Friday, September 16, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Re: Friday, September 16, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

DBear wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:47 pm J13: Was there anything pointing to Syracuse, NY as opposed to Syracuse, Sicily?
The gas price.
Douglas Squasoni
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:44 pm Ken picked the right game to work in the Waluigi reference.
mennoknight
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mennoknight »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:48 pm
ACW wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:04 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:46 pm From the Study Guide thread:
Volante wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:05 pm “We Don’t Talk About Bruno” from Encanto (written by Lin-Manuel Miranda, another Name You Should Know) has become only the second song from a Disney animated film to reach #1 on the Billboard Hot 100. (Nope, the other wasn't from Frozen)
Spoiler
"A Whole New World" from 1992's Aladdin
https://www.avclub.com/we-dont-talk-abo ... 1848455215
Which is why I said "Beauty and the Beast", lol.
Yeah, That's misleading. Looks like while the film was in 1992, it hit the charts in 1993? They should have just said "this duet from a 1992 film" or something.
Disagree on misleading, but I understand your argument. Beauty and the Beast was from 1991 though, and was sung by Angela Lansbury, who is not a duet. That one's totally on me.
There was a Beauty and the Beast duet with Peabo Bryson and Celine Dion - but it only got to #9.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

When Luigi hit the last Daily Double, I was like, "If there ever was a time for a TDD, it's now." Good on Luigi for getting the pre-FJ lead without a TDD, but I can't help but wonder how he would have bet on FJ if he had led $23,600 to $15,800. That's right up near the edge of two-thirds territory, where "bet less than your lead" and "cover second" are very close, and since Emmett bet to keep Melissa locked out, anything above $2,200 would have worked for Luigi from that position.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Volante wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:05 pm “We Don’t Talk About Bruno” from Encanto (written by Lin-Manuel Miranda, another Name You Should Know) has become only the second song from a Disney animated film to reach #1 on the Billboard Hot 100. (Nope, the other wasn't from Frozen)
Spoiler
And I said, "What's that song from Beauty and the Beast? Oh yeah, 'A Whole New World'". Whatever ... it's still correct. :)
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Golf wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:01 pm
mahatma wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:52 pm Did Luigi just get tired of being on Jeopardy! or something?
Doubtful. He made a wager that has strategic merit, betting that 2nd would not answer correctly in a category we assume he did not feel strong in.

Here's a subjective question about the wager though. Is a player that averaged 49.5 buzz in attempts this week ever weak enough in a category not to cover the double up?
Whatever. But it seems he learned nothing from watching a game get gift-wrapped and hand-delivered to him a couple of nights ago by a contestant too timid to bet to cover. Well, ya lives by the sword......
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

mahatma wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:42 pm
mahatma wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:52 pm Did Luigi just get tired of being on Jeopardy! or something?
Doubtful. He made a wager that has strategic merit, betting that 2nd would not answer correctly in a category we assume he did not feel strong in.

Here's a subjective question about the wager though. Is a player that averaged 49.5 buzz in attempts this week ever weak enough in a category not to cover the double up?
I do get that, but... The one scenario I couldn't deal with would be entering FJ! with a lead, getting it right, and going home because I didn't bet on myself.
No kidding. If I miss the clue, I can live with that. But not this....
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Same idea? GMTA? First thought I had was "Get me that [patent] attorney"

New Yorker, another bit of synchronicity; Art Spiegelman is getting a National Book Foundation award and the cover got mentioned in the articles about it.
ACW wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:04 pm
Spoiler
Yeah, That's misleading. Looks like while the film was in 1992, it hit the charts in 1993? They should have just said "this duet from a 1992 film" or something.
The song -topped- the charts in 1993. It hit the charts Dec 19, 1992. Then it took until March before it finally dethroned 'I Will Always Love You'
For everyone else, let me say, you're welcome for the responses that you now know. *sticks finger in ear* What's that? Wrong movie? Aww...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
RetiredDoc

Post by RetiredDoc »

No clue on FJ - just not that up on Disney movies. I tried to think of something from Beauty and the Beast, but couldn’t come up with a song, which would have been incorrect anyway.

