getting sleepy.

Jerry: [ as HAL ] Why don't you take a stress pill and think things over? [ laughter ]

Alex: Isn't it amazing that they --that they thought of a computer that could read lips?

Jerry: Yeah.

Alex: Whoa. Scary stuff.

Alex: All right, Ant-ony --I keep saying Anthony, but he doesn't mind. Anthony Niblett from Toronto. He teaches what kind of law?

Anthony: I teach contract law, and I also teach economic analysis of law at the University of Toronto. It's great.

Alex; Now, is the kind of law you teach in Canada exactly the same as the law practiced here in the states?

Anthony: It's not exactly the same, but it's very, very similar.

Alex: Yeah?

Anthony: It's very similar.

Alex: Yeah. What's the biggest problem that we face nowadays? Crooks in business?

Anthony: Oh, I --yeah, why not? [ laughter ]

Alex; I led him into that one.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
MARK TWAIN $800: The only known moving picture ever taken of Mark Twain is in a silent film produced by this man's studio in 1909
(Jerry: Who is Griffith?)

MARK TWAIN $1000: The prince in "The Prince and the Pauper" was this historical figure, son of Henry VIII & Jane Seymour
(Anthony: Who is Edward IV?)
(Genevieve: Who is Edward III?)

THE PRINTS $1000: You'll find a word for a figure of speech within this term for an exact duplication of an image
(Alex: The figure of speech is a simile, and the word for duplication is a [*].)

CELEBRATED JUMPING FROGS $1000: The celebrated jumping frog of Calaveras County was named after this New Hampshire orator & statesman
(Jerry: Who is Henry Clay?)

LIFE ON THE MISSISSIPPI $1000: Named for an Indian princess, the city of Winona in this state has been a vital port since the days of paddle wheelers
(Anthony: What is Louisiana?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Jerry: $10,000
Anthony: $400
Genevieve: -$1,000
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, December 26, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE BEATITUDES (3/5)
WHERE ARE "-U"? (4/5) (Alex: Each correct response will end with the letter U.)
THE RUSSIAN REVOLUTION (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
OPERA MOMS (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
BOXING DAY (3/5)
THE ANTONYM OF... (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jerry: 13 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Anthony: 8 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Genevieve: 1 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 7
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $10,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Anthony snagged the next Daily Double on the 3rd clue. Anthony had $1,200, Jerry had $10,400, and Genevieve had a deficit with -$1,000. Anthony wagered $2,000.

THE RUSSIAN REVOLUTION $1200: Leader of the Red Army during the civil war, he met his demise in Mexico 2 decades later

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Jerry who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 13th clue. Anthony had $5,200, Jerry had $13,600, and Genevieve had a deficit with -$1,000. Jerry wagered $2,400.

OPERA MOMS $1600: Hata & Ludmila are 2 moms who deal with the marriage broker Kecal in this Smetana opera
(Jerry: What is The Matchmaker?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE RUSSIAN REVOLUTION $1600: This man's "Ten Days that Shook the World" was the 1st major account of the revolution to appear in the United States

BOXING DAY $800: As Cassius Clay, Muhammad Ali fought in the Olympics at this weight class, not heavyweight
(Jerry: What is welterweight?)

OPERA MOMS $2000: In this "numeric" opera, Jonathan Peachum's wife reveals that Macheath is their daughter's beau--thanks, mom!

BOXING DAY $2000: Last name of the 2 brothers who both won gold medals for the U.S. at the 1976 Olympics

WHERE ARE "-U"? $2000: Here, "where Alph, the sacred river, ran"

THE BEATITUDES $400: 2 groups that are blessed are "the poor in spirit" & "the pure in" this

THE BEATITUDES $2000: Above an eight-sided interior, the dome of the church represents the ninth group, who suffered this, from the Latin for "pursue"

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Jerry: $20,400 (lock game)
Anthony: $8,800
Genevieve: -$200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
TECH TERMS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place.
Jerry: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $2,799 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Anthony: You've no hope of catching up... unless Jerry does something stupid. So risk as much as $8,799; you needn't worry about falling into third place.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In a July 1990 post Yisrael Radai called this 7-letter term "a word I just coined for Trojans, viruses, worms etc,"

FINAL SCORES
Anthony: $8,800 - $0 = $8,800 (What is Nope, Sorry) (2nd place: $2,000)
Jerry: $20,400 + $2,799 = $23,199 (What is malware?) (New champion: $23,199)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $15,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Jerry: $20,400, 30 R (including 1 DD), 4 W (including 1 DD)
Anthony: $8,000, 14 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Genevieve: -$200, 2 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $28,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Jerry: 31/60 = .517
Anthony: 14/59 = .237
Genevieve: 2/58 = .034
Team: 47/63 = .746

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
MARK TWAIN $400: A crowning event
in Twain's life was receiving an honorary degree from this British university in 1907

THE PRINTS $800: Rembrandt was a master of this seven-letter
printmaking method, as seen here
(Genevieve: What is lithography?)

