New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:39 pm Courtesy of the National Archives of Game Show History I added 1/21/85: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7794

Player pics of Susan Hogue, Arthur Frank & Paul Boymel:
Spoiler
That completes Paul's regular run of games, with respectable stats.
You've got an extra H in "Sara Jane Moore". (DJ22).

ETA:I was literally logged into the J-Archive editing account when I posted this. It then occured to me I could fix it myself. So I fixed it myself, hope you don't mind.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Courtesy of the National Archives of Game Show History, we have #285, aired 1985-10-11, the earliest Season 2 show previously unentered into the Archive.

I didn't know about the car company named for the department store mogul (DD at DJ!13).

The "fly swatter" in the last clue at DJ!27 refers to the unsuccessful Leasat rescue mission. I'm not sure the clue gets Dorfman's position right. The figure in the clue shares a name with a prolific early writer on Jeopardy! (who later died young of colon cancer), so I have to imagine it was some sort of sneaky tribute to his own name, possibly even a relation.

The Final was a Triple Stumper that Alex stated was "a toughie", but I think it's kind of chestnutty today, at least for anyone who's watched some of the many SNL retrospectives aired over the years.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Courtesy of the National Archives of Game Show History I added 12/17/85: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7797

Player pics of Denise Nielsen, Ron Jones and Louis Lang:
Spoiler
Denise got 1R in the J! round.

Ron nearly blew the roof off the studio with his DD3 wager and the crowd went nuts.

The guys were twice honest on the written responses when Alex was ready to go the other way, but it turned out not to matter since either way was wrong and Denise was right, anyway.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:03 pm Courtesy of the National Archives of Game Show History I added 12/17/85: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7797

Spoiler

Ron nearly blew the roof off the studio with his DD3 wager and the crowd went nuts.

The guys were twice honest on the written responses when Alex was ready to go the other way, but it turned out not to matter since either way was wrong and Denise was right, anyway.
You have Lou’s response as what Alex said and not what Lou said it was supposed to be. (Acknowledging I can’t see what was on the screen).
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:40 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:03 pm Courtesy of the National Archives of Game Show History I added 12/17/85: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7797

Spoiler

You have Lou’s response as what Alex said and not what Lou said it was supposed to be. (Acknowledging I can’t see what was on the screen).
Fixed it, thanks. I must have typed in what I saw before I heard the exchange and forgot to fix it. It really looked like a U.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

This is from the 2022 RIP thread, but I thought it was better to quote here rather than bump that thread.
Ivoryface86 wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:52 am
jlgarfield wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:56 pm
Ivoryface86 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:48 pm Merle Glickman, on January 21 was a doll collector. Was on both Jeopardy! versions, the $20,000 Pyramid(won $20,000), The Challengers and Millionaire in June 2003.
Next Q: When was Glickman's appearance on J!?
April 6, 1993 and yes GSN did rerun her appearance.
I found a quick blurb in the March 28, 1993 issue of the Chicago Tribune corroborating this appearance date. It just says, "Evanston's Merle Glickman shows up as a contestant on 'Jeopardy' on April 6."

From information in J! Archive about the nearest games before and after this, it can be concluded that she played against champion Kevin Porter and champion-to-be David Tiemann.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Courtesy of a TuneIn recording, we have Liz Caccese, Game 2—1985-01-02: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7800

Harry Eisenberg thought that his first "signature game" aired January 11. It did not; it aired January 2. His book was used as a cross-reference on spelling/punctuation/etc. on a number of clues.

J20: I've already added the erratum.
DJ15: Hooboy.
DJ11, DJ12, DJ26 all have some *howlers* for a Presidents category.

I might come back and transcribe the 11 unplayed clues from this game from his book at some point.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Courtesy of the National Archives of Game Show History I added 2/11/87: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7799

Player pics of Suzanne Williams, Keith Chun and Jake Harle:
Spoiler
I ran BASEBALL as did Keith & Suzanne combined and good thing DJ10 only wanted 2 as my third guess would have swung & missed with Gehringer or Greenberg.

At least DJ17 didn't name Goldbart.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:40 pm J20: I've already added the erratum.
We welcome the inventor of snooker to the J-Canon just the same.
MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:41 pm Courtesy of the National Archives of Game Show History I added 2/11/87: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7799
I fell into the same trap as Jake on J7. That guy was already in the Archive a few times, and I'd say a name worth knowing if you want to impress people.

Both of your games had clues about Harry Belafonte songs. Andy's entry is new to the Archive, and as far as I can tell every other clue that wants a specific song title of his asks about Mark's entry.

Correction. The clue Andy entered would be repeated nearly verbatim a year later, using a different spelling of "Matilda". (J3)

https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5624

In fact, based on a GIS of album covers, I'd choose that spelling for the Archive.
AndyTheQuizzer

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:14 pm
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:40 pm J20: I've already added the erratum.
MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:41 pm Courtesy of the National Archives of Game Show History I added 2/11/87: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7799
I fell into the same trap as Jake on J7. That guy was already in the Archive a few times, and I'd say a name worth knowing if you want to impress people.