I was surprised that Luigi didn’t bet to cover. I’m another one who would make the cover bet even in a weak category
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

John Boy wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:00 pm

Whatever. But it seems he learned nothing from watching a game get gift-wrapped and hand-delivered to him a couple of nights ago by a contestant too timid to bet to cover. Well, ya lives by the sword......
"The man who does not read... has no advantage over the man who can't..."
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Misremembered the song as "A Brave New World" but wasn't sure when that came out and wrote down "Hakuna Matata" which seemed to be a very popular song at about that time.

I don't know if I've ever seen the name of Alexander the Great's wife show up in trivia. Although I have seen Bucephalus come up a few times.

Missed Palmetto with Palm Tree and missed Muscle Fibers with Muscles.

I like that the picture of the cover of the novel "Lorna Doone" on Wikipedia has the teaser "WITH MANY DRAWINGS". That'll draw in the readers.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
goongas

Post by goongas »

Luigi shook his head during the FJ reveal, explaining his wager. I fell for Beauty and the Beast as well.
Volante

Post by Volante »

MattKnowles wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:22 pm Missed Palmetto with Palm Tree and missed Muscle Fibers with Muscles.
I think 'muscles' would have been accepted.

To wit: https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101 ... 9.499423v1
Key Points

Fast twitch muscle and slow-twitch muscle are optimized for strong, short duration contractions and sustained smaller movements respectively.
I'd also expect stink eye from myologists with the typical grumbling about J! science clue accuracy but that's well trod ground
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Five Disney animated movies in a row won Best Original Song Oscars. Here's how they were sung.

"Under the Sea" from The Little Mermaid - solo in the movie (Sebastian the crab), no pop radio version
"Beauty and the Beast" from Beauty and the Beast - solo in the movie (Mrs. Potts), duet in pop radio version (Celine Dion and Peabo Bryson)
"A Whole New World" from Aladdin - duet in both the movie (Aladdin and Jasmine) and pop radio version (Peabo Bryson and Regina Belle)
"Can You Feel the Love Tonight from The Lion King - five lead vocals in the movie (Timon at the beginning and end; Pumbaa doing small interjections after the first, second, and fourth lines, and joining Timon in the final line—and in sobbing afterward; a chorus with a non-character lead singer; and a verse each of internal monologue for Simba and Nala), solo (with a different lyric) in pop radio version (Elton John)
"Colors of the Wind" from Pocahontas: solo in the movie (Pocahontas), solo in pop radio version (Vanessa Williams)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:23 pm Luigi lost. F him.
Um, this seems a bit harsh? :shock:
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 1:15 am
Tit for tat: viewtopic.php?p=381597#p381597
Volante

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 1:23 am
A tit for a tat leaves the whole world tittatless.
--Gandhi (rolling over in his grave)
danspartan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by danspartan »

Bob78164 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:20 pm This game is a draw for the Intermediate Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "small." --Bob
He did a good job of keeping third locked out. Also I think you’d have to factor in that second would be a big favorite in a Disney category due to age?

Still he committed to a strategy. Probably not the best decision but certainly a reasonable one.

Duet nailed it for me. Plus having kids born in the 80s meant that I had most of the Disney movies playing endlessly on the VCR.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 1:23 am
Thank you, Mark for putting Bamaman's uncharacteristic post in context. I certainly read the whole daily game thread before posting but usually lose track of game day threads after a couple of days. (This discussion about Luigi's comment came around on Friday on a Tuesday game thread.)

I have no problem with Luigi's bet. I also had no problem with Nathaniel Hackett trying for a 64 yard Field Goal instead of letting Russell Wilson cook from 4th and 5 after a tepid performance all night. (In re: Denver/Seattle MNF this week).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
billybeyer
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by billybeyer »

I recently started a free Substack where I recap ~10 of the clues on Friday episodes. I think it'd be a good resource for anyone trying to get better at Jeopardy or trivia in general.

Here's my latest recap:

https://jaqr.substack.com/p/jaqr-friday ... er-16-2022