Wednesday, July 29, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, econgator, dhkendall, trainman

Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Wednesday, July 29, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Budphrey »

alamble wrote:
Budphrey wrote:... so in effect it is now a clue without a correct response.
No, it's not, because it was asking for the team he started the season with. If he'd been on the DL when the season opened, that would have been cause for debate, perhaps.
Kudos. I stand clarified.
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.
pdano
Valued Contributor

Post by pdano »

Pretty sure this is tied with mine for the lowest winning score, post-doubling. It's unfortunate (for other than the obvious reason): the second-lowest score, to my knowledge, was $255 from my law school classmate Murtaza about three weeks after me.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Not much to add about the wagering.

I knew they wanted the author of The Thorn Birds, but I couldn't think of her name. Not sure if that's worth a poll question or not.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

xxaaaxx wrote:
nserven wrote: I’m missing the connection to FJ. Regardless, it’s fun to hear that T’Variusness King went to my alma mater, where we didn’t even get a football team until my junior year.
Key and Peele came up with the sketch when they heard the name of Jets LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson, who was named after a character in The Thorn Birds.
Thanks for the explanation, because I didn't get the connection either. I thought the OP was talking about last Thursday's FJ,
Spoiler
in which the correct response was BYU.
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

Oh, one more cheap shot: "Belize" is pronounced with a voiced "z" at the end (I even checked with the country's official website), even though Alex insists on imposing a Spanish unvoiced one on it. Well, maybe the Spanish-speaking population says "Belees," but it was a Britlish colony and speakers of English and English-based creole are the majority.
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Jonathan likes to lowball his DD wagers and then bet the farm. It's tough to make that work out twice in a row.

Jennifer is probably a little younger than the range I pegged her for as I thought she had a chance to solve the FJ! clue correctly. I was all but certain it would be an 0-fer for the guys.

I've seen zero minutes of the miniseries, but Rachel Ward & Richard Chamberlain was a big deal at the time it aired. If I want to watch Rachel Ward then I'll go for a fun guilty pleasure of Fortress.

I had a different problem than others who knew the work and not the author. My debate was the spelling as I had to figure out McCullough over McCollough. Who's tomorrow going to be? Nietzsche? The writers need to make things easier to write. Colleen I can handle.

I don't know why, but I processed WOMEN AUTHORS as 20th c., so I did not expect anyone in the Rowling/Collins area or the Bronte/Austen area. Harper Lee is coming although that will have to wait until S32.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

9021amyers wrote:
squizzle wrote: On a non-FJ! note, judges ruling: would "boobish" be accepted for the clue whose answer was "gullible"? The blue-footed booby is a marine bird and boobish means at least something along the lines of what the clue asked (I think, I don't remember the wording).
From Merriam-Webster: "boob (n.) 1: a stupid, awkward person; simpleton. 2: boor; philistine."

I see nothing about being easily swayed by others in that definition.
Besides the fact boob is not an animal, and booby is not in 'boobish'. Besides the fact who the hell ever says boobish?
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

Woppy T wrote:
DBear wrote:LoLed at the Troy Tulowitzki clue for the Rockies, when he was just traded to the Blue Jays two days ago.
You could've spotted me the Thorn Birds and I still wouldn't have come up with the author. Woulda bet it all on the Belize DD, tho.
It was yesterday, but yeah.

And what was wrong with the "coolant" response instead of antifreeze?
Thought same for a second, but think the function of the substance in question is avoiding freezing and definitely not cooling.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

countyguy wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:This is now the third Jennifer Morgan to have appeared on the show. She is the only Jennifer Morgan to have had a shot at winning going into FJ. (The first, who was in my A.P. English class back in ought-eighty-two and eighty-three, came up against a buzz saw who put together a decisive runaway. The second was in the red when the buzzer sounded.) She threw it all away just to make me look ridiculous. And a penguin in my position can't afford to be made to look ridiculous. Well, ok, I can. But still....
When I saw "Season 20" (from the Archive link) and your description of "buzz saw" for the champion of the first Ms. Morgan's game, I had a guess about who the champion was in that game. I thought that I was probably right, but I was wrong. :o
Ha! That didn't even occur to me. She missed him by that --> <-- much. Six degrees of separation. Ken beat the guy that beat the gal that beat the guy that beat the guy that beat the gal that beat the guy that beat her.
ÕώÕ
Contributor

Post by ÕώÕ »

pdano wrote:Pretty sure this is tied with mine for the lowest winning score, post-doubling. It's unfortunate (for other than the obvious reason): the second-lowest score, to my knowledge, was $255 from my law school classmate Murtaza about three weeks after me.
So you know Murtaza? Cool.

Nice to see you on the board again pdano.
ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ
brick
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by brick »

opusthepenguin wrote: Ha! That didn't even occur to me. She missed him by that --> <-- much. Six degrees of separation. Ken beat the guy that beat the gal that beat the guy that beat the guy that beat the gal that beat the guy that beat her.
. . . that danced with the Prince of Wales!
J.S. Pepys
Contributor

Post by J.S. Pepys »

I knew FJ was asking for the author of The Thorn Birds, and I was pretty certain her first name was Colleen, but I was only able to come up with McCullough just before time ran out, and I wasn't sure about it. I should've been more certain about her name, as I remember hearing multiple NPR pieces and a lot of other news coverage on her passing. I also remembered the controversy over the gross Australian obituary that described her as "plain of feature, and certainly overweight."
patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav »

'Nuff said about the wagering.

YET AGAIN with the "Women Authors" trope. Because, you know, men are understood to be the default when it comes to authors. :roll:
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote:I had a different problem than others who knew the work and not the author. My debate was the spelling as I had to figure out McCullough over McCollough. Who's tomorrow going to be? Nietzsche?
Or Khrushchev. Friday will be Kyrgyzstan.
Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Winchell Factor »

You can't request one more chorus of the Think Music, can you? Because just an extra 4 measures would have given me enough time to come up with this FJ.

Yeah, I was afraid of that.
ÕώÕ
Contributor

Post by ÕώÕ »

:shock:

As to quote the angry video game nerd:

WHAT WERE THEY THINKING!!!!!!
ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

patkav wrote:'Nuff said about the wagering.

YET AGAIN with the "Women Authors" trope. Because, you know, men are understood to be the default when it comes to authors. :roll:
Reminds me of someone I used to know who complained about "Lady Foot Locker" vs. just "Foot Locker", as if implying the former were an afterthought.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Linear Gnome wrote:I knew they wanted the author of The Thorn Birds, but I couldn't think of her name. Not sure if that's worth a poll question or not.
Ditto for me, so I think it's worthy. Given Colleen McCullough I could have told you she wrote "The Thorn Birds" but I couldn't go the other direction. I guessed Nadine Gordimer even though I knew she was South African. She did die last year, so maybe that's why she came to mind.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Did anyone notice that the “re-recorded” disclaimer was different today? It said “Some of Alex’s audio was re-recorded when his voice recovered.”
No, I did not have the chance to notice it. (This is not a complaint. This is so rare in Los Angeles that I always picture someone at the station having to blow the dust off an instruction manual when they need to do one of these.)

opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
patkav wrote:'Nuff said about the wagering.

Reminds me of someone I used to know who complained about "Lady Foot Locker" vs. just "Foot Locker", as if implying the former were an afterthought.
That's a valid point, but it does make me wonder what to call the male version. "Gentleman Foot Locker"? "Lord Foot Locker"?