Thursday, September 15, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, econgator, dhkendall, trainman

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, September 15, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists

Re: Thursday, September 15, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
Archivists

Post by Archivists »

theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
U.S. COLLEGES & UNIVERSITIES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Founded as a technical institute in 1900, its sports teams are the Tartans & its official mascot is a Scottish Terrier

Luigi de Guzman: 32500-7000=25500 (5x = $140,700)
Annabel Osburn: 12400-2600=9800
Gilad Avrahami: 6400-6000=400

Correct response:
Spoiler
Carnegie Mellon (Luigi – NJIT) (Annabel – Notre Dame) (Gilad – Glasgow)

Daily Doubles
Gilad: 400+1000
Luigi: 19000+3500
Luigi: 26500+6000

Coryats
Luigi: 25400
Annabel: 12400
Gilad: 6000

Combined: 43,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Luigi: 4600
Annabel: 5200
Gilad: 3200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Luigi got the lock and the sacred five wins to start the season with an impressive run. What Luigi did not do was always keep the category (or clue hint) in mind, lay off negging, paying attention that DD3 was in play and when finding it then jeopardizing his runaway on DJ30.

Annabel liked the fun stuff and there was enough of it that LSV may not have a perfecto today. It got to a point that I was calling clues where Annabel would ring in first.

The FJ! clue gave me my first Hammer of the season with no response. I was all over the place from Texas A&M, Georgia Tech, MIT, and even briefly off the category with McGill. The last one gave me the inspiration to attempt to think of a MAC school and that went nowhere as well.

If that clue is regular play then contestants and myself are going to have trouble spots throughout the season.
MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I just went "Scottish" to Carnegie.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:41 pm The FJ! clue gave me my first Hammer of the season with no response. I was all over the place from Texas A&M, Georgia Tech, MIT, and even briefly off the category with McGill. The last one gave me the inspiration to attempt to think of a MAC school and that went nowhere as well.

If that clue is regular play then contestants and myself are going to have trouble spots throughout the season.
I stumbled around Louisiana, figuring it had to do w/the Acadians. Finally guessed LA Tech. No way I was getting the correct response. :(
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Since it's getting mentions at TJF and Reddit, here is the show error:
Spoiler

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:46 pm I just went "Scottish" to Carnegie.
Ditto. It took me a while to get there--I almost gave up--but having solved within the 30 seconds, I rather like the clue.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Shaquebanisa
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Shaquebanisa »

Coryat: $35,200

43 R (3 DDs), 4 W

FJ: :( No guess at all, but knew it the moment Ken said "heritage of it's founder".

LT: X, Shameless
Shaquebanisa
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Shaquebanisa »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:13 pm Since it's getting mentions at TJF and Reddit, here is the show error:
Spoiler

Was wondering if maybe I saw Luigi's name out of the corner of my eye and it just looked weird. Can't remember the last time I saw an error like that.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The sports nicknames got me nowhere so I quickly abandoned NCAA Division I schools. The Scottish hints pointed me in the right direction.

Odd Ken gave a time warning with no clues left. Did his hurry up comments unravel Luigi, causing him to make a risky wager? At least he got it right and made FJ moot. A bit surprised it was a TS. None of them are engineers but brainy people tend to be aware of brainy colleges.

Conference to Luigi making the 2023 TOC.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

60 R (WAGed Whitney Houston. Pop Culture bullets missed me this time.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Nice bit of synchronicity. Started listening to a podcast about the Homestead steel strike earlier today, where Carnegie Steel was involved. Haven't finished it, so don't spoil the ending for me; I'm sure everything works out in the end though!

(Wasn't a factor in me getting it right, they didn't mention Carnegie's heritage plus I also had the Mellon part, but still, amusing.)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Addams Family Values (8), The Nutcracker and the Four Realms (4), Game Night (8), 2046 (6)
RetiredDoc
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RetiredDoc »

Got FJ - all I could connect with the obvious Scottishness of it all was Andrew Carnegie, so Carnegie-Mellon

I would not have risked the lock on the last Daily Double! Was that an error? The wager amount seems too large for that
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Also interesting in that the champ featured in the most recent video in the old games thread is from Pittsburgh. I bet he got this one.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I know I've seen that Scottish Terrier mascot before but I couldn't remember the school. Guessed a different school just to have something. My first FJ miss of the season.

Luigi might be getting fatigued. He did very well during DJ but had some careless errors especially that final DD wager. He's putting an over-the-top accent on every word that has a foreign origin and it's pretty off-putting to me but he's fun to watch despite that. Innisfree was a good get.

The bottom row clues in DJ seemed really overvalued. None of the clues for Bering, Human Genome Project, emeritus, ethics, or David Bowie seemed appropriate for a $2000 clue.

I tried reading Kant's "Critique of Pure Reason" once and it was pretty bad. I remember a run-on sentence that went for almost an entire a page and decided he was a terrible writer. I'll never make it as a philosopher I guess.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Leander

Post by Leander »

MattKnowles wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:58 pm
Luigi might be getting fatigued. He did very well during DJ but had some careless errors especially that final DD wager. He's putting an over-the-top accent on every word that has a foreign origin and it's pretty off-putting to me but he's fun to watch despite that. Innisfree was a good get.
What you describe as “over the top” seems to apply to his pronunciation of Spanish origin words, which is a tendency of native speakers to pronounce words as they learned to pronounce them and not anglicize them.

I thought he really benefitted from two Hispanic oriented categories in this game.
TimMierz
Contributor

Post by TimMierz »

Tortilla means "little cake"; this means "little fleet"
I embarassingly went armada -> armadillo on this one.

I like how Lake Victoria was a wrong response for Luigi yesterday, and a correct one today.
2 main types of this in a divorce are legal (who makes big decisions about the kid's life) & physical (whom the moppet lives with)
Did they use "moppet" and "kid" because they expected "child" in the correct response (rather than just "custody")?

Ken's comment about Annabel searching for something in the Singers Who Act category - I thought it was about seeking the Daily Double, not seeking Lady Gaga. I guess both make sense.

I got Final correct only because I attended CMU. Wouldn't've known otherwise.