Capital One College Bowl

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Re: Capital One College Bowl

Post by cf1140 »

Season 2 of this show >>>>>>>>>>>>> Season 39 of J!
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

The QFs have a new round called Handoff.

BYU was given something old for the wedding tradition items and one member at a time had to name one item missing from the list and then hand it off to the next team member.
Something blue for 20 points.
Something new for 20 points.
Something white? Nope.
A miss is not rebounded to the other side.

Peyton: Coop?
Cooper: Something about Mary. :lol:
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

People Puzzler and College Bowl were sending each other vibes tonight. Bossa Nova and "Rhythm Is Gonna Get You" show up on both shows.
Douglas Squasoni
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

The show needs to do something about Team Captains "jumping" the clues in the two-minute drill. Answering before knowing what Peyton was even asking for.

I am quite peeved at bracket for the QFs. Washington did very well in the prelims but then they face overall favorites Columbia in the QFs? Meanwhile UC Santa Barbara was just meh in the prelims and then they get Spellman in the QFs?

But still, why is this better than J!:

Less pop culture and almost no wordplay.

Questions come faster so DVR users can get thru the worthwhile parts faster.

The clue-writing on J has really gone downhill since Friedman (who is College Bowl's showrunner) left.

Luck much less of a factor. You can't get lucky and hit a DD then rely on the leader missing a screwball FJ to win like what happens on J!. I can't think of an example this season where the team leading going into the two-minute drill didn't end up winning.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

cf1140 wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:14 pm The show needs to do something about Team Captains "jumping" the clues in the two-minute drill. Answering before knowing what Peyton was even asking for.
Why?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Question tonight was basically, "Name 3 South American Capital cities beginning with the letter 'B'".

Student 1: Bolivia
Student 2: Brazil
Student 3: Uruguay
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

econgator wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:16 pm Question tonight was basically, "Name 3 South American Capital cities beginning with the letter 'B'".

Student 1: Bolivia
Student 2: Brazil
Student 3: Uruguay
Yeah, they were lucky to get away with triple RTFQ.

Columbia & Washington meeting in the QFs was too early.

The thing that made me laugh the most was the 3 highest Roman numerals and Cooper saying the answers looked like his report card.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Walmart more profitable than Google?

Buffalo Wild Wings is the name of a restaurant chain?
Douglas Squasoni
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:31 am Walmart more profitable than Google?

Buffalo Wild Wings is the name of a restaurant chain?
Yes and yes
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The 10/21 ep. was action-packed with 3 matches & 6 teams in the hour. 12 minutes of 2-minute drills was a lot of rapid fire trivia.

Next week on the 28th will be two hours with the semis & finals to conclude the season.
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

I know they have unneven teams so they have to do something, but the blitz round is stupid. putting WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much emphasis on the 2 Minute Drill.

i wasnt expecting only 1 episode left. i was expecting 2 1 hors semifinals and a 1 hour final.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I've caught up after being behind on the episodes all season. I'm a little confused on the structure, usually the semifinals would come after the quarterfinals. But this tournament has quarterfinals, then a blitz round, then the semifinals? Ok sure.

The trivia content is pretty good but I wouldn't be able to watch this without a DVR. There's a lot of filler material that needs to be skipped.

Are the contestants able to read any of the clues? A few times it looks like they've had a chance to read the clue but most of the time it looks like they're only listening to the clue and that makes it a lot easier for the audience at home compared to the contestants. The teams in the semi-finals all seem to know their stuff and are making the show look good. Some of the earlier rounds were not so competitive.

Peyton Manning has been everywhere lately. But I haven't seen Shaq as much. I wonder if they swapped agents.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.