J! in the Media

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Re: J! in the Media

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

alietr wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:03 am The idea of the thread is to alert people to Jeopardy citations.
With all due respect, if this is the point of this thread, there is a major difference between the articles that initially populated the thread when it was created and the "vox Twittuli" that dominates the Jeopardy! media in 2023, and posting every single citation is going to see this thread—and by extension, this board—becoming 100% useless.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:39 am
alietr wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:03 am The idea of the thread is to alert people to Jeopardy citations.
With all due respect, if this is the point of this thread, there is a major difference between the articles that initially populated the thread when it was created and the "vox Twittuli" that dominates the Jeopardy! media in 2023, and posting every single citation is going to see this thread—and by extension, this board—becoming 100% useless.
It does make for an interesting study though. The first half of posts in this thread cover a span of 10 years. The second half, 2.5 years. If the majority of posts are links to 3rd parties, that still speaks to an increase in Jeopardy! coverage. The NY Post, et. al., wouldn't bother with J! clickbait if it didn't draw clicks.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The story just linked was related to a similar discussion we had in the game thread.
AndyTheQuizzer

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:25 am The story just linked was related to a similar discussion we had in the game thread.
Regardless of its relevance, posting it to JBoard only serves to encourage that form of journalism, and we should be above that here.
Andy Saunders
floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by floridagator »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:31 am

The opening sentence of its Wikipedia article calls the New York Post a tabloid.
A tabloid is merely a newspaper that is printed on paper with the weave going up and down rather than side to side. A tabloid page is typically half the size of a broadsheet page. Tabloids have thrived in cities with subway systems because tabloids are easier to read on the subway than broadsheets.

Some prominent tabloids in the United States include the Chicago Sun-Times, Newsday, the Boston Herald, and, yes, the New York Post and the Daily News. In Canada you have the chain of Sun newspapers and also the Vancouver Province.

I am alerted to most of the articles about Jeopardy that I share in this thread by them turning up in my Facebook feed. Apparently Facebook's algorithm is to give me more of whatever I have been known to click on in the past.
Last edited by floridagator on Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

floridagator wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:54 pm I am allergic to most of the articles about Jeopardy that I share in this thread
Speech transcription error, or Freudian slip? :lol:
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:43 pm
floridagator wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:54 pm I am allergic to most of the articles about Jeopardy that I share in this thread
Speech transcription error, or Freudian slip? :lol:
My current Samsung phone doesn't hear me as well as my old one.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:25 am For my part, I just don't want to see reposted here the types of articles that where all they do is compile a few quotes from reddit and/or Twitter and call it news. That's the definition of clickbait. And so many outlets do this sort of content farming now that it doesn't well serve anyone to be reposting that sort of thing here. So while I don't think a wholesale ban on the Post in this thread is necessary or appropriate, the particular article complained of is kind of junky.
I think that's what "journalism" is these days. Reporters go out into cyberspace rather than dare venture out past the confining doors of their offices or bedrooms.

The increase in stories about Jeopardy are a reflection of its ratings relative to the rest of a medium (broadcast television) that is dying, aside from football games. Those stories, unfortunately, are mostly, as we've all noticed, just Twitter searches, rewarding those willing to post the most ridiculous reaction.

The media clings to relevance these days by keeping us in a state of perpetual outrage.

I can't say the NY Post is any better or worse than any other source. It is, of course, technically a tabloid. Andy was probably using the more negative connotation. If we called the NYT a tabloid, we'd be incorrect, even though it's pretty much the same thing these days in terms of content - some reporting, mostly outrage.

I don't think an item like this can be cultivated fairly. It is what it is. If a moderator wants this site only to reflect one side of the perpetual outrage spectrum, then it's no different from any individual account on Twitter or Facebook or any current source of what we call journalism, but resembles what we used to call journalism in name only.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

Count me in as rejecting a ban on citing the Post here; seems rather…precious…to me. Not like it’s the Grauniad, after all :lol:
AndyTheQuizzer

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Anachronism wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:35 pm I don't think an item like this can be cultivated fairly. It is what it is. If a moderator wants this site only to reflect one side of the perpetual outrage spectrum, then it's no different from any individual account on Twitter or Facebook or any current source of what we call journalism, but resembles what we used to call journalism in name only.
If you don't think it can be cultivated fairly, then I would propose we lock the thread entirely and permit individual threads on properly-researched longer-form articles regarding the show and its contestants.
Andy Saunders
AndyTheQuizzer

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

cthulhu wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:07 pm Count me in as rejecting a ban on citing the Post here; seems rather…precious…to me. Not like it’s the Grauniad, after all :lol:
For a message board whose general overall tune has been "keep Jeopardy! the same way it's been", encouraging the media that's essentially turning Jeopardy! into what you hate is a particularly weird tack.

Jeopardy! is turning more and more into a show of personalities, and clickbait journalism is absolutely feeding that.
Andy Saunders
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Season 35 1-time champion Charbel Barakat was appointed by Florida Governor DeSantis to that Disney board the governor made up.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/2023/06 ... ght-board/
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Robert K S wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:33 am Season 35 1-time champion Charbel Barakat was appointed by Florida Governor DeSantis to that Disney board the governor made up.

I hope Disney eats their lunch.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:51 am
Anachronism wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:35 pm I don't think an item like this can be cultivated fairly. It is what it is. If a moderator wants this site only to reflect one side of the perpetual outrage spectrum, then it's no different from any individual account on Twitter or Facebook or any current source of what we call journalism, but resembles what we used to call journalism in name only.
If you don't think it can be cultivated fairly, then I would propose we lock the thread entirely and permit individual threads on properly-researched longer-form articles regarding the show and its contestants.
More that I mean an urge to cultivate it indicates a bias of a certain sort - a belief that what's going on in journalism can be addressed through political purification. Your proposal sounds more Xi than glasnost.
davey

Post by davey »

Anachronism wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:40 pm
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:51 am
More that I mean an urge to cultivate it indicates a bias of a certain sort - a belief that what's going on in journalism can be addressed through political purification. Your proposal sounds more Xi than glasnost.
What does "cultivate" mean in this context?
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

davey wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:12 pm What does "cultivate" mean in this context?
As you would with farming, an effort to arrange the forum in such a way to propagate a particular political view of the world. Kind of like curating, except that would be one person creating all the items from a suggestion box of sorts.

Andy's noticed, like many of us, that Jeopardy! is becoming more a show about personalities. I would blame that on conscious casting decisions on the part of production and the concept that we need "masters" and "second chances" and likely third and fourth chances because once you go down this road it becomes the culture.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

alietr wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:52 am
Robert K S wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:33 am Season 35 1-time champion Charbel Barakat was appointed by Florida Governor DeSantis to that Disney board the governor made up.

I hope DeSantis eats their lunch.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

DBear wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:13 pm

I've eaten a number of Disney lunches. Most were pretty good. I think my favorite was a seafood platter at the Blue Bayou restaurant overlooking the launch dock for the Pirates of the Caribbean ride.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

I just miss the days when theme parks kept out of politics and politicians had more important things to do than worry about theme parks.

I blame Jeopardy.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

AFRET CMS wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:36 pm
DBear wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:13 pm

I've eaten a number of Disney lunches. Most were pretty good. I think my favorite was a seafood platter at the Blue Bayou restaurant overlooking the launch dock for the Pirates of the Caribbean ride.
I've been very fond of the Casa de Fritos on my visits to Disneyland. I've not had occasion to sample the DeSantis platter. The Trump platter was at first very satisfying but now seems very filling. I will definitely not be partaking of the Biden Harris nothingburger. Were the Democrats really sure about that?