J! in the Media

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: J! in the Media

Post by Bamaman »

Golf wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:30 pm I thought the vast majority of that article was, to put it in industry terms, dead on balls accurate.

But, it is certainly within one's rights to pass on an interview where you don't agree with the premise.

What I will find interesting is that once regular games start, if the average number of posts in the game threads goes up, down, or remains the same. It just seems to me that posts so far this season are way down although I've not pulled the numbers to check.
I have noticed the average post count has seemed to have been down this season.

Not everyone does social media. If I didn’t and only watched the show I would have no idea what the second chance or wild card tournaments are all about. I can imagine it confusing people why these players are coming back. I really don’t remember any of them.

How far back are they going for this Jeopardy Invitational Tournament? Has the field/format been mentioned?

I didn’t see this as a hit piece, just telling it like it is.
Trevor807
Loyal Jeopardista
Location: Fort Worth, Texas (moving back to Bradley, Illinois soon)

Post by Trevor807 »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:36 pm I didn’t see this as a hit piece, just telling it like it is.
Thank you for putting my stance on Andy's assessment in better words than I did.
“Take your job seriously, but don't take yourself too seriously.” - Alex Trebek, 1940-2020

Pegasus icon by Siahri!
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I generally like Luke's writing, but I think Luke has confused the words "interminable" and "indeterminable".
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

At least there are no personal attacks.
I keep my eye on the answers and questions, barely pay attention to who wins, and keep fairly content. Well, except for restlessness over the "Remember what happened the last time you were here??" interviews, and the fact that my FJ get rate has been falling (since new clues?)
But why an underbaked Madame Bovary category? I'd love a Madame Bovary category... :)
mfc248

Post by mfc248 »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:47 pm I generally like Luke's writing, but I think Luke has confused the words "interminable" and "indeterminable".
There's also a numerical issue:
Luke Winkie wrote:last week, Jeopardy! officially entered its fifth consecutive month of tournament play
Actually, it's the sixth. (Emphasis in original above.)
davey

Post by davey »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:47 pm I generally like Luke's writing, but I think Luke has confused the words "interminable" and "indeterminable".
OR, he thinks it's impossible to tell at any time which tournament we're in...Could even be meant as wordplay...OR, it's a typo...
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

It's certainly not a positive piece, but I can't say I disagree with anything in it. We are definitely experiencing tournament fatigue in our house. It's like baseball without a regular season and an endless post-season.

As for fewer posts, I'm assuming that that's the Reddit effect, unfortunately.
Trevor807
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Trevor807 »

alietr wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:34 am It's like baseball without a regular season and an endless post-season.
If only someone could make that analogy to Davies, seeing as he's trying to make the show a sport.
“Take your job seriously, but don't take yourself too seriously.” - Alex Trebek, 1940-2020

Pegasus icon by Siahri!
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

This is just a repeat of what was noted on the podcast. There was an audio review at 1:47 PM on the Friday, Feb. 9th ToC taping. That's late in the tournament, no?

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/jeopard ... 00193.html
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Robert K S wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:32 am This is just a repeat of what was noted on the podcast. There was an audio review at 1:47 PM on the Friday, Feb. 9th ToC taping. That's late in the tournament, no?

Wait, the earthquake was actually filmed and it is going to air?!?! :o
Douglas Squasoni
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:24 pm
Robert K S wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:32 am This is just a repeat of what was noted on the podcast. There was an audio review at 1:47 PM on the Friday, Feb. 9th ToC taping. That's late in the tournament, no?

It sounds like the earthquake happened mid-taping, but during a stoppage (for the aforementioned audio review).
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:48 pm
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:24 pm

It sounds like the earthquake happened mid-taping, but during a stoppage (for the aforementioned audio review).
At this point it would seem like the earthquake remarks are flirting with spoilers. The 9th was tape day #4 for the ToC. Day 3 would have been semis followed by F1 & F2.

Day 4 would have begun with F3. By 1:47 it's been made clear that J! staff is on hand. Players, audience? Not sure. Other J! staff? Yes.

Was the audio review with a game in progress? Is that a go-to-the-booth typical thing or normally handled as the judges' table? Lunch break? Taping done for the day? It would be best if nothing is said on Monday's podcast as it seems too possible to reveal a 3-0 shutout or a 5-game minimum.

