LL Season 94

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: LL Season 94

Post by Volante »

Drat. Analgeic wasn't accepted...didn't realize I typoed it until after I submitted. Not that it would've mattered score wise, but that one stung
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I'm 2/18 on the questions this week and am in the relegation zone now. There is never a good time to regress to the mean, but given that I wasn't able to capitalize on being above my average TCA for most of the season this is really not looking good for me.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I knew Jerome K. Jerome; I thought he was pretty obscure and would have been inclined to give the question a 3 regardless of my opponent's stats, but I was up against VeredJ. I didn't want to automatically assume someone named Jerome would get it right, but I didn't want to lose because I gave 3 points to someone for his own first name. My best compromise was to give it a 2. He got it right and scored 4(4), as I did.
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Lefty »

Volante wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:32 am Drat. Analgeic wasn't accepted...didn't realize I typoed it until after I submitted. Not that it would've mattered score wise, but that one stung
I remember Chuck Forrest, back in the day, rebounding off an "analgesiac". On the other hand, he once lost ground with a "Dionysius". One man in his time plays many parts.
I'm smart and I want respect.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I’m trying to sign up for all the off-season mini-leagues but I’m not able to register for “Medicine in Popular Culture”. Am I too late to sign up or too early or technical glitch or...?
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MattKnowles wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:09 pm I’m trying to sign up for all the off-season mini-leagues but I’m not able to register for “Medicine in Popular Culture”. Am I too late to sign up or too early or technical glitch or...?
Registration isn't open for that one yet.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MattKnowles wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:09 pm I’m trying to sign up for all the off-season mini-leagues but I’m not able to register for “Medicine in Popular Culture”. Am I too late to sign up or too early or technical glitch or...?
Update: Registration for that one is now open.
Volante

Post by Volante »

Well.
I'm now in 4th. The three above me are locked in. 7th and below are locked out. 5th and 6th play each other Monday.
If I win, I'm promoted.
If I lose, the winner of 5v6 is promoted.
(There's also a small and annoying collection of low probability Feymann diagrams that involve ties, but those lessen the drama)
NO PRESSURE AT ALL
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

I know its all fluky type stuff but

LL92 I’m in first place on day 23. Going into day 25 I’m in third place playing 4th. I’m one of two people in the rookie league that answers five correct, nobody gets a 6 pack. I lost 8(5)-7(5) and finish in 4th.

LL93. I’m in either 1st or 2nd place from day 9 to day 21. Going into day 22, I’m in 2nd four points clear of 3rd place. I finish with four straight losses to finish in 4th.

LL94. The top of the board has been very tight this entire season. I’m in 1st place on day 23. One loss and I’m in 4th. I have 29. The top three all have 30. I’m 2nd in the league in TCA. Who by chance is in 1st. The guy I am up against in day 25 who only trails me due to MPD. I lose and I won’t finish 4th because I’ll have 5th locked up. A tie and I’ll most likely advance, any of the top three lose and I have them on MPD. Based on the way things are going. I’m toast on Monday.

Someday, I will be in the B rundle.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I was #7 going into MD25, with #2-6 within my reach, in my A rundle where a top 3 finish would qualify me for next year's championship. #6 and I were the only ones in the top 7 who won our match, and we jumped up to #2 and #3 respectively. That was a fun surprise!
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

MattKnowles wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:26 am Turned a win into a tie after not getting credit for Brittany Grimer (should be Brittney Griner). Ouch.
Assuming everything else would have stayed the same, using the letter "m" instead of "n" on this clue ultimately cost me a promotion this season.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I'm glad the season is over. It was my worst season for TCA since LL64 and my worst for DE since LL83. On the plus side I still managed to stay well above the relegation line by finishing in 17th place.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

In my quest to seek the holy grail of the B rundle. I finished day 25 with a much undeserved (5)3-4(4) win making my promotion a foredrawn conclusion as I knew, “Sherm, it is your destiny” and yet as I started the day there were no celebratory balloons at my doorstep or even an email from the esteemed Thorsten A. Integrity stating in reply to my constant quest, “You have chosen wisely.”

I want to say one word to you, no not plastics, research. Going through the previous days of LL94 and having only three players all one point ahead of me I knew that with a tie I would get promoted 79.2% of the time and with a win, promotion was certain 91.2% of the time. Of course, research is like sex panther, 60% of the time it works every time.

Upon looking at the final standings I felt like a Ballchinian that had been kicked in the lower mandible as I swear, I heard a voice that had a lisp and an Italian accent saying, “Inconceivable”. Alas, I have finished 4th for the 3rd time in a row. I’m reminded of the time my uncle told me, “That with great power comes great responsibility.” I must not be ready for neither the power nor the responsibility of the B rundle just yet. I will keep trying. A teacher from years ago told me, “This is not tournament, this is for real.” I approach learnedleague with this knowledge every day.

Regardless, being from Pennsylvania, I was somewhere around State College when the drugs began to take hold. Well, just weak anti-depressants, as I cope with knowing there can be only one. OK, actually three that get promoted to the B rundle, and my heart will go on as I look forward to LL95.

Afterall, tomorrow is another day.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Next season I will be in E rundle for the first time in my LL career. I finished in the middle of the pack in my rundle in TCA and had the best defensive percentage, but I had the most CAA by 3 questions. It also looks like I was the 1,785th least lucky LLama this season, so at least I can largely blame it on bad luck!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

The questions were not good to me this season. Only 4 times did I have more than 3 correct.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I've seen a couple of posts about it being a bad season but I had my 3rd best TCA of 70 to lead the humble Taiga E Div 1 by 7 CA. Good for 6th place with my stellar 0.536 DE, which was next to last.
I liked several of the questions this season that seemed more swaggable than usual.

I hope to post the private rundle chaos results soon, but it has been all mahatma, all the time! The guy just knows how to win. And to lose :).

eta: It is a clean sweep on the podium in all three categories (PCAA, UfPA, and anti-DE) for mahatma with three golds, BigDaddyMatty with three silver, and twelvefootsis with three bronze. Easy to do the points at 3,6,9. Twelvefootsis is a NPC, and jjwaymee edged out NoWhammies 10 by a point for the bronze.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

I had six 9(6)es this season, which I think is a record for me, but four of them were ties. I wound up in the relegation zone in A Quetzal.
Volante

Post by Volante »

Finally bothered to look up my luck. Pretty darn close to the middle.

Which is hilarious considering my record: 13-9-3... with a 10W streak in the middle
All averaged out I guess :lol:
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I'd swear TI is a J! staff writer, because a lot of LL clues have come up over the past few weeks.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

My first ever 1DS "Songs About Events That Happened to the Songwriter" goes live tomorrow. Admittedly, you should be well versed in what's now called Classic Rock to do well. I hope people give it a try and enjoy the challenge!