TOC Players Who Have Died

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jeopardyfan87
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: TOC Players Who Have Died

Post by jeopardyfan87 »

cheezguyty wrote:
ahirbhairav wrote:Looks like it's the same Leonard Schmidt, Seniors Champ '92. If I got the right obit, he lived a long life till the age of 96. May he rest in peace. http://www.death-record.com/l/110780600 ... -J-Schmidt
That's not the right Leonard Schmidt. The one who was a former Jeopardy contestant passed away in 1994, less than 18 months after appearing in the Tournament of Champions.

Evidence:
Spoiler
In this post seaborgium said:
"I was able to dig up a scan of the Jewish Chronicle of Pittsburgh from 1977 that has a picture of a Dr. Leonard J. Schmidt, an optometrist, and his face clearly matches up with the picture from 1992.
Here is the text of the April 14, 1994 edition of that paper with the news of Dr. Schmidt's passing. According to his SSDI record, Leonard was 67.
I wish there was a little more proof that "this" Leonard Schmidt that you're mentioning is the '92 Seniors Champion, trying to look for additional information....I'm thinking it's a common name and there could be several who are/were based in the Erie/Pittsburgh area.

Also the fact his status was NIA in the yearbook, I would certainly think a death from that long ago would have a yearbook status of Deceased.

My heart is pounding a bit from seeing this......if it's true it would be an enormous shock from the fact that within only 6 years of the '92 ToC, three of that year's competitors had passed in that timeframe.
ahirbhairav

Post by ahirbhairav »

jeopardyfan87 wrote:
cheezguyty wrote:
ahirbhairav wrote:Looks like it's the same Leonard Schmidt, Seniors Champ '92. If I got the right obit, he lived a long life till the age of 96. May he rest in peace. http://www.death-record.com/l/110780600 ... -J-Schmidt
That's not the right Leonard Schmidt. The one who was a former Jeopardy contestant passed away in 1994, less than 18 months after appearing in the Tournament of Champions.

Evidence:
Spoiler
In this post seaborgium said:
"I was able to dig up a scan of the Jewish Chronicle of Pittsburgh from 1977 that has a picture of a Dr. Leonard J. Schmidt, an optometrist, and his face clearly matches up with the picture from 1992.
Here is the text of the April 14, 1994 edition of that paper with the news of Dr. Schmidt's passing. According to his SSDI record, Leonard was 67.
I wish there was a little more proof that "this" Leonard Schmidt that you're mentioning is the '92 Seniors Champion, trying to look for additional information....I'm thinking it's a common name and there could be several who are/were based in the Erie/Pittsburgh area.

Also the fact his status was NIA in the yearbook, I would certainly think a death from that long ago would have a yearbook status of Deceased.

My heart is pounding a bit from seeing this......if it's true it would be an enormous shock from the fact that within only 6 years of the '92 ToC, three of that year's competitors had passed in that timeframe.
Bruce Naegeli died AFTER Jay Rosenberg and he was listed as deceased. Jay Rosenberg was also NIA.

That's still sad news. May he rest in peace.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

jeopardyfan87 wrote:
Think how Jerome Vered must feel. :roll:
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
georgespelvin

Post by georgespelvin »

Rex Kramer wrote:Now I have that Jim Carroll song running through my head.
I went back to quote this, which I had read much earlier, because, yes, now I can't get the song out of my head again. Sometimes pop music knowledge is a curse.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Not to make light of anyone's death, but no Ahir, the Dave Madden who died today is not the same one as the J! champ. RIP Mr. Kincaid and Russell "The Professor" Johnson.
ahirbhairav

Post by ahirbhairav »

MarkBarrett wrote:Not to make light of anyone's death, but no Ahir, the Dave Madden who died today is not the same one as the J! champ. RIP Mr. Kincaid and Russell "The Professor" Johnson.
Sad nonetheless. RIP.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I did not know this until just now when I checked their wiki articles, but the Jeopardy Madden has the same birthday as me, though he is 14 years younger.
LJSdaughter
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by LJSdaughter »

I'm Leonard Schmidt's daughter. He died in April 1994, about 18 months after he participated in the 1992 TOC. He was 67 years old.
LJSdaughter

Post by LJSdaughter »

There have been some posts about my father, Leonard Schmidt, who won the 1992 Senior Tournament and then made it to the semi-finals of the TOC. He died in 1994 at age 67. He wasn't the 96 year old who was mentioned in a previous post. Friends and family are looking forward to seeing some of his former TOC competitors in the Battle of the Decades!
ahirbhairav

Post by ahirbhairav »

LJSdaughter wrote:I'm Leonard Schmidt's daughter. He died in April 1994, about 18 months after he participated in the 1992 TOC. He was 67 years old.
Thank you for the sad confirmation of the death of the 1992 seniors champ Leonard J. Schmidt. May he rest in peace.
LJSdaughter

Post by LJSdaughter »

Thanks!
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

seaborgium wrote:I think the ones whose deaths we learned about via jeopardy.com and don't know anything more about could have the blurb "Reported as deceased in jeopardy.com's Tournament of Champions Yearbook" added to their J! Archive player pages.
Done. If anyone wants to do some macabre research, it would be nice to have dates of death, ages at death, causes of death, and obituary links for the following: Chris Shea, Kirk Ditzler, Jim Vercolen, Bruce Cox, Peggy Kennedy.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

georgespelvin

Post by georgespelvin »

Seeing this thread reminded me to chase down a tragic rumor that I had heard a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately, it happened to be true. Paul Boymel, the top champion of Jeopardy's first season in the Alex Trebek era, died on July 30 at the age of 67. http://obits.dignitymemorial.com/dignit ... d1a57e4b93

I met Paul decades after his Jeopardy appearance through community theater, although I never had the pleasure of performing with him in a show. Paul was extremely modest about his Jeopardy success--he never talked about it to his castmates and more than a few casts were surprised when I brought it up while congratulating friends after seeing a performance. I finally buttonholed Paul about his experiences and he said that the show was so new that he was able to fly to LA (for a reason unrelated to Jeopardy), audition, pass and appear on the show in the same trip. He modestly partly accounted for his success by noting that the (revived) show was so new that he was one of the only contestants outside of LA (in other words, the competition was weaker). I wish that I had known him better, not because of his Jeopardy fame, but because he was an overall good person. I was shocked and sad to learn of his passing.
jeopfansincebirth
Keeper of the All-Time Rankings

Post by jeopfansincebirth »

Bruce Cox was the alternate for Super Jeopardy! in 1990.
Michael M.
"Keeper of the Rankings"
jeopardyfan87
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jeopardyfan87 »

Didn't see it posted here, but by just now stumbling across his profile page on the J-Archive site, 1991 Seniors Champion Lou Pryor passed away back in January of last year. Then I went to do a search for an obituary for him and I found this. According to the article, rumor has it he was invited to participate in last year's Battle of the Decades tournament, but he must've declined due to his illness. And now it makes sense that on the show's Yearbook page he wrote very little info on himself when the producers were gathering information from the former ToC Players for the BotD tournament.

Lou, you'll always stand out for me as a seniors champion who made it all the way to the finals of both the Seniors Tournament and the Tournament of Champions.

http://ncadvertiser.com/28753/louis-pry ... -resident/
finishemzoe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by finishemzoe »

Would Cindy Stowell or Larry Martin count on this thread as well? They technically would have qualified for their respective tournaments had they outlived the TOC cutoff period. I know it's an old thread, but I'm also curious as to whom we've lost among the greatest in the show's history.
sup, i'm bliss.

trans rights.

JEOPARDY! LEADERBOARD HERE: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... mYjSS0weM/

SUBSTACK: https://livinginjeopardy.substack.com/
jeopardyfan87
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jeopardyfan87 »

As I've done in the past doing Google searches on ToC players, sad to be the bearer of some sad Jeopardy! Senior Tournament champion news from back in October.

https://www.moneyandking.com/obituaries ... d=22894533
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Thanks. Obit link added to the Archive.
Austin Powers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Austin Powers »

Every time I see this thread, I think of the Jim Carroll Band, and wonder who will be the next to choose poorly between Rikers and those bikers.