LL Season 94

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

mennoknight
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: LL Season 94

Post by mennoknight »

econgator wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:47 am Can't say I've ever heard of that card game. Always interesting to see what I think is hard, but most everyone else finds easy.
not really a card game...more a board game with cards. My kids and I play it 2 nights a week...pretty slam dunk over here.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

econgator wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:47 am Can't say I've ever heard of that card game. Always interesting to see what I think is hard, but most everyone else finds easy.
It's not really a card game:

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

This season had played easier than normal for me, but I came tumbling back down to earth yesterday with a 2(1)-5(3) loss. Moulin Rouge was my only get.

I had the Guess Who game when I was a kid and remember seeing the commercials, but I could not for the life of me remember what the game was called.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

My kids had Guess Who and I played it with them. So long ago, I couldn't pull the name. It has been a very long time (if ever) that I got only one right (Aaland).
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

StevenH wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:46 am ...

I had the Guess Who game when I was a kid and remember seeing the commercials, but I could not for the life of me remember what the game was called.
I had the Guess Who game when I was an adult and remember seeing the commercials, but I could not for the life of me remember what the game was called.

To not have a blank I typed "Face Off". It cost me 0 points and my opponent collected 3 on it. Fortunately, I still won 5(3)-4(3) since I got 3 for Michael and no way I was missing (1 pt) for The Equalizer and Moulin Rouge!.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I didn't know that game, either. I convinced myself there was a board game called "Party Line." Apparently not, but there should be. :D
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Also, is there a reason I should have known Michael? What was so special about Michael and that time frame?
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I missed grub and said larva. Good clue. Got to learn something interesting. There are a lot of different types of larva with specific names. Somehow I never picked that up before.
This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:55 am
I didn't know that game, either. I convinced myself there was a board game called "Party Line." Apparently not, but there should be. :D
There's one called "Party Lines". I've never played it but it sounds familiar.
econgator wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:34 pm Also, is there a reason I should have known Michael? What was so special about Michael and that time frame?
It was the most popular name for 4 decades!
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

MattKnowles wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:42 pm I missed grub and said larva. Good clue. Got to learn something interesting. There are a lot of different types of larva with specific names. Somehow I never picked that up before.

There are several "phone" games from the 80s, kind of similar genre to Guess Who though more aimed at girls: Dream Phone and Girl Talk: Date Line are two of them. There were also various guessing games like Mystery Date which dates back to the 60s.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

This has to be a record of some sort: on q6 (Guess Who?), every rundle level (A-R) had a correct percentage from 71 to 74.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

jeff6286 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:50 pm
MattKnowles wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:42 pm I missed grub and said larva. Good clue. Got to learn something interesting. There are a lot of different types of larva with specific names. Somehow I never picked that up before.

There are several "phone" games from the 80s, kind of similar genre to Guess Who though more aimed at girls: Dream Phone and Girl Talk: Date Line are two of them. There were also various guessing games like Mystery Date which dates back to the 60s.
Mystery Date was my first thought for that question before I decided that it was a game that I’d never heard of (correct).
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Little did my opponent know, my first job was at an offset printing location!

I'm starting to question the usefulness of BBC's RSS news feeds...

Also, this blasted strength of schedule. There's others in my rundle who've given up -10- fewer CAA... grr...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

I finally beat my LL "nemesis"! I had been 0-7-3 against her over the years, snatching defeat or tie from the jaws of victory with bad defense more than once. Took a lucky guess of 'people' on the last Q to get 3, and I still gave her a 0 on something she missed, but I won 7(5)-4(3).
Volante

Post by Volante »

Midseason thingy going on now
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Always happy to do my part even if it meant nothing overall: https://www.learnedleague.com/oneday/cl ... &Serengeti
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Turned a win into a tie after not getting credit for Brittany Grimer (should be Brittney Griner). Ouch.

The only coconut-adjacent dessert with a national name that I could think of was Samoas. I like that clue, I didn't know German Chocolate Cake was named after a person named German.

I'm in 1st place in my C rundle but it's very precarious since there are 5 people that could overtake me by tomorrow.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Volante

Post by Volante »

MattKnowles wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:26 am Turned a win into a tie after not getting credit for Brittany Grimer (should be Brittney Griner). Ouch.
It's also not spelled A'ja Wilson. (Stupid WNBA finals articles putting actual players' names into my memory! :lol: )
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Usually 5 correct is good for a win in D rundle, but not yesterday.

I had heard the story about Griner being imprisoned in Russia, but I was never going to remember her name.

I am 6th in TCA in my rundle and have the best defensive percentage, but have the second most CAA and am only 3 spots above the relegation zone.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I pulled out a sneaky 6(4)-6(5) tie yesterday mainly because my opponent strangely gave me three points for Brittany Griner (he got zero from me for that one).
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:12 am I pulled out a sneaky 6(4)-6(5) tie yesterday mainly because my opponent strangely gave me three points for Brittany Griner (he got zero from me for that one).
It seems that a number of people (somewhat) intentionally got that one wrong, due to indignation about the question content. Nose, say goodbye to face.