New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Ivoryface86
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by Ivoryface86 »

We should also be informed that, especially me and Trevor(aka animfan), that the first regular episode to have the first answer of each segment zoom-up to full screen and showing the entire set to zoom-in to the players while the lights are dimmed was on December 21, 1992(the first regular week shot after the inaugural Celebrity tournament I believe), and March 1, 1993 was the first episode to have the new Griffin graphic, though the Saturday reruns(the Sunday reruns during Football season) began using the new Griffin graphic on the pre-1993 Teen Tournament episodes.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7357 , November 28, 1991, Robin O'Donnell vs. Joan Srednicki vs. Kirk Ditzler.

The penultimate game on the India tapes. Props to Robin for handling the HOW DO YOU... category smoothly, responding "How do you...?" instead of "What is, How do you...?" as Kirk did.

I can't be 100% sure, but I believe we welcome the musicals "No Strings" and "Wildcat" (as a response) to the J-Canon.

Two clues of interest, both in DJ:
LITERATURE for $600: 30 years after she wrote "The Autobiography of Alice B. Toklas", Alice wrote "What is Remembered"

LITERATURE for $800: John Gay wrote "Polly" as a sequel to this "Opera"
Spoiler
$600: Who is Gertrude Stein? Alice B. Toklas also actually wrote her own autobiography. That's fun to know.
$800: What is "The Beggar's Opera"? Not "The Threepenny Opera" (as I guessed), which was based on it. Don't mix them up.
Robin hit the Daily Double on the last clue of Double Jeopardy, and played to tie. He missed, giving Kirk the lock. More conservative play wouldn't have made a difference though, as FJ was a triple get.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

If she had bet $1,200 and tanks the DD, she is a co-champ.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

When auctioning off the Sushi Bar set for charity in 2002, Jeopardy referred to Brad Rutter as "The Million Dollar Master".

Oh, and they mentioned me too. Can't believe it's been 20 years, today.
jlgarfield

Post by jlgarfield »

The 3/29/1993 show, not in the Archive, is available now online.
kablamfan11

Post by kablamfan11 »

9/8/93 episode is on YT
kablamfan11

Post by kablamfan11 »

jlgarfield wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:44 pm The 3/29/1993 show, not in the Archive, is available now online.
link please?
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

kablamfan11 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:50 pm 9/8/93 episode is on YT
Interesting. Never seen that before. You can disallow your videos from being seen on other sites.
Douglas Squasoni
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Christopher Denault has pointed out this obit for Dale Denno (related surname if not an actual relation).
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Courtesy of a YT upload I added 3/29/93: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7431

Player pics of Susan Poorman, Don Menella and Abraham Aig:
Spoiler
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:15 pm Courtesy of a YT upload I added 3/29/93: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7431

Spoiler
1950's $2000: Tn 1950
Douglas Squasoni
goroshnik
I came, I Saw... I Came in Third

Post by goroshnik »

Robert K S wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:19 pm Christopher Denault has pointed out this obit for Dale Denno (related surname if not an actual relation).
This recent find's been fascinating to me, as I never even knew there was a possibility of someone else in the Denno/Denault family tree who was on the show. I'm still looking to confirm or deny a family connection, but I do know that there have been quite a few variations on the last name (Deneault, Deigneault and Deniau are others in the tree along with the two mentioned previously).

Dale Denno's sister's name is Nancy Denault-Weiss, so I'm not sure yet how or why we've got two different spellings among the same family, but I hope I'll get a few answers on Facebook as I've found her there, along with Dale's wife and son.

Thanks SO much for the link, Robert! It's been so cool to find this out.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:15 pm Courtesy of a YT upload I added 3/29/93: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7431

Spoiler
Oh hey, I remember that PAINTING & SCULPTURE $100 clue from its first airing; none of the names were familiar to 9-year-old me, but I took a stab at the multiple choice and got it right.

edit: I also remember HOMOPHONIC PAIRS $200 tripping up a contestant.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

goroshnik wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:37 pm
Robert K S wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:19 pm Christopher Denault has pointed out this obit for Dale Denno (related surname if not an actual relation).
This recent find's been fascinating to me, as I never even knew there was a possibility of someone else in the Denno/Denault family tree who was on the show. I'm still looking to confirm or deny a family connection, but I do know that there have been quite a few variations on the last name (Deneault, Deigneault and Deniau are others in the tree along with the two mentioned previously).

