Inside Jeopardy podcast

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, econgator, dhkendall, trainman

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 14090
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: Inside Jeopardy podcast

Post by MarkBarrett »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:38 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:02 pm Election Day 11/8 will be special programming and not ToC.
So, they are actually not broadcasting on Election Day. No one gets pre-empted.

Would that be the first time Jeopardy! doesn't put an air slot on a weekday? I believe so.
My take on it was not the ToC and not a regular play episode, but a special ep. of J! they did not want to identify yet. It could be a clips show or it could be a behind the scenes show. Since it's before the semis it could be a practice game with the Big 3 since less-devoted viewers will be confused why they had not seen Amy, Matt and Mattea yet.

My interpretation was not that no J! would air and instead it would be whatever the stations want to show. That does not mean it won't be preempted in spots, but at least it won't be something that really matters. J! might also make it available online for everyone to see who misses it?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 8108
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Inside Jeopardy podcast

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:02 pm Billy once heard a fact about Gene Siskel getting lighted pens for gifts, but never got to use the clue on the show
I've heard about that one before.
User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 14090
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: Inside Jeopardy podcast

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:08 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:02 pm Billy once heard a fact about Gene Siskel getting lighted pens for gifts, but never got to use the clue on the show
I've heard about that one before.
A version of it is here:

https://www.avclub.com/what-s-it-like-t ... 1798277448

AVC: Have you ever had one thrown out and you say, okay, I’m going to create a new category for this because I like this piece of information so much?

BW: Oh, sure. All the time.

AVC: Can you think of an example?

BW: I’ll tell you my favorite clue that I’ve—almost my favorite clue that I’ve ever written, and I can tell you because our head writer, our executive producer, won’t use it because he didn’t like it. Let me see… [Looks it up on his computer.] “Gene Siskel said he often got these as gifts to help in his particular line of work. He never used them.” And [the answer is] “What are lighted pens?” I just love that clue. Because you can think, “What did Gene Siskel do, and what would someone give a film critic that they think he could use…” Anyway. I’ve stopped now, because I put it in about three different categories and Harry Friedman, who is the executive producer, didn’t use it. He threw it out every time. So I think I’ve given up on that one, so I give it to you.
User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 14090
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: Inside Jeopardy podcast

Post by MarkBarrett »

8/29 show with guests Ken & Mayim
Sarah was in NYC at Michael's Embassy Row offices.
First 25 shows of S39 have been completed
11/8 may break the internet and it may be tied into 2nd anniversary of Alex Trebek's death
New format for Celeb J! is still being tested, so not finalized yet
Ken & Mayim acknowledged how fans of J! have been both kind & unkind
Ken will be on season opening of Call Me Kat with the episode titled "Call Me Ken Jennings"
Mayim takes short naps on J! host taping days and shares dressing room with Ken though they are not there at same time of course
Ken was caught off guard for reaction of live studio audience for S39 and had to retape his opening
Ken and Mayim will go back and forth for hosting J! in Jan. 2023
For ToC 2nd and 3rd determined by games won. If champ wins 3 games to 0 & 0 then it's money won in games.
No wildcard for 2022 ToC but may return next year as format can change year to year depending on mix of qualified players
Michael Davies fine with no wildcards for 2022 ToC and does not care for cautious play and settling for 2nd place in QF round
If ToC finals goes just 3 games the leftover material can be reworked for regular play or held over for the next ToC.
Next week: Interview with Johnny Gilbert
User avatar
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons
Posts: 2599
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:41 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Inside Jeopardy podcast

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:24 pm If ToC finals goes just 3 games the leftover material can be reworked for regular play or held over for the next ToC.
I wonder if they ever did anything with the material that was meant to be used for the six GOAT games that weren't played.
Douglas Squasoni
User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 14090
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: Inside Jeopardy podcast

Post by MarkBarrett »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:55 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:24 pm If ToC finals goes just 3 games the leftover material can be reworked for regular play or held over for the next ToC.
I wonder if they ever did anything with the material that was meant to be used for the six GOAT games that weren't played.
3+2+2=7
3+1+0=4
7-4=3 GOAT games not played

