Friday, January 3, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, January 3, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6745, 2014-01-03

CONTESTANTS
Lee May, a merchandising manager originally from Roanoke, Virginia
Ilissa Gold, an attorney originally from Nashville, Tennessee
Sarah Olson, a project coordinator from El Cerrito, California (whose 1-day cash winnings total $10,600)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to our show. For the first time in this new year, I get to use the word "giant-killer", because that's what our lady in red, Sarah Olson, was on yesterday's show, sending Jerry Slowik home with just about $123,000. He'll be back on the program for our Tournament of Champions. Ilissa and Lee, welcome aboard to you two, and good luck to all three. Here we go. The Jeopardy! Round comes first, and these are the categories that we start off with...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
CHANGE YOU CAN BELIEVE IN (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS (4/5)
CRY FOWL! (5/5)
ACTORS WHO WRITE (5/5)
ANSWERS IN ABUNDANCE (5/5) (Alex: The word "abundance" has 9 letters, and each corre ct response will be made up of those letters.)
IN OLD NEW MEXICO (3/5) (Kelly: [*], outside Santa Fe, El Rancho de las Golondrinas re-creates life the way it was a century or two or three ago.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Lee: 15 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Ilissa: 6 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Sarah: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,600

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Ilissa found the Daily Double on the 8th clue. Sarah had $200, Ilissa had $1,200, and Lee was at $1,000. Ilissa wagered $1,000.

CHANGE YOU CAN BELIEVE IN $600: The back of a U.S. quarter featuring this place calls it the "Isla del Encanto"
(Ilissa: What is the isle of enchantment?)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Lee: $2,000
Ilissa: $1,000
Sarah: $0

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Both of our challengers on the program today enjoy strenuous physical activity. Lee May, you are a caver and a rappeller. And where do you do this?

Lee: So, I do a lot of it, uh, down in the Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee area.

Alex: Yeah?

Lee: And most of it's done underground.

Alex: I know, but what--how deep do you go into these caves?

Lee: Um, it--it depends. You know, uh, the deepest one, uh, in the U.S. right now is a little over 600 feet. I'd like to get there one day. It's nice and peaceful, nice and quiet down there.

Alex: And is there water at the bottom of that cave?

Lee: A lot of times there is. A lot of times there's very cold water.

Alex: Yeah. Is it warm as you go further down? I've found that, uh, as you go down a couple of hundred feet, it does tend to get a little warmer.

Lee: It's actually--it's actually usually pretty consistent. It's around, you know, depending where you are in the country, about 50, 55 degrees, so, um, you know, if you're in the winter, it's warm. If you're in the summer, it's cool.

Alex: Okay. Good.

Alex: Now, Ilissa Gold is a scuba diver--went scuba diving in Bora Bora and was not afraid of the sharks. Why not?

Ilissa: The sharks, you know, mostly kept their distance from us. It was the barracudas you had to worry about.

Alex: What would they do?

Ilissa: They were coming up very, very close. It--

Alex: Very aggressive?

Ilissa: Not aggressive, but coming close enough to cause concern.

Alex: Uh-huh. Okay. I'm warned.

Alex: Sarah Olson is a project coordinator from, uh, Southern California who works for a researcher who is working toward achieving a specific purpose with young people. What is that?

Sarah: Yeah, they're trying to reduce smoking. It's a critical age. If you don't become a smoker by the time that you're about 25 or so, you probably will never become one, so that's the time to really try do reduce and get people to not to start taking up the habit.

Alex: And what's the best way to do this? How do you discourage young people who think of it as a sign of maturity, even though they're 13 or 14 years old?

Sarah: You have to kind of change the message and teach them that there are other ways to be cool than smoking.

Alex: Yes.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS $1000: In 1810 Sebastien Erard patented a pedal device for this instrument that changed the pitch of its strings
(Lee: What is the piano?)
(Sarah: What is the guitar?)

IN OLD NEW MEXICO $600: (Kelly of the Clue Crew delivers the clue from Santa Fe, New Mexico.) El Rancho de Las Golondrinas was the last stop before Santa Fe for wagons traveling on this 1,200-mile Spanish-named road from Mexico City; for 300 years, it was the main route into New Mexico
(Alex: And it was known as [*], the Royal Road.)

