Tuesday, February 11, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6772, 2014-02-11

2014 College Championship quarterfinal game 2.

CONTESTANTS
Cameron Kim, a senior at Duke University from Riverview, Florida
Ben Juster, a senior at UCLA from Woodland Hills, California
Laurie Beckoff, a sophomore from the University of Chicago from Hollis Hills, New York

OPENING REMARKS
Thank you, Johnny, and welcome, ladies and gentlemen. As you know, we've been doing the college championships on "Jeopardy!" for a few decades now, so you should be familiar with the routine. The winners of the five games this week come back automatically as semi-finalists next week, along with the four highest-scoring players among non-winners.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
HARD TO DEFINE (3/5)
RECENT TV (5/5)
SOLVE FOR x (4/5)
JUST A WORD BEFORE GOING (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
MINI (4/5)
HA HA (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Ben: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Cameron: 10 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Laurie: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,400

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Cameron found the Daily Double on the 3rd clue. Laurie had no money, Ben had $200, and Cameron was at $200. Cameron wagered $1,000.

JUST A WORD BEFORE GOING $600: A final manifesto attributed to him in 1883 was "Last words are for fools who haven't said enough"

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Cameron: $3,000
Ben: $2,600
Laurie: $2,200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Cameron Kim is a senior from Duke University and Duke known primarily for its basketball program, but you have participated in a number of sports, but all of them involving brooms.

Cameron: Yes.

Alex: Which sports?

Cameron: So, I'm currently the head coach of the Duke quidditch team, which requires a broom.

Alex: Uh-huh.

Cameron: And I also have participated in curling for the past two years.

Alex: Ah. But never broomball?

Cameron: Never broomball.

Alex: Oh, that's fun in a gymnasium.

Cameron: It's probably next.

Alex: Yeah, that's --
Cameron: Got to keep
the tradition up.

Alex: Yeah, particularly if you want to board somebody and knock them into a concrete wall. That's --

Cameron: Could be fun.

Alex: Get your aggressions out, yes.

Alex: Ben Juster is from Woodland Hills, California. He's a senior at UCLA, and he is something of a baby expert, I hear.

Ben: Yeah, that's right.I work at Babies "R" Us. So, you know, I know a lot about baby items, baby food, baby everything. I don't know how to change diapers, though, so...

Alex: Okay. What's the "in" thing with babies now that young mothers should know about?

Ben: Uh...

Alex: Is it food? Is it vitamins? Is it a game?

Ben: I would say the organic food is pretty in right now. Also, I'd recommend these little plastic guards to keep the drips off your baby's hand, from a popsicle.

Alex: Oh. Okay.

Alex: Laurie Beckoff is a sophomore. She is majoring in English. And you're going to be writing about fantasy literature in Great Britain, right?

Laurie: Yes. The --

Alex: In particular?

Laurie: I'm looking at Arthurian legend. I'm really interested in the foundations of fantasy. I'm interested in a lot of modern fantasy, like "Harry Potter" and "Lord of the Rings," but that made me really interested in the foundations of the genre. So, I got to take a class on King Arthurian legend, and that's amazing.

Alex: Any favorite character from that period?

Laurie: [ sighs ] Um, I really like Gawain.

Alex: Yeah?

Laurie: He's a complicated character.

Alex: Okay.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
MINI $600: 4-letter word for a speck of dust, perhaps in your eye

HA HA $800: An audience convulsed in laughter is "rolling in" these

SOLVE FOR x $800: (X - 5)2 = 81
X can be 14 or this number
(Cameron: [long pause] What is 13?)

HARD TO DEFINE $200: In March 2014 NYC's 92nd Street Y will use a 7-day program to define this (our try: a creatively brilliant person)

HARD TO DEFINE $1000: Clara Bow starred in a 1927 film whose title was this pronoun--hard to define, but basically sex appeal
(Alex: The movie was called [*] - the It girl.)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Ben: $5,600
Laurie: $4,000
Cameron: $3,400
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, February 11, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
KING ME (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
RHYME TIME (4/5)
U.S. GEOGRAPHY (4/5)
"S"PORTS TALK (3/5)
19th CENTURY BOOKS & AUTHORS (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
OCCUPATIONS (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Ben: 9 R (including 2 rebounds), 0 W
Laurie: 7 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W
Cameron: 7 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $10,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Cameron snagged the next Daily Double on the 16th clue. Laurie had $4,800, Ben had $10,400, and Cameron was at $6,200. Cameron wagered $800.

