New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:45 pm Courtesy games shared with Archivists, 1993-03-08: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=8768

Lois Meltzer, Mike Ward, Tom Mullens
There would have been an interesting finish if Lois had had a sole get in FJ.
MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:49 pm I'll take the FJ! clue up to 25%. Out of left field is too close for what the players guessed. :o
My best guess is that they saw Cape Horn and thought either Cape of Good Hope or the Horn of Africa. At least the guys, anyway. Rosemary, I suspect, was just trying to go for some islands named for a Brit. (The Gilbert Islands are Kiribati—which is "Gilberts" as adapted into their language—and thousands, not hundreds, of miles from the nearest continent, Australia.) I would hope Tom and John had an "oh, shoot" moment once Alex mentioned South America.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Courtesy games shared with Archivists, 1993-03-11: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=8773

Brian McCarthy, Michael Kane, John Abrams

Different Brian McCarthy than January 1993 one. Hope I tagged and linked things properly.

If my guess was not right for the FJ! clue then my goose was Cooked.

Nothing like BALLET to put fear in the hearts of men like John on DD3.
MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:39 pm Nothing like BALLET to put fear in the hearts of men like John on DD3.
We welcome "Les Biches" to the J-Canon as a mentioned title. For that clue I guessed the wrong N. Guy. I don't think there's any way to differentiate them here, other than by knowing the sister.

The $2000 clue is also new-ish to the J-Canon. The city has been clued by the ballet company a few times, but this is the only clue with the ballet company proper as the correct response. "German" + "ballet company" is a pavlov for that city (on the Neckar River).
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Clues from the Battle of the Bay Area Brains game from 1998 are now archived.

Leslie Frates vs. Michael Rankins vs. Beverly Spurs

https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=8776

Leslie had the buzzer and the early score momentum but the DDs and Final didn't go her way. Michael Rankins puzzled out the game's category theme for a Final solve that secured him the game after he had been trailing for most of it.

This game was akin to a celebrity game in that the show momentum was often interrupted, in this case by in-person clue readings by local celebrities, PSA/appeals for the Red Cross, an applause recognition of a local TV executive, and ads for the upcoming college championship. As a result, 15 clues (10 in the DJ! Round) went unplayed, including one in-person celebrity clue. At least all the DDs were uncovered. The J! Round did not have a one-minute warning. The game aired on a Sunday, and only on one local station (not nationwide).

The production designers weren't bothered with any set customizations for this special match. The players played under a set piece archway meant to look like a metal entrance gate to a university campus that read "College Championship". There also weren't any special graphics or logos made for the show.

The Sony electronics prize packages weren't mentioned on the show. Information about them comes courtesy the memories of Michael Rankins and Leslie Frates. I had to increase the allowable character count for the prize database field in the J! Archive database to accommodate the longer prize entries for this game. (I hope there are no side effects of that change.)
MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:42 pm Clues from the Battle of the Bay Area Brains game from 1998 are now archived.
I thought there might be more "Welcome to the J-Canon"s from this ep, but J! has never shied away from California-centric clues. Surprisingly thanks to this game we can welcome golfer Casey Martin to the J-Canon, a true name from the past.

Thanks a lot for making this game happen for the Archive. I promise to give you at least a year before I start dropping hints about programming in something for game 3000. ;)
finishemzoe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by finishemzoe »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:42 pm Clues from the Battle of the Bay Area Brains game from 1998 are now archived.

Leslie Frates vs. Michael Rankins vs. Beverly Spurs

https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=8776

Leslie had the buzzer and the early score momentum but the DDs and Final didn't go her way. Michael Rankins puzzled out the game's category theme for a Final solve that secured him the game after he had been trailing for most of it.

This game was akin to a celebrity game in that the show momentum was often interrupted, in this case by in-person clue readings by local celebrities, PSA/appeals for the Red Cross, an applause recognition of a local TV executive, and ads for the upcoming college championship. As a result, 15 clues (10 in the DJ! Round) went unplayed, including one in-person celebrity clue. At least all the DDs were uncovered. The J! Round did not have a one-minute warning. The game aired on a Sunday, and only on one local station (not nationwide).

The production designers weren't bothered with any set customizations for this special match. The players played under a set piece archway meant to look like a metal entrance gate to a university campus that read "College Championship". There also weren't any special graphics or logos made for the show.

The Sony electronics prize packages weren't mentioned on the show. Information about them comes courtesy the memories of Michael Rankins and Leslie Frates. I had to increase the allowable character count for the prize database field in the J! Archive database to accommodate the longer prize entries for this game. (I hope there are no side effects of that change.)
Thinking of possibly implementing this info into my leaderboard, since Michael Rankins's prize package seems to be $7,700. Is there any estimate on how much Leslie or Beverly won in terms of that? I would probably put it in the consolation column.
sup, i'm bliss.

trans rights.

