Monday, September 12, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, econgator, dhkendall, trainman

RetiredDoc
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 127
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:04 pm

Re: Monday, September 12, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by RetiredDoc »

Good game by Luigi

Bells and towers - must be The Hunchback of Notre Dame
User avatar
mikebdoss
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 279
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:36 pm

Re: Monday, September 12, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by mikebdoss »

For the $1000 clue in Chump Change ("Change 2 letters to get this metal fastener"), I had "crimp". Oxford has "a small connecting piece for crimping wires or lines together" as one of the definitions. Judges?
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM
Posts: 1205
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:33 pm

Re: Monday, September 12, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MattKnowles »

Nice to see new episodes again. I forgot to try to predict which clues would have the DDs and missed several. For FJ I initially thought of the Bronte sisters and then figured it out and I barely had time to write down the full response. Luigi knows a lot and we might see him around for a while. It will take a strong competitor to beat him.
DysonSphere wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:27 pm I always heard that the buzzer unlocks after the last spoken word. In this game, the contestants seemed to ring in well before Ken finished the clues. Is that due to editing, or are they unlocking the buzzer earlier?
I didn't notice that. I always like to imagine that they cut to the contestant at the same time that the buzzer unlocks and I try to time myself on that.
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:58 pm When does box score normally come out?
I think it usually goes up at 07:30 pm pacific time after it finishes airing in Los Angeles. I'm not completely sure if that's true. I don't think preemptions affect it.
mikebdoss wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:56 am For the $1000 clue in Chump Change ("Change 2 letters to get this metal fastener"), I had "crimp". Oxford has "a small connecting piece for crimping wires or lines together" as one of the definitions. Judges?
Yea that works.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 9469
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Monday, September 12, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

MattKnowles wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:02 am Nice to see new episodes again. I forgot to try to predict which clues would have the DDs and missed several.
I picked all three DD categories correctly! I've stopped trying to predict which specific clue since the strategy is the same regardless. It varies from season to season, but this is one good way. You start second row from the bottom. Then, for SJ you move to the clue below it then the clue above it. For DJ you reverse that, checking the row above first then the row below. If it's not in one of those three rows, hunt for the DD in a different category. In today's game, this strategy gets me two DDs on the first try and one DD on the second try. For last season, this strategy works for DJ except you should also check row 2; and for SJ, oddly, you'd have been better off starting off in row 3. Season before that, the strategy works for SJ, but for DJ you should start in row 3.

So the basic strategy is, pick where to DD hunt, hunt in the bottom 3 rows but don't check row 5 first and maybe also include row 2 in DJ.
clt013
J! and SJ! Pool Participant
Posts: 890
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:56 pm
Location: Center Point, IA

Re: Monday, September 12, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by clt013 »

threearruda wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:14 pm
Thanks to clt013 as there's a chance I miss I-10 without all those TD games that got me thinking about interstates.
Wow - after dramatic wins for my favorite MLB and NFL teams and a rare Iowa-based clue on J!, seeing that something helpful actually came out of one of my TDs was the cherry on top of a great Monday evening. :)
User avatar
DavidRosen
Valued Contributor
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:14 pm

Re: Monday, September 12, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by DavidRosen »

JeopardyFan#9821 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:38 pm
DysonSphere wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:27 pm I always heard that the buzzer unlocks after the last spoken word. In this game, the contestants seemed to ring in well before Ken finished the clues. Is that due to editing, or are they unlocking the buzzer earlier?
It’s more due to editing. There were quite a few technical issues throughout the morning taping session, so maybe it’s in part due to that?
I also hadn't noticed that. The buzzers unlock when a light goes on next to the board in the studio. The home audience doesn't see that. The buzzer skill lies in getting the rhythm of how soon the light will go on after the host finishes reading.
merica
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 156
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:11 pm

Re: Monday, September 12, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by merica »

clt013 wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:33 am
threearruda wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:14 pm
Thanks to clt013 as there's a chance I miss I-10 without all those TD games that got me thinking about interstates.
Wow - after dramatic wins for my favorite MLB and NFL teams and a rare Iowa-based clue on J!, seeing that something helpful actually came out of one of my TDs was the cherry on top of a great Monday evening. :)
Go Seahawks! At least they won't be winless this season. :lol:
Foretopman
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 442
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:22 pm
Location: Chicago area

Re: Monday, September 12, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Foretopman »

All KInds of Doors $600: The 80-mile-long Door Peninsula separates Wisconsin's Green Bay from the rest of this Great Lake

I'm from Chicago. In all my years I've never heard anyone call it the "Door Peninsula"; it's always the "Door County Peninsula". Does anyone here have more local knowledge?
User avatar
idearat
Contributor
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 11:47 pm
Location: Gilroy, CA

Re: Monday, September 12, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by idearat »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:26 pm Today I learned that Hudson Bay is sometimes called Hudson's Bay. Good to know.
I wondered about that. It looks like they gave it to him since the body of water they asked for is called "Hudson Bay", but the store they referred to is "Hudson's Bay Company" He gave the name of the company. Since the company name is in reference to the body of water but not named the same, he probably should have been given the benefit of the doubt.
Just waiting for the call.
User avatar
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire
Posts: 1479
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:27 pm

Re: Monday, September 12, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by trainman »

MattKnowles wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:02 am
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:58 pm When does box score normally come out?
I think it usually goes up at 07:30 pm pacific time after it finishes airing in Los Angeles. I'm not completely sure if that's true. I don't think preemptions affect it.
The J! folks start "spoiling" stuff on social media at 8:00 P.M. Pacific, which is after the (scheduled) air time everywhere in the country, including Alaska and Hawaii.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 5346
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Re: Monday, September 12, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey »

idearat wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:38 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:26 pm Today I learned that Hudson Bay is sometimes called Hudson's Bay. Good to know.
I wondered about that. It looks like they gave it to him since the body of water they asked for is called "Hudson Bay", but the store they referred to is "Hudson's Bay Company" He gave the name of the company. Since the company name is in reference to the body of water but not named the same, he probably should have been given the benefit of the doubt.
You can find old maps marked Hudson's Bay so I think that's why he was properly ruled correct. Company was an unnecessary addendum.
https://cdnhistorybits.wordpress.com/20 ... dobbs-map/
User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 9469
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Monday, September 12, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

idearat wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:38 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:26 pm Today I learned that Hudson Bay is sometimes called Hudson's Bay. Good to know.
I wondered about that. It looks like they gave it to him since the body of water they asked for is called "Hudson Bay", but the store they referred to is "Hudson's Bay Company" He gave the name of the company. Since the company name is in reference to the body of water but not named the same, he probably should have been given the benefit of the doubt.
If that was their reasoning, I disagree with it. But I think the outcome was correct because, as Wikipedia notes, Hudson Bay is "sometimes called Hudson's Bay (usually historically)".
Post Reply