Monday, January 27, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, January 27, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by davey »

debramc wrote:I had Exchequer at "tablecloth". I actually heard the story several years ago and it stuck. The rest of the clue just piled on confirmation. It's pretty rare (a couple times a year, maybe) that I get one before the end of the clue. :mrgreen:
I got tatties but I'm not sure where from. I did grow up with a Scots-Canadian grandma but I don't remember using or knowing it as a child. Hmm. Maybe just from random bits of British TV.
I thought "tatties" was obvious from the context. There was something about digging them up, which eliminated the one or two other thoughts that flitted through my mind. I don't know that I've ever heard it before.
ComingUpMilhouse
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by ComingUpMilhouse »

They did, in fact, show a clip of Bill on The Soup.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

ComingUpMilhouse wrote:They did, in fact, show a clip of Bill on The Soup.
Where it was pointed out, what not everyone in this thread grasps...

It's not What is Mankini? it's Who is Mankini?!!... :lol:
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

LOL the Office of the Exchequer is the official title of the Second lord treasurer! NB: The PM was formerly known as the First Lord of the Treasury.... going back to Sir Robert Walpole. His deputy, the 'second lord' became 'Exchequer'. literally the guy who signs the checks. THe tablecloth clue seems off but is oddly logical; it was a perfect account balance sheet.
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
Joy
Contributor

Post by Joy »

esrever wrote:Julie's very impressive!

I got FJ after thinking about it for about 5 seconds.
Julie was tremendous in her first game but quite a disappointment in her second. I thought she had the potential to win several games. FJ was instaget for me.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Joy wrote:

Julie was tremendous in her first game but quite a disappointment in her second. I thought she had the potential to win several games. FJ was instaget for me.
She definitely did have the potential to win several games. That she lost in her second is a testament to the volatility of Jeopardy success, and doesn't make her a disappointment. She had the highest Coryat score, and would have had another lock if Arthur had gotten his DD wrong. A disappointment? I think not.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote:
Joy wrote:

She definitely did have the potential to win several games. That she lost in her second is a testament to the volatility of Jeopardy success, and doesn't make her a disappointment. She had the highest Coryat score, and would have had another lock if Arthur had gotten his DD wrong. A disappointment? I think not.
This would be even more fun if you could persuade Dad to show up and offer a rebuttal.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Bumping because I've looked over those "Inner Scot" clues and looking them over, I still don't see a single way to figure any of them out.