Dale Denno's sister's name is Nancy Denault-Weiss, so I'm not sure yet how or why we've got two different spellings among the same family, but I hope I'll get a few answers on Facebook as I've found her there, along with Dale's wife and son.

I've located a Find A Grave page for Dale's father that includes his obituary; Nancy is listed with the last name Denno. My suspicion is she liked the French spelling more and changed it when she got married.

My dad has cousins who spell their (our) last name as "Goodrow"; when my great-great-grandfather brought our name down from Canada he was apparently illiterate, so his last name was at the mercy of Americans. My grandpa and his siblings grew up as Goodrow, and then when he went to enlist for WWII, he was found to be known to the government as Goodreau. The understanding is that his francophone, literate grandmother filled out his birth certificate and gave his last name the French ending, which he kept for the rest of his life.
goroshnik
I came, I Saw... I Came in Third

Post by goroshnik »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:43 am
goroshnik wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:37 pm

I've located a Find A Grave page for Dale's father that includes his obituary; Nancy is listed with the last name Denno. My suspicion is she liked the French spelling more and changed it when she got married.

My dad has cousins who spell their (our) last name as "Goodrow"; when my great-great-grandfather brought our name down from Canada he was apparently illiterate, so his last name was at the mercy of Americans. My grandpa and his siblings grew up as Goodrow, and then when he went to enlist for WWII, he was found to be known to the government as Goodreau. The understanding is that his francophone, literate grandmother filled out his birth certificate and gave his last name the French ending, which he kept for the rest of his life.
I can totally see why someone would switch from Denno to the original Denault. ;) Thanks for digging up that info!

When I was on, I got the best of both pronunciations of my name, as Johnny went with the Americanized "DEN-no" sound that my family has used our entire lives, while Alex went with the truer French-Canadian "den-NO" style that I somehow knew he'd go with.

As for the true, original name itself? We've been fortunate to trace our direct line all the way back to the first Deniau to cross the Atlantic from France in 1653, as Marin Deniau dit Destaillis was part of the group of men and women who took part in Le Grande Recrue ("The Great Recruitment"), as souls were needed to defend the newly created town of Ville-Marie from the Iroquois. The men and women were successful in their efforts to save the town, and now we know that little hamlet by the name of Montreal. ;)

There is a plaque commemorating the 1653 event, located in Place de la Dauversière, Montreal. I hope to someday take the journey up there and feel my roots.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Spoiler
I guess leaving off the last letter wasn't an issue that day.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Courtesy of a YT upload I added 9/8/93: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7433

Player pics of Dale Denno, Maryclaire Stone & Brian Moore:
Spoiler
Bamaman: Yeah, I'm sure they got letters from WA people for the previous old game archived.
kablamfan11

Post by kablamfan11 »

found 3 1992 episodes on YT
4/21/92:
4/22/92:
4/23/92:
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

A clip from the 4/22/92 game was posted earlier in the thread—jlgarfield's question was answered by Mark, and it was from seeing that clip then that I recognized today the introduction of Andrew Boynton as a modern dancer.
jlgarfield wrote: https://www.facebook.com/jackson.betz.1 ... 737539506/ - Another season 8 clip, from Facebook Video. When is this from?
Also, the game that follows has a couple funny little details: first, Alex pauses for the first commercial break just ten clues in because he has the hiccups (audibly, I might add—though several are heard, he has just one on camera, during the interviews after the commercial); second, a contestant gives a plural, 13-letter response to a 12-LETTER WORDS clue that is accepted, Alex says at the end of the J! round that there may be a change in scoring, and then he says at the beginning of DJ that they won't change his score because the clue was phrased in a way that may have misled him to the plural of the correct response.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:35 am Alex ... has the hiccups ... on camera, during the interviews
I noticed that--also noticed that you can hear the audience laugh at this hiccup.