Friday, January 3, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Re: Friday, January 3, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Linear Gnome »

This Is Kirk! wrote: The interesting thing to me is you will always need exactly 11 contestants for five shows, unless there's a tie for the win in which case you'll need less. There's no way more than 11 people can be on in a week's worth of shows. I guess they bring in the extras in case of an unforeseen situation where someone gets sick, misses their flight, whatever. They've been doing this for 30 years now, so I'm sure they know exactly what they're doing. :)
I had the impression that having carry-over players also has something to do with the compliance rules, to provide extra uncertainty about when players would be called. But I might be imagining this.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Bamaman wrote:If there is a triple zero game, they'll need a 12th player. So they will have to have an alternate on hand just in case that happens or if someone gets sick (had a returning champion have to drop out a few years ago). I guess if something crazy happened and they needed more players than they had on hand, they'd just postpone taping Friday's show until the following week when they could catch up.
Yeah, all the things you'd think couldn't happen in a million years probably have at some point! Good point on the ability to "catch up" at a later date, but I have a feeling they really, really try to avoid that.
Dropping the five day limit eliminated the possibility they'd need a twelfth player on a regular basis and triple zero games are very rare, so they probably don't keep more than one alternate on hand. I think someone on here said whoever doesn't get picked (usually a local) is assured of being on the next show.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Yeah, I'd guess they call in a couple extras for the first day of taping due to the uncertainty of air travel.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote: Sandberg, eh? OK .... (Born in 59 and was a 2B)
"2B"?
(I used to have this card, too. And the error is not what you think!
Spoiler
The card isn't supposed to list a position at all. Even if they had 2B there, it'd -still- be wrong.
)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Volante wrote:"2B"?
~2000 games at 2B and ~130 at 3B, so yeah, 2B ;)
Volante

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote:
Volante wrote:"2B"?
~2000 games at 2B and ~130 at 3B, so yeah, 2B ;)
Joke. Woosh. :D
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

This Is Kirk! wrote:If you said Thompson you didn't get it since it's Thomson. Had one of the contestants answered that one I bet the judges would have really been listening for that extraneous "p" in the response. On the other hand is it even possible to differentiate "Thomson" and "Thompson" when spoken?
There was a country music singer named Cyndi Thomson. I rarely hear her only hit ("What I Really Meant to Say") anymore, but I'm almost 100% certain I heard at least a few "Thompson"s in reference to her.

Almost as bad as the people who say "Kelly Clarkston" instead of "Clarkson". One particular DJ around here is guilty of that. (Strangely, he also pronounces the first syllable of "Darius Rucker" so that it rhymes with "bar", not "care".)
dhkendall wrote:Yes, they do. They also have Christmas-centric clues in December (taped in October). They expect those who are familiar with the show to know what comes up often (like California stuff) and when, based on your air date (like Christmas clues). They expect you to study for the things they are likely to ask you (and I believe they also tell you your rough air date when The Call comes).
The difference is, I can at least expect a Christmas category or five coming up in December. I can expect that, if the category hints at California in some way, the content will be California-centric. But most California-centric clues seem to come up totally at random, and a lot of the time, they derail me in an otherwise-wheelhouse category (like that fast food category back in May that had both Del Taco and Wienerschnitzel). This one wasn't a derailer since I wasn't doing too well in the category otherwise, but "surprise California-centric clue" just rubs me the wrong way a lot of the time.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

Volante wrote:
Spoiler
The card isn't supposed to list a position at all. Even if they had 2B there, it'd -still- be wrong.
Really?
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
Volante

Post by Volante »

silverscreentest wrote:
Volante wrote:
Spoiler
Really?
None of those are "1989 HIGHLIGHT" cards.
Spoiler
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Strings made of silk? Bwuh?
Don't tell me you've never seen spider webs!
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

dhkendall wrote:Was all set to complain about PEI being our "seventh province" ("No way did they enter confederation that late, and they sure aren't seventh west-to-east or east-to-west!"), but it turns out that, yup, they were the seventh to join confederation.
It doesn't help that anyone who has taken a Canadian History class might recall the name of the "Charlottetown Conference" that led to Confederation, and assume that it meant that PEI was part of Confederation.

In Confederation Square in Ottawa, the provincial/territorial flags are on flagpoles that actually are lined up in order of joining Confederation. (Of course the Google Streetview cameras caught them at a time when absolutely no wind was blowing, so the flags are barely recognizable). When I saw the flags the first time, It took me awhile to figure out the reason for the order of the flags, though not being able to recognize most of the flags probably had something to do with that.

(At a local curling club, the only other place I recall seeing all the flags displayed together, they are arranged West-To-East)
Onairb wrote:
zakharov wrote:I don't think I'd be able to resist fistpumping if I got a baseball category on the show. Come on guys, nobody can ID Bobby Thomson??
I don't remember when Thomson was last used as a response, but nobody got him then, either. Between that, and not knowing when the hell Ryne Sandberg played, it's time to ban baseball categories when they know the contestants don't know anything about the topic. It will save all of us who actually like the sport from the indigestion we get listening to non-sports folk spouting woefully incorrect responses.
We can only hope that none of the "clones" have given Jim Rome a heads-up about this!
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

opusthepenguin wrote:
alietr wrote:While El Camino Real in the clue wasn't in California, you can't go a block in California without hitting an El Camino Real. It was a Californiacentric clue.
But that's exactly why I clammed. I thought of ECR, but it goes up the California coast. That road clearly didn't. Ergo: must be something else.

Turns out what they were showing was El Camino Real de Tierra Adentro—The Royal Road of the Interior Land. That's a totally different thing and, I think, not what an unqualified "El Camino Real" refers to.
Actually, there were a number of caminos reales, several passing through Texas. For some reason Texans don't tend to make a big deal of it, though. There is a federal historical designation for the main Texas routes (most of which pass through San Antonio and into East Texas) but the only real state acknowledgment I ever saw was designating one short section of highway as State Route OSR, for Old San Antonio Road.
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Turd Ferguson wrote: It doesn't help that anyone who has taken a Canadian History class might recall the name of the "Charlottetown Conference" that led to Confederation, and assume that it meant that PEI was part of Confederation.
Yes, PEI (Charlottetown in particular) does bill itself as the "birthplace of confederation", right?
Turd Ferguson wrote:In Confederation Square in Ottawa, the provincial/territorial flags are on flagpoles that actually are lined up in order of joining Confederation. (Of course the Google Streetview cameras caught them at a time when absolutely no wind was blowing, so the flags are barely recognizable). When I saw the flags the first time, It took me awhile to figure out the reason for the order of the flags, though not being able to recognize most of the flags probably had something to do with that.

(At a local curling club, the only other place I recall seeing all the flags displayed together, they are arranged West-To-East)
According to Canadian Heritage, protocol for displaying the provincial and territorial flags is indeed in order of joining Confederation.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Miriam Wu
Contributor

Post by Miriam Wu »

econgator wrote:
Bamaman wrote:It sounded like Alex was about to neg Borgia rather than give a BMS prompt.
No BMS's on a DD, are there?
What is the rationale for that rule? If she had only said "Who is Borgia?", I think it would have been unfair to neg her.