JEOPARDY! LEADERBOARD HERE: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... mYjSS0weM/

SUBSTACK: https://livinginjeopardy.substack.com/
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Just subtract the laptop for Beverly, and the laptop and camcorder for Leslie!
finishemzoe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by finishemzoe »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:55 pm Just subtract the laptop for Beverly, and the laptop and camcorder for Leslie!
Sounds like the right formula, does anyone know what those exact prizes were valued at? I'm guessing they either told Michael or maybe he just wanted the cash instead?
sup, i'm bliss.

trans rights.

JEOPARDY! LEADERBOARD HERE: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... mYjSS0weM/

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

finishemzoe wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:39 pm
seaborgium wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:55 pm Just subtract the laptop for Beverly, and the laptop and camcorder for Leslie!
Sounds like the right formula, does anyone know what those exact prizes were valued at? I'm guessing they either told Michael or maybe he just wanted the cash instead?
Doing some quick newspapers.com searching, I found a 1998 bit of writing pricing a VAIO laptop at $2,699, which if rounded up would put the MSRP of Beverly's prize package nicely at $5,000.
finishemzoe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by finishemzoe »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:58 pm
finishemzoe wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:39 pm
Doing some quick newspapers.com searching, I found a 1998 bit of writing pricing a VAIO laptop at $2,699, which if rounded up would put the MSRP of Beverly's prize package nicely at $5,000.
If Leslie knows how much the camcorder was priced at, I might just be able to pull this off.
sup, i'm bliss.

trans rights.

MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Matthew Weiner's games were indeed June 16-17, 1992. From Men's Journal Magazine online:
Do you remember what your Final Jeopardy question was?
I remember the one that I missed more than the one I got. The one that I was missed—and I was a science teacher and my dad was a scientist, so this is super embarrassing. Everything about it was embarrassing. The day that I lost, I actually got Final Jeopardy right but I lost by a dollar. But the day that I won, I got Final Jeopardy wrong and didn't get as much money as I could have. And also felt very embarrassed. But the category was Elements, and the clue was something like: This greenish gas is named from a Greek work. And I think I put beryllium or some baloney answer because I was trying to think of green and not realizing the difference between Latin and Greek and all the things you don't do because you're in a panic, but it was chlorine. It was the dumbest thing in the world and I still hate chlorine for that reason!
https://www.mensjournal.com/gear/matthe ... p-20140822

Mark Barrett quote from the March 14, 2017 Daily Recap thread:
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:28 pm On the Tea Leoni clue Matthew Weiner mentioned he was a J! champ in 1992 and I paid it little attention thinking it was one of those celeb appearances. It's hit me now that it must have been regular play since he was not famous back then.

Is this something we knew about previously? I'll have to flip through my notes for a one-day Matthew champ in 1992 although I suspect with a name like that there will be more than one.

Time to work on it.

ETA: I only found one champ Matt(hew) in 1992 not in the Archive.

June 16, 1992
Kay: (returning with 8600) 6700-6700=0
Frank: minus 600
Matt: 8600-4801=3799
[Sirens]

June 17
Matt: 6400+6400=12800
Eric: 6100+6099=12199
Mary Jane: 10400+2401=12801

Curious about the FJ! clues I checked "the resource" and found:

857 1992‑06‑17 LITERARY SUBJECTS HE'S THE SUBJECT OF IRVING STONE'S NOVEL "THE PASSIONS OF THE MIND"
856 1992‑06‑16 THE ELEMENTS THIS TOXIC, GASEOUS ELEMENT DERIVES ITS NAME FROM ITS GREENISH COLOR

Correct responses:
Spoiler
WHO IS SIGMUND FREUD?
WHAT IS CHLORINE?
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:46 pm Matthew Weiner's games were indeed June 16-17, 1992. From Men's Journal Magazine online:
Do you remember what your Final Jeopardy question was?
I remember the one that I missed more than the one I got. The one that I was missed—and I was a science teacher and my dad was a scientist, so this is super embarrassing. Everything about it was embarrassing. The day that I lost, I actually got Final Jeopardy right but I lost by a dollar. But the day that I won, I got Final Jeopardy wrong and didn't get as much money as I could have. And also felt very embarrassed. But the category was Elements, and the clue was something like: This greenish gas is named from a Greek work. And I think I put beryllium or some baloney answer because I was trying to think of green and not realizing the difference between Latin and Greek and all the things you don't do because you're in a panic, but it was chlorine. It was the dumbest thing in the world and I still hate chlorine for that reason!
https://www.mensjournal.com/gear/matthe ... p-20140822

Mark Barrett quote from the March 14, 2017 Daily Recap thread:
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:28 pm On the Tea Leoni clue Matthew Weiner mentioned he was a J! champ in 1992 and I paid it little attention thinking it was one of those celeb appearances. It's hit me now that it must have been regular play since he was not famous back then.

