Inside Jeopardy podcast

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Inside Jeopardy podcast

Post by Robert K S »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:42 pm Michael still feels a 2DTPA is not the best way, but he did say the last ep. of The Masters will use that format.
This is a bit different than what was talked about back in January:
[Davies] went on to say it would be a “league-based system,” with each player appearing in every episode and every one of them playing 10 games. There will be a league table keeping track of the wins, which Davies thinks “will truly unearth who is the Jeopardy master.”
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:48 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:42 pm Michael still feels a 2DTPA is not the best way, but he did say the last ep. of The Masters will use that format.
This is a bit different than what was talked about back in January:
[Davies] went on to say it would be a “league-based system,” with each player appearing in every episode and every one of them playing 10 games. There will be a league table keeping track of the wins, which Davies thinks “will truly unearth who is the Jeopardy master.”
I assume there was a back-and-forth between ABC going "I want a final" and Jeopardy! saying "OK, that's fine, but we need an 11th episode then".
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:50 pm I assume there was a back-and-forth between ABC going "I want a final" and Jeopardy! saying "OK, that's fine, but we need an 11th episode then".
Is there an 11th episode?

Do we know the prizes?
AndyTheQuizzer

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:52 pm
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:50 pm I assume there was a back-and-forth between ABC going "I want a final" and Jeopardy! saying "OK, that's fine, but we need an 11th episode then".
Is there an 11th episode?

Do we know the prizes?
We currently know nothing more than "Premieres May 8 and finishes May 24". (To me, that would fit with Monday–Thursday twice and then Monday–Wednesday the final week).
Andy Saunders
gameshowfandanny
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by gameshowfandanny »

The Futon Critic lists all of the airdates for J! Masters. Between May 8 and 24, the only weekdays where Masters will not air are 5/11, 5/18, and 5/19 (the first two of those dates are Thursdays and the last is a Friday), so it is still only 10 episodes.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

3/27/23 "What is Come-From-Behind Win?" (26:38)

Host Sarah and Buzzy who both had colds and blame rainy weather in L.A.

Wed. the 29th is Sarah's birthday.

There will not be a live podcast in NY and no reason was given. $5.90 will be donated for pancreatic cancer charity for first 10,000 who take test on the 30th, JeoparDAY. 20,199 people took it last year.

4:40 3/20/23 week of games:
Spoiler
Sarah emphasized that time was taken to confirm that Melissa said McGregor and not Gregor as so many claimed.

Charlotte wore her show jacket on her route:
Spoiler
Margaret Shelton tweeted in support of Karen who lost a lock on a missed $10,000 DD:

"Everybody who wants to talk s**t about a contestant's wager on Jeopardy!, beat it. It's tough AF up there, and we all do our damnedest to win. You get up on that stage and show me how it's done. Shout me out, k?"

Sarah said Amor Towles is a kind man.

Sarah said 007 would have been correct as well for the Thursday FJ! clue.

Alec gave credit to his parents for winning on J! and they were in the audience for the taping.

Jimmy called Michael Murphy, Kenny Rogers.

The WWE category was shot in two cities one at a Raw event and one at SmackDown. Sarah also attended a WWE event and had beer spilled on her within first 30 minutes.

James H. was mentioned as WWE fan and Buzzy said Jason Sterlacci likes AEW.

When Ken is asked during his studio audience Q&A for his dream category he says 1980s pro wrestling.

15:30 Sarah had a chance to talk to Kofi Kingston and The Miz who were taping an appearance on Celebrity Wheel of Fortune.

Kofi called it an honor and a dream to present a clue about André the Giant.

Miz said presenting a clue was as close as he could get to being on J! Even though he watches J! and has been a fan since watching with his family he is not good at getting clues right. The Miz wanted to present the category itself but Triple H got that honor.
18:35 questions - Steven asks about categories recurring even though players don't do well on them such as Football. He also recalls one on Hall & Oates (or Haulin' Oats?) that has not come up again.

Sarah explained that football has been around for decades so many things to ask about while Hall & Oates is more limited. Sarah also noted that one person's best category could be worst for another person.