IN OLD NEW MEXICO $1000: (Kelly of the Clue Crew delivers the clue from Santa Fe, New Mexico.) Spain wouldn't send fine Merino sheep to north America, so the mainstay of colonial textiles were these sheep, still bred today; the name means "coarse" or "rough", & you may know it from a sweet treat with a rough, ribbed texture
(Alex: And those are [*] sheep.)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Lee: $8,000
Ilissa: $2,200
Sarah: $400
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, January 3, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
QUOTABLE PLAYS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
NAME THAT FOOD! (5/5)
BASEBALL: THE 1950s (1/3)
CANADIAN PROVINCES (5/5)
PARTS OF SPEECH (3/5)
THE HISTORIC SEÑOR-"A" OR SEÑORIT-"A" (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Sarah: 11 R (including 3 rebounds and 1 DD), 2 W
Ilissa: 5 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Lee: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 4 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $10,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Sarah snagged the next Daily Double on the 13th clue. Sarah had $6,000, Ilissa had $4,600, and Lee was at $11,600. Sarah wagered $2,000.

QUOTABLE PLAYS $1200: From Act I of this play:
"She can't see!... Or hear. When I screamed she didn't blind; not an eyelash"

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Ilissa who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 23rd clue. Sarah had $14,000, Ilissa had $4,200, and Lee was at $9,200. Ilissa made it a True Daily Double, wagering $4,200.

THE HISTORIC SEÑOR-"A" OR SEÑORIT-"A" $1200: Her father, Pope Alexander VI, arranged several marriages for her, including one at age 13 in 1493 to Giovanni Sforza
(Alex: Oh, thank you for giving me the first name.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
PARTS OF SPEECH $800: "This" and "some" are examples of the limiting type of these
(Lee: What are pronouns?)
(Sarah: What are articles?)

PARTS OF SPEECH $2000: On "Schoolhouse Rock!" this part of speech was presented by the Lolly family

THE HISTORIC SEÑOR-"A" OR SEÑORIT-"A" $1600: As Wisconsin's Chancellor, this future Cabinet member was the first woman to head a Big-10 school

THE HISTORIC SEÑOR-"A" OR SEÑORIT-"A" $2000: The daughter of Belgium's King Leopold I, she was Empress of Mexico from 1864 to 1867

BASEBALL: THE 1950s $2000: In a 1951 playoff game, he hit the "shot heard 'round the world" propelling the Giants into the World Series

BASEBALL: THE 1950s $1600: In 1958 this man, "Mr. Cub", hit 47 home runs, still the National League record for a shortstop
(Lee: Who is Sandburg?)
(Alex: Who is... let's play two... [*]?)
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Sarah: $14,000
Ilissa: $8,400
Lee: $8,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
20th CENTURY QUOTATIONS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Sarah: Wager $2,801 to cover Ilissa.
Ilissa: You have the hope of surpassing Sarah if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $7,601 to force Sarah to wager to win while also protecting your position from being usurped by Lee.
Lee: Your only hope of a win is that you're the only one to give a correct response, so bet $7,998 or so, leaving a few bucks behind in case someone wagers it all.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1947 Churchill called it "the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried"

FINAL SCORES
Lee: $8,000 + $7,500 = $15,500 (What is democracy?) (3rd place)
Ilissa: $8,400 + $8,399 = $16,799 (What is democracy?) (2nd place)
Sarah: $14,000 + $2,801 = $16,801 (What is democracy?) (10601-day champion: $16,801)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $12,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Sarah: $13,200, 16 R (including 1 DD), 4 W
Lee: $8,000, 21 R, 5 W
Ilissa: $6,400, 11 R (including 1 DD), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $27,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Lee: 22/58 = .379
Sarah: 17/59 = .288
Ilissa: 12/60 = .200
Team: 51/63 = .810

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
CRY FOWL! $200: Canada &
snow
(Alex: [*] is right. That's the fowl.)

CRY FOWL! $1000: Lady Amherst's &
ring-necked
(Sarah: What is pigeon?)

ANSWERS IN ABUNDANCE $200: Lima or pinto
(Ilissa: What are beans?)
(Alex: There's no "S" in "abundance", and each correct response is made up of the letters you find in the word "abundance".)

IN OLD NEW MEXICO $200: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew delivers the clue from Santa Fe, New Mexico.) A longtime fixture in New Mexico, the versatile horno, or beehive oven, keeps its temperature for several hours; 1 common use is making chicos, a treat from this staple Indian grain

IN OLD NEW MEXICO $400: (Kelly of the Clue Crew delivers the clue from Santa Fe, New Mexico.) The arrival of the Spanish in the 16th century changed the whole way of life in this area; 1 example was the introduction of this Spanish-named work animal of Las Golondrinas Ranch

IN OLD NEW MEXICO $800: (Kelly of the Clue Crew delivers the clue from Santa Fe, New Mexico.) After settling in the Southwest U.S., this once-semi-nomadic tribe began weaving; while Hopi designs were limited to stripes, their people introduced geometric shapes like zigzags & diamonds

CANADIAN PROVINCES $400: The name of this province is said to mean "rocks standing high", referring to Niagara Falls
(Sarah: What is Saskatchewan?)

