Friday, January 17, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, January 17, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6755, 2014-01-17

Sarah McNitt game 4.

CONTESTANTS
Geoff Norcross, a public radio host from Portland, Oregon
Jen Aprahamian, a computer science teacher from Los Angeles, California
Sarah McNitt, a study abroad adviser originally from Ann Arbor, Michigan (whose 3-day cash winnings total $46,000)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Hi, folks. Last week on Jeopardy! five one-day champions only. This week, Sarah is a three-time champion. Can she make it four in a row, or will Jen and Geoff have something to say about that? They will, indeed.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE REALLY OLD COLLEGE TRY (5/5)
IT BORDERS TENNESSEE (5/5)
3-LETTER WORDS (5/5)
NONFICTION (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
LIQUIDS (4/5)
SPORTS SIBLINGS (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Geoff: 13 R, 2 W
Sarah: 8 R, 1 W
Jen: 5 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,600

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Geoff: $2,400
Sarah: $2,400
Jen: $800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Geoff Norcross works for NPR --National Public Radio --where?
Geoff: I actually don't work for NPR. I work for Oregon Public Broadcasting, which is the NPR affiliate for Oregon and much of southwest Washington.
Alex: I see. And what do you do?
Geoff: I am the host of "Morning Edition," which is the NPR program that feeds nationally, but I insert some local content into it as the local host.
Alex: Okay. Good for you.

Alex: Jen Aprahamian from Los Angeles. Like most of our contestants on Jeopardy!, ladies and gentlemen, Jen reads a great deal but a specific kind of reading, which is?
Jen: That's right. I read a lot of comic books.
Alex: Comic books?
Jen: Mm-hmm.
Alex: 100 comic books a day?
Jen: A month, not a day. I wish I had that time.
Alex: Uh-huh. And why do you specialize in comic books?
Jen: They're just so entertaining. I love the sequential art form.
Alex: Yeah, but don't you have a boyfriend who's involved with comic books?
Jen: That's true. My boyfriend does write comic books for DC Comics.
Alex: Didn't he create a character based on you?
Jen: It's a small supporting character in the background, but I believe there's a Jen somewhere running around the Nightwing universe.
Alex: Okay. Now we know. Now we know.

Alex: Sarah Mcnitt, we have introduced you on all of your appearances as a study-abroad adviser. Do you work with high-school students, college students, what?
Sarah: I work with students at the University of Iowa, and I specifically send students to France, Belgium, Switzerland, Canada. So, if any University of Iowa students want to study abroad, I'm the one to come to.
Alex: Okay, after a while, you get a sense of where most of them want to go. And where would that be?
Sarah: The most popular destinations are usually Spain, Italy, Australia, places like that.
Alex: Yeah. Okay.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jen found the Daily Double on the 22nd clue. Sarah had $4,200, Jen had $1,400, and Geoff was at $2,400. Jen made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,400.

NONFICTION $800: It's the rhyming title of the book about "how a gang of fame-obsessed teens ripped off Hollywood"

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
SPORTS SIBLINGS $600: Formula 1's Michael & Ralf
(Geoff: What is Andretti?)

SPORTS SIBLINGS $800: Boxers Vitali & Wladimir

NONFICTION $200: Annie Glenn, Rene Carpenter & Trudy Cooper are 3 of a title group: the "club" of these men's wives

LIQUIDS $1000: (Sarah demonstrates the clue)

This liquid -- C3H8O3 -- Is not only used in antifreeze. When water is added, it's also a skin softener.

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Geoff: $5,400
Sarah: $5,200
Jen: $3,600
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, January 17, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE MAYO CLINIC SAYS... (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
BATTLE NATIONS (4/5)
SPECIAL 2 Ks (3/5)
MARKS (5/5)
ANGELS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
GUYS, CAPITALISM WORKS! (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Geoff: 17 R (including 1 rebound and 2 DDs), 1 W
Sarah: 7 R, 0 W
Jen: 1 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $9,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Geoff snagged the next Daily Double on the 12th clue. Sarah had $6,400, Jen had $1,200, and Geoff was at $12,600. Geoff wagered $2,500.

THE MAYO CLINIC SAYS... $1600: "You can get it through kissing, but you can also be exposed through a cough or sneeze"

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Geoff who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 26th clue. Sarah had $12,000, Jen had $1,600, and Geoff was at $19,900. Geoff wagered $3,000.

ANGELS $1600: Luke I says "The angel Gabriel was sent from God unto a city of Galilee named" this, to visit Mary
(Alex: Yes, you picked the right one. You had some choices there.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
GUYS, CAPITALISM WORKS! $1600: Capitalism was called "the perfect system" in this business magazine that calls itself a "capitalist tool"
(Jen: What is The Economist?)

SPECIAL 2 Ks $1600: Meet this couple, early 20th Century airplane designer Anthony and his wife
(Geoff: What is Rickenbocker?)

SPECIAL 2 Ks $2000: One of the periods of play in polo
(Alex: It's called [*].)