Sarah also talked about writers have to check on previous clues when preparing tournament material to make sure a contestant has not in the past already had a correct response with something that could come up in tourney.

Buzzy mentioned that after taping he watched J! and that particular day's boards would not have been good for him.

Sean asks about casting super champions and whether a run can be anticipated or it's unpredictable. Sarah said she helped out the casting dept. during COVID and tested a person she thought could be next Ken Jennings. That person got on, (Sarah would not name the player), and won only one game. Barely.

All contestant coordinators think they find someone elite and it doesn't always work out that way.

James and Amy had to try out more than once to get on.

Buzzy's coffee order password is: Peterson Pick Me Up
Try it if you're in the audience and he may go get you a drink.

Peterson is the middle name of Michael Davies.

Nothing was said about Masters.

Next Week: The 3/27 week of games and how it goes for the champ from the 3/24 game.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:40 pm 18:35 questions - Steven asks about categories recurring even though players don't do well on them such as Football. He also recalls one on Hall & Oates (or Haulin' Oats?) that has not come up again.
HALL & OATES, and that's a deep cut from 1989:

https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4302

Yes, that's the reason there hasn't been a Hall & Oates category lately. Players 35 years ago just couldn't handle the material.

HOLLAND and OATS played just fine a year ago, though.

https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7242
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Sarah approvingly quoted the Margaret Shelton tweet that effectively discourages fans from any criticism of wagering. If the show wants to discourage such discussions, perhaps they should move away from the posturing that "Jeopardy is a sport". Sports are famous for all levels of minutae being dissected and debated by fans, after all.
Trevor807
Loyal Jeopardista
Location: Fort Worth, Texas (moving back to Bradley, Illinois soon)

Post by Trevor807 »

Now that I'm finally able to create an account, I agree wholeheartedly with Ironhorse. As someone who was once on the "Jeopardy! is a sport" train, the current regime needs to understand that the show was not meant to be treated like a sport.

Somewhat unrelated to the current podcast episode (since it's Buzzy/Sarah), but I've been wanting to say this for a while: As someone who was also once on the Michael Davies train (until the fiasco regarding that Bible clue), I get it, he ain't Mike Richards. But you can criticize Davies without also praising Richards; the two aren't mutually exclusive. I'm more than certain some people praised Davies because he looked good by comparison, and likely wouldn't praise Davies' gimmicks if Richards made them or if Davies followed Harry Friedman directly.

Let's be real: he's been doing a lot of things we were all hating Richards for even before Alex died (let alone the guest hosts or August 2021): gimmicks, poor clue writing, and poor judging. And his love of gimmicks proves that he learned nothing from when he added gimmicks to Millionaire, speeding up its decline (ABC overexposed it, not Davies).

Here's this image I put together expressing my thoughts on the guy when it comes to producing the show:
“Take your job seriously, but don't take yourself too seriously.” - Alex Trebek, 1940-2020

Pegasus icon by Siahri!
OrchidEntity
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by OrchidEntity »

(crosses arms and thinks)

Apologies if any of this is stating the obvious.

One can critique someone's choices in Jeopardy! without making it personal/getting too intense. I do think that Karen's wager was probably among the worst pre-FJ! wagers in recent J! history, but I can also respect that she made it to the stage and was playing fairly well until that wager, and I have nothing against her as a person. For what it's worth, a decent amount of the online criticism I saw was fair and not malicious (really, a lot of it was outright baffled at her choice/possible mental flub), but I imagine some people did go needlessly hard on her...and ugh, The New York Post with its stupid "Dumbest Player in History" hyperbole. Also, I am no longer on Twitter, but I hope that Margaret Shelton was thinking more of mindlessly caustic garbage than fair criticisms when writing that Tweet.

Should Jeopardy! be treated like a sport or not? Not really ready to take a side on that argument yet, even as someone who is a bit more partial towards watching J! games from years gone by. But no one likes a poorly written clue, so I do hope that the J! staff ups its clue writing game.
"Everything ends. Life goes on. I'll be gone. So will you. So hug people tightly. Take joy in their heartbeats and drink something cold and go play in the shade. That is all." -Bob Harris, Prisoner of Trebekistan
-
I post whatever (but mostly mushrooms and nature stuff) on Bluesky.
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

Trevor807 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:20 pm Now that I'm finally able to create an account, I agree wholeheartedly with Ironhorse. As someone who was once on the "Jeopardy! is a sport" train, the current regime needs to understand that the show was not meant to be treated like a sport.

