Your Screenname: What inspired it?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Shaymin
Valued Contributor

Re: Your Screenname: What inspired it?

Post by Shaymin »

I started using this username on a video game messageboard in 2010, and the Pokemon in question had just been distributed in North America for the first time.
Gumby385
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Gumby385 »

My screen name was inspired by my childhood hero, who was once a little green slab of clay. The 385 is the street address of the house I lived in prior to where I live now.

Tim
El Jefe
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by El Jefe »

UiscePreston wrote:Uisce is the Irish word for "water". It is pronounced similar to the English word whiskey.
Lingual prowess that you possess, may I assume that you've come across all the 8 USQ- forms (transliterations now in English) of it as well? (Of greatest import to me and the rest of my tournament scrabbling mates are USQUABAE and USQUEBAE; 5-vowel eights are handy words to land and more probable than the average person suspects)
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

This was linked to in another thread, and I thought I'd bring it to the first page for the people (like me) who have joined within the last 2+ years.

Mine is simple: it's when you hit a dude in the ding with a hammer.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I have enjoyed reviewing all 13 pages of the old thread but there are still some active posters who haven't bared their secrets (one rhymes with raven, hint, hint).

Like many, mine was an early handle that is convenient to maintain to separate the business account from the personal. I took up track as a wannabe master's athlete and the first day I was able to clear 12 feet in the pole vault in practice was the day our webmaster set up our first email accounts. I just gave him twelvefootboy as a placeholder, and inertia has taken care of the rest. I once got trolled by a pedophile looking for twelve year old boys so I use a vaulting picture as an avatar - the current pic is the only one handy when I did my profile. I'll update it with something less vain sometime (remember, inertia, lol).

Thanks to bpmod for reviving this on demand, and dinghammer for the kickstart.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

I've never seen this thread, and thought it worthwhile to explain my name. My undergrad degree is from Ouachita (pronounced wash-uh-taw) Baptist, a small university in Arkansas. I'm originally from Ohio, where nobody had heard of the school, so when I'd tell people up here where I would be going to school once I decided on it, they'd all say, "Ouachi- what?" I thought it was funny, and the Oua- and wha- are pronounced the same. Hence, ouachiouat.

On a side note, my first-ever season in LL had an Arkansas 1D. http://www.learnedleague.com/oneday.php?arkansas See question 2. Ouachita hit the big time!
Lisa0012 wrote:This is why I can never marry someone whose last name begins with D. I've already got the LS part...
Yeah, my last name is Hitt, so my parents warned me to never marry a girl who has the first or middle initial of S. When I was first starting to get interested in dating my now-wife, I asked her what her full name was to make sure she didn't have a middle name that started with an S. We also had to make sure our kids didn't have an S for an initial, either...though when we were asked if we had names picked out for our first child before we knew if she would be a boy or girl, I'd tell people that if it was a girl, we'd name her Amanda Hitt (and no, we didn't....), but if it was a boy, we thought the Biblical kingdom of Osh was really cool-sounding, so we would name him Osh. It was hilarious to watch people as they got the joke (usually they'd say the first and last name together out loud, realize what they just said, and then turn red with embarrassment and then start cracking up :lol: ).
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

First initial spelled out, second initial, and two numbers I've often been using for usernames.
Maven
Fate's Law Prevails

Post by Maven »

Why 'Maven'?

1. It is a word I have always liked.

2. Its definition is essentially someone who regards him/herself knowledgeable and a connoisseur. And I certainly fall into both categories.

3. It is a word very heavily bandied about in many a jazz, fashion, and theatre circle...all three of which interest me quite considerably.

4. Although invented around 1950 (based on the Yiddish word 'meyvn', which in turn was based on the Hebrew word 'mēbhīn'), the word didn't become chic and hip until the 60's...making it truly a word of the late 60's/early 70's.

and

5. Why not?
Last edited by Maven on Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Yes, I can do that!" - Ivan Lawrence Blieden

"Those who believe need no explanation." - Dionysos, The Bacchae by Euripides

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven
snowdenscold
Contributor

Post by snowdenscold »

Mine is a somewhat callous Catch-22 reference - it should properly be "Snowden's cold."

Chose it years before the NSA leaks several years back. Bad coincidence - oh well, sigh. Now every post of mine is probably flagged for that keyword in some database...
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

Well, I'm green, tentacular, dead but immortal... :mrgreen:

And a big fan of the speculative fiction of Howard Phillips Lovecraft.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
AleBelly
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by AleBelly »

I chose my name as a living example of what happens when you like beer too much and let exercise fall out of your daily routine.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Volante wrote:That way --->

Largo's boat from Thunderball. Been using it since the late 90s.
(Added bonus Bond tie-in: an Aston Martin Volante cameoed in The Living Daylights. (A Vantage was used for the actual driving scenes later on.))
Now there's a blast from the past. The Disco Volante (flying saucer) IIRC.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

The old television series, "The Waltons."

Not sure why, as I was never much of a fan.

Maybe it was either that or "My so-called life."
doriko
Contributor

Post by doriko »

In 1996 I was working for a Japanese video game company, based in the US; and most of the Japanese people working in the office had adopted Americanized names, e.g. Harry for Haruhiku.
Since many of my co-workers had American names, I requested they suggest a Japanese name for me, hence: Doriko
The funny thing is, I was the first US employee to ever request a Japanese name, and in addition to a screen name it gained me a lot of good will. : )
(BTW, my mortgage company and I both very much care about video games—I’m still in the biz).
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I never posted in this thread because I assumed mine is obvious, but in case it's not it's just a send-up of Johnny Gilbert's "This is Jeopardy!" intro with my first name replacing Jeopardy.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

This Is Kirk! wrote:I never posted in this thread because I assumed mine is obvious, but in case it's not it's just a send-up of Johnny Gilbert's "This is Jeopardy!" intro with my first name replacing Jeopardy.
Oh, NOW you tell me! :lol:
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

This Is Kirk! wrote:I never posted in this thread because I assumed mine is obvious, but in case it's not it's just a send-up of Johnny Gilbert's "This is Jeopardy!" intro with my first name replacing Jeopardy.
I had assumed it was about Star Trek.
WooWho?
Jeopardy! Almost-Champion

Post by WooWho? »

A homophone of a common expression of glee (which includes my last name), phrased in the form of a question. It's been so long, I hadn't realized I'd responded to this thread already. Strike the preceding from the record, please.
アタックチャンス!
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

I think it's a pretty obvious pun on one of the UN Secretary-General that seems to always generate a triple stumper on J!. On most other sites, my username is dxdtdemon, which started out from having been the captain (and fastest mathlete) of an undefeated math relay team back in high school.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I misspelled the name of Beyonce's dad and longtime manager.

What you don't believe me?
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.