CANADIAN PROVINCES $1200: The Isthmus of Chignecto joins the peninsula of this Atlantic province to the Canadian mainland

CANADIAN PROVINCES $2000: Alphabetically, it's the last of Canada's 3 prairie provinces
(Alex: Yes, now is the time for that one.)

NAME THAT FOOD! $1200: Sautéed in a mix of rum, brown sugar & banana liqueur & poured over vanilla ice cream, go Bananas this!
(Lee: What is flambee?)

QUOTABLE PLAYS $1600: "Wait! One more look. Good-by, good-by world! Good-by, Grover's Corners"
(Lee: What is Death Of A Salesman?)

PARTS OF SPEECH $1200: "An eagle and a leopard saw the goat" has 3 of these, totaling 6 letters
(Alex: Now is the time for [*], yes.)

PARTS OF SPEECH $1600: Polysyndeton is the repetition of this part of speech for effect, as in "It was red and yellow and green and brown"
(Ilissa: What is adjective?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Puerto Rico
the harp
El Camino Real
churro
The Miracle Worker
Lucrezia Borgia
adjectives
adverb
Donna Shalala
Carlota
Bobby Thomson
Ernie Banks
democracy
goose
pheasant
bean
corn
a burro
the Navaho
Ontario
Nova Scotia
Saskatchewan
Foster
Our Town
articles
a conjunction
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

20th Century Quotations
In 1947 Churchill called it "The worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried".

Spoiler
What is Democracy?

Sarah Olson: $14,000+$2,801=$16,801...now a 2-day champion with $27,401
Lee May: $8,000+$7,500=$15,500
Ilissa Gold: $8,400+$8,399=$16,799
Last edited by jeff6286 on Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Though she had a slow start, her victory was assured when both challengers corrected Alex during their interviews.

I would have thought Lee May would know more about baseball than he did. At least he knew Sandberg was a Cub.

I cringed when Ilisa left $200 on the table in her first round DD, but she made up for it by going all in later, which wound up earning her an extra $1,000 for coming in second.

I sang the Conjunction Junction song during the parts of speech category and was rewarded one clue later with another chance to show off my vocal talents. Not sure what was sadder to me, a Schoolhouse Rock song being a TS or baseball not being finished.

FJ was pretty much an instaget. I knew what he meant, just took me a second to pull the word out.

Wagering comments.....

Sarah-Made the MSB, no problem there.

Illisa-She has to bet big to cover third place, but why leave a dollar behind? There is a greater chance Sarah offers a tie than there is she bets everything.

Lee-He can't win on a TS even if he bets zero, so needs to bet at least $3,200 to cover Sarah's MSBIW score. But by leaving just $500 behind, he puts himself below Illisa's MSBIW score of $799. He can only win on a sole get, but he needs to cover all his bases, though he still would have gotten second on a TS.

Overall, not the best game in the world. Some strange misses, like the foot pedals on the guitar or Saskatchewan at Niagara Falls. (Slowly, I turned........)

It sounded like Alex was about to neg Borgia rather than give a BMS prompt.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Strings made of silk? Bwuh? I WAGged Nylon because it made the most sense to me, what with nylon-string guitars. Silk was never coming to me. At least whiffing with steel guitar for harp at $1000 took some of the sting out. (Harps have pedals?!?)

I managed to forget the category right away on Actors Who Write and blurted out Coen Brothers at $200. Derp. Mel at $600 saved me from a skunk.

I should've run Change, but I clammed on dime, Puerto Rico, and Sacagawea.

Corn is a grain?! I got $400 and $800 in that New Mexico category. Chalk up "churro" as another Spanish word I didn't know the meaning of.

====

0/5 in Provinces, but I clammed on the first two.

I could've actually run that food category, but I clammed the first three and blanked on Melba. Got $2000 though.

Got only the DD in Quotable Plays, but I clammed on $400 since I wasn't sure if that was a play.

Parts of Speech should've been another run, but I got clammy on the first three for no reason. Are we seeing a pattern here?

Overall, I clammed on fourteen right answers tonight, 10 of which were in DJ! Repeated negging will do that to you.

