Friday, January 17, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, January 17, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by MarkBarrett »

I'm a little slow as it just now hit me while eating cereal that my third precall of Waiting for Godot was out as well since it would not appear in a category American Theater?
sarah0114
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by sarah0114 »

CrunchyTaco wrote:For the second day in a row, Jeopardy has been preempted in Detroit. Today, it has been preempted for coverage of the autoshow :evil:
WDIV has gotten a lot of angry emails! Today's episode will be replayed at 8pm tomorrow if you want to watch it.
sarah0114
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by sarah0114 »

Golf wrote:After Thursday's baseball debacle, I thought Sarah acquitted herself very well in the sports siblings category, especially the Richard brothers.

Naturally Geoff should have rang in on the final clue and guessed anything.

So, two questions for Sarah regarding her FJ wager.

1, why didn't you wager $4000?
2, how did you arrive at the $9999 wager?
Throughout this game and the morning and afternoon practices, Geoff was a really impressive player, so I was shooting for second. It was a lot easier to wager from second place than first because I had nothing to lose.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Golf wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Those Sports Siblings seemed very obscure. I knew Gasol because he was on Wheel's NBA Week last year, but none of the others were remotely familiar.
OK, you have admitted you know next to nothing about sports. How would you know if the clues were obscure or not? Hint, they weren't.
To echo someone else, I did not do well in that category at all either (only got the last one) and found the rest quite obscure. And I'll freely admit to this being that I don't follow sports that much. This doesn't mean they're not obscure though, just not obscure to those who don't follow sports.

For example, Elvis Presley is not an obscure name. You could never listen to rock and roll and know who he is. (I'm sure TPH, a non rock and roll listener knows who he is.) Same with the Beatles. Not obscure names because everybody from all walks of life would have heard of them. Not so with many of those sports names.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Glad the NPR guy lost. Not knowing KGB/NSA was awful. A nice two-player game today. I immediately thought of Salesman but then wondered about The Glass Menagerie which I think is from the late 40's. I did decide to stay with Salesman since I almost always stay with my first instinct.
sarah0114
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by sarah0114 »

knordrw wrote:Wow congrats again Sarah! I thought for sure you were done for when Geoff went on that run. Why did you keep going back to Double K when he was answering them right, and he would go to Mayo and you'd answer them right?

Also, what was with Jen's shoes? I saw a tweet to watch the credits for her shoes, but I didn't see anything special....not that they got all that close to see anything really clear.
I didn't talk to Geoff about it at all, but I think what was happening was that he thought he'd be stronger in Mayo than Double K and I thought I'd be stronger in Double K than Mayo, but that's not how the clues fell.

Jen had on these crazy-tall high-heeled shoes with metal spikes on the toes. She had been concerned about being tall enough at the podium (you don't find out about the lifts until you get there!) and had been wearing the shoes all day while she waited for her turn. I could not have handled those heels! I would have probably tripped, broken an ankle and then impaled myself on the spikes.
sarah0114
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by sarah0114 »

EndlessEntropy wrote:DAmn I liked this guy and was rooting for him.
Me too! I had been looking forward to playing against him all day and once we got going and he was just as good as in the practice games, I expected him to win.
sarah0114
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by sarah0114 »

skullturf wrote:As for tonight's FJ, I got it, but only in the flimsiest and most uncertain way. The word "requiem" made me think of death, and I was like, I can name one famous American play that probably came out around 1949 that has "death" in the title. I felt like I was grasping at straws, but it was something. I almost felt like I was just writing it down as a placeholder, just in case it happened to be correct by accident.
I was in pretty much the same boat. It seemed too easy but it was all I could come up with.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

sarah0114 wrote: I didn't talk to Geoff about it at all, but I think what was happening was that he thought he'd be stronger in Mayo than Double K and I thought I'd be stronger in Double K than Mayo, but that's not how the clues fell.
I've found myself wondering recently whether two players have ever run two categories in parallel. Which is to say, for example, Geoff gets Double K for $400 and goes to Mayo for $400, you get that and go to Double K for $800, he gets that and goes to Mayo for $800, and so on. (Of course, there would have to be no Daily Double in either category.) Actually, keeping the criteria much simpler, has anyone ever run a category where they switched categories partway through and someone else came back to it?
knordrw
Contributor

Post by knordrw »

skullturf wrote: As for tonight's FJ, I got it, but only in the flimsiest and most uncertain way. The word "requiem" made me think of death, and I was like, I can name one famous American play that probably came out around 1949 that has "death" in the title. I felt like I was grasping at straws, but it was something. I almost felt like I was just writing it down as a placeholder, just in case it happened to be correct by accident. I know the name of the protagonist in that play, but I know literally nothing about the plot, and don't know any memorable lines in the play.

It wouldn't be the first time that extremely surface-level knowledge helped me come up with the correct FJ response.
I pulled Monday's TS FJ completely out of my nether regions for absolutely no reason. My only criteria for choosing what I chose was that it was in Asia and had been communist at one point in my knowledge. I was totally floored when Alex revealed the answer and I was right. I tend to do that a lot on the TS FJs.
knordrw
Contributor

Post by knordrw »

sarah0114 wrote: Jen had on these crazy-tall high-heeled shoes with metal spikes on the toes. She had been concerned about being tall enough at the podium (you don't find out about the lifts until you get there!) and had been wearing the shoes all day while she waited for her turn. I could not have handled those heels! I would have probably tripped, broken an ankle and then impaled myself on the spikes.
High heels AND metal spikes? That definitely sounds like a recipe for disaster

I can understand not knowing about the lifts. I actually had never even noticed that everyone is the same height until reading about the lifts on this board, so it's not something I ever would have even thought of were I to be on the show. I wonder if they take height differences into account partly when deciding on what contestants to pair for the games.
Golf

Post by Golf »

sarah0114 wrote:
Golf wrote:After Thursday's baseball debacle, I thought Sarah acquitted herself very well in the sports siblings category, especially the Richard brothers.

Naturally Geoff should have rang in on the final clue and guessed anything.

So, two questions for Sarah regarding her FJ wager.

1, why didn't you wager $4000?
2, how did you arrive at the $9999 wager?
Throughout this game and the morning and afternoon practices, Geoff was a really impressive player, so I was shooting for second. It was a lot easier to wager from second place than first because I had nothing to lose.
Interesting. If 3rd place had $5000 going into FJ (rather than $1600) vs. your $13200, does that mean you would have wagered $3199 to insure 2nd place?

Looking forward to seeing what happens (retroactively) next week.

knordrw wrote:High heels AND metal spikes? That definitely sounds like a recipe for disaster
Well, if I saw shoes like that on a Jeopardy contestant I'd go "Oh no". If I saw shoes like that on a blind date I'd go "Oh yes". It's all about perspective! :twisted:
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I was going to be really ticked if they hadn't finished Tennessee's neighbors and even more ticked if they hadn't used my home state.

I got all but the race car drivers, but I agree the sports siblings were a little tougher than your normal sports category.

I couldn't get a good look at her shoes with the credits roll and the fact she was wearing pants. A
skirt would have made then easier to see.

Death came to me pretty quickly after a briefly waitin for Godot. I remembered from somewhere the play was from the 1940s and being surprised when I learned that because I'd have pegged it as a 1950s piece. Turns out I learned the year from the game Mark linked.

I read the play in college but have never seen it. I vaguely remember the plot.

Normally I do think you should take a stab at the last clue if it can get you a lock. But that is a really tough clue to try and guess a random French place. If a clue has a limited set of answers, all or most of which you know (like presidents or U.S. states), then you should definitely go for it.

I did like Sarah's wager and understand the logic behind it. However, a bigger wager would have been fine as well. She's already won three games, an extra $1,000 isn't as big a deal as it would have been on her first day. So by betting all but a dollar, she'd be risking $1,000 for a chance to win an extra $5,200.
sarah0114
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by sarah0114 »

knordrw wrote:I wonder if they take height differences into account partly when deciding on what contestants to pair for the games.
Matching of contestants is random and I believe that's one of the things handled by Standards & Practices folks rather than the Jeopardy! staff. And if they had been taking height differences into account, I doubt Jen and I would have been matched up with Geoff! Without those giant heels, she and I are about the same height.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

sarah0114 wrote:
knordrw wrote:Wow congrats again Sarah! I thought for sure you were done for when Geoff went on that run. Why did you keep going back to Double K when he was answering them right, and he would go to Mayo and you'd answer them right?

Also, what was with Jen's shoes? I saw a tweet to watch the credits for her shoes, but I didn't see anything special....not that they got all that close to see anything really clear.
I didn't talk to Geoff about it at all, but I think what was happening was that he thought he'd be stronger in Mayo than Double K and I thought I'd be stronger in Double K than Mayo, but that's not how the clues fell.

Jen had on these crazy-tall high-heeled shoes with metal spikes on the toes. She had been concerned about being tall enough at the podium (you don't find out about the lifts until you get there!) and had been wearing the shoes all day while she waited for her turn. I could not have handled those heels! I would have probably tripped, broken an ankle and then impaled myself on the spikes.
I paused my recording and tried to find a match for the shoes using Google images. This was the closest I could find: http://www.polyvore.com/jeffrey_campbel ... d=68522210
El Jefe

Post by El Jefe »

MarkBarrett wrote:
I paused my recording and tried to find a match for the shoes using Google images. This was the closest I could find: http://www.polyvore.com/jeffrey_campbel ... d=68522210
Was it the CLOSEST or CLOSETS you could find?

Jeffrey
El Jefe

Post by El Jefe »

econgator wrote:Congrats on another win, Sarah!
Instaget FJ, seeing as to how I've done the play.
Ditto Sarah, tough sports ones (i.e. beyond my knowledge base).

I was pondering how 'off' an answer The Maltese Falcon was. The earliest stage production I can find is in California 2007. Has anyone else heard of it being performed or did Geoff throw in the closest work he recalled timewise?

Jeffrey
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

Bamaman wrote:Normally I do think you should take a stab at the last clue if it can get you a lock. But that is a really tough clue to try and guess a random French place. If a clue has a limited set of answers, all or most of which you know (like presidents or U.S. states), then you should definitely go for it.
I like to think of my accountant, who's 100 years old. He's a CPA - Crécy, Poitiers, Agincourt - the only three battles you really need to know from that war, in that order.

Regarding a clue from Thursday's game:
Spoiler
Agincourt was the setting for the St. Crispin Day's speech in Henry V. How's that for a tie-in?
Last edited by Vermonter on Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Spoiler about a recent FJ:
Spoiler
Careful, Vermonter!
I was proud to have gotten Klitschko. That spelling of Wladimir is weird enough (and Polish-looking enough, though the spelling of his last name suggests it's all a German transliteration) to have stuck in my mind on just a few sightings, and brought the surname with it.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

The name looks Ukrainian to me...