By now I would think a lot of that material has been worked in one way or another.
User avatar
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons
Posts: 2599
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:41 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Inside Jeopardy podcast

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:56 am
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:55 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:24 pm If ToC finals goes just 3 games the leftover material can be reworked for regular play or held over for the next ToC.
I wonder if they ever did anything with the material that was meant to be used for the six GOAT games that weren't played.
3+2+2=7
3+1+0=4
7-4=3 GOAT games not played

By now I would think a lot of that material has been worked in one way or another.
3 MATCHES weren't played. 2 games per match.
Douglas Squasoni
User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 14090
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: Inside Jeopardy podcast

Post by MarkBarrett »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:34 am ...

3 MATCHES weren't played. 2 games per match.
Right, sorry. I'll never get used to hour shows.
User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 14090
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: Inside Jeopardy podcast

Post by MarkBarrett »

9/5 - "Who is Johnny Gilbert?"

1st game of ToC is 10/31 so there will be fan costume contest with a prize of photo of Ken Jennings signed by Buzzy Cohen
After recap of J! reruns from last week it's Sarah & Johnny from 8:50 to 52:00
Johnny talks about the progression of his career from singer to emcee to host to announcer with a 2 year stint in the army in the mix doing USO shows.
Johnny adored Dinah Shore & Betty White.
The initial order for Trebek J! was 13 weeks with J! talk start about the 40:00 mark.
Johnny is last original member of J! crew still with the show and fondly recalled the no pants fun in the UTOC with Brad, Jerome and Ken.
Johnny does not need reading glasses and that drove Alex crazy.
Johnny has many satin jackets and Alex gave him his first one that started it all.
Johnny is in Guinness records for longest time as announcer with one show.
**********
Fan Q&A was about DDs. They are not placed randomly and are assigned. A $1600 box one will be more difficult than one in a $800 box.
DD placement is discussed at morning meeting and DDs can be switched to different clues.
In the tiebreaker round if the first person is wrong then the other person can rebound.
If both are wrong that clue may not air due to time constraints.

Next week: Michael will talk about Celeb J! and the new format. First ep tapes Sunday 9/11.
User avatar
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons
Posts: 2599
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:41 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Inside Jeopardy podcast

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:59 pm Next week: Michael will talk about Celeb J! and the new format. First ep tapes Sunday 9/11.
Taping September 11, airing September 25. That is one heck of a short time period between taping and airing.
Douglas Squasoni
User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 14090
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: Inside Jeopardy podcast

Post by MarkBarrett »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:42 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:59 pm Next week: Michael will talk about Celeb J! and the new format. First ep tapes Sunday 9/11.
Taping September 11, airing September 25. That is one heck of a short time period between taping and airing.
https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=142

T - 1/31
A - 2/9
User avatar
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture
Posts: 2182
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:57 pm

Re: Inside Jeopardy podcast

Post by DBear »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:18 pm
seaborgium wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:08 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:02 pm Billy once heard a fact about Gene Siskel getting lighted pens for gifts, but never got to use the clue on the show
I've heard about that one before.
A version of it is here:

https://www.avclub.com/what-s-it-like-t ... 1798277448

AVC: Have you ever had one thrown out and you say, okay, I’m going to create a new category for this because I like this piece of information so much?

BW: Oh, sure. All the time.

AVC: Can you think of an example?

