J! in the Media

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: J! in the Media

Post by morbeedo »

Emma Stone says she's trying to get on regular Jeopardy! and takes the Anytime Test every June!

https://variety.com/2024/film/awards/em ... 235868267/
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:55 pm I'm with Rosie

https://www.newsweek.com/jeopardy-rosie ... ow-1863465
And with Alex!

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

Cancellation?? I'm against calling something like this "news," even more when attached to a venerable name like Newsweek... :x
davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:49 pm

And with Alex!

3 seconds...calling it by the proper name...about right.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

davey wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:50 pm

Cancellation?? I'm against calling something like this "news," even more when attached to a venerable name like Newsweek... :x
Where were these complaints when MNF was going on? Double standards much, Rosie?!

I also can't wait for the followup piece during the NBA finals. *starts holding breath*
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
mfc248

Post by mfc248 »

Volante wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:55 pm

Where were these complaints when MNF was going on? Double standards much, Rosie?!

I also can't wait for the followup piece during the NBA finals. *starts holding breath*
You won't have to hold your breath nearly that long; indeed, not even to the NFL Draft in April. ABC has Suns at Nets this coming Wednesday night, same tipoff time (8:30 pm Eastern) as that Mavericks at Lakers game.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

mfc248 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:39 pm
Volante wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:55 pm

You won't have to hold your breath nearly that long; indeed, not even to the NFL Draft in April. ABC has Suns at Nets this coming Wednesday night, same tipoff time (8:30 pm Eastern) as that Mavericks at Lakers game.
Well, yes, ABC has been airing NBA games all January on Wedn. I'm combining all those games into this one complaint.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
colonial
Contributor

Post by colonial »

The Museum of Classic Chicago Television YT page just posted Barbara Lowe's 5th game -- complete broadcast from WLS-TV.
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

colonial wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:27 pm
The Museum of Classic Chicago Television YT page just posted Barbara Lowe's 5th game -- complete broadcast from WLS-TV.
Thanks for posting this.

Alright she was more like a feminine version of Austin Rogers "extra," but she didn't sass Alex and she wasn't combative.
Trevor807
Loyal Jeopardista
Location: Fort Worth, Texas (moving back to Bradley, Illinois soon)

Post by Trevor807 »

I will say this: any Barbara Lowe episode is among the Jeopardy! holy grails. I'd love to eventually see the rest of the week turn up.

The production's description of Lowe appears to have been grossly overblown given the picture this episode paints of her.
“Take your job seriously, but don't take yourself too seriously.” - Alex Trebek, 1940-2020

Pegasus icon by Siahri!
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

cf1140 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:55 pm she didn't sass Alex and she wasn't combative.
This game also didn't have the Leopold and "Leeb" incident.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Mark didn't phrase Time $1000, but it was never acknowledged and he was never penalized for it.

Presidents $200 & $800 aged well.
Douglas Squasoni
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Her reactions at the end aside, I didn’t have a problem with her here. Maybe the other four games will find their way to the public so we can see the rest of her run.
DCFan1911
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by DCFan1911 »

colonial wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:27 pm

Finally! Thank you for letting us know. I can see that her demeanor and mannerisms are much different from the more reserved behavior typical of most contestants at that time. It's definitely possible this played into the disdain the producers expressed towards her. I'd also guess that a lot of what they were unhappy about was edited out of the broadcasts, so it might not be visible to us from watching the episode(s).
RetiredDoc

Post by RetiredDoc »

AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

RetiredDoc wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:13 pm Presented without comment:

https://slate.com/culture/2024/02/jeopa ... pions.html
I knew this was going to be a hit piece to the point that I refused an interview for it.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

I thought the vast majority of that article was, to put it in industry terms, dead on balls accurate.

But, it is certainly within one's rights to pass on an interview where you don't agree with the premise.

What I will find interesting is that once regular games start, if the average number of posts in the game threads goes up, down, or remains the same. It just seems to me that posts so far this season are way down although I've not pulled the numbers to check.
Trevor807
Loyal Jeopardista
Location: Fort Worth, Texas (moving back to Bradley, Illinois soon)

Post by Trevor807 »

My takeaways:
Michael Davies, Jeopardy! producer and someone who has made clear his aspirations to transform the game show into something akin to America’s fifth major sport, wanted to avoid a scenario where new contestants were competing with old material.
Funny, that didn't stop Harry Friedman from holding regular play during the 2007-08 strike.
Davies clearly loves Jeopardy!, but I sincerely hope he does not learn the wrong lessons from this unholy gantlet he’s put in front of us. Perhaps they need some new eyes elsewhere on the Sony lot, on Wheel of Fortune? Now that’s a show in need of a fresh coat of paint.
Nothing says "Davies clearly loves Jeopardy!" like making far too many changes to the show's fabric. And of course he's going to learn the wrong lessons, provided he learns any, that is; he had 20+ years to learn from his mistakes on Millionaire and learned bupkus. (I'm not Jewish, for the record. I just like that word.) I still maintain that he'd manage to find a way to screw up Wheel, if his overall track record is any indication. Bellamie Blackstone would've been more competent at running Jeopardy! than Davies, though; my preference is still a Jeopardy! vet like Jimmy, Sarah or Ken, all of whom understand the show.

All in all, I agree with Golf that this article is mostly dead-on. I disagree with Andy about the article being a "hit piece"; I simply find it an assessment on the seemingly endless tourneys taking up most of a milestone season (I still can't believe they didn't do anything to celebrate it. Season 35 had an intro referencing the show's history plus a "35" next to the set and the All-Star Games).

I still can't see how the Davies postseason is, in any way, beneficial for the show. In my eyes, seeing new contestants winning and potentially going on long runs makes for better television.
“Take your job seriously, but don't take yourself too seriously.” - Alex Trebek, 1940-2020

Pegasus icon by Siahri!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The group shot has 26 players with the 27th who qualified on yesterday's show not included. Today's email from J! with the photo shows the 27th to the right of Ike.