Tuesday, February 11, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Re: Tuesday, February 11, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by trainman »

I guess everyone thought Cameron looked like Seth MacFarlane. I made this image so I could tweet it.

ArthurChu
Mad Genius Who Destroyed Jeopardy!

Post by ArthurChu »

Hmm, actually, you're right now that I think about it -- my own rule of thumb was always to assume that you and your opponent will be likely to share the same result (both get it or both flub it) unless you personally know you are unusually bad at a certain category (me and sports) or your opponent has revealed they are unusually bad at a certain category.

I just never really sat down and thought about tournament-format wagering strategy where "Go for the tie" isn't automatically good advice -- because, well, I wasn't in a tournament.

But you're right, the default assumption that triple-gets and triple-stumpers should be more common than splits -- plus the fact that, knowing what we know, in all likelihood the champ *wasn't* intimidated by the category because in reality it was a triple-get -- and the argument becomes pretty strong that the $0 wager was a mistake.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

I felt the generation gap tonight. LQTM = laughing quietly to myself? No clue. They don't know laughing in the aisles? Wow! Clara Bow = It? Just a little before their time. Skyhook and straight sets were stumpers? I bet the reactions at their viewing parties let them have it.

When was this tourney taped? The Walking Dead winter finale aired Dec. 1st when the spoiler in the clue happened. I feel sorry for any fans at the taping or viewers tonight who were not caught up on the show. At least the clue did not name the body part. What happened with that body part on Sunday's return of the show was....no words.

At least the category did not spoil the end of season 3 of Homeland for those not caught up on that one. Skull: I could complement your 1/5 in the Recent TV cagegory since my run includes having seeing every episode of every show used. You could have helped me with the 11 clues I did not get in the J! round.

If this FJ! clue had gone 0/3 then it would have gone beyond the usual "suprise" and "shock" we use in such events. The scores had to move in a positive direction. We'll see how it shakes out for wildcards and whether Laurie's wager costs her.

Any red staters on FB coming up with alternative responses to go with, "Four?"
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

MarkBarrett wrote:I.

When was this tourney taped? The Walking Dead winter finale aired Dec. 1st when the spoiler in the clue happened.
It taped in early January, as per an article at middlebury.edu; a student from there will be on the show Friday.
Last edited by legendneverdies on Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote:When was this tourney taped? The Walking Dead winter finale aired Dec. 1st when the spoiler in the clue happened. I feel sorry for any fans at the taping or viewers tonight who were not caught up on the show. At least the clue did not name the body part. What happened with that body part on Sunday's return of the show was....no words.
Like me. I was about 2 seasons behind. I got S3 for Christmas and blew through that. I DVR'd S4 prior to the mid-season premiere, but haven't made it all the way through those yet. Honestly, though, I don't really care as I still don't know what is lost or how it happens.
MarkBarrett wrote:Any red staters on FB coming up with alternative responses to go with, "Four?"
Yeah, but mine has an extra 7-letter word in it. ;)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Bamaman wrote:There is an adage about writing that says if you mention a gun, you better use it.
Checkov's gun, fwiw.
ArthurChu wrote:Basically tweets are the modern-day version of "headlines", only sometimes with dick jokes
:lol: :lol:

I'm assuming goatman ran the "ha ha" category ...

For me, I'll be part of the 2% who didn't get FJ! (TPH, make room on the couch). Partly because I'm a Canadian, and I'm blaming that on the fact that neither the date nor the phrase rang a bell; and partly because my joke answer that I got before Alex was done reading of "calling birds" refused to leave after its purpose was served. (In my defence, though, I did get it after Alex made his comments after the 30 seconds but before first reveal.)

(Sad thing was, I read this article about a month ago ... )
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
El Jefe

Post by El Jefe »

Is it just my peeve, or do others think 3 syllables in 'sophomore' is a bit pretentious, like pronouncing 'vegetables' with 4 (as a non-UKer)?

Merriam-Webster lists it as an 'also' pronunciation, indicating it's less preferred (not nonstandard) so it's acceptable but definitely noticeable (and annoying?). Johnny Gilbert is a 3-syllable man too.

Should I mention the similarly mispronounced 'Cool Hwhip' running gag since Seth's son was on the show tonight, just to beat someone else to it? Giggety-giggety-giggety!

Jeffrey
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

El Jefe wrote:Is it just my peeve, or do others think 3 syllables in 'sophomore' is a bit pretentious, like pronouncing 'vegetables' with 4 (as a non-UKer)?
I agree. Of course, to me, "syncope" has two syllables.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

MarkBarrett wrote:I felt the generation gap tonight. LQTM = laughing quietly to myself? No clue. They don't know laughing in the aisles? Wow! Clara Bow = It? Just a little before their time. Skyhook and straight sets were stumpers? I bet the reactions at their viewing parties let them have it.

When was this tourney taped? The Walking Dead winter finale aired Dec. 1st when the spoiler in the clue happened. I feel sorry for any fans at the taping or viewers tonight who were not caught up on the show. At least the clue did not name the body part. What happened with that body part on Sunday's return of the show was....no words.

At least the category did not spoil the end of season 3 of Homeland for those not caught up on that one. Skull: I could complement your 1/5 in the Recent TV cagegory since my run includes having seeing every episode of every show used. You could have helped me with the 11 clues I did not get in the J! round.