BW: I’ll tell you my favorite clue that I’ve—almost my favorite clue that I’ve ever written, and I can tell you because our head writer, our executive producer, won’t use it because he didn’t like it. Let me see… [Looks it up on his computer.] “Gene Siskel said he often got these as gifts to help in his particular line of work. He never used them.” And [the answer is] “What are lighted pens?” I just love that clue. Because you can think, “What did Gene Siskel do, and what would someone give a film critic that they think he could use…” Anyway. I’ve stopped now, because I put it in about three different categories and Harry Friedman, who is the executive producer, didn’t use it. He threw it out every time. So I think I’ve given up on that one, so I give it to you.
If this is what the head writer thinks is a great clue, no wonder the writing has gone to Hell over the past year. :roll: :cry:
User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 8566
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm

Re: Inside Jeopardy podcast

Post by Volante »

DBear wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:17 am
Click to expand thread
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:18 pm
seaborgium wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:08 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:02 pm Billy once heard a fact about Gene Siskel getting lighted pens for gifts, but never got to use the clue on the show
I've heard about that one before.
A version of it is here:

https://www.avclub.com/what-s-it-like-t ... 1798277448

AVC: Have you ever had one thrown out and you say, okay, I’m going to create a new category for this because I like this piece of information so much?

BW: Oh, sure. All the time.

AVC: Can you think of an example?

BW: I’ll tell you my favorite clue that I’ve—almost my favorite clue that I’ve ever written, and I can tell you because our head writer, our executive producer, won’t use it because he didn’t like it. Let me see… [Looks it up on his computer.] “Gene Siskel said he often got these as gifts to help in his particular line of work. He never used them.” And [the answer is] “What are lighted pens?” I just love that clue. Because you can think, “What did Gene Siskel do, and what would someone give a film critic that they think he could use…” Anyway. I’ve stopped now, because I put it in about three different categories and Harry Friedman, who is the executive producer, didn’t use it. He threw it out every time. So I think I’ve given up on that one, so I give it to you.
If this is what the head writer thinks is a great clue, no wonder the writing has gone to Hell over the past year. :roll: :cry:
Gene Siskel died in 1999 and the interview was done in 2015... Not exactly a "past year" issue if you thought it was a contemporary piece.

Also, it -is- a great clue...just not a 30 second clue; more of an LL clue, where you can mull it over for a while.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Addams Family Values (8), The Nutcracker and the Four Realms (4), Game Night (8), 2046 (6)
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 5346
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Re: Inside Jeopardy podcast

Post by davey »

Volante wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:53 am
DBear wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:17 am
Click to expand thread
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:18 pm
seaborgium wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:08 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:02 pm Billy once heard a fact about Gene Siskel getting lighted pens for gifts, but never got to use the clue on the show
I've heard about that one before.
A version of it is here:

https://www.avclub.com/what-s-it-like-t ... 1798277448

AVC: Have you ever had one thrown out and you say, okay, I’m going to create a new category for this because I like this piece of information so much?

BW: Oh, sure. All the time.

AVC: Can you think of an example?

BW: I’ll tell you my favorite clue that I’ve—almost my favorite clue that I’ve ever written, and I can tell you because our head writer, our executive producer, won’t use it because he didn’t like it. Let me see… [Looks it up on his computer.] “Gene Siskel said he often got these as gifts to help in his particular line of work. He never used them.” And [the answer is] “What are lighted pens?” I just love that clue. Because you can think, “What did Gene Siskel do, and what would someone give a film critic that they think he could use…” Anyway. I’ve stopped now, because I put it in about three different categories and Harry Friedman, who is the executive producer, didn’t use it. He threw it out every time. So I think I’ve given up on that one, so I give it to you.
If this is what the head writer thinks is a great clue, no wonder the writing has gone to Hell over the past year. :roll: :cry:
Gene Siskel died in 1999 and the interview was done in 2015... Not exactly a "past year" issue if you thought it was a contemporary piece.

Also, it -is- a great clue...just not a 30 second clue; more of an LL clue, where you can mull it over for a while.
Maybe it would work in a category like Illumination or some such, about sources of light.
But I can see why the EP turned it down.
User avatar
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 3835
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:26 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Inside Jeopardy podcast

Post by Robert K S »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:59 pm 9/5 - "Who is Johnny Gilbert?"

Johnny talks about the progression of his career from singer to emcee to host to announcer with a 2 year stint in the army in the mix doing USO shows.
Johnny adored Dinah Shore & Betty White.
The initial order for Trebek J! was 13 weeks with J! talk start about the 40:00 mark.
Johnny is last original member of J! crew still with the show and fondly recalled the no pants fun in the UTOC with Brad, Jerome and Ken.
Johnny does not need reading glasses and that drove Alex crazy.
Johnny has many satin jackets and Alex gave him his first one that started it all.
Johnny is in Guinness records for longest time as announcer with one show.
This sounds like a re-air of the Sarah/Johnny interview from some months ago that was posted to the official YouTube channel.

goongas
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 304
Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 10:34 pm
Location: New York, NY

Re: Inside Jeopardy podcast

Post by goongas »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:58 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:59 pm 9/5 - "Who is Johnny Gilbert?"

Johnny talks about the progression of his career from singer to emcee to host to announcer with a 2 year stint in the army in the mix doing USO shows.
Johnny adored Dinah Shore & Betty White.
The initial order for Trebek J! was 13 weeks with J! talk start about the 40:00 mark.
Johnny is last original member of J! crew still with the show and fondly recalled the no pants fun in the UTOC with Brad, Jerome and Ken.
Johnny does not need reading glasses and that drove Alex crazy.
Johnny has many satin jackets and Alex gave him his first one that started it all.
Johnny is in Guinness records for longest time as announcer with one show.
This sounds like a re-air of the Sarah/Johnny interview from some months ago that was posted to the official YouTube channel.

It was. I think they may have cut it down a little bit, not sure...
goongas
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 304
Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 10:34 pm
Location: New York, NY

Re: Inside Jeopardy podcast

Post by goongas »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:45 pm
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:42 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:59 pm Next week: Michael will talk about Celeb J! and the new format. First ep tapes Sunday 9/11.
Taping September 11, airing September 25. That is one heck of a short time period between taping and airing.
https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=142

T - 1/31
A - 2/9
Davies' claim to fame, Millionaire, used to tape at night and was edited overnight for airing the next night. Millionaire had much more edits than Jeopardy! does as well.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM
Posts: 1205
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:33 pm

Re: Inside Jeopardy podcast

Post by MattKnowles »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:24 pm 11/8 may break the internet and it may be tied into 2nd anniversary of Alex Trebek's death
Any idea what this is going to be?

I'm hoping they roll out the hologram of Alex Trebek that they've been working on.

I've seen some posts or articles in other places that speculate an exhibition game between Mattea, Matt, and Amy. That would be cool but I think 'break the internet' is a bit hyperbolish if that's all it is.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 14090
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: Inside Jeopardy podcast

Post by MarkBarrett »

MattKnowles wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:32 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:24 pm 11/8 may break the internet and it may be tied into 2nd anniversary of Alex Trebek's death
Any idea what this is going to be?

I'm hoping they roll out the hologram of Alex Trebek that they've been working on.

I've seen some posts or articles in other places that speculate an exhibition game between Mattea, Matt, and Amy. That would be cool but I think 'break the internet' is a bit hyperbolish if that's all it is.
Perhaps it will only be the Big 3 exhibition if they do not all make the finals. If it does shake out that way then J! would not want to show it early. Or it would be the perfect lead-in to the semis since their non-appearance in the QF round would confuse Joe & Jane America.

It's possible there is no mention of Alex as the show has mostly moved on past him other than the opening mention of the stage and 2nd death anniversary is not a 0 or a 5.

If the 11/8 show is not some kind of J! game then it might be like #4000 from 2002 and not get a place in the archive. That 229 instead of 230 from S18 has driven some people bonkers.
User avatar
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 3835
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:26 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Inside Jeopardy podcast

Post by Robert K S »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:56 pm If the 11/8 show is not some kind of J! game then it might be like #4000 from 2002 and not get a place in the archive. That 229 instead of 230 from S18 has driven some people bonkers.
*where "#4000" is actually #4088

As long as "break the internet" doesn't mean "break the Archive" I am fine. Not sure what we would do if it were, like, a supercut of snippets from practice games played on ToC tape days with all-new material on the boards.
Post Reply