Both of your games had clues about Harry Belafonte songs. Andy's entry is new to the Archive, and as far as I can tell every other clue that wants a specific song title of his asks about Mark's entry.

Correction. The clue Andy entered would be repeated nearly verbatim a year later, using a different spelling of "Matilda". (J3)

In fact, based on a GIS of album covers, I'd choose that spelling for the Archive.
I went with the spelling from Eisenberg’s book. It’s certainly possible that spelling was a Season 1 Special. What does RKS think?
Andy Saunders
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Courtesy of Tunein, we have #43, aired 1984-11-07, John Genova game 1 and the earliest previously unentered game in our backlog.

Alex frequently called on John Genova by his full name, for some reason. Was he trying to distinguish from Mr. Gilbert?

When Alex asks George what he plans to do with the money ($23,800 to that point), George explains:
George: Oh, well, for many years, I've been trying to get a bubble gum card collection known as Mars Attacks--

[Robin snickers.]

George: --which came out in 1960, and I'm finally going to be able to afford it.

[Laughter]

Alex: Are you serious?

George: Oh, it's a wonderful set.

Alex: [Incredulously] Okay...

George: And after that, there's a Three Stooges set.

[Laughter]

Alex: Man is putting me on. I don't know why. I don't fit. All right.
The Mars Attacks collection actually came out in 1962. There are reprints and copies out there for cheap, but to acquire all 55 cards of the original set in mint condition today would probably take all of George's considerable 1984 winnings and then some. The cards were, of course, the basis for the 1996 Tim Burton movie, whose title ended with a bang, even if the plot didn't. (In the movie, Earth is saved with a silly plot device cribbed from Attack of the Killer Tomatoes. In the card series, Earth is saved by blowing up Mars.) I'd venture George made an investment that appreciated well if he collected the whole set in 1984.

The Noah's ark DD was used as a Final twice, in #959, aired 1988-11-03 and #3644, aired 2000-06-08, and as a DD again in #8497, aired 2021-10-26.

Check out the game dynamics graph. Champ George imploded late in the Double Jeopardy! Round, after hurting himself on a big DD wager and then picking from the bottom of the board to try to recover but only striking out. He avoided the lock by staying in a category he was comfortable with, working up the column at a pace I've never heard on the show. Alex seemed to be on his side against the clock to make the game competitive. During his interview, Alex candidly disclosed that the head grip, Mike, was rooting for George, something that would probably be edited out today.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:40 pm What does RKS think?
Sorry--no opinion!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Robert K S wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:55 pm Courtesy of Tunein...
George’s total winnings aren’t included by his name at the top of the page.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:10 pm George’s total winnings aren’t included by his name at the top of the page.
Sorry, but it was fixed before you could post!
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:40 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:14 pm

I went with the spelling from Eisenberg’s book. It’s certainly possible that spelling was a Season 1 Special. What does RKS think?
If that's the case, I'd leave it be then.
AndyTheQuizzer

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Courtesy of the National Archives of Game Show History, we have 1985-01-09: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7801

Pictures of Ted Langham, Julia Conte, and Bill Klippel:
Spoiler
Bill Game 1 was 12R 8W, he STAYed a lot more CLAM this game with 5R 2W, but the result was essentially the same!

It was pretty much your garden-variety S1 game other than that.
Andy Saunders
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Has anyone won with fewer correct questions?
AndyTheQuizzer

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Bamaman wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:01 pm Has anyone won with fewer correct questions?
The known record does appear to be 5 for a civilian game.
Pat Schroeder won this game with 4 after Al Franken Clavin'd: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2549
Andy Saunders
AndyTheQuizzer

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Courtesy TuneIn, we have 1990-10-11: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7804

J29: To my ear, Carol very clearly enunciated "St Andrew" and not "St Andrews" for the name of the Scottish home of golf. (And, I listened with headphones in + am listening from the TuneIn recording, which is of generally good fidelity). I've thus chosen to add an erratum.

As it turns out, the scores were close enough to matter.

At this point, I'm choosing to work through the Archive backlog in order of "when did this episode enter our backlog", so my next group of episodes is going to be a bunch of Season 7 audio.

Also: Nick Coe said his wife (who he did not name) was on Jeopardy! a few years earlier and she won a trip to Puerto Rico.
Andy Saunders
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:32 pm Also: Nick Coe said his wife (who he did not name) was on Jeopardy! a few years earlier and she won a trip to Puerto Rico.
https://j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=9921

(Edit: Here's an obituary for the mother of a Katherine Coe who married a Nicholas Coe, for what it's worth. Also, the biographical details seem square with Kate Coe's "originally from Billings, Montana" introduction.)
Last edited by seaborgium on Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.