A 1-1-0 after F2 would be best to not have anything tipped with the earthquake story revealed to listeners.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:36 pm I have noticed the average post count has seemed to have been down this season.
My anecdata…my J! watching is down about 95% because I care not a whit for the endless tournaments. I think TPTB should have found a different way to deal with the writers’ strike, such as continuing regular play with old clues. I’ll (probably… :o) go back to watching after the regular season resumes.
Trevor807
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Trevor807 »

cthulhu wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:51 pm I think TPTB should have found a different way to deal with the writers’ strike, such as continuing regular play with old clues.
Harry Friedman did that in season 24 and it worked out fine. Also, Andy pointed out on his blog that shooting for the following season started in April of 2004 and 2017 in advance of potential strikes (no strike happened in either year, of course). Davies should've tried that route if he insisted on the postseason format.

I can't buy his reasoning for extending his postseason concept as "we couldn't let new contestants play with old clues" when we take this into account. It also goes against his desire to make the show more of a sport. When it comes to commissioners, I tend to see Davies as more of a Rob Manfred type than an Adam Silver type. Given Davies is a sports fan who co-hosts a sports podcast, this is inexcusable.

Pegasus icon by Siahri!
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Cracked's little piece on Ike's Cinderella run
https://www.cracked.com/article_41354_d ... ament.html
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
DCFan1911
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by DCFan1911 »

Trevor807 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:42 am
cthulhu wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:51 pm I think TPTB should have found a different way to deal with the writers’ strike, such as continuing regular play with old clues.
Harry Friedman did that in season 24 and it worked out fine. Also, Andy pointed out on his blog that shooting for the following season started in April of 2004 and 2017 in advance of potential strikes (no strike happened in either year, of course). Davies should've tried that route if he insisted on the postseason format.

I can't buy his reasoning for extending his postseason concept as "we couldn't let new contestants play with old clues" when we take this into account. It also goes against his desire to make the show more of a sport. When it comes to commissioners, I tend to see Davies as more of a Rob Manfred type than an Adam Silver type. Given Davies is a sports fan who co-hosts a sports podcast, this is inexcusable.
Part of me wonders if there is a hidden motive at work here - money. The flood of recent superchamps strained the show's budget in a way producers had not often had to deal with in previous seasons. Holding a large number of tournaments over the course of months could have been seen as a way to guarantee the show would stay in the black, since the amount given away is predetermined. The SCTs are especially big money-savers, since they give away just $80,000 over the course of a week (including consolation prizes) - an average of just $16,000 per show, well below what their average weekly expenditure would come to when you include the second and third place consolation prizes. Either way, it saves producers and the studio the headache of covering overages, and that may be as much a motive for the tournaments as any desire from Davies to make J a sport...
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

DCFan1911 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:43 pm Part of me wonders if there is a hidden motive at work here - money. The flood of recent superchamps strained the show's budget in a way producers had not often had to deal with in previous seasons. Holding a large number of tournaments over the course of months could have been seen as a way to guarantee the show would stay in the black, since the amount given away is predetermined. The SCTs are especially big money-savers, since they give away just $80,000 over the course of a week (including consolation prizes) - an average of just $16,000 per show, well below what their average weekly expenditure would come to when you include the second and third place consolation prizes. Either way, it saves producers and the studio the headache of covering overages, and that may be as much a motive for the tournaments as any desire from Davies to make J a sport...
Interesting take on possibly saving money, but I'm wondering what difference multiple superchamps makes. There's going to be a champion every show no matter what, so unless there's another James Holzhauer, I wasn't thinking a superchamp made that much more, if any, than a standard winner per game.

Another thing to consider is if TPTB were trying to save money, why would they have upped the consolation prizes by $2k per show?

Quick stat, the average winning score in S39 was $2900 lower than in S38.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

A long time ago, I did a back-of-the-envelope calculation of how much of the show's revenue went to the prize money. IIRC, it was minimal -- something like 5-10%. Plus I agree with Golf; absent a Holzhauer, they're going to be giving away more or less the same amount each day. There's a distribution of the amounts, but I'm guessing the median stays pretty constant.
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

DCFan1911 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:43 pm
Part of me wonders if there is a hidden motive at work here - money.
You are ignoring that J! pays for the travel costs of tournament contestants.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

It's more "cost certainty" than "budget reduction".

It's a lot easier to be certain of your prize budget for a season when you run more tournaments that have a fixed prize structure.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan