New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by Bamaman »

I had Speaker and president pro tem for FJ. As the pro tem acts in the VP’s absence (or if there is no VP) it should be accepted.

Interestingly, the Speaker and pro tem are forced to sign a bill they might actually have voted against. The VP might personally oppose it but would have had to vote in favor for it (in case of a tie vote) to pass.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:01 am
Robert K S wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:50 pm From Tunein, we have show #44, aired 1984-11-08, John Genova game 2, featuring as a worthy challenger one Gregory Proops, a retail sales clerk whom I understand subsequently made a career for himself in race announcing.
I just realized, if John had made a properly strategic bet from second place ($1,600 to catch up to Gregory and guarantee not being surpassed by Roberta), and his subsequent games' earnings were the same, his 5-day total would have been $46,000 even, and he would have missed out on the UToC (and fellow S1 5xer Ron Black with his $47,401 would have nabbed the last spot).

If they ever delved into past seasons for a Second Chance competition, I'd root for Greg to be included. If any S1 contestant who never won has remained sharp enough to be competitive on J! nearly 40 years later, he's got to be one.
Greg could do celebrity J! and put him in a game with vets Wayne Brady and Aisha Tyler.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Courtesy of the National Archives of Game Show History I added 6/4/90: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7698

Player pics of Peter Gordon, Richard Lewis and Tom Stinson:
Spoiler
Good game and a rare one when I can get all the TS clues.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Tom's lucky Peter withheld $50 rather than going all in.

edit: I'm pretty sure the third place clothing is from The Greif Companies, not Grief. I remember seeing that spelling in J! credits in the '90s. In fact... yep, it's recorded as such in the Credit Roll Transcripts thread.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:36 pm The Greif Companies, not Grief.
Fixed, thanks.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:39 pm Courtesy of the National Archives of Game Show History I added 6/4/90: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7698
The Biblical prophet Balaam is not new to the J-Canon, but this game has the first clue in which his talking ass isn't mentioned.
OrchidEntity
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by OrchidEntity »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:36 pm Tom's lucky Peter withheld $50 rather than going all in.
Heck, if Peter had wagered everything except a dollar, he and Tom would have been co-champs.
"Everything ends. Life goes on. I'll be gone. So will you. So hug people tightly. Take joy in their heartbeats and drink something cold and go play in the shade. That is all." -Bob Harris, Prisoner of Trebekistan
-
I post whatever (but mostly mushrooms and nature stuff) on Bluesky.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Robert K S wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:50 pm From Tunein, we have show #44, aired 1984-11-08, John Genova game 2, featuring as a worthy challenger one Gregory Proops, a retail sales clerk whom I understand subsequently made a career for himself in race announcing.
I realized something else: with this game added, J! Archive now has at least one regular appearance of each of the 15 ToCers from 1985. Way to go, y'all!
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:07 am
I realized something else: with this game added, J! Archive now has at least one regular appearance of each of the 15 ToCers from 1985. Way to go, y'all!
The earliest ToCer I believe we are missing the entire regular run of is now Gary Giardina.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Ivoryface86

Post by Ivoryface86 »

Gary Giardina is also the last ToC'er to feature Alex entering with a corded microphone and also the last ToC'er where the unveiled Daily Double is zoomed in.
jlgarfield

Post by jlgarfield »

OMG, a pre-Whose Line Greg Proops! I take it he was on a few other game shows before the fame.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Courtesy of the National Archives of Game Show History I added 9/7/88: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7700

Player pics of Pat Sory, Ron Smith and Dave Prechtl:
Spoiler
With non-spring chickens playing I was more optimistic than I would have been otherwise that J10 would get a correct response.

Ron mentioned that he taught 1988 Teen QF Mia Diamond.

The FJ! clue had me glad for just two as no way I can recall all four in 30 seconds.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Courtesy of the National Archives of Game Show History I added 9/21/87: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7702

Player pics of Brenda Steere, Roy Holliday and Tom Bendycki:
Spoiler
I like DD3.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Courtesy of the National Archives of Game Show History I added 2/10/87: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7704

Player pics of Michael Cowell, Dorothy Regner and Jake Harle:
Spoiler
4th podium special and sirens for wagering police.

That was a trip to watch Jake in the game and then find a more current pic of him online.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Courtesy of the National Archives of Game Show History I added 10/22/85: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7706

Player pics of Ginny Crispell, Lee Aronsohn and Larry Zelenak:
Spoiler
Not too bad for a S2 game.

DJ8 seems so silly to a be clue. Is it still the record holder?

I would hope the FJ! clue went 3/3.

Unpredictable wagering has always been part of the show.

Lee has done okay for himself: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Aronsohn

During chat he said was instrumental in creating the character of Vicki on The Love Boat and wanted her to be illegitimate.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I found a 1985 article from the day after Jay Rosenberg's first game that mentions several other recent or upcoming contestants who were also residents (or former residents) of the Triangle: Susan Blum that past Monday, Czerni Brasuell (not Cyrni Rajwahl as currently archived) on 9/23, Jeff Carnes on 10/11, and Steve Hersch on 10/28. Between the spelling correction and the unarchived players' surnames being homophones for other surnames, this seemed important enough to share here. I've looked at images of the article itself to verify no spellings are the result of OCR errors. (Ms. Brasuell seems to spell her first name with a y at the end now—and so did Michelle Obama in mentioning her in Becoming—but it appears that it was spelled with an i through the '80s.)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I found an article about a contestant in Harvey Becker game 4. Other articles interrupt it in the OCR so I'll quote it here (and edit in periods and commas and paragraph breaks).
Spoiler
'Jeopardy' to test librarian
by MICHAEL ZUZEL
The Colombian

The answer is: a Vancouver school librarian who will appear as a contestant on the television game show “Jeopardy" next month.

The question is: Who is Tim Hedges?

Trivia fans can watch the 41-year-old Hedges test his knowledge in such categories as “trucks,” “zoology," "Abraham Lincoln" and "the Beatles” when the show airs Friday, Nov 8.

Hedges, a librarian at Fruit Valley and Benjamin Franklin elementary schools, won the chance to appear on the popular program after auditions in Portland last May. He survived two mock matches, a written test and an interview and was chosen to appear at a taping in Los Angeles Aug. 12.

Hedges thought his chances were pretty good.

“I've always been a reader, the kind of person who reads the paper every day from front to back,” he said. “I've always enjoyed the program (Jeopardy) because it's based on skill and not luck, like so many of these programs." Hedges drove to Los Angeles and showed up at the studios of KTLA for an afternoon and evening of taping. Five half-hour "Jeopardy" programs are taped in a session, and Hedges waited to be called to the contestants' box.

Meanwhile, a New York attorney was flexing his mental muscles. The attorney had emerged victorious in the second and third shows, winning a total of $25,000. In the fourth show, he set the all-time single-program record, winning another $25,000.

“They've had some good contestants on this season, but this guy was from another planet or something," Hedges said. “We didn't want to have to face this guy. It would have been like cannon fodder.”

Nonetheless, when program officials asked for volunteers for the taping of the final show, Hedges stepped forward. Along with the attorney and another contestant, he took the dive into “Jeopardy,” with emcee Alex Trebek leading.

At first, Hedges and the attorney stayed fairly even. Hedges said he was anxious to sink his teeth into the “Beatles" category but wasn’t able to hit his buzzer fast enough to give it a chance. The two each ended the first round with about $2,200.

In the “Double Jeopardy" round, the attorney pulled well ahead, racking up $7,300 to Hedges' $4,300. Hedges missed two daily doubles, including one on Abraham Lincoln's opponent in the presidential election.

“I should have got that one,” Hedges said. “I was a history major in college."

By the time of “Final Jeopardy," the third contestant had dropped out with a deficit. The “Final Jeopardy" category: “Miss America."

The answer was: “This populous state has had the most Miss Americas.”

The question?

Viewers will have to watch Nov. 8 for the outcome. For now, Hedges said he enjoyed the experience, even though much of it is just a blur in his memory. “Things just go by so fast, you can't concentrate on the score or anything. You have to concentrate on the questions," he said. "It was great. I’d do it again in a minute."
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Courtesy of the National Archives of Game Show History I added 3/21/85: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7708

Player pics of Julie Stewart, Eric House and Steve Grant:
Spoiler
Under 15R in a S1 game? I'll take it.

Got both for the FJ! clue while having challenger response before champ response. Knew not to consider the current third one.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Courtesy of the National Archives of Game Show History, we have show #142, aired 1985-03-26, Steven Rogitz game 3, which OntarioQuizzer noticed was a single-player Final Jeopardy! game that killed what we previously thought was Jeff Richmond's claim to fame of having been the only one to have played in 1-, 2-, 3-, and 4-player Final Jeopardy! Rounds. Steve has, too, it turns out, and I will put together a quad illustration like the one for Jeff in due course (tomorrow, if I can get to it).

Steve had a very handsome 37 R but his take-home pay was hampered by ugly 12 W and big money losses on two of the three DDs he found and Final.

With regard to DJ!18, which calls the General Sherman Tree "the world’s largest living thing", I think some aspens or a fungus may lay claim to that superlative now.

Alex revealed Steve's Final wager before his Final response.

Not really sure why his Final response shouldn't have been acceptable!

With thanks to seaborgium, the player names are correct and sadly, we learned, that Bill, the middle challenger, passed away in 2020. Steve was introduced as "Steven" in his regular-play games but wrote "Steve" on his lectern, at least for the ones we have. We don't have his first game, in which he played against a returning champion named Steve. As OQ noted, this may explain why he was introduced as "Steven", and he may have been required to sign in as "Steven" for that first game so as to distinguish the two players.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Robert K S wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:11 pm Not really sure why his Final response shouldn't have been acceptable!
Is there a word missing from that clue -- like a 'the'?

And yeah, the common cold is the most prevalent disease for which there is no vaccine.