Somewhat unrelated to the current podcast episode (since it's Buzzy/Sarah), but I've been wanting to say this for a while: As someone who was also once on the Michael Davies train (until the fiasco regarding that Bible clue), I get it, he ain't Mike Richards. But you can criticize Davies without also praising Richards; the two aren't mutually exclusive. I'm more than certain some people praised Davies because he looked good by comparison, and likely wouldn't praise Davies' gimmicks if Richards made them or if Davies followed Harry Friedman directly.

Let's be real: he's been doing a lot of things we were all hating Richards for even before Alex died (let alone the guest hosts or August 2021): gimmicks, poor clue writing, and poor judging. And his love of gimmicks proves that he learned nothing from when he added gimmicks to Millionaire, speeding up its decline (ABC overexposed it, not Davies).

Here's this image I put together expressing my thoughts on the guy when it comes to producing the show:
Speaking of memes, how about one of Regina George saying "Stop trying to make 'Jeopardy! is a sport' happen"?
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

OrchidEntity wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:59 pm I do hope that the J! staff ups its clue writing game.
But to what extent are all of these additional prime time episodes, on top of syndicated episodes, taxing the production staff in general?
Trevor807
Loyal Jeopardista
Location: Fort Worth, Texas (moving back to Bradley, Illinois soon)

Post by Trevor807 »

Carpe Diem wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:47 pm Speaking of memes, how about one of Regina George saying "Stop trying to make 'Jeopardy! is a sport' happen"?
Got you covered:
“Take your job seriously, but don't take yourself too seriously.” - Alex Trebek, 1940-2020

Pegasus icon by Siahri!
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I love these memes! (Keep 'em coming!)

But if I get druthers, I'll take Mr. Davies's moderate-level tinkering and enthusiastic faux-superfanhood over the "Fans? What do we need fans for? We've got advertisers" attitude that seemed to prevail during the Friedman era. To speak nothing of the unspeakable administration of the previous guy.
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

Just listened to the JeoparDAY episode, and it is confirmed that Season 40 is going to start with tournaments, beginning with Second Chance. And there will be a new event between SC and ToC, billed as Champions Wild Card. After ToC, regular games begin.
jev15
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jev15 »

Michael Davies needs to hire someone who will tell him no. A ten-week long postseason tournament is nearly a quarter of the full-season and will really reduce the number of new players who get their opportunity.
AndyTheQuizzer

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

jev15 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:09 pm Michael Davies needs to hire someone who will tell him no. A ten-week long postseason tournament is nearly a quarter of the full-season and will really reduce the number of new players who get their opportunity.
Pigs have a better chance of flying.
Andy Saunders
davey

Post by davey »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:29 pm
jev15 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:09 pm Michael Davies needs to hire someone who will tell him no. A ten-week long postseason tournament is nearly a quarter of the full-season and will really reduce the number of new players who get their opportunity.
Pigs have a better chance of flying.
Isn't the person who tells someone no the one who hired him?
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

jeopardyfan939 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:43 pm Just listened to the JeoparDAY episode, and it is confirmed that Season 40 is going to start with tournaments, beginning with Second Chance. And there will be a new event between SC and ToC, billed as Champions Wild Card. After ToC, regular games begin.
To add to this, the structure is: the SCC winner will not go directly to the ToC, but instead will compete in the Champions Wild Card, which will otherwise be populated by 1-, 2-, or 3-time winners. No one's disqualified for lobbying.

The CWC is supposed to see the return of every single non-ToC qualifying champion from the last season. How many is that? Specifically mentioned as being invited for the CWC: Martha Bath, Lloyd Sy, Andy Tirrell, and Erin Portman.
RetiredDoc

Post by RetiredDoc »

Maybe it can just be: All Tournaments! All The Time!