Is this something we knew about previously? I'll have to flip through my notes for a one-day Matthew champ in 1992 although I suspect with a name like that there will be more than one.

Time to work on it.

ETA: I only found one champ Matt(hew) in 1992 not in the Archive.

June 16, 1992
Kay: (returning with 8600) 6700-6700=0
Frank: minus 600
Matt: 8600-4801=3799
[Sirens]

June 17
Matt: 6400+6400=12800
Eric: 6100+6099=12199
Mary Jane: 10400+2401=12801

Curious about the FJ! clues I checked "the resource" and found:

857 1992‑06‑17 LITERARY SUBJECTS HE'S THE SUBJECT OF IRVING STONE'S NOVEL "THE PASSIONS OF THE MIND"
856 1992‑06‑16 THE ELEMENTS THIS TOXIC, GASEOUS ELEMENT DERIVES ITS NAME FROM ITS GREENISH COLOR

Correct responses:
Spoiler
WHO IS SIGMUND FREUD?
WHAT IS CHLORINE?
Huh. Our original information was correct all along, and anything after this was misdirecting us.
Andy Saunders
Moderator, #JeopardyLivePanel
Host, Complete The List
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I learned yesterday via Facebook that game show fan Robert Mackey, known also as Robair, passed away last week. Robair's Updates have been cited in this thread numerous times, and I think it was one of his videos that provided our only known evidence of Barbara Lowe until the Museum Tapes surfaced.

Like many of us, my point of introduction for Robair was the old alt.tv.game-shows newsgroup. It had been running for a year or so when I stumbled across it in 1994. My oldest internet friends come from that group, and I'm still in FB contact with many of them. I had always hoped to run into him and his twin brother Dave at the Crossword Tournament some year, but I never managed to get up there. Had we but world enough and time.

From the earth to the sun to door number one. Rest in peace Robair.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Courtesy games shared with Archivists, 1993-06-09: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=8793

The Judith Cahill, Gerry Schwartz Barbara Elstein

Judith was instantly recognizable and memorable from her run on SOTC. She cleared the board and retired (her husband thought it best to quit while she strongly considered going on and thought she could do it) instead of trying for an 11th victory and a $50,000 jackpot. Her departing quote was something about pigs get fat and hogs get slaughtered.

Myron, check out POLITICIANS for any possible "welcome to's.

Barbara was kind of a nightmare to archive, so it may be some time until I circle back and get her other game archived.
MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:59 pm Myron, check out POLITICIANS for any possible "welcome to's.
We welcome Howell Heflin and Robert Kerr to the J-Canon. Don't hurt yourself in your rush to get them onto flashcards. ;)

Too bad contestant Gerry didn't get the "Gerry Ford" clue at Politicians for $400.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:32 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:59 pm Myron, check out POLITICIANS for any possible "welcome to's.
We welcome Howell Heflin and Robert Kerr to the J-Canon. Don't hurt yourself in your rush to get them onto flashcards. ;)

Too bad contestant Gerry didn't get the "Gerry Ford" clue at Politicians for $400.
Heflin and I attended the same college and were even from the same part of the state. An old school yellow-dog Democrat. He might pop up in another late 1980s game but I wouldn’t hold my breath. Someone who was around at the time and followed politics would probably recognize him if they saw him.

Never heard of the Oklahoma guy and have no idea what the McGee TOM was supposed to be about.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:48 pm Never heard of the Oklahoma guy and have no idea what the McGee TOM was supposed to be about.
Kerr-McGee was a major oil exploration company based in Oklahoma. There’s also a major Oklahoma waterway named partially after Kerr.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Courtesy games shared with Archivists, 1993-06-10: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=8794

Al Lin debut, Gina Logan, Judith Cahill

Great for Al, but a shame for Judith who showed in both J! games why she did well on Sale. Other than the hassle of coming across the country she seems like the type that should have more games shows on her rap sheet.

Other archivists: This is the kind of FJ! Round where another set of eyes and ears can help to clean up my attempt at archiving it.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:51 pm Courtesy games shared with Archivists, 1993-06-10: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=8794

Al Lin debut, Gina Logan, Judith Cahill

Great for Al, but a shame for Judith who showed in both J! games why she did well on Sale. Other than the hassle of coming across the country she seems like the type that should have more games shows on her rap sheet.

Other archivists: This is the kind of FJ! Round where another set of eyes and ears can help to clean up my attempt at archiving it.
The 'v' in van Loon's name should not be capitalized.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

econgator wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:02 pm

The 'v' in van Loon's name should not be capitalized.
On it, thanks.