Your Screenname: What inspired it?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

OrchidEntity
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Your Screenname: What inspired it?

Post by OrchidEntity »

Bumping this thread from days long past...

Always liked the color purple, but actual orchid flowers (which have a wide range of colors) can be pinkish as well. Pink has grown on me more in recent years, so for me, Orchid encapsulates both purple and pink. Entity sounds kind of cool and...well, I am something/someone who has a real existence.

I also like how the two words, when put together, have "identity" in them. Not sure if the leftover word, orch (shorthand for orchestra), applies to me that well...I like orchestral music, but have zero musical talent.

EDIT: Grammatical fix!
"Everything ends. Life goes on. I'll be gone. So will you. So hug people tightly. Take joy in their heartbeats and drink something cold and go play in the shade. That is all." -Bob Harris, Prisoner of Trebekistan
-
I post whatever (but mostly mushrooms and nature stuff) on Bluesky.
idearat
Valued Contributor

Post by idearat »

My name is Mike Murphy. There are a million Mike Murphys out there. I tried in the early internet/web days to get something that wasn't my name with six digits after it. I have a bunch of patents, so I am an idea guy. When I saw this Scott Adams strip I jumped on "idearat". It was unique, so I was able to get it on most any forum or other online spot. I snagged it on gmail as soon as it was open for anyone to sign up. I got it on twitter. I pretty much have it on everything.

idearat.gif
idearat.gif (76.53 KiB) Viewed 867 times
I got the bronze on Jeopardy!
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

idearat wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:46 pm My name is Mike Murphy. There are a million Mike Murphys out there.
I wish HowManyOfMe.com were still around. I would have quickly disproven there being 1 million people named Michael Murphy.
Douglas Squasoni
idearat
Valued Contributor

Post by idearat »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:16 am
idearat wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:46 pm My name is Mike Murphy. There are a million Mike Murphys out there.
I wish HowManyOfMe.com were still around. I would have quickly disproven there being 1 million people named Michael Murphy.
hyperbole
[ hahy-pur-buh-lee ]

📓 High School Level
noun Rhetoric.
obvious and intentional exaggeration.
an extravagant statement or figure of speech not intended to be taken literally, as “to wait an eternity.”
I got the bronze on Jeopardy!
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

idearat wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:13 pm
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:16 am
hyperbole
[ hahy-pur-buh-lee ]

📓 High School Level
noun Rhetoric.
obvious and intentional exaggeration.
an extravagant statement or figure of speech not intended to be taken literally, as “to wait an eternity.”
Now I'm curious about the link between rhetoric and hyperbole ;). Also, how do you monetize a website "how many of me?". Must be why it's defunct now. Who is going to check it twice? You forgot to say "literally a million people", which is code for "not really literally".

Thanks for the intel on your handle. I share my enthusiasm with twelvefootgirl when a boardie comes on, but could not decode idea rat, or ide arat, or i de arat :) . I still like Dilbert but Adams needs to be amongst his own. Congrats on your patents, and I can identify with idea rat when it comes to actionability.

(My handle is the result of the webmaster for our brand new company website asking me for a handle for personal communication and my first ever email. I was unprepared to think of something but just pole vaulted 12 feet that afternoon so twelvefootboy it is. So far, I haven't had to become twelvefootboy287362. If I were honorable, I would demote myself to tenfootboy now, lol)
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Trevor807
Loyal Jeopardista
Location: Fort Worth, Texas (moving back to Bradley, Illinois soon)

Post by Trevor807 »

Just my first name and my birthday (August 7). It's been my default screenname for a few years now.
“Take your job seriously, but don't take yourself too seriously.” - Alex Trebek, 1940-2020

Pegasus icon by Siahri!
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Trevor807 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:37 pm Just my first name and my birthday (August 7). It's been my default screenname for a few years now.
Aw... I was hoping you were from Northwestern Ontario
viewtopic.php?t=4694
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Trevor807
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Trevor807 »

Yeah, sometimes I wish I were Canadian too. ;)
“Take your job seriously, but don't take yourself too seriously.” - Alex Trebek, 1940-2020

Pegasus icon by Siahri!
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

Trevor807 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:37 pm Just my first name and my birthday (August 7). It's been my default screenname for a few years now.
That's my birthday too! :D
Trevor807
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Trevor807 »

Guess I know when to celebrate your birthday then. ;)

Pegasus icon by Siahri!
Game Girl

Post by Game Girl »

my parents used to call the Game Boy the Game Girl (they were up to Advance SP in Game Boy editions. So long of a name I had to research and because of that we just did not bother with the extensions simplicity reasons.) when I was a child for gender reasons. so when I was thinking of a anonymous username I thought this would fit the game shows form along with the reference to a nice childhood memory.