19th CENTURY BOOKS & AUTHORS $2000: Between 1872 & 1882 she wrote 6 volumes of "Aunt Jo's Scrap-Bag"
(Cameron: Who is Austen?)
(Alex: No, who is [*]? You had to think of Little Women, Jo being one of the girls in that novel.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Laurie who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 18th clue. Laurie had $5,200, Ben had $10,400, and Cameron was at $5,400. Laurie wagered $1,000.

KING ME $800: In 1922 King Victor Emmanuel III refused to proclaim martial law to stop this man's march on Rome

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
"S"PORTS TALK $1600: To take a tennis match 6-1, 6-2 is to "win in" these

"S"PORTS TALK $2000: Broadcaster Eddie Doucette coined this term for Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's trademark arcing shot

U.S. GEOGRAPHY $2000: The Swenson family operates this state's largest granite quarry on Rattlesnake Hill

19th CENTURY BOOKS & AUTHORS $1600: Before "Downton Abbey", there was this, the shortest of Jane Austen's 6 major novels

OCCUPATIONS $1600: A deaccelerator is a piece of equipment for this film & TV "man" or "woman"
(Laurie: What is camera?)

RHYME TIME $2000: Fun, little-known facts about a landlocked country in South America

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Ben: $16,400 (lock-tie game)
Laurie: $8,200
Cameron: $5,400

PREFINAL REMARKS
One of our former college champions, Monica Thieu, is in our audience today as a spectator. She told me during the commercial break that she used her $100,000 in winnings to pay off her school expenses --tuition, things like that. Since we're on the subject of money, players who are eliminated in these quarter-final games this week go home with $5,000. Those who are eliminated as semi-finalists go home with $10,000. And there are minimum guarantees
of $25,000 for a third-place finisher, $50,000 for the second-place finisher, and, of course, the champion will receive $100,000.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
SOCIAL MEDIA

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock-tie for first place; crush for second place.
Ben: Wager $0 to guarantee your return for the next game, or, if you'd rather lose today than face Laurie tomorrow, wager $16,400 to maximize your winnings (or $5,599 to keep from dropping into third place).
Laurie: You don't have any guarantee at second place, but who cares when you've got a shot at tying for first? Wager $8,200.
Cameron: You have the hope of surpassing Laurie for second place if you come up with the correct response or if your opponent fails to. Bet between $2,801 and $5,399.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The most retweeted tweet of all time happened on November 6, 2012 & started with "four" & ended with these 2 words

FINAL SCORES
Cameron: $5,400 + $5,400 = $10,800 (What is more years?) (3rd place)
Laurie: $8,200 + $5,200 = $13,400 (What is more years?) (2nd place)
Ben: $16,400 + $0 = $16,400 (What is more years?) (Automatic semifinalist)
(Alex: It was a reference to a political event and I'm sure all three of you came up with the correct response.)
(Alex: Four [*] referring to the reelection of President Obama.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $14,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Ben: $16,400, 18 R, 0 W
Laurie: $8,000, 13 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Cameron: $5,800, 17 R (including 1 DD), 7 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $30,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Ben: 19/58 = .328
Cameron: 18/60 = .300
Laurie: 14/59 = .237
Team: 51/63 = .810

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
JUST A WORD BEFORE GOING $200: In 1886 this poet said, "I must go in, for the fog is rising"--then death stopped for her
(Cameron: Who is Browning?)

HA HA $1000: Type of laugh that's the name of the ringtone heard here

SOLVE FOR x $1000: 5/8 - X/4 = 3/8
(Cameron: What is [pause] X=8?)

"S"PORTS TALK $800: Two word term for the device being used by the competitors seen here
(Ben: What is a stopping block, er sor-, what is [*]?)

19th CENTURY BOOKS & AUTHORS $800: In 1893 this British man published his "initial" book, a "text-book of biology"; many sci-fi novels followed
(Cameron: Who is Jules Verne?)

19th CENTURY BOOKS & AUTHORS $1200: In 1863 he put out a book originally titled "Voyage au Centre de la Terre"
(Alex: Yeah, you were just one clue early.)

OCCUPATIONS $2000: A business degree might help you become an analyst for M&A, mergers & these
(Cameron: What are accounts?)

RHYME TIME $1200: It's the chilly ride pictured here
(Cameron: What's an icy-- [long pause, runs out of time]?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
(Karl) Marx
mote
the aisles
genius
It
Louisa May Alcott
Mussolini
straight sets
the skyhook
New Hampshire
Northanger Abbey
a stuntman or a stuntwoman
Bolivia trivia
more years
(Emily) Dickinson
a cackle
X=1
a starting block
H.G. Wells
Jules Verne
acquisition
an icicle bicycle
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Social Media
The most retweeted Tweet of all time happened on November 6, 2012 & started with "Four" & ended with these 2 words.

