J! in the Media

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Re: J! in the Media

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

cf1140 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 2:28 pm I was a little miffed at Jane Lynch not getting a nod, but then I remembered The Weakest Link is more of a reality show than a game show.
Link and Lynch were both eligible in the game show category.

https://variety.com/feature/2023-emmys- ... 235635317/
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/j ... tid=Zxz2cZ

The first part of the article is the standard “player is dumb for missing easy FJ” nonsense but it is the second part that drew my attention.

A recent female player got a bunch of creepy comments on line, including a suggestion she join OnlyFans.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:47 am https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/j ... tid=Zxz2cZ

The first part of the article is the standard “player is dumb for missing easy FJ” nonsense but it is the second part that drew my attention.

A recent female player got a bunch of creepy comments on line, including a suggestion she join OnlyFans.
CailinGaoilge
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

Is there any actual evidence that Sony is considering using recycled clues to do an end run around the strikers?
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

Spoiler
Hugo Z wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 6:18 pm Is there any actual evidence that Sony is considering using recycled clues to do an end run around the strikers?
If Randy Wests Facebook post is evidence, yes
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

cf1140 wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 6:41 pm
Spoiler
Hugo Z wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 6:18 pm Is there any actual evidence that Sony is considering using recycled clues to do an end run around the strikers?
If Randy Wests Facebook post is evidence, yes
Link?
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

Hollywood Reporter now picking up on the TOC contestants' refusal to cross picket lines:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv ... 235544627/
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

Thanks, that answers the question. Now we can question the answer.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

Has it been confirmed that they have a question set they randomly don't use each week and could, conceivably, cobble together weeks of shows from relatively recent material? A question set that writers have already been paid for.

Otherwise, recycling would definitely change the game in that there's often a recency element to trivia. Those darned Etruscans would not be affected, but anything pop culture has a (fortunately) short shelf-life. Other stuff is in-between, and some trivia would have to be checked to determine if it's still true. Does Jeopardy have dedicated fact-checkers, and if so, are they union?
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Anachronism wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:47 pm Has it been confirmed that they have a question set they randomly don't use each week and could, conceivably, cobble together weeks of shows from relatively recent material? A question set that writers have already been paid for.
I don't have any inside information but I think all you need to do to understand the type and extent of material re-use we might be looking at is look back to what happened last time. (It wasn't clear to me, back then, whether those boards were assembled by producers or by writers, pre-strike, under instructions to hastily assemble material from the back catalog.)

Jeopardy! does have "dedicated fact checkers" (they're called researchers) and my sense is that they don't fall under the WGA, but I'm not sure about that. The reason why I believe that is because initially, in the '80s, all the writers were referred to researchers as a way to deny that what they were doing qualified as television writing in order to keep their work from falling under the auspices of union contracts. Most or maybe all of the writers are former researchers for the show who graduated into open writing positions.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

The information about the 2007/8 strike is interesting. I hadn't realized that they had done this before and that Alex had hosted during the strike without any blowback, not even from Wil Wheaton. He even shook off a mild heart attack during the strike, returning from the holiday break in January, right on schedule.

Wikipedia says the strike ran from Nov 5, 2007 through Feb 12, 2008. During that period a Teen Tournament and regular play games for Feb 25 through April 25 were taped. It's not clear to me how many of those used recycled material and how much they had already prepared. I'd bet at least the Teen Tournament, which taped on January 14 and 15, had already been prepared. It's also not clear to me how soon after the end of the strike they were able to go back to using new boards. I assume at least the five games that taped on Feb 13 were still using old stuff. But the writers had 6 days to prepare 10 boards for the games that would be taped on Feb 19 and 20. That would include Larissa Kelly's 7 games. Did she play through old material or have clues that were still warm from the oven?

Not that I want to make work for anyone, but it would be interesting to see a notation in the archive if this information is known. Not sure of the wording. Just something to indicate that this game was prepared using X% recycled clues due to the WGA strike.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

The art category from Larissa Kelly Game 2 was recycled from Million Dollar Masters. That was during the last strike.
Douglas Squasoni
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:20 am The art category from Larissa Kelly Game 2 was recycled from Million Dollar Masters. That was during the last strike.
https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=342
https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2486

Three of the five clues were the same. The other two were from a regular play game in 2001 and one in 2002 (with the word "exhibition" changed to "exhibit". Does this not count as "writing"?) The centaur clue was revalued from top row to row 2 . The Primavera clue was a TS in MDM, which may have led to it being revalued from row 3 to row 4 and having a visual of the painting added. It still triple stumped. Surprising, given that Larissa was one of the players. But probably equally surprising in the MDM, given that Brad Rutter was one of the players. And in MDM the category was ART & ARTISTS, while for LKG2 it was EUROPEAN ART. Does changing a category name count as "writing"? For that matter, isn't arranging the clues part of the writing?
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:04 pm
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:20 am The art category from Larissa Kelly Game 2 was recycled from Million Dollar Masters. That was during the last strike.
https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=342
https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2486

Three of the five clues were the same. The other two were from a regular play game in 2001 and one in 2002 (with the word "exhibition" changed to "exhibit". Does this not count as "writing"?) The centaur clue was revalued from top row to row 2 . The Primavera clue was a TS in MDM, which may have led to it being revalued from row 3 to row 4 and having a visual of the painting added. It still triple stumped. Surprising, given that Larissa was one of the players. But probably equally surprising in the MDM, given that Brad Rutter was one of the players. And in MDM the category was ART & ARTISTS, while for LKG2 it was EUROPEAN ART. Does changing a category name count as "writing"? For that matter, isn't arranging the clues part of the writing?
If you're changing one pre-existing category name to another pre-existing name, I'd say it's more like "editing."
OrchidEntity
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by OrchidEntity »

A nice article about S39 alumnus Chris Ban (who won on June 27 and got second place the following game) was posted to J! Reddit, and I think is worth sharing here as well. It's about Chris donating all of his Jeopardy winnings to the construction of a boathouse named after his late brother, whom he had mentioned in his first contestant interview.
"Everything ends. Life goes on. I'll be gone. So will you. So hug people tightly. Take joy in their heartbeats and drink something cold and go play in the shade. That is all." -Bob Harris, Prisoner of Trebekistan
-
I post whatever (but mostly mushrooms and nature stuff) on Bluesky.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »