J! in the Media

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

ouachiouat
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: J! in the Media

Post by ouachiouat »

Just saw a promo down here in AR for tomorrow's game. The clip looks intriguing--looks like a good match is in store! Retro good luck threearruda!
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

(Article which had essentially already been posted previously has been removed. The horse is dead, we don't need to keep beating it.)
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:54 am (Article which had essentially already been posted previously has been removed. The horse is dead, we don't need to keep beating it.)
But it was on Fox News. To a certain segment of the population, something isn't news until it appears on Fox News.

Remember, Disney only bought Fox entertainment. Fox News is separate.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

floridagator wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:44 am
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:54 am (Article which had essentially already been posted previously has been removed. The horse is dead, we don't need to keep beating it.)
But it was on Fox News. To a certain segment of the population, something isn't news until it appears on Fox News.

Remember, Disney only bought Fox entertainment. Fox News is separate.
And the substance of the news item was discussed on Page 85 and 86, and we moved on to other topics. Again, dead horse.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Jeopardy! has come up in an en banc decision of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th circuit. A fellow named David Sosa was arrested in Florida for a 27-year-old arrest warrant in Texas that was out for an unrelated David Sosa. The local sheriff took three days to run his fingerprints and determine that he was not the wanted man. Sosa sued and the case was dismissed. Sosa appealed and a 3-judge panel of the 11th circuit said Sosa had a valid claim for rights violation. Then the 11th circuit heard the appeal en banc (that means an 11-judge panel reheard the appeal.) The court ruled that Sosa's constitutional rights were not violated.

Judge Rosenbaum writes in his dissent, "Given the thousands of David Sosas in the United States (and especially in light of Sosa’s protests and the differences in identifiers between Sosa and the wanted Sosa), the officers’ chances of getting selected to play Jeopardy! would have been greater than
their chances of having the correct David Sosa in custody."

This is what Rosenbaum writes in a footnote: "According to now-Jeopardy! host Ken Jennings, “it’s 10 times harder to get on ‘Jeopardy!’ than to get into Yale.” See Lottie Elizabeth Johnson, The online ‘Jeopardy!’ test is about to happen and Ken Jennings is here to help you succeed, DESERET NEWS (Apr. 4, 2019),
https://www.deseret.com/2019/4/4/206701 ... seret-news.

You can read it here:
https://media.ca11.uscourts.gov/opinion ... 81.enb.pdf

[Perhaps this doesn't belong in this thread. Is an appeals court a medium? ]
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

threearruda wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:35 pm
Robert K S wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:08 pm A Friday challenger says he's put in the prep:

https://news.yahoo.com/mentally-visuali ... 20638.html
Never heard of him.
Ha! Nice job, Jake!
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

Thearruda,

Media reports about your blog do not match your actual blog, unless something's wrong with my Control+F????

-edit nvm, found the answer on reddit. Way worse than I first thought. :shock: :?
Last edited by cf1140 on Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Article in The Atlantic. Since it is paywalled, I included the text below: Yes You Have to be Smart to Play Jeopardy

Yes, You Have to Be Smart to Play Jeopardy

But it’s a peculiar kind of smart.
By Tom Nichols

A recent Jeopardy contestant lit into the show, claiming that it isn’t really all that good a measure of a player’s intelligence. He’s got a point—but not the one he thinks he’s making.

Passing the Test

A series of viral Facebook posts by a recent Jeopardy contestant named Yogesh Raut have caused something of a minor kerfuffle among watchers of the show. Raut, to put it mildly, is unimpressed by the intellectual level of America’s premier game show. He won three games, but after the episodes began to air, he went online to argue that the show’s status as “the Olympics of quizzing” is undeserved.

This all puts me in a bit of a pickle. I am a former Jeopardy champion (I made it to the 1994 Tournament of Champions and the 2005 Ultimate Tournament of Champions) who no longer likes the show very much. I wrote a year ago that Jeopardy has made some serious mistakes—chief among them ending the rule that winners step down after five victories—and should probably wrap up its legendary run. But Raut is wrong about what it takes to play Jeopardy.

So though I think the show should be retired, let me suggest to you three ways in which Jeopardy really is a test of your brainpower.

1. You need to be well-read, not well-educated.

The one place where I think I can agree with Raut and other critics of the game is that you do not need a lot of formal education or deep knowledge of any particular area to succeed at Jeopardy. After all, one of the greatest players of all time was a New York City cop. I have three graduate degrees, including a doctorate, and I got smoked by a librarian in my first tournament. (Some players theorize, in fact, that knowing too much about a subject can paralyze you; I have seen doctors and lawyers fumble questions in their area of expertise.)

You don’t need a Ph.D., but to do well at the game, you should be a voracious reader, which is how most people gain (and, more importantly, retain) facts and knowledge. My mom and I would watch the old daytime 1960s version on school snow days or when I was home sick, and she was a pretty sharp player—with a ninth-grade education. But my mom and dad were both readers; our house was full of books and magazines and newspapers.

Indeed, in my experience, people who approach Jeopardy as a test of formal smarts can really stink at playing the game. At my 1993 tryout in a big hotel in Burlington, Vermont, about 160 people walked in, as I recall, and about 15 of us walked out. The people who showed up with almanacs and atlases and fact books, the serious people whose eyes glared and nostrils flared at anyone who talked to them while they did some last-minute boning up … well, they all got turfed instantly. The rest of us had a grand old time, got our I passed the Jeopardy test! buttons, and went home to wait for a call from Los Angeles.

Now, I will grant you that getting things right does not mean you know a lot about the subject; it only means you successfully associated a clue with a fact. In one of my games, I was behind, and so I went for some high-money clues in “The Violin.” I was a young professor in security studies, so this did not seem like a natural choice. My then-wife was in the audience, and she turned to a friend in panic: “What’s he doing?! He doesn’t know anything about violins! Did he think it said Violence?”

And yet, I’d learned in my high-school stage band what pizzicato meant, a lucky break that helped me rack up some cash. That’s how you play the game.

2. You need to understand clues and riddles.

Jeopardy isn’t only about knowing stuff. You need to have a particular kind of intelligence to play the game, an agile mind that can not only recall factoids but also parse the game’s sneaky way of asking you for information.

One of Jeopardy’s favorite tricks is to firehose the player with a lot of extraneous and irrelevant detail while putting the answer right in front of you. I am making this up as an example, but a typical snare would be something like this: “A giant ruby was given to the Black Prince by Pedro the Cruel in 1367 and sits near a river of stinky and cold water known for its unusually shallow depth of 20 meters in this British capital.”

If you’re a nerd who overthinks everything and wants to show off your smarts, you’re standing there trying to unravel who the hell Pedro the Cruel was and which river is shallow and …

If you’re a Jeopardy player, your brain filtered out everything except “this British capital,” and you buzzed in and said “What is London?” while Brainiac over there was still trying to figure out who was in charge of what in the 14th century. You might not think that’s a form of intelligence, but when two other people are slamming away at their clickers and you’ve got a fraction of a second to recognize the real answer, your mental hard drive better be solid-state and super fast.

3. You need to combine intelligence with presence of mind—and never panic.

Raut is upset that the producers choose people who are telegenic. Having watched the show for many years, I think that’s nonsense; there are plenty of contestants who are not, shall we say, camera-friendly. What the producers do guard against, I learned, are people who freeze in front of a camera. (In Jeopardy lore, this is called “going Bambi,” like a deer caught in the headlights.)

Good Jeopardy players never let anything get inside their head, and the best of them pay almost no attention to the other players or even to the host: They read the question and decide whether to buzz in. I disliked super-champ James Holzhauer for many reasons, but his background as a Vegas odds guy meant he played the game with ice-cold ease, and that matters—a lot.

Full disclosure: My first Jeopardy run ended when I made all of these mistakes at once. At the end of the first game of the 1994 Tournament of Champions, the clue was “The last king of the Hellenes, he was the second to bear this name.”

Piece of cake. I’m part Greek, spent summers with my grandmother in Greece. Had a lot of drachmas in my pocket with the former king’s name on it: Constantine II.

And then panic and doubt crept in as the Final Jeopardy theme began its death-clock countdown. King of the Hellenes? Did they mean the ancient Greek empire? The Athenian alliance at Delos, the one defeated by … no, wait, I think that was a democracy, but … it’s Alexander, maybe? Were there two?

We all went for the Alexander bait, and we all lost. But my opponent made a smaller and smarter bet than I did, and that was that.

