J! in the Media

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

squarekara
J! Reactionary

Re: J! in the Media

Post by squarekara »

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

I love how the backend of EW is tagging that article with that otherwise forgettable Tommy Lee Jones/Ashley Judd vehicle from '99
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
OrchidEntity
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by OrchidEntity »

A somber article from Polygon with interviews from anonymous S37/38 contestants.
"Everything ends. Life goes on. I'll be gone. So will you. So hug people tightly. Take joy in their heartbeats and drink something cold and go play in the shade. That is all." -Bob Harris, Prisoner of Trebekistan
-
I post whatever (but mostly mushrooms and nature stuff) on Bluesky.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

Volante wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:35 am
I love how the backend of EW is tagging that article with that otherwise forgettable Tommy Lee Jones/Ashley Judd vehicle from '99
Ashley Judd is many things, but forgettable is not one of them. Especially with the love scene on the boat. 8-)
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

OrchidEntity wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:49 am A somber article from Polygon with interviews from anonymous S37/38 contestants.
Can anyone explain to me why this time around is so different from the 2007/8 strike? Didn't they recycle clues then, and with new contestants to boot? Those contestants competed without any articles about the agonizing decision. Trebek continued to host and was not vilified for doing so. Or was I just not aware of all the angst last time because I wasn't on the Sony board?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:42 pm
OrchidEntity wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:49 am A somber article from Polygon with interviews from anonymous S37/38 contestants.
Can anyone explain to me why this time around is so different from the 2007/8 strike? Didn't they recycle clues then, and with new contestants to boot? Those contestants competed without any articles about the agonizing decision. Trebek continued to host and was not vilified for doing so. Or was I just not aware of all the angst last time because I wasn't on the Sony board?
Social media was in its infancy and nobody had been cancelled yet.
jev15
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jev15 »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:42 pm
I think part of it is that there is a lot more coverage this time around due to the concurrent actors' strike. I also think that social media has made people more conscious of their public profile, i.e. 2008 contestants didn't have to worry about being labeled as "strikebreakers" on platforms seen by millions of people.
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

Can't say it's advisable to hide behind the ghost of Alex Trebek when you want to justify your actions...
https://www.tvinsider.com/1102110/jeopa ... im-bialik/
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Hugo Z wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:12 pm Can't say it's advisable to hide behind the ghost of Alex Trebek when you want to justify your actions...
https://www.tvinsider.com/1102110/jeopa ... im-bialik/
Nor is it advisable to invoke someone who hosted a show through a writers' strike to criticize someone for hosting a show through a writers' strike.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

In a thread in the Facebook group for Ken's podcast, he confirmed that he is a member of SAG-AFTRA (seems like there's been some question about this), and that he's been specifically told by the union that, since they're not striking against J!, he needs to fulfill his existing contract with the show and host the episodes.

That obviously doesn't explain the Mayim situation, but presumably she has a different contract with the show (since Ken is technically part of the production staff).

Unfortunately, it looks like the thread has been deleted (as you might expect, it was testy from the beginning), so I can't provide screenshots.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

New York Times article featuring Mattea Roach (gifted to avoid paywall):

How Do You Deal With a Windfall in Your 20s?
Trevor807
Loyal Jeopardista
Location: Fort Worth, Texas (moving back to Bradley, Illinois soon)

Post by Trevor807 »

Rolling Stone's 50 Worst Decisions in TV History puts Mike Richards' antics at 50:

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-movies/ ... 234796848/
“Take your job seriously, but don't take yourself too seriously.” - Alex Trebek, 1940-2020

Pegasus icon by Siahri!
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Ken has stopped commenting on the hosting situation, but his podcast co-host had Some Thoughts on Facebook:

cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

trainman that was probably deleted for a reason.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

cf1140 wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 12:10 pm trainman that was probably deleted for a reason.
John's post is still there.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Who's the daughter? 2:05

LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 12:39 pm Who's the daughter? 2:05

The Mary Campbell from Season 15?
Douglas Squasoni
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I found an article from 1994 about Mary's upcoming J! appearance that names her daughter as Mary Rose (also Ilena got the elder Mary's middle name wrong: it's Alma, not Ann). Maybe the 1999 contestant Mary Campbell is her daughter, although the article mentions a postgraduate degree in chemical engineering and the 1999 contestant was a lawyer.

Edit: the article said the younger Mary got her chemical engineering degree from Carnegie Mellon, and searching this I found a Mary Campbell account on Facebook that also studied law, and that account posted that same video last night saying her mom made the local news. So yes, the 1999 contestant is the daughter.
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

econgator wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 12:19 pm
cf1140 wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 12:10 pm trainman that was probably deleted for a reason.
John's post is still there.
trainman's post from yesterday afternoon is not there.