LIFE ON THE MISSISSIPPI $800: This Mississippi River port city was called "the Gibraltar of the Confederacy"; it fell to Union forces July 4, 1863
[End-of-round signal sounds.]

BOXING DAY $1600: Insectoid name for the professional boxing weight class from 108 to 112 pounds
(Anthony: What is fleaweight?)

THE BEATITUDES $800: (Sarah of the Clue Crew presents the clue from Israel.)
I'm at the Church
of the Beatitudes, on the hill where Jesus spoke the words, "Blessed are these people, for they shall inherit the earth."

CORRECT RESPONSES
A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court
Thomas Edison
Edward VI
facsimile
Daniel Webster
Minnesota
Trotsky
The Bartered Bride
John Reed
light heavyweight
The Threepenny Opera
Spinks
Xanadu
heart
persecution
malware
Oxford
etching
Vicksburg
flyweight
the meek
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Tech Terms
In a July 1990 post Yisrael Radai called this 7-letter term "A word I just coined for Trojans, viruses, worms etc."

Spoiler
What is malware? Anthony had no guess.

Jerry Slowik: $20,400+$2,799=$23,199...now a 1-day champion with $23,199
Anthony Niblett: $8,800-$0=$8,800
Genevieve LeClerc: (-$200)
Last edited by jeff6286 on Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

At the first break, I had run Tom/Huck, but was 0/5 in Twain and Printmaking.

Twain for $200 seemed a bit open-ended. I almost WAGged Mason-Dixon Line. Most of the Equator is over sea instead of land, so traveling over it didn't seem conducive to a book for me.

NHO "impression" in the printmaking sense, so the "make a good" TOM went over my head.

I processed "figure of speech" as "part of speech" and was wondering if some word had "noun" in it.

Missed only Webster in Frogs.

3/5 in Pauper. Chavez = Venezuela always eludes me when I need it, and I clammed on Carnegie.

Anyone else get Winona, MN? I didn't really see a viable TOM for it, but I somehow got it because my mall research brought up a very small mall in Winona, MN.

====

Add "Beatitudes" right below "Stations of the Cross" to the list of "Church-y things I've never heard of". Still got the first two and clammed on "peacemaker".

Russian Revolution, Opera, and Boxing? I was about to say "three categories I can expect to 0/5 in before any clues come up", but I got Bartered Bride because a tune from it was programmed into the first keyboard I ever owned.

There's such a thing as a "light heavyweight"? That clue was total trash IMO. No way to tease it out, and half the answer being in the clue was a nice red herring.

Clammed on "apathy" to stay at 4/5 in Antonyms.

====

"After hanging holiday lights, this brand has the strength…" Way to dangling modifier, Aleve guys. But that must be a really talented pill if it can hang holiday lights.

====

FJ! was an instaget.
esrever

Post by esrever »

Ran the Tom/Huck category, like TPH did.

Picked up Lach trash on "Spinks" and "heart"

I got FJ, but it took me about ten seconds.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Good debut by Jerry. The lady had no chance today....

Before others point out - either of the two (other than Jerry) should have picked up the last clue.

Easy FJs so far this week.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I arrived at malware after about 20 seconds. I'm not a techie. It's tiring to watch yet another early dismissal. Was "persecution" that tough? I like the new champ & I thought anthony would be a one timer.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Jerry had a jerk clapper in the audience, instigating a round of applause for a non-run of a category and Alex's condolences to Geneviève.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote:Jerry had a jerk clapper in the audience, instigating a round of applause for a non-run of a category and Alex's condolences to Geneviève.
Yes, there were definitely some ill-timed applauses tonight. Your explanation sounds good to me.

Usually I'll take any kind of sports category. Tonight I'm with Hammer as I lost the coin toss on middleweight over light heavyweight not sure which to try. Then I could not figure out the hint to get flyweight. I am plenty old enough to remember watching the Spinks bros. in 1976 though.

Tech Terms was guaranteed trouble for me as I had all the DDs correct and my Coryat beat the combined. To have a guess my seven letters went to spambot. When I saw Jerry's malware I did not need Alex to tell me that was it. The clue had enough to solve it; I'm just not good at those kind of clues.

Nightmare night for Genevieve, but there were tasty leftover the guys had on the table for her to avoid the red.

So Jerry Slowik is a writer. Anyone know his area? I'm always curious if anyone should get added to Rex's author thread.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

I thought of spyware and was too satisfied with that to think any further.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

MarkBarrett wrote:Nightmare night for Genevieve, but there were tasty leftover the guys had on the table for her to avoid the red.
Definitely. I think she was just shellshocked after getting in the hole.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I knew Clay was a light heavyweight in Rome, but if you didn't, then just knowing it was the next class down from heavyweight would make it a good guess. Flyweight was a know it or you don't type clues, glad I knew it. Ran the rest of boxing.

For the pie, I zoned in on pumpkin and was trying to figure out how they got huck from that. :oops:

It took me a bit to pull out malware, but I got there.

When the beatitudes started slowly for the guys and then Genevieve went on a brief run (her only buzz in during the round) and the scores were $17,600/$8,800, I thought we might have a lock/tie game.

Anyone else catch Jerry's thumbs up when he got the lock on the penultimate clue?

If you are in second in a two player lock game, why not bet it all? At least bet something.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote:I knew Clay was a light heavyweight in Rome, but if you didn't, then just knowing it was the next class down from heavyweight would make it a good guess.
Then it was the next class down, now it isn't (cruiserweight is and has been since 1980). So you have to know what the order was and when it changed.

If you played in my last (I think) TD, I asked for one of the boxing weight classes, so flyweight was easy for me.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Bamaman wrote: If you are in second in a two player lock game, why not bet it all? At least bet something.
I'd be interested to hear Vermonter's opinion (or read it on his blog), but there's pretty much no wager that Anthony could have made that would be better than another, or at least not worse than another. (Sure, betting it all increases your chances of winning if the locker does something foolish, but that's rarely planned for or advised by armchair wagerers as it happens so seldom outside of Cheers episodes.)
Johnblue wrote:Was "persecution" that tough?
One of the words in the clue (I think the Latin word or something like that?) was too similar to "persecution" to make me pull the trigger, given that was a bottom-row clue.
MarkBarrett wrote: Tonight I'm with Hammer as I lost the coin toss on middleweight over light heavyweight not sure which to try.
There's a simple solution to that, don't even try if it's a coin flip. I have found the #1 thing that has improved my Coryats over the years, more than anything else, is cutting back on negs. To that end I only ring in if I'm at least 80% confident on the clue, because negs can really kill you if you get enough of them. A "coin flip" isn't near the 80% threshold to attempt a buzz-in.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I know there is a .0000000000000000001% chance that doubling up will do any good, but with nothing to lose, you might as well go for it.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Bamaman wrote:I know there is a .0000000000000000001% chance that doubling up will do any good, but with nothing to lose, you might as well go for it.
My point is that if there's an infinitesimal chance that you can win the game with a 17600 total, there's an equally infinitesimal chance that you can win the game with a 8800 total. It all depends on how crazy you think the leader will Clavin, and you can't predict crazy.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

dhkendall wrote:
Bamaman wrote:I know there is a .0000000000000000001% chance that doubling up will do any good, but with nothing to lose, you might as well go for it.
My point is that if there's an infinitesimal chance that you can win the game with a 17600 total, there's an equally infinitesimal chance that you can win the game with a 8800 total. It all depends on how crazy you think the leader will Clavin, and you can't predict crazy.
I'd say there's much more than an infinitesimal chance that the leader turns out to be one of those (non-crazy) people who doesn't mind giving 2nd place a chance for a tie.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

If I don't go for coin tosses then how will I ever be correct with Oxford?

For Clay I figured it was one or the other (the choices were more limited in 1960?) and if I could could get the weight class one right then I liked my chances for a run. (As I showed for millions in 2005, my playing style is not as disciplined as should be.) Having another weight class at $800 surprised me. I expected the category to have more famous names.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

If I had just doubled up on someone who had been doubled up the day before and only won because he got FJ and the leader didn't, I might be tempted to offer a tie if I miss FJ.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote:If I don't go for coin tosses then how will I ever be correct with Oxford?

For Clay I figured it was one or the other (the choices were more limited in 1960?) and if I could could get the weight class one right then I liked my chances for a run. (As I showed for millions in 2005, my playing style is not as disciplined as should be.) Having another weight class at $800 surprised me. I expected the category to have more famous names.
In 1960 the biggest class was heavyweight, with light heavy and then middle below it. In 1984, the new class of superheavyweight was created, with heavyweight the second highest and lightheavy and middle following.

The cruiserweight class exists only in professional boxing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic_boxing