LL Season 94

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: LL Season 94

Post by Volante »

Tied for most TMP. Tied for most TCA. Middle of the pack.

This must be what real A-rundlers (e.g., not me, an AAAA player who can sometimes sneak in) feel like all the time :lol:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:48 pm Sylvia Plath at 49% vs Anne Sexton at 11% has to rank pretty high for the largest ratio of MCWA. Definitely had to be a YEKIOYD.
Nailed that one. LOLd at the MCWA — not that there’s anything funny about suicide :|
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:37 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:48 pm Sylvia Plath at 49% vs Anne Sexton at 11% has to rank pretty high for the largest ratio of MCWA. Definitely had to be a YEKIOYD.
Nailed that one. LOLd at the MCWA — not that there’s anything funny about suicide :|
You never watched Harold and Maude?
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

alietr wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:01 pm
morbeedo wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:37 pm
You never watched Harold and Maude?
Ha! It’s been a minute. Need to revisit.
mrparadise
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mrparadise »

I looked and looked for some kind of a hint for the Mexican martyrs but found nada. Took a guess and was rewarded with three points but still lost. Maybe Thorston was thinking irony? I'm curious as to how many actually knew of them. Very few I would guess.
Volante

Post by Volante »

mrparadise wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:21 pm I looked and looked for some kind of a hint for the Mexican martyrs but found nada. Took a guess and was rewarded with three points but still lost. Maybe Thorston was thinking irony? I'm curious as to how many actually knew of them. Very few I would guess.
Can only hope you're not planning any vacations to Mexico any time soon... Might as well ask, "Who knows George Washington? Very few I would guess."
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

mrparadise wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:21 pm I looked and looked for some kind of a hint for the Mexican martyrs but found nada. Took a guess and was rewarded with three points but still lost. Maybe Thorston was thinking irony? I'm curious as to how many actually knew of them. Very few I would guess.
I remember learning about Miguel Hidalgo in one of my high school Spanish classes. That's the only reason that I got it.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Volante wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:41 pm
Can only hope you're not planning any vacations to Mexico any time soon... Might as well ask, "Who knows George Washington? Very few I would guess."
The city (and treaty) of Guadalupe Hidalgo is named after him.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I was surprised by the low get rate on Rip Van Winkle. Early 1800s, a story about someone who is a layabout? WECIB?
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I had "bicycle" typed in. Then I second guessed myself with "rickshaw." It ended up being the difference between a win and a loss.

I also failed to RTFQ and thought that "Super Freak" was the answer to the pop music question. I didn't know it, but if I had realized that that was not the correct answer then I probably would not have given my opponent a 0 for it (they missed it).
Volante

Post by Volante »

Amusingly, this was yesterday's J! a day clue:
"A merge brought the '-CIO,' but first there was the AFL, which stood for this"

Opponent and I each missed one. I missed the one obvious for me (though I ended up just being a word shy). They missed bicycle...the only one I thought was a sure thing... :roll:
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

alietr wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:07 am I was surprised by the low get rate on Rip Van Winkle. Early 1800s, a story about someone who is a layabout? WECIB?
I had "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" typed in first then realized that was a different story and changed it before submitting. But, yeah, early 19th century layabout points to ole Rip pretty decidedly! Turns out "Sleepy Hollow" was published in the same book, by the way.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:43 am
alietr wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:07 am I was surprised by the low get rate on Rip Van Winkle. Early 1800s, a story about someone who is a layabout? WECIB?
I had "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" typed in first then realized that was a different story and changed it before submitting. But, yeah, early 19th century layabout points to ole Rip pretty decidedly! Turns out "Sleepy Hollow" was published in the same book, by the way.
Rip for me getting three points while my opponent did not get the 3 assigned. Perhaps it plays better for J! alums?
RoJo
Contributor

Post by RoJo »

Congratulations to Teapot on the 14th place finish in the Championship! You've done APiedmont proud! (unlike... well, it would be unPC to mention him) I had my best finish yet; I haven't kicked myself around yet by calculating what optimal money was. Turns out I was incubating COVID when I had my session, but I felt weirdly clear-headed. My symptoms kicked in the next night, and I tested positive the night after that. Don't take this as an endorsement of COVID as a performance-enhancer.
--RoJo
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

RoJo wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:48 pm Congratulations to Teapot on the 14th place finish in the Championship! You've done APiedmont proud! (unlike... well, it would be unPC to mention him) I had my best finish yet; I haven't kicked myself around yet by calculating what optimal money was. Turns out I was incubating COVID when I had my session, but I felt weirdly clear-headed. My symptoms kicked in the next night, and I tested positive the night after that. Don't take this as an endorsement of COVID as a performance-enhancer.
--RoJo
I ended up doing mine on my first day with CoViD. Couldn't claim to be affected by any symptoms, but if I'd done poorly, you bet that would've been my excuse.
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

Volante wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:41 pm
Must be one of those darn gaps in my education, thanks for bringing it to my attention, I spent the morning trying to rectify, still working on it. Actually since the get rate was 21% and many of those were probably - like mine - guesses, I seem to have plenty of company.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

RoJo wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:48 pm Congratulations to Teapot on the 14th place finish in the Championship! You've done APiedmont proud! (unlike... well, it would be unPC to mention him) I had my best finish yet; I haven't kicked myself around yet by calculating what optimal money was. Turns out I was incubating COVID when I had my session, but I felt weirdly clear-headed. My symptoms kicked in the next night, and I tested positive the night after that. Don't take this as an endorsement of COVID as a performance-enhancer.
--RoJo
And mahatma in 11th!
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

I listen to American top 40 on the net once a week at work. Usually all day on Wednesdays. It takes three hours and I get through it about 3 times. Don't get me wrong, its on so low I can barely hear it, but any song on there for a couple of months sticks. It does keep me up on current music, which is what I am after.

Nicki Minaj, number one hit in August. I was lost. I hadn't heard anything from her that I could remember. BTW, Kate Bush "Running Up that Hill" its been in the top 10 for over a month now based on being in Stranger Things. Its a song released in the 80's. It has learned league written all over it. Thank me later if it comes up.

After submitting "Superfreaky" based on the Rick James song, no I did not get credit for that guess I went through the weekly top 40 every week since the end of July. "Superfreaky Girl" is not in the top 40 once.

I thought AT40 was based on Billboards top songs for the week. Apparently not.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Sherm wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:23 am I thought AT40 was based on Billboards top songs for the week. Apparently not.
It used to be back in the classic era with Casey Kasem, but now it uses proprietary lists that are compiled by Mediabase, presumably based primarily on radio airplay.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Can't say I've ever heard of that card game. Always interesting to see what I think is hard, but most everyone else finds easy.