Spoiler
What is "More Years"?

Ben Juster (UCLA): $16,400+$0=$16,400...Automatic Semi-Finalist
Laurie Beckhoff(University of Chicago): $8,200+$5,200=$13,400
Cameron Kim (Duke): $5,400+$5,400=$10,800
Last edited by jeff6286 on Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Clammed on "cackle" to cost me the run in Ha Ha. "Ringtone" was enough to give me pause.

Nope, not even gonna try on the math. If I try, I'll get it wrong just like the last fifteen times.

Hard to Define for $200 was completely impenetrable to me. Anyone wanna explain that one?

After that, Hard to Define was not a hard category, but the clues just weren't clicking. I got snagged on "Power imbalance" at $400 and somehow couldn't think of anything other than "power play". And I knew the next three below them but couldn't get them to my mouth in time.

TV was really tough for me. Modern Family is the only one of those five shows that I've ever heard of.

====

4/5 in US Geo. Saw no way to get New Hampshire at $2000.

0/5 in "S"ports. I almost said "shootdown" at $400 and have NHO "starting blocks".

Blanked on Carroll and Wells in Authors, didn't think to pull Verne after it was negged on the previous clue, and ended up at 0/5.

Barely ran Rhyme Time. I pulled out "Bolivia trivia" just in time after both "Factoid" and "Paraguay" got me nowhere.

====

My thought process: The date's obviously not relevant here, so tune that out. But that could be literally anything. I see no possible way to figure this out unless you were there, and I apparently wasn't even though I have a Twitter.
esrever

Post by esrever »

Picked up Lach trash on "the aisles", "it", "straight sets", and "Bolivia trivia"

I didn't get FJ, because I didn't make the connection between the November 2012 date and the U.S. presidential election.
Alyssa
Contributor

Post by Alyssa »

esrever wrote: I didn't get FJ, because I didn't make the connection between the November 2012 date and the U.S. presidential election.
Same here! But I was only 12 (almost 13) when the last election happened. I didn't pay attention to it. Also, I don't use or read Twitter.
hanzz

Post by hanzz »

Interesting betting situation for Sarah. I'm of the opinion that in a quarterfinal situation, any sub-$10k score should just go all in, and it would have had a double benefit of giving her a shot at winning the game.
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

Instaget FJ! It was big news when it became the most retweeted tweet, along with the photo.

Cameron looks like Seth MacFarlane.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

After last week, the college games continue to be good for my ego. Another above-average Coryat for me.

However, I was also vividly reminded of my weak spots. In the J! round, I went 24 for 25 in categories not about recent TV, and 1 for 5 in the category about recent TV.

I like the clues where I learn something. For me, that was the case with the smallpox clue (never knew its etymology and didn't know why it was called "small") as well as the one about the term "chauffeur" appearing in the history of the Teamsters.

I got FJ quickly, but November 2012 was the first presidential election for which I lived in the US, so that helps.

Edit: I also thought Cameron looked like Seth MacFarlane.
dnbguy

Post by dnbguy »

I grew up in New Hampshire, and I had never heard of Rattlesnake Hill, or the name of the family. The "granite" in the clue was the only tipoff.

EDIT: I *also* thought Cameron looked like Seth MacFarlane.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

TenPoundHammer wrote:The date's obviously not relevant here, so tune that out.
That's the most important hint in the entire clue.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
skullturf

Post by skullturf »

It's true that *sometimes*, certain details are irrelevant, and it's helpful to tune them out. But that's not always the case. And this time, there wasn't much in the way of concrete hints apart from the date.
ArthurChu
Mad Genius Who Destroyed Jeopardy!

Post by ArthurChu »

Even without the date or the hint that it's a widely retweeted tweet I'm surprised people don't think "FOUR _______ ________" is a Pavlov for "FOUR MORE YEARS".

It certainly is for me -- partially because of the hilarious recontextualization as Steve Holt!'s student council campaign slogan on Arrested Development.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

TenPoundHammer wrote: My thought process: The date's obviously not relevant here, so tune that out. But that could be literally anything. I see no possible way to figure this out unless you were there, and I apparently wasn't even though I have a Twitter.
There is an adage about writing that says if you mention a gun, you better use it. The same rule applies to FJ clues. If they go to the trouble of mentioning something, its probably important.

