Friday, January 17, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: Friday, January 17, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by TenPoundHammer »

knordrw wrote:I can't stop getting Harvard and Cambridge mixed up in my mind. Every time there's a question about either one I always say the other. Except tonight when the Cambridge question followed the Harvard one I'd already messed up. :-)
The "pahk the cah" TOM didn't help?
everestian
Contributor

Post by everestian »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
econgator wrote:If you thought of "Death" immediately, then you obviously had something.
Something pulled completely out of my butt, with absolutely no way to know that I might be right, given that "Wally Loman" and "Arthur Miller" are literally the only two things I know about Death of a Salesman.
I believe you meant Willy, dude.
I always will remember Ben, Willy's brother, because that's my name (so egocentric, right?).
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

TenPoundHammer wrote:There were astronauts named Carpenter and Cooper?!
Too long ago for you?
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
Steppenwolf
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Steppenwolf »

I agree with TPH on the Mayo Clinic 'kissing' clue. I was confident that 'mono' was the answer they were looking for, but saw nothing in the clue or category that would have excluded dozens of other possible answers from having to be accepted.

I cannot agree with TPH on his surprise that George Washington had anything to do with Virginia....
Last edited by Steppenwolf on Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
knordrw
Contributor

Post by knordrw »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
knordrw wrote:I can't stop getting Harvard and Cambridge mixed up in my mind. Every time there's a question about either one I always say the other. Except tonight when the Cambridge question followed the Harvard one I'd already messed up. :-)
No, because it's a mental block that I have. I think "Old University in MA", immediately I think, "Oh, the one in Cambridge".....and that's what comes out. Similarly my mouth tends to blurt out "Harvard" when my mind is screaming "Cambridge".

It's not logical in the slightest. I guess it's not my mind that gets messed up as much as my mouth. :-)
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

FJ was an instaget, even though I've not seen the play. I know it was written in the late 1940s (almost certain it was in 1949), and "requiem" = "death." In fact, it's probably the only non-musical play from the late 1940s that I could name.

I said "Mercury 7" rather than "Astronauts" for the wives club (all three were wives of the Original 7 group). Not sure if that's the correct response or not.
thenextofken
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by thenextofken »

Congrats to Sarah on another win, and making an excellent wager in FJ.

Anyone else pre-call the Mannings in sports siblings?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

knordrw wrote:No, because it's a mental block that I have. I think "Old University in MA", immediately I think, "Oh, the one in Cambridge".....and that's what comes out. Similarly my mouth tends to blurt out "Harvard" when my mind is screaming "Cambridge".

It's not logical in the slightest. I guess it's not my mind that gets messed up as much as my mouth. :-)
Multiply that by about 40, and you have my usual mindset during an average game.
EndlessEntropy
Valued Contributor

Post by EndlessEntropy »

Instaget FJ after "requiem." (and the year).

DAmn I liked this guy and was rooting for him. Oh well you got the FJ, grats on a 4th win!
What’s Montague? It is nor hand, nor foot,
Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part
Belonging to a man. O, be some other name!
What’s in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other word would smell as sweet.

-Shakespeare
Leander

Post by Leander »

I played this off the NY Times version this morning which oddly left out the year-the first time I've seen the clues differ. I blanked on the answer, but the year would have helped.

I would have requested a BMS on the "mono" answer.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

knordrw wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
No, because it's a mental block that I have. I think "Old University in MA", immediately I think, "Oh, the one in Cambridge".....and that's what comes out. Similarly my mouth tends to blurt out "Harvard" when my mind is screaming "Cambridge".

I have a similar mental block that might have cost me in this game if I had been playing it for real.

You know the metal that's liquid at room temperature, that's often used in thermometers, and whose symbol is Hg? Of course you do. I do too.

But I have a weird mental block where I want to blurt out "Hydrogen". I know the difference between the two substances, I know hydrogen is a light gas that's element #1 on the periodic table. I know that hydrogen and mercury aren't the same thing and I completely understand the enormous differences between the two substances. But that darned "Hg" (which I guess historically comes from something like "hydrargyrum" [watery silver?]) gets in the way, and sometimes makes my mouth say the word "hydrogen" even though I know that's not right.

As for tonight's FJ, I got it, but only in the flimsiest and most uncertain way. The word "requiem" made me think of death, and I was like, I can name one famous American play that probably came out around 1949 that has "death" in the title. I felt like I was grasping at straws, but it was something. I almost felt like I was just writing it down as a placeholder, just in case it happened to be correct by accident. I know the name of the protagonist in that play, but I know literally nothing about the plot, and don't know any memorable lines in the play.

It wouldn't be the first time that extremely surface-level knowledge helped me come up with the correct FJ response.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

Thought of both Death of a Salesman and Our Town (1938) and chose the wrong one.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

skullturf wrote:and don't know any memorable lines in the play.
You know, I'm not really sure it has any "famous" lines. There's quite a few good ones, but the most famous of them is probably, "He's liked, but he's not well-liked."
davey

Post by davey »

I'm sympathetic to odd mistakes, since I make so many of them myself, but, since no one else has mentioned it...a public radio news host thinks the NSA "no longer exists"? He must not be listening to his own program...
Glad I didn't space out on tonight's easy FJ like I did last night...
davey

Post by davey »

econgator wrote:
You know, I'm not really sure it has any "famous" lines. There's quite a few good ones, but the most famous of them is probably, "He's liked, but he's not well-liked."
And "No one dast blame this man"...and "A salesman is got to dream, boy, it comes with the territory"...and "He’s a man way out there in the blue riding on a smile and a shoeshine"...And that's just one speech. There's Linda's "Attention must be paid." And I'm quite fond of Willy's "You can't eat the orange and throw the peel away - a man is not a piece of fruit!"
evanakm
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by evanakm »

econgator wrote:
The jungle is dark, but full of diamonds.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

4/5 for me in Sports Siblings. Ralf & Michael was not going to happen.

Geoff did not get chukker for $2000. That's the lock right there. On a sports clue. Before that he negged on Fokker. Yes, Sarah caught a break and did well to keep the game in range. I also think the TOC field caught a break. Geoff seemed like someone who could have strung some victories. Of course someone with crisp clue calling goes after one game.

Hello, casting directors for King of the Nerds on TBS: If there is a season 3 give Jen a call. She would be perfect. (This is a compliment and not an insult.)

During the break I played name the borders of TN, so that helped when the rest of the category played other than doing Ozark - AR instead of MO.

The FJ! category had me precall:
Wicked
Death of a Salesman
Waiting for Godot

I realized my first instinct was likely out with nothing musical in the category title. When I saw the clue I had no idea as the quote meant nothing. Unlike earlier in the week I remembered to glance at my precalls. Aha! I get it. I then remembered the year from this FJ! clue:

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4140

I checked the website and the year is missing there as well: http://www.jeopardy.com/gamesandmobile/clueoftheday/

On YouTube there is a bunch of '80s Battle of the Decade stuff and the hometown howdies (not that I dared watch or listen) for the 1/20 week: http://www.youtube.com/user/JEOPARDY/videos
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

thenextofken wrote:Congrats to Sarah on another win, and making an excellent wager in FJ.

Anyone else pre-call the Mannings in sports siblings?
I actually thought of the Hanson Brothers first, but they were ficticious hockey players (fortunately!)
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

davey wrote:I'm sympathetic to odd mistakes, since I make so many of them myself, but, since no one else has mentioned it...a public radio news host thinks the NSA "no longer exists"? He must not be listening to his own program...
Glad I didn't space out on tonight's easy FJ like I did last night...
Sarah's also lucky that Geoff contradicted Alex in the interview.

I had the right playwright but the wrong play on FJ! :shock:
OCSam
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I would have been sorely tempted from Geoff's position to assume Sarah wouldn't bet it all on FJ, and wager accordingly. I didn't think she'd bet more than $10k. I'd probably have given in to the cover wager, but then gotten FJ right.

Go Sarah!