New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by Robert K S »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:14 pm Oh, and DJ28! Another hit way too late to help.
Paging Sg
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

At long last 6/27/91 is filled in: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1134

game id-1134 is many many years ago.

Fred Andrus, Maggie Walker and Mark Wasley took over after Mark Born retired and it was more of the same from someone named Mark which happened a lot in S7.

Kornelia Ender as a wrong guess was a blast from the past that I had not thought of in many decades, but could picture from a sports card I had, well still have somewhere, of her.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:41 pm At long last 6/27/91 is filled in: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1134

game id-1134 is many many years ago.

Fred Andrus, Maggie Walker and Mark Wasley took over after Mark Born retired and it was more of the same from someone named Mark which happened a lot in S7.

Kornelia Ender as a wrong guess was a blast from the past that I had not thought of in many decades, but could picture from a sports card I had, well still have somewhere, of her.
DJ20 says "From the Italian" but it should be "From the Tamil"
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:26 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:41 pm At long last 6/27/91 is filled in: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1134
DJ20 says "From the Italian" but it should be "From the Tamil"
Fixed, thanks
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Courtesy of the National Archives of Game Show History I added 4/20/90: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7778

Player pics of Frances Lau, George Kessler and Liz (in blue) Barnea:
Spoiler
Alex called Fran, Frances, while she signed in a Fran. Without the intro I don't know what Johnny said. I went with Fran to skip the nickname box as many times Alex opened chat with a more formal name for a player other than how that person was introduced or signed in.

All 13 categories started with "A", so I gave that a game note.

Myron: In the A.K.A. category you should be able to find something to welcome to the J! canon.

Good chat with Liz, whose young daughter watched J! and liked the music but her favorite show is a different one as she likes turning letters. Liz smiled when springing that on Alex and the host asked if the kid's name is Vanna too. :lol:
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

After reading FJ, I got a chuckle when I saw DJ24.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:52 pm Courtesy of the National Archives of Game Show History I added 4/20/90: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7778
J4's response spelled his stage name with a hyphen (he said it represented the gap in his teeth). [edit: looking him up, I saw that he died between the taping and airing of this episode. The use of past tense in the clue could seem prescient in light of this, but Parkinson's had ended his career several years earlier.]
DJ13 says "First named shared" instead of "First name shared."
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:29 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:52 pm Courtesy of the National Archives of Game Show History I added 4/20/90: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7778
J4's response spelled his stage name with a hyphen (he said it represented the gap in his teeth). [edit: looking him up, I saw that he died between the taping and airing of this episode. The use of past tense in the clue could seem prescient in light of this, but Parkinson's had ended his career several years earlier.]
DJ13 says "First named shared" instead of "First name shared."
Done and done, thanks.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:52 pm Myron: In the A.K.A. category you should be able to find something to welcome to the J! canon.
I certainly may. Welcome to Edna May Oliver, who was certainly no nutter.

You could actually write a playable, albeit hard, EDNA MAY OLIVER category. She had supporting roles in the film versions of a lot of well-known titles, and 1 Supporting Actress Oscar nomination.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edna_May_Oliver
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Courtesy of the National Archives of Game Show History I added 4/21/89: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7780

Player pics of Marianna Dwyer Phillips, Maurice Berg and Joel Sacks:
Spoiler
Another tie game archived.

I cannot tell a lie, I fell into the trap at J16.

Joel did whisper the "th" in time in the Ordinal category and I could see (and hear) why Alex negged and the judges reversed the decision.

The ending handshake has to be the longest ever on J! if not any game show in history. So weird to see.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Need to surgically remove the extra ‘s in DJ16.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:33 pm Need to surgically remove the extra ‘s in DJ16.
's ectomy complete, thanks.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Courtesy of the National Archives of Game Show History I added 7/22/88: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7781

Player pics of Chuck Bennett, Dave Prechtl and Ted Tarson:
Spoiler
Generous judging on the FJ! response?
Spoiler
UGH! SPELLING category.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Only ONE clue revealed in ARCHITECTURE!!! :evil:
Douglas Squasoni
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Would've liked to know if they would've taken moon pie for pie in the sky. :?
OrchidEntity
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by OrchidEntity »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:02 pm Only ONE clue revealed in ARCHITECTURE!!! :evil:
Not sure what’s more wild: that or SPELLING being the first category selected that round.
"Everything ends. Life goes on. I'll be gone. So will you. So hug people tightly. Take joy in their heartbeats and drink something cold and go play in the shade. That is all." -Bob Harris, Prisoner of Trebekistan
-
I post whatever (but mostly mushrooms and nature stuff) on Bluesky.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Courtesy of Tunein, we have #265, aired 1985-09-13.

We've always assumed that the whole first week of Season 2 had the contestants arrayed in the reverse order, with the champ at the outside lectern, but with this game, we learn--not so! Here's Alex's opening monologue.
Spoiler
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you very much, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome, once again, to America's favorite game of answers and questions, Jeopardy! If you have been tuned in all of this week, you know that this is the beginning of our second season on the air. We have incorporated a number of electronic changes, and some physical changes, as well. The contestants, as opposed to last season, now enter from this side, and at the beginning of the week, we had our champion at the outside podium. Unfortunately, some of our viewers complained about that, including my mother. So we've gone back to the old way, and that means our champion, in this case, Teresa, is at the inside podium. All right, I'm not going to waste any more of your time explaining the new rules on Jeopardy! We'll go right into the first round, and things will, uh, develop as we play the game. Let's put the board in motion, and find out what the categories are. We still have the $500 answers at the bottom, the easier ones at the top. Here are the categories...
I'm not sure how "viewers" could have "complained" about this change given that the shows were, of course, taped over two months in advance of their airdates, but what we do know is that only four games were taped on the first tape date of the season and that this game, the fifth of the season, was held over until the next day, so maybe it was just assumed that viewers wouldn't like the change, or maybe the studio audience was polled.