Look, I think Jeopardy has become too professionalized and too soulless. It’s lost the charm that made it an American institution, and frankly, I don’t much care for Ken Jennings or Mayim Bialik as hosts. (The show should have closed out its run when Alex Trebek died.) But make no mistake: People who win at Jeopardy are, in fact, as smart as they look.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Article about our latest boardie champ.

https://www.tvinsider.com/1079267/jeopa ... tid=Zxz2cZ
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:09 pm Article about our latest boardie champ.

Disingenuous to say the least. This is cribbed straight from threearruda's blog. Jake, did they even ask permission?

Alietr, thanks for posting that article - it reminded me all over again why I dislike Tom Nichols (he of the "Indian food is terrible" opinion).
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

CailinGaoilge wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:56 pm

Disingenuous to say the least. This is cribbed straight from threearruda's blog. Jake, did they even ask permission?

Alietr, thanks for posting that article - it reminded me all over again why I dislike Tom Nichols (he of the "Indian food is terrible" opinion).
I haven’t read his blog yet so I was unaware this was a cut and paste job. Apologies to Jake.

Tom sounds like an old man yelling at a cloud. I see his point about the five day rule but they aren’t bringing that back. And canceling the show when Alex died? Crazy to even mention that. Alex was the face of the show but he was just one (very important) cog in the wheel. And I’m not a fan of firing a bunch of people for no reason.

Never eaten Indian food but I suspect it would not like me no matter how much I enjoyed it.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:39 pm Tom sounds like an old man yelling at a cloud. I see his point about the five day rule but they aren’t bringing that back. And canceling the show when Alex died? Crazy to even mention that. Alex was the face of the show but he was just one (very important) cog in the wheel. And I’m not a fan of firing a bunch of people for no reason.
When Alex announced his diagnosis, I did wonder whether it might be better to wrap things up in a dignified manner with a grand finale. But in a weird way that wouldn't have been honoring to Alex, who always maintained the show wasn't about him (and backed that up with the way he ran the show). During the labor pains of bringing forth a new host, I did worry that Jeopardy! was headed toward a slow painful death by attrition and mismanagement. Those worries intensified with the announcement of Mike "Lady Jane" Richards as the new host. But now that things have been sorted out and Ken is doing such an incredibly good job, I'm happy to think that the show will probably outlive me. Maybe Ken as well. There's something comforting and cheery about that.
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:39 pm

I haven’t read his blog yet so I was unaware this was a cut and paste job. Apologies to Jake.

Tom sounds like an old man yelling at a cloud. I see his point about the five day rule but they aren’t bringing that back. And canceling the show when Alex died? Crazy to even mention that. Alex was the face of the show but he was just one (very important) cog in the wheel. And I’m not a fan of firing a bunch of people for no reason.

Never eaten Indian food but I suspect it would not like me no matter how much I enjoyed it.

Just in case there was any misunderstanding, the "disingenuous" comment was aimed squarely at the cribbing website 😀
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

CailinGaoilge wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:57 pm
Bamaman wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:39 pm

Just in case there was any misunderstanding, the "disingenuous" comment was aimed squarely at the cribbing website 😀
I understood that completely, no offense taken.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

One of the plotlines of the most recent NCIS ("Big Rig") is that McGee was going to be a contestant on a quiz show called "Smart Alecks". The allusions to Jeopardy were very strong. He ended up getting cancelled when the current champion was found to be cheating and they put a hold on production.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

KETV Omaha: Ken Jennings to headline this year's Nebraska Science Festival.
https://www.ketv.com/article/omaha-ken- ... l/42745937
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

squarekara wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:57 am KETV Omaha: Ken Jennings to headline this year's Nebraska Science Festival.
Somewhere in Middle America.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:28 pm
squarekara wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:57 am KETV Omaha: Ken Jennings to headline this year's Nebraska Science Festival.
Somewhere in Middle America.
I just read the post about Mayim's quip. :lol:
Seriously, though, if anyone plans to attend this, check further west along the Platte River for the Sandhill Crane migration. The ultimate nerdly spring break!
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Old but fun to read. Nice photos of the set when it was done differently.
https://www.popularmechanics.com/cultur ... ant-rules/
RetiredDoc

Post by RetiredDoc »