2022 Current Events Discussion Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: 2022 Current Events Discussion Thread

Post by alietr »

I was disappointed that Bellingcat wasn't included in the Peace Prize awards.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

More of a preliminary post in that there's no details on who to put on the new Anki slide, but...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-63332037
Liz Truss has dramatically resigned as prime minister after just 45 days in the job.
In a speech outside Downing Street, Ms Truss said: "I recognise that I cannot deliver the mandate on which I was elected by the Conservative Party."

Ms Truss said she would remain in post until a successor formally takes over as party leader and is appointed prime minister by King Charles III.

Ms Truss - who took office 44 days ago - will become the shortest-serving PM in British history when she stands down.
But does this mean the lettuce wins?
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/19/worl ... tream.html
Purchased at a Tesco grocery store for 60 pence (68 cents), the lettuce has become a caricature of the Conservative leader’s flailing hold on power, pitted against the prime minister by The Daily Star, a left-leaning British tabloid.

“Will Liz Truss outlast this lettuce?” the newspaper asks in a live video that has been running since Oct. 14, attracting bounds of viewers and comments on social media.

The lettuce gag was inspired by The Economist, which noted on Oct. 11 that between a near-immediate political implosion at the beginning of her tenure and the 10 days of mourning after Queen Elizabeth II died, her grip on power amounted to seven days, or “roughly the shelf-life of a lettuce.”
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

Didn't last long enough to be mentioned in a J! clue.

If we see one in the coming weeks, you might see one of those "this was taped before..." graphics.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Helpful infographic found on reddit:

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Giving lots of content for Season 7 of The Crown
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Volante

Post by Volante »

cinemaniax7 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:50 pm Rishi Sunak will be the UK’s next prime minister. The former hedge-fund manager turned Chancellor of the Exchequer is expected to meet Tuesday with King Charles III to be formally appointed. Sunak will be the first person of color and the first Hindu to lead the UK. At 42, he the youngest prime minister since Robert Banks Jenkinson, Earl of Liverpool, in 1812.
*buys lettuce*
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

How many lettuce are in a scaramucci?
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Volante wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:50 pm
cinemaniax7 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:50 pm Rishi Sunak will be the UK’s next prime minister. The former hedge-fund manager turned Chancellor of the Exchequer is expected to meet Tuesday with King Charles III to be formally appointed. Sunak will be the first person of color and the first Hindu to lead the UK. At 42, he the youngest prime minister since Robert Banks Jenkinson, Earl of Liverpool, in 1812.
*buys lettuce*
:lol:
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Over the weekend, I culled all the old veggies from the fridge and made a slaw and a cabbage soup. Yeah, I Trussed it. 🥬🥕🧅🧄🍅
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MattKnowles wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:34 pm How many lettuce are in a scaramucci?
I insist on giving this a reading where "lettuce" rhymes with Scaramucci.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:39 am
MattKnowles wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:34 pm How many lettuce are in a scaramucci?
To prevent chaos, I’ve learned not to question what this board says about rhymes. Suit yourself.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MattKnowles wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:21 am
seaborgium wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:39 am
To prevent chaos, I’ve learned not to question what this board says about rhymes. Suit yourself.
"uce" as in Danny Bonaduce.
Volante

Post by Volante »

Volante wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:42 am
Woof wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:03 am
Volante wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:53 am https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-63121287
This year's Nobel Prize in Physics rewards research into quantum mechanics - the science that describes nature at the smallest scales.

The award goes to Frenchman Alain Aspect, American John Clauser and Austrian Anton Zeilinger.

This year's three laureates conducted ground-breaking experiments using entangled quantum states, where two sub-atomic particles behave like a single unit even when they are separated.
Einstein called entanglement "spooky action at a distance", one of his rare misses.
I think that many physicists would agree with Einstein. All the available evidence suggests that flipping the spin of an entangled particle will result in its partner flipping its spin (because Pauli) instantaneously , no matter how distant. Thus, information seems to travel faster than the speed of light, which contradicts a tenet of relativity.
Seems.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tafGL02EUOA
(Also, I love that channel, even though I understand about 15% of it...and it keeps going down cause all they have left are advanced topics to cover :lol: )
Space Time made a followup! Apparently there's still one loophole left that allows hidden variables...
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:50 pm In the category not the Onion: Actor Rainn Wilson (Dwight from The Office) changes his name to Rainnfall Heat Wave Extreme Winter Wilson as part of climate change activism advocacy.
I don't know how to begin to process this mentally.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

cinemaniax7 wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:15 pm
Robert K S wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:50 pm In the category not the Onion: Actor Rainn Wilson (Dwight from The Office) changes his name to Rainnfall Heat Wave Extreme Winter Wilson as part of climate change activism advocacy.
Obviously, you have to make a mnemonic out of RHWEWW.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

alietr wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:23 pm
cinemaniax7 wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:15 pm
Obviously, you have to make a mnemonic out of RHWEWW.
You do not want to give up that $2000.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: 2022 Current Events Study Guide

Post by Bamaman »

cinemaniax7 wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:08 pm Taylor Swift Makes History as First Artist With Entire Top 10 on Billboard Hot 100

I hate how streaming has made the music charts largely worthless as a measurement of trends lasting more than a few moments.
If not for this post I would not have gotten the LL question about it right yesterday.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Re: 2022 Current Events Study Guide

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:56 pm
cinemaniax7 wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:08 pm Taylor Swift Makes History as First Artist With Entire Top 10 on Billboard Hot 100

I hate how streaming has made the music charts largely worthless as a measurement of trends lasting more than a few moments.
If not for this post I would not have gotten the LL question about it right yesterday.
You're welcome. :D