ANGELS $2000: In a 2003 HBO film Emma Thompson was an angel in America as Al Pacino played this McCarthy-era lawyer
(Alex: And the lawyer was [*].)

BATTLE NATIONS $2000: Home team France might rather forget this October 1415 English victory

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Geoff: $24,500
Sarah: $13,200
Jen: $1,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AMERICAN THEATER

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Geoff: Wager $1,901 to cover Sarah, but no more than $21,299 so as not to fall behind Jen's doubled score.
Sarah: You have the hope of surpassing Geoff if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $11,301 to force Geoff to wager to win; but if you're intent on holding on to second place, wager no more than $9,999 to protect your second place position from being usurped by Jen.
Jen: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This 1949 drama that ends with a requiem asks, "Why did you do it? I search & search & I search, & I can't understand it"

FINAL SCORES
Jen: $1,600 + $1,599 = $3,199 (What is Death of a Salesman?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Sarah: $13,200 + $9,999 = $23,199 (What is Death of a Salesman?) (4-day champion: $69,199)
Geoff: $24,500 - $2,500 = $22,000 (What is Maltese Falcon?) (2nd place: $2,000)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $11,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Geoff: $22,200, 30 R (including 2 DDs), 3 W
Sarah: $13,200, 15 R, 1 W
Jen: $1,000, 6 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Combined Coryat: $36,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Geoff: 30/60 = .500
Sarah: 16/58 = .276
Jen: 7/59 = .119
Team: 53/63 = .841

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
3-LETTER WORDS $600: I don't mean to inquire impertinently, this verb-- oh, wait. I do
(Sarah: What is ask?)

THE REALLY OLD COLLEGE TRY $800: Franz Joseph inaugurated
the new main building of the University of this capital -- the oldest university in the German-speaking world.

NONFICTION $600: (I'm New York Times reporter James Risen)

In 2003 I co-authored "The Main Enemy: The Inside Story Of The CIA's Final Showdown With" this rival spy organization that no longer exists
(Geoff: What is the NSA?)
(Alex: No. [Chuckles].)
(Alex: You were putting rivals within our country instead of out there)

SPECIAL 2 Ks $800: It describes both a type of dive & a type of truck accident
(Jen: What is a double-decker?)

BATTLE NATIONS $1200: Go to this country to meet your 1815 battle site Waterloo
(Alex: That's the country.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
"The Bling Ring"
Schumacher
Klitschko
astronauts' wives
glycerin
mono (mononucleosis)
Nazareth
Forbes
the Faukkers
a chukker
Roy Cohn
the Batgtle of Agincourt (or Azincourt)
Death Of A Salesman
pry
Vienna
KGB
jackknife
Belgium
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

:D
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Those Sports Siblings seemed very obscure. I knew Gasol because he was on Wheel's NBA Week last year, but none of the others were remotely familiar.

Fop was my only miss in 3-Letter.

None of those names in Nonfiction for $200 sounded familiar to me. There were astronauts named Carpenter and Cooper?! Nothing else was remotely familiar in that category.

Clammed on Virginia in Borders Tennessee since I didn't think George Washington had anything to do with Virginia.

Latex comes from rubber trees?! I might've gotten that had I thought to put the "ex" at the end instead of the beginning.

They seemed to call the TS on glycerin very quickly.

====

I totally misinterpreted Capitalism. I thought it was asking for another country's president who "didn't get to" do whatever because he died, or something. That whole category went in one ear and out the other for me.

Mark for $1200 may be one of the most obvious clues I've ever missed. I just couldn't think of any movies in which paternity was a factor, and I somehow was thinking that the Mark they wanted was BECOMING a father.

Proud of myself for knowing Devo. Weird Al's "Dare to Be Stupid" led me to look up Devo's "Whip It" to see just what Devo actually sounded like, since I had heard that DTBS is a spot-on emulation of their style. And then a few days after that, I heard "Whip It" in a Goodwill.

What was supposed to lead to mono on Mayo DD?

====

Yesterday, I took a guess because I actually had something to steer me to the right answer. Today, I thought of "Death of a Salesman" right away, but still left it blank because I had literally nothing to go on.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Congrats on another win, Sarah!

Instaget FJ, seeing as to how I've done the play.

Also, considering Michael Schumacher's current condition, I hope his "appearance" on J! tonight doesn't jinx him.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Clammed on Virginia in Borders Tennessee since I didn't think George Washington had anything to do with Virginia.
WJMorris3
Contributor

Post by WJMorris3 »

Got FJ mainly because it was the only 40s drama I could think of.
CrunchyTaco
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by CrunchyTaco »

For the second day in a row, Jeopardy has been preempted in Detroit. Today, it has been preempted for coverage of the autoshow :evil:
Golf

Post by Golf »

After Thursday's baseball debacle, I thought Sarah acquitted herself very well in the sports siblings category, especially the Richard brothers.

Naturally Geoff should have rang in on the final clue and guessed anything.

So, two questions for Sarah regarding her FJ wager.

