New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by Robert K S »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:27 pm Courtesy of the National Archives of Game Show History I added 3/19/86: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7661
For the Final, almost twice as much time has now elapsed from the election in question than when the clue was presented, and I'm not sure the difficulty of the clue is any different. None of the players were likely to have remembered the FDR campaigns or the relative electoral vote counts of FDR's Republican competitors. I would've put Hoover just to have something down, and I wasn't even 100% sure Hoover was the R nominee.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:05 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:27 pm Courtesy of the National Archives of Game Show History I added 3/19/86: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7661
For the Final, almost twice as much time has now elapsed from the election in question than when the clue was presented, and I'm not sure the difficulty of the clue is any different. None of the players were likely to have remembered the FDR campaigns or the relative electoral vote counts of FDR's Republican competitors. I would've put Hoover just to have something down, and I wasn't even 100% sure Hoover was the R nominee.
I remember this game. I got FJ then and now. I was 18 when this aired. But I’m a presidential trivia nerd and I wouldn’t expect most people to know he ran in 1948.

Hoover 59
Landon 8
Willkie 82
Dewey 99
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:16 am
Robert K S wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:05 am
I remember this game. I got FJ then and now. I was 18 when this aired. But I’m a presidential trivia nerd and I wouldn’t expect most people to know he ran in 1948.

Hoover 59
Landon 8
Willkie 82
Dewey 99
I'd bet more people would know Dewey ran in '48 compared to '44
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Sorry, meant to type 1944.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Courtesy of the National Archives of Game Show History I added 4/30/90: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7663

Player pics of Jay Haas, Paula Massengale and Bruce Harris:
Spoiler
What is Bruce's occupation? Archivists have three of four games and the intro is missing on all of them. Bruce had kind of a stern authoritarian manner to playing like he's a cop, but that outfit seemed like something different. No way he's a teacher (or certainly hope not) or doctor. Bruce seemed to like the serious academic stuff while Paula lived for the fun stuff.

Fun game of contrasts while no one could solve the FJ! clue.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:49 pm Courtesy of the National Archives of Game Show History I added 4/30/90: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7663
It looks like we welcome the films
Spoiler
Seance on a Wet Afternoon; How to Murder Your Wife; Oh Dad, Poor Dad, Mama's Hung You in the Closet and I'm Feelin' So Sad; and How to Stuff a Wild Bikini
to the J-Canon as titles. The $500 clue's film already had 1 hit in the Archive, but it looks like it was added to the Archive only around 2020. I was really hoping for the clean sweep.

Did the $100 clue actually include the accent mark? Or alternately,

Did the $100 clue actually include the accent, Mark?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:06 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:49 pm Courtesy of the National Archives of Game Show History I added 4/30/90: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7663
It looks like we welcome the films
Spoiler
Seance on a Wet Afternoon; How to Murder Your Wife; Oh Dad, Poor Dad, Mama's Hung You in the Closet and I'm Feelin' So Sad; and How to Stuff a Wild Bikini
to the J-Canon as titles. The $500 clue's film already had 1 hit in the Archive, but it looks like it was added to the Archive only around 2020. I was really hoping for the clean sweep.

Did the $100 clue actually include the accent mark? Or alternately,

Did the $100 clue actually include the accent, Mark?
The writers caught a break that Paula was there or it may not have gone as well. I knew you would like those titles and did not want to tip off they were there. Yes, seance with the accent. And more on J27 to make me think a writer was showing the skill to know how to do it or it was a new toy released for the clue display.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

No surprise, a 0/5 for me in that movie title category.
Douglas Squasoni
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:56 pm No surprise, a 0/5 for me in that movie title category.
I had $200, $400, and $500, and I'd heard of $300 before, but didn't know it exactly. $100 was new to me. Personally, I'd say they were valued exactly in reverse of what I knew.

For $100, imdb's listing, the trailer viewable there, and the picture of the poster do not have the accent mark. Various editions of the novel do, however. Not worthy of a notation, I'd say.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:56 pm No surprise, a 0/5 for me in that movie title category.
Well, that meant I had to try it. 3/5. Wasn't familiar at all with the top row film. And for the middle clue I got "I'm so sad" but I just wasn't "feelin'" it.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Courtesy of the National Archives of Game Show History I added 9/17/87: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7665

Player pics of Joanne Campbell, Alan Waldman and Tom Bendycki:
Spoiler
29R, nice buzzing.

Any day I do a current game and an old game there will be some kind of overlap materials with similarity between the two games. Today's coincidence was really well-timed.

Too bad for Joanne there was no SCC back then.

The backlog for archivists may be under 400 now?
jlgarfield

Post by jlgarfield »

That barge category would not be familiar with today's viewers. It was a big deal then.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

jlgarfield wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:07 pm That barge category would not be familiar with today's viewers. It was a big deal then.
that one needed to be taken top down to figure what they were talking about. :?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Courtesy of the National Archives of Game Show History I added 1/2/89: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7666

Player pics of Jennifer Myers Johnson, Dwayne Williams & Cigus Vanni:
Spoiler
That completes the regular run of Cigus's games.

Poor Jennifer got caught in a trap twice with the wrong South state and later with the swashbuckler.

Whatever that audio DD cost then vs. what it would be now would be quite a difference and could even exceed the difference of "Eight Days A Week" from a old game I did not too long ago?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:17 pm Courtesy of the National Archives of Game Show History I added 1/2/89: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7666

Player pics of Jennifer Myers Johnson, Dwayne Williams & Cigus Vanni:
Spoiler
That completes the regular run of Cigus's games.

Poor Jennifer got caught in a trap twice with the wrong South state and later with the swashbuckler.

Whatever that audio DD cost then vs. what it would be now would be quite a difference and could even exceed the difference of "Eight Days A Week" from a old game I did not too long ago?
J17-- need a period after M?
DJ10 -- Piano Sonata should be capitalized.
DJ11 -- should magazine be capitalized?
DJ15 -- should that be down beat?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

econgator wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:36 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:17 pm Courtesy of the National Archives of Game Show History I added 1/2/89: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7666

J17-- need a period after M?
DJ10 -- Piano Sonata should be capitalized.
DJ11 -- should magazine be capitalized?
DJ15 -- should that be down beat?
Got 'em cleaned up, thanks.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Courtesy of the National Archives of Game Show History I added 9/25/90: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7667

Player pics of Joan Sebelin, Jim Scott and Barbara Simon:
Spoiler
Nice debut by Jim and potential for the run was quickly obvious.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

econgator wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:36 pm DJ11 -- should magazine be capitalized?
I'm gonna say no?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:57 pm Courtesy of the National Archives of Game Show History I added 9/25/90: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7667

Player pics of Joan Sebelin, Jim Scott and Barbara Simon:
Spoiler
Nice debut by Jim and potential for the run was quickly obvious.
Missing a letter at the end of the response in J13
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Robert K S wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:07 pm
econgator wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:36 pm DJ11 -- should magazine be capitalized?
I'm gonna say no?
I can find a Keynote Magazine, but that has to do more with public speaking and the like, so that's probably not it. So, sure it could also be Keynote magazine (using a form similar to Time magazine), but *shrug*.