This is a dangerous assumption, but you should know we had a presidential election in November 2012. If you ignore the date, you are stuck trying to think of a three word tweet starting with the word "four". I am not on Twitter and was unaware of this tweet. But it was a quick jump from a big news story from that month to a phrase often chanted by supporters of a president seeking re-election.

As for the wagers, I liked Cameron's. He is way behind so he did everything he could and doubled up. I wasn't wild about hers, a total of $3,200 isn't going to get you a wild card and I agree if you are below $10,000, you need to go all in. But at least she got above Cameron's doubled score (and then some), so she was assuring herself of second if she gets it right.

I also didn't like the winner's bet. In a normal game, you obviously bet zero in a lock/tie from the lead. But here he would have to play a tie breaker if she doubles up. While I do think $16,400 would be good for a wild card, why chance it? Bet the buck and the only way you lose is if you are wrong and she doubles.
Last edited by Bamaman on Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee »

silverscreentest wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:The date's obviously not relevant here, so tune that out.
That's the most important hint in the entire clue.
I got it by thinking about a three-word phrase that begins with "four" and then when it clicked the November 6, 2012 date confirmed it. Not quite an instaget but close.
skullturf

Post by skullturf »

I agree. The only opinion about bets that I formed during the commercial break was "The leader should bet $1."
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

Bamaman wrote:
I also didn't like the winner's bet. In a normal game, you obviously bet zero in a lock/tie from the lead. But here he would have to play a tie breaker if she doubles up. While I do think $16,400 would be good for a wild card, why chance it? Bet the buck and the only way you lose is if you are wrong and she doubles.
Agreed. The dollar almost definitely won't hurt you if you're wrong, and if you're right you're an automatic semifinalist. $0 was the second best bet, though.
ArthurChu

Post by ArthurChu »

Actually no, not really. From a game-theory standpoint $1 is a "better" bet than $0 if you're confident in the category, sure. If you're neutral on the category or unconfident in the category, it's a wash.

Look at it this way -- the only relevant scenario that threatens him is if she goes all-in and gets the question right. If he bets $0 then regardless of his answer, he has a 50/50 chance of winning on the "sudden death" tiebreaker.

But that's the SAME as his 50/50 chance of winning if he has a 50/50 chance on the category (i.e. he honestly believes himself to be "neutral" on the category "Social Media"). 50% chance he's right and beats her by $1, 50% chance he's wrong and loses by $1 but keeps his high wild-card-contention score.

From a strategy perspective either the $0 or the $1 is acceptable. If he believes "Social Media" is a strong category for him -- and judging by his age group and the triple-get on tonight's FJ it probably was a strong category -- then arguably $1 is the better bet.

However, if he really doesn't like this category or really doesn't like the FJ format in general (FJs tend to be harder "gets" as a whole than "normal" questions) and OTOH he's very confident that he has really great buzzer mojo, betting $0 and throwing it to the sudden death is an equally defensible strategy.

Now, me personally I hate the whole *idea* of a sudden death question where you have no idea what the hell the category is before they toss it up and it's almost 100% pure buzzer mojo that determines who takes home the game. But that's because of me and my own neurotic preferences -- strategically speaking for a certain person "going for the tiebreaker" is a completely defensible choice, IMO.
Last edited by ArthurChu on Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee »

Bamaman wrote: As for the wagers, I liked Cameron's. He is way behind so he did everything he could and doubled up. I wasn't wild about hers, a total of $3,200 isn't going to get you a wild card and I agree if you are below $10,000, you need to go all in. But at least she got above Cameron's doubled score (and then some), so she was assuring herself of second if she gets it right.

Agree x 2. Second place should have doubled up to tie the leader. Hedging the FJ bet the way she did would have been no use to her if she missed it. She's not getting into the semis on $3200. That being the situation, why not play for the win? The leader should have bet $1 because an outright win is the upside and a 99% chance of a successful wildcard total is the downside.
ArthurChu

Post by ArthurChu »

The thing about tiebreakers is that they're so rare that there's very little data to be gathered about them. However, if it's true that tiebreaker questions are nothing but recycled unused "normal" Jeopardy questions, then I can totally see it being strategic for someone who does poorly at the kind of questions they write for FJ (very tough questions that rely heavily on tease-outs) to intentionally bet $0 in a lock-tie situation hoping to get the tiebreaker. Having a very high chance at getting "normal" Jeopardy questions through quick buzzer reaction time while doing badly at FJs is hardly an uncommon trait.