Tuesday, September 13, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, econgator, dhkendall, trainman

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Tuesday, September 13, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium »

bluejaylink wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:42 pm
seaborgium wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:55 pm
bluejaylink wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:24 pm From the ALPHABETICALLY NEXT category:

"As president:
Carter,
Cleveland..."

I said "Cleveland".

Judges?
Cleveland is not "alphabetically next" after Cleveland.
It is when you sort this table alphabetically:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_p ... Presidents

I think Cleveland would be an acceptable answer. Joe Biden is called the 46th president. If you listed those 46 presidents and sorted them alphabetically you'd have Cleveland coming up next.
The fact that one Cleveland would come first in such a table is not an indication that a name follows itself alphabetically, but a demonstration of the limitations of linear sorting. If there's a tie between A and B for the lead on a leaderboard and C is after that, it would be wrong to say that A is next after B or vice versa; it is equally true that C is next after A and C is next after B. Likewise, Clinton is next after Cleveland and Clinton is next after Cleveland alphabetically among US presidents.
idearat
Contributor

Post by idearat »

I thought Cleveland as well, knowing he was the 22nd and 24th president. Other multi-term presidents are referred to by their first number, not two numbers even if there are two inaugurations. By that term of reference, he was two presidents. To make it more muddled what comes after Adams? Or Bush?
The clue writers shouldn't have stopped on Cleveland.
Just waiting for the call.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

idearat wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:01 am I thought Cleveland as well, knowing he was the 22nd and 24th president. Other multi-term presidents are referred to by their first number, not two numbers even if there are two inaugurations. By that term of reference, he was two presidents. To make it more muddled what comes after Adams? Or Bush?
The clue writers shouldn't have stopped on Cleveland.
Adams, J.
Adams, J. Q.
Bush, G. H. W.
Bush, G. W.
Not comparable since they are different people.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

It is disappointing that contestants don't come here frequently anymore. They go to reddit regularly. The general attitude on reddit seems to be that JBoard is full of assholes. Luigi commented on reddit "F those guys" in reference to JBoard.

It's kind of unfair because I think more than 90% of the posters on here are very positive towards the contestants and aren't assholes. But there are a handful of people that constantly post negative comments. There are 2 people that post very negative comments on basically every single thread. I think people see those posts and assume that's the tone of JBoard in general. It would help the board's reputation if the moderators would ban them or force them to clean up their act.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

I don't wanna make a reddit account... :cry:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Addams Family Values (8), The Nutcracker and the Four Realms (4), Game Night (8), 2046 (6)
davey

Post by davey »

Volante wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:09 pm I don't wanna make a reddit account... :cry:
Me neither. I'm surprised - this is the first I've heard that there are no assholes there.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I don't think anyone had anything against the players in the SCT or expanded TOC. They just weren't fans of the concept.
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

davey wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:41 pm
Volante wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:09 pm I don't wanna make a reddit account... :cry:
Me neither. I'm surprised - this is the first I've heard that there are no assholes there.
Jboard>>>>>>>reddit

r/jeopardy should really be renamed r/KJenningsfanboys . Jboard keeps the discussion about jeopardy. Honestly shocked that anyone would think the subreddit is highbrow compared to this board.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MattKnowles wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:56 pm It is disappointing that contestants don't come here frequently anymore. They go to reddit regularly. The general attitude on reddit seems to be that JBoard is full of assholes.
Which is really strange to me. I lasted a week on the Reddit board and came to that conclusion about them. Lower quality discussion and more jerks. Plus a total crap interface as opposed to here where the interface is... not great.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

davey wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:41 pm Me neither. I'm surprised - this is the first I've heard that there are no assholes there.
There's a lot of variation in the r/world, and it's come a long way since the days when it was basically Twitter without a character limit. That was probably before Twitter was a thing.

If you look here when there are contestants, people are on their best behavior. So the experience with Tuesday's game over there (a great discussion with all three contestants) is the model for what a Jeopardy board can be.

I understand their point. While 90% of the discussion here is in that same vein, there are comments that wouldn't be made directly to contestants, and that's off-putting. I've done it myself a couple of times, and I'll consider this a good reminder to self-edit one more time before posting (though I know I will fail if I watch the celebrity version). That small number of comments can spoil the broth.

However, Golf has also done something positive that most of us, myself included, have not. I assume he's JBoardie of the Month because he helps support the board financially. And if enough of us did that, the moderators could upgrade to a better server and there wouldn't be downtime. Or perhaps even have more time to spend on making phpBB everything it can be (I like the page display here better, but the in-comment interface is something Reddit has steadily improved upon with its own software).

Being smaller and requiring a more conscious effort to find and join, JBoard is going to have a different vibe. I'm sorry that Luigi and others want to F- us, and I don't blame them at all for coming to April's defense, especially since she's been quite gracious in expressing her feelings and what happened to her is something we can all understand. But I don't think JBoard is a bad place and simple reminders like this, even rough ones like finishemzoe's - I know I'm likely not someone he or she would want to see on the show (not that I'd annihilate anyone, I just want to get a tryout and hopefully get on the show and not finish in the negative) - are warranted from time to time. On Reddit as well, no doubt, when contestants aren't on the item.
Golf
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by Golf »

Going through the reddit thread Luigi stated the following regarding his FJ wager. It would have been easier had he been behind, he would have simply wagered everything or nearly so. The rationale was that he was already behind so might was well bet it all.