====

Hey, I've heard that quote. Democracy.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote:It sounded like Alex was about to neg Borgia rather than give a BMS prompt.
No BMS's on a DD, are there?

Sandberg, eh? OK .... (Born in 59 and was a 2B)

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Strings made of silk? Bwuh? I WAGged Nylon because it made the most sense to me, what with nylon-string guitars. Silk was never coming to me. At least whiffing with steel guitar for harp at $1000 took some of the sting out. (Harps have pedals?!?)
China = silk

Harps do have pedals (certainly moreso than guitars ....)
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

I don't think I'd be able to resist fistpumping if I got a baseball category on the show. Come on guys, nobody can ID Bobby Thomson??
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
esrever

Post by esrever »

Bamaman wrote:I would have thought Lee May would know more about baseball than he did. At least he knew Sandberg was a Cub.
Yes, that other Lee May was a Major League Baseball player for the Reds, Astros, Orioles and Royals.

Picked up Lach trash on "Ernie Banks" and "Bobby Thomson". I wished they had revealed the other two Baseball 1950s clues.

Didn't get FJ.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

econgator wrote:Harps do have pedals (certainly moreso than guitars ....)
The pedal steel guitar says hi.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Like Bamaman, I also used Schoolhouse Rock to my advantage.

I hope he got the other two Alabama references on the show -- "The Miracle Worker" and Hank Aaron.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I don't blame the contestants for their lack of baseball knowledge, but man, I wish that I could have gone up against them in that category.

"Royal Road" and "churro sheep" seemed so random. Neither of those rang a bell at all.

That "Schoolhouse Rock/adverbs" clue was cute. I had no idea on the correct response when I saw the clue, but then it was an "oh yeah, duh" moment. And I also fell for "adjectives" on the "conjunctions" clue. That one was another forehead slapper.

I am still kicking myself for not pulling "Carlota."

I made the lucky guess on FJ. I had no idea how to parse the clue, so I just went with the most obvious.

Sarah is an absolute beast in the Literature categories, and she also did very well in the food category. She is very hot and cold across categories and it seems like she has been able to win just by capitalizing on the 1-2 hot categories she gets each round. It has worked so far, but it will be very hard for her to keep that up.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

econgator wrote:
China = silk
The clue referenced a Japanese koto, a type of zither. It made no mention of China.

I got silk because I figured this is an ancient instrument and nylon is a rather recent invention. Nylon never crossed my mind.

If I'm adding up my Lach trash, can I count the two baseball clues I'd have gotten if they'd finished the category?

http://youtu.be/lrI7dVj90zs
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Like Bamaman, I also used Schoolhouse Rock to my advantage.

I hope he got the other two Alabama references on the show -- "The Miracle Worker" and Hank Aaron.
And Lee mentioned spelunking in Alabama. A good night for the yellowhammer state, much better than the football game last night.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
econgator wrote:Harps do have pedals (certainly moreso than guitars ....)
The pedal steel guitar says hi.
The word "moreso" says hi.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

econgator wrote:The word "moreso" says hi.
It also says "Romeos" when it gets confused.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

econgator wrote:
Bamaman wrote:It sounded like Alex was about to neg Borgia rather than give a BMS prompt.

Glad I wasn't the only one who started singing "Lolly, Lolly, Lolly, get your adverbs here!". Thanks for posting that.

Add me to the list of people who ran what there was of the baseball category and was sad that we missed out on two clues.

I don't know whether I would have buzzed in on "churro", since I had no idea that it's a variety of sheep, but I couldn't figure out what else the clue could possibly be referring to.

"Juana la Loca" is a lot more fun to say than "Joan the Mad".

Sarah seems not to get rattled easily--I think it really helped her today.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Abundance could be spelled abundanse without changing the pronunciation, so beans should have been accepted.
wallzy41
Seeking Degree in Jeopardy!

Post by wallzy41 »

Bamaman wrote:Abundance could be spelled abundanse without changing the pronunciation, so beans should have been accepted.
Regardless of the "controversy" surrounding that... the wording of the clue was NASTY negbait, imho.
TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy »

Linear Gnome wrote:
econgator wrote:

Glad I wasn't the only one who started singing "Lolly, Lolly, Lolly, get your adverbs here!". Thanks for posting that.
Innnnnnnn-dubitablyyyyyyyyy.
Add me to the list of people who ran what there was of the baseball category and was sad that we missed out on two clues.
I actually yelled "Get off my TV!" when Lee May guessed Sandberg. That was just cosmically wrong.
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.