If this FJ! clue had gone 0/3 then it would have gone beyond the usual "suprise" and "shock" we use in such events. The scores had to move in a positive direction. We'll see how it shakes out for wildcards and whether Laurie's wager costs her.

Any red staters on FB coming up with alternative responses to go with, "Four?"
I didn't get FJ!, probably because I don't tweet, and also because I don't commit the dates of presidential elections to memory(although if the clue had room to say 'first Tuesday in November' instead of November 6, then I would have gotten it.)
My response was 'Four Who Cares?', and since I knew that isn't a thing, I knew I was dead.
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

El Jefe wrote:Is it just my peeve, or do others think 3 syllables in 'sophomore' is a bit pretentious, like pronouncing 'vegetables' with 4 (as a non-UKer)?

Merriam-Webster lists it as an 'also' pronunciation, indicating it's less preferred (not nonstandard) so it's acceptable but definitely noticeable (and annoying?). Johnny Gilbert is a 3-syllable man too.

Should I mention the similarly mispronounced 'Cool Hwhip' running gag since Seth's son was on the show tonight, just to beat someone else to it? Giggety-giggety-giggety!

Jeffrey
Spoiler for yesterday's show:
Spoiler
That was worse than the time three knuckleheads couldn't identify Sicily...too soon?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Yes, it's too soon for people who haven't watched yesterday's show.

(Moderator note: The offending text has been spoilerized.)
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

trainman wrote:I guess everyone thought Cameron looked like Seth MacFarlane.
Actually, I thought Seth looks like Cameron.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

I am shocked! Truly SHOCKED, I tell you, that this wasn't a TS. I mean, out of the four billion words in the English language, how many are actually used in tweets? And to have three actual English words in one tweet. Truly beyond comprehension!

I don't know why some dates stick in my head, but I remember November 6th, 2012 as the (main) subject of a certain thread here on JBoard, so for me, it was an instaget (but like another poster here said, I thought that it was a four word phrase with another 7-letter word not mentioned in the clue).

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Lefty wrote:
I agree. Of course, to me, "syncope" has two syllables.
Are you kidding me?? "Syncope," like"epitome," is the epitome of a three syllable word!
Coelacanth
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Coelacanth »

ArthurChu wrote: However, if it's true that tiebreaker questions are nothing but recycled unused "normal" Jeopardy questions,
It isn't.

In format and content they are like "normal" questions, but they are specifically written to be tiebreakers.
Brian Weikle
Season 19
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Remember that Alex is Canadian and still holds on to some of his Canadianisms. He does pronounce "z" as "zee" because it'd be too obvious otherwise but, subconsciously or not, he still has many Canadianisms there. (And remember our particular brand of English is a cross between American and British English.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
ArthurChu
Mad Genius Who Destroyed Jeopardy!

Post by ArthurChu »

Well we have almost no data to judge from, but the one tiebreaker I remember (the first one in history, that I actually saw on TV when I was a little kid) was one that basically required you to know the author of The Sun Also Rises was Hemingway -- maybe not a top-row clue but not strikingly higher in difficulty than a typical mid-row clue.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I did not think he looked like Seth MacFarlane. Mainly because I had never heard of him before.
sarah0114
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by sarah0114 »

skullturf wrote:
ArthurChu wrote:It also helps that if you know anything about Twitter, Twitter is an extremely BREAKING NEWS-oriented, present-moment-based form of social media communication. ANYTHING involving identifying any significant/newsworthy tweet is probably going to hinge heavily on the specific date that the tweet was tweeted.
When I first read the clue, there was about half a second where my brain saw the words "most retweeted tweet" and also saw that there was a date, but hadn't really "processed" the date yet. In that half second, I thought the tweet might have something to do with the capture of Osama Bin Laden (another very "breaking news" event of the past few years). But then "November 2012" clicked, and I thought of a three-word slogan starting with "four" that people sometimes say.
The way the clue was phrased:
The most retweeted tweet of all time happened on Nov. 6, 2012 & started with “Four” & ended with these 2 words.
did not automatically make me think FOUR ____ ____ (which would have been more obvious). I was thinking "Okay, it starts with 'four', then we have no idea how many words are in the middle, then we're looking for the two words at the end. It's about Twitter, so maybe something to do with the Arab Spring? No, it's in November--" Then my husband shouted out the answer. I'm not sure if I would have gotten it on my own given the rest of the think music.
Fishercat

Post by Fishercat »

dnbguy wrote:I grew up in New Hampshire, and I had never heard of Rattlesnake Hill, or the name of the family. The "granite" in the clue was the only tipoff.

EDIT: I *also* thought Cameron looked like Seth MacFarlane.
Hey Mark, is there any way this could be in this week's poll? Granite was the tip off, but like DNB, those aren't exactly well known in NH. I've been here 25ish years, and I only recently became aware of Swenson Granite and still don't know what Rattlesnake Hill is (looks like it's close to my city too).

It seemed like a very obscure question for the college boards, if you don't pull the granite as the key point you have no shot.

Unrelated, FJ was a get on my end but I think dh, Sarah, etc. give some pretty good reasons on why someone can get tripped up on it.

Tuesday's board, especially in DJ, was a dream. It was one of those rare games for me (even at college level) were the clues just fit my knowledge base perfectly.
Last edited by Fishercat on Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.