1, why didn't you wager $4000?
2, how did you arrive at the $9999 wager?
esrever

Post by esrever »

Congrats Sarah on your fourth consecutive win!

Picked up Lach trash on "glycerin" and "Forbes"

For FJ, I precalled "Death of a Salesman" and it was an instaget.
Golf

Post by Golf »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Those Sports Siblings seemed very obscure. I knew Gasol because he was on Wheel's NBA Week last year, but none of the others were remotely familiar.
OK, you have admitted you know next to nothing about sports. How would you know if the clues were obscure or not? Hint, they weren't.
What was supposed to lead to mono on Mayo DD?
Mono is known as the kissing disease, and I'll just leave it at that. 8-) Definitely not obscure.
Last edited by Golf on Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Golf wrote:Naturally Geoff should have rang in on the final clue and guessed anything.
*nod* I'm surprised he didn't at least try for the lock.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Yesterday, I took a guess because I actually had something to steer me to the right answer. Today, I thought of "Death of a Salesman" right away, but still left it blank because I had literally nothing to go on.
I don't think you know what "literally" means.

If you thought of "Death" immediately, then you obviously had something.
everestian
Contributor

Post by everestian »

Admittedly, this was a fun game. Lots of good categories, and I felt great knowing the Battle of Agincourt from the Hundred Years War. I'm surprised nobody got that today.

I also got another Triple Stumper, which was Forbes Magazine. But that was a gut guess.

The sports category destroyed me and I got none of them right. I know what I have to work on in the near future. ;)

Aside from that, I swept colleges, immediately getting Harvard, Padua, and Cambridge.

The Tennessee borders section was also good, as I remembered Kentucky since I'm well-versed in the subject of state quarters. I got Alabama because I remembered a discussion I had with a friend about George Wallace.

The best clue had to be the Devo one though. After seeing "Mothersbaugh," I was excited as all get out. Mainly because Devo is one of my favorite bands of all time.

And of course, to echo everyone else, the FJ was easy. I distinctly remembered that Death of a Salesman was released in 1949, so I felt that was an immediate clincher. Congrats to Sarah! Hope she continues doing well!
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
evanakm
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by evanakm »

And after feeling pretty good about getting Martin Luther two nights ago, my mind goes blank on a FJ that wasn't that hard.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Golf wrote: 2, how did you arrive at the $9999 wager?

It kept the third place player from winning as the scores going into FJ! were 13200 1600 24500. 13200-9999, 3201. And she'd win if the leader missed and made the "expected" wager of $1901, which he did not. A $4000 wager today would have meant a loss, she was glad she went with a higher wager. Probably also glad the leader didn't wager two grand higher on the second DJ DD! or got the last clue which was a triple stumper($2000 Battle Nations), would have been a lock for him.
Golf

Post by Golf »

legendneverdies wrote:
Golf wrote: 2, how did you arrive at the $9999 wager?

It kept the third place player from winning as the scores going into FJ! were 13200 1600 24500. 13200-9999, 3201. And she'd win if the leader missed and made the "expected" wager of $1901, which he did not. A $4000 wager today would have meant a loss, she was glad she went with a higher wager. Probably also glad the leader didn't wager two grand higher on the second DJ DD! or got the last clue which was a triple stumper($2000 Battle Nations), would have been a lock for him.
Are you serious? Is your name Sarah? It wasn't a rhetorical question, I can figure out wagering scenarios just fine thank you. I asked for Sarah's thoughts.

Oh, you also must've missed my above post where I commented on Geoff's stand and stare on the final clue.
Last edited by Golf on Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I *kind of* agree with TPH. The "Sports Siblings" was harder than most of the sports categories that come up on the show. I went 1/5, with my only get being the Gasols at $200. I wouldn't do well at sports trivia night at a bar, but I usually do a lot better than that on the sports clues that the shows uses. Even though it was harder than usual it was still a good category.

I liked the board once again, but unlike the past few nights this one was not kind to me. I was happy to close out the game with the Lach trash on "Agincourt." I also thought that "Milton Friedman" and "Bell's palsy" were way overvalued at $2000.

I blanked on FJ, but I might have gotten it with more time.

Big congrats to Sarah on the fourth win!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

econgator wrote:If you thought of "Death" immediately, then you obviously had something.
Something pulled completely out of my butt, with absolutely no way to know that I might be right, given that "Wally Loman" and "Arthur Miller" are literally the only two things I know about Death of a Salesman.
knordrw
Contributor

Post by knordrw »

Wow congrats again Sarah! I thought for sure you were done for when Geoff went on that run. Why did you keep going back to Double K when he was answering them right, and he would go to Mayo and you'd answer them right?

Also, what was with Jen's shoes? I saw a tweet to watch the credits for her shoes, but I didn't see anything special....not that they got all that close to see anything really clear.

I can't stop getting Harvard and Cambridge mixed up in my mind. Every time there's a question about either one I always say the other. Except tonight when the Cambridge question followed the Harvard one I'd already messed up. :-)

Good retro luck on going for 5 days on Monday!