Top-row Audio Daily Double alert. The song clip was played in its entirety before the clue was given, and I have rendered it so in the Archive.

Alex bobbled DJ!14 a bit so I would appreciate everyone checking it over. He read it as "Sport in which you might [a word that sounds like "put" but starting with a "B"] button hook into the coffin corner". I have rendered it as "Sport in which you might button hook into the coffin corner".

Jay put in a buzzer beater on DJ!23 to regain the lead after Wayne had just taken it with the last Daily Double on clue 22. Without that clutch get, Jay wouldn't have started his trip to becoming a 5xer and wouldn't have punched his ticket to the UToC decades later.

I re-read Jay's obituary (he died in 2008) and his UToC remarks which are stored in the Archive. Like many who appear on the show, he led an interesting life.

As for Wayne, he did all right for himself in his own law practice. Here's a news article about him and his siblings selling the family manor house.
Spoiler
https://www.bizjournals.com/southflorid ... r-12m.html

Cypen family sells Miami Beach mansion for $12M
The property at 320 W. Dilido Drive in Miami Beach sold for $11.8 million.

By Brian Bandell – Real Estate Editor, South Florida Business Journal
Jan 25, 2021
The Cypen family sold their longtime home on the Venetian Islands in Miami Beach for $11.8 million.

A trust in the name of the late Hazel Cypen, with Stephen H. Cypen, Bonnie Cypen Epstein and Wayne A. Cypen as trustees, sold the 6,433-square-foot home at 320 W. Dilido Drive to 320 Aqua LLC, managed by Philippe Harari, owner of local luxury homebuilder AquaBlue Group. The seller was represented Albert Justo and Miki Curkoski of One Sotheby’s International Realty. The listing highlighted the 21,000-square-foot waterfront location as a redevelopment site. The home was built in 1959.

“The Venetian Islands have always been a hot spot for waterfront buyers seeking beautiful views and a vibrant lifestyle,” Justo said. “The Cypen family is a prominent family in our community. Miki and I were honored to have been chosen to represent them in the sale.”

Hazel Cypen died in June 2020 at age 101. Her late husband was Judge Irving Cypen.

Stephen Cypen and Wayne Cypen are both attorneys in Miami.

Meanwhile, Harari was recently in the news for his purchase of the Miami Beach home of former Miami Heat star Chris Bosh. Given the flurry of big-dollar deals for mansions on the Venetian Islands, the latest buy could be a prime opportunity for Harari to build a luxury home.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Oh, I guess I misread a P as a D in Steve Bowie's notes where he transcribed Wayne's last name as Seipin.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Robert K S wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:55 pm Courtesy of Tunein, we have #265, aired 1985-09-13.
Speaking of Steve's notes, he wrote what the consolation prizes were for this game: second place got a Hardwick microwave and Tara Ware microwave cookware, and third place got Jules Jurgensen watches.

edit: while I'm at it, I'll just share his notes of the prizes for the following game (1985-9-16) here, roughly rendered how he wrote them.
2nd: Panasonic Rec/Monitor
Stiffel Lamps
3rd: Jules Jurgensen watches

I searched J! Archive for "Panasonic" to see if I could find precisely what "Rec/Monitor" refers to, and the best bet seems to be the third-place prize in Frank Hughes game 2 a little over a year later.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Courtesy of Tunein, we have #266, aired 1985-09-16, Jay Rosenberg game 2, to complete his run.

Here's the ad from the TS at J!4.

In J!14, Alex appraises the car mentioned in the clue at $800k. They've appreciated quite a bit since 1985. According to Wikipedia, "In 2018 a Duesenberg SSJ that was formerly owned by [the correct-response figure] was sold at auction for $22 million. This made it the most expensive American car ever sold." There are some foreign models that have sold for over twice that, though. Says one modern-day reviewer of the car, "The car is searing and imperious. If I had been in the driver’s seat any longer, I certainly would have become a cult leader."

LOL at the exchange after time ran out in the Jeopardy! Round, with Kimberly humorously interrupting Alex's round wrap-up with an optimistic look on her situation. LOL also at the sequel in Final.

DJ!13, J! jumps into controversy by taking sides on the western boundary of the French Riviera, and not for the last time, but with little consistency (see, e.g., #2574, aired 1995-11-09 EUROPEAN TRAVEL $1000 [St-Tropez], and compare with #4082, aired 2002-05-07 THE HEADACHES OF MILLIONAIRES $400 [Hyères] and #6163, aired 2011-06-01 SIGHTSEEING $400 [Hyères]).

It took me about a half-hour and a Shazam install to find the exact version of the song played for the Audio Daily Double at DJ!14, but I think it was worth it. It's a beautiful rendition and I like it better than the over-orchestrated ones by Connie Francis, Frank Sinatra, and others, and also more than a remixed version of the same recording(?) that adds a fussy jazz piano part.

And while we're jamming out, here's the song from DJ!17 in the category 1982.

Alex really dragged out the suspense in ruling on Jay's response in the last DD at DJ!20.

The Final from this game was one not in the collected Finals resource. I abbreviated Alex's reading of "television" in the rendering of the clue, as I suspect it was on the screen.