J! in the Media

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: J! in the Media

Post by Hugo Z »

And down the slippery slope we go. Wheeeee!
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

AFRET CMS wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:36 pm
DBear wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:13 pm
alietr wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:52 am
Robert K S wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:33 am Season 35 1-time champion Charbel Barakat was appointed by Florida Governor DeSantis to that Disney board the governor made up.
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/2023/06 ... ght-board/
I hope Disney eats their lunch.
I hope DeSantis eats their lunch.
I've eaten a number of Disney lunches. Most were pretty good. I think my favorite was a seafood platter at the Blue Bayou restaurant overlooking the launch dock for the Pirates of the Caribbean ride.
If anyone runs a poll, put me down for the Monte Cristo and a Mint Julep mocktail. 🏴‍☠️
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

squarekara wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:31 pm
alietr wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:52 am
Robert K S wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:33 am Season 35 1-time champion Charbel Barakat was appointed by Florida Governor DeSantis to that Disney board the governor made up.
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/2023/06 ... ght-board/
I hope Disney eats their lunch.
I've eaten a number of Disney lunches. Most were pretty good. I think my favorite was a seafood platter at the Blue Bayou restaurant overlooking the launch dock for the Pirates of the Caribbean ride.
If anyone runs a poll, put me down for the Monte Cristo and a Mint Julep mocktail. 🏴‍☠️
Sounds good. My treat next time we're at a Disney park together.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

AFRET CMS wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:39 pm
squarekara wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:31 pm
alietr wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:52 am I hope Disney eats their lunch.
Sounds good. My treat next time we're at a Disney park together.
👍
Peachbox
Sports Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Peachbox »

A chicken sandwich and onion rings at the Hungry Bear restaurant for me.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

I've been following this writers' strike thing since the Mayim and Ken angle came up here. I'm feeling uncertain. My initial thought was that the clues had already been written so it was fair to use them. But it kind of doesn't sit well with me that Ken crossed a picket line to deliver those clues. Of course, so did camera operators and gaffers and key grips and such. Unlike Ken, those people are probably just scraping by, so I hate to get on their case, but I do wonder about what the ethics should be during a strike like this. Should KJ have declined to host? Should Johhny Gilbert have declined to announce? Were there judges for those games or are the judges just writers wearing a different hat? Should I decline to watch? Are any of you taking that step?

Is it possible to have a gentle conversation to help me sort out my thoughts, or should this post just be deleted right away?
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:36 pm I've been following this writers' strike thing since the Mayim and Ken angle came up here. I'm feeling uncertain. My initial thought was that the clues had already been written so it was fair to use them. But it kind of doesn't sit well with me that Ken crossed a picket line to deliver those clues. Of course, so did camera operators and gaffers and key grips and such. Unlike Ken, those people are probably just scraping by, so I hate to get on their case, but I do wonder about what the ethics should be during a strike like this. Should KJ have declined to host? Should Johhny Gilbert have declined to announce? Were there judges for those games or are the judges just writers wearing a different hat? Should I decline to watch? Are any of you taking that step?

Is it possible to have a gentle conversation to help me sort out my thoughts, or should this post just be deleted right away?
I 100% think it's possible to have a gentle conversation here regarding this.

For what it's worth: as best as I can tell the WGA is encouraging that viewers not boycott watching shows. (I presume there's worry here that boycotts = lowered ratings = cancellations = no work to return to).

Should Ken have also declined to host? It's certainly quite possible that Ken felt contractually obligated to step in and host. Certainly, many of the other Hollywood unions (except notably the Teamsters) don't have sympathy strike clauses built into to their own collective agreements, so it's possible that Ken was choosing to host in fear of reprisals from Sony Pictures TV. It's also noteworthy that Alex crossed the picket line during the 2007–08 strike.

I presume that any "judges" for those games were very likely producers standing in.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

We can probably assume that when the boards run out, new shows run out. I don't see a reason why new shows should run out before the writing has--writing work that Guild members performed with expectation that their work would be produced and showcased. Jeopardy! going to reruns a few weeks early is not going to substantially improve the WGA's bargaining position. What will? Other guilds going on simultaneous strike. (It looks like the directors won't be joining in on the picketing fun, though.) Suddenly, all TV is either reality TV or library content.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Ken Jennings interview in The New Yorker: https://www.newyorker.com/culture/the-n ... bout-death
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Only tangentially J!-related, but a kids' Wheel is in development, which reportedly "would likely incorporate some twists into the gameplay, including physical and comedic challenges to earn letters or buy vowels."
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:39 pm Only tangentially J!-related, but a kids' Wheel is in development, which reportedly "would likely incorporate some twists into the gameplay, including physical and comedic challenges to earn letters or buy vowels."
*ponders how to incorporate Double Dare challenges into Wheel of Fortune
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Trevor807
Loyal Jeopardista
Location: Fort Worth, Texas (moving back to Bradley, Illinois soon)

Post by Trevor807 »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:39 pm Only tangentially J!-related, but a kids' Wheel is in development, which reportedly "would likely incorporate some twists into the gameplay, including physical and comedic challenges to earn letters or buy vowels."
Let's hope it goes better than last time.
“Take your job seriously, but don't take yourself too seriously.” - Alex Trebek, 1940-2020

Pegasus icon by Siahri!
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Volante wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:00 pm
*ponders how to incorporate Double Dare challenges into Wheel of Fortune
I just read "The Case of the Game Show Mystery (New Adventures of Mary-Kate & Ashley, No. 27)" (Don't judge me.) and the game show is a cross between Double Dare and the Newlywed Game/I'm Telling, with an apparently completely off camera scavenger hunt also thrown in because why not? As a mystery story it's actually not bad, but as a representation of how game shows are produced, it's nonsense.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Former director Clay Jacobsen sues show.
https://theblast.com/499594/former-jeop ... imination/
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

So Buzzy says "maybe everyone's a little sleepy or something." Sponsorship opportunity for Monster drinks?

https://nypost.com/2023/06/16/jeopardy- ... e-episode/
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Washington Post review of Ken's new book (gifted to avoid paywall):

https://wapo.st/3Nkx2ZA
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

In the "When worlds collide" dept., Andy Saunders makes the Post...

https://nypost.com/2023/06/16/jeopardy- ... difficult/
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Ken and Mayim contending separately for Outstanding Host for a Game Show Daytime Emmy nomination
https://variety.com/feature/2023-emmys- ... 235635317/
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

I clicked on a J!-related article on my Google feed, and this little feature was tucked into it:
https://www.tvinsider.com/trebek-affirm ... oundboard/
earendel
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by earendel »

squarekara wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 3:36 pm I clicked on a J!-related article on my Google feed, and this little feature was tucked into it:
https://www.tvinsider.com/trebek-affirm ... oundboard/
That's really nice.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."