Tuesday, September 20, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Re: Tuesday, September 20, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by DBear »

Volante wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:45 pm
negbait, (n): This Down Under capital bears the name of an English dukedom
Not at all. If you know Canberra is from an Aboriginal word, WECIB.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Volante wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:45 pm Anyone else catch themselves before 'pastoral' thinking 'wait, maybe idyll...?'
Yes. It seems like a lot of the recent LL clues are showing up on Jeopardy!. Definitely some hesitation on that one.

The two FJ categories so far this week have been very similar. I predict something completely different will show up tomorrow.

I got FJ with "State of the Union" (no "address") but missed the DD about Dartmouth.

Kelly looked like she was having fun during the game and I was hoping she would win but Emmett pulled out his 3rd come-from-behind win. Congrats to him.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

DBear wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:11 pm
The origin of Wellington was in a ToC FJ involving Julia Collins.
cthulhu
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by cthulhu »

Very surprised the $2000 clue in Before & After People was a TS. Glad to see the Wicked Pickett get some props on J! though.
Also surprised the basilisk was a TS.

Hemmed and hawed on FJ but settled on SOTU before time’s up.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:19 pm For those wondering about one of the incorrect Final responses given,
Spoiler
Washington's first inaugural address was delivered April 30, 1789 (sixteen days after receiving official notification of his election). By my count, it has 1,428 words.
Washington's second inaugural address is the shortest one of those given. If I recall correctly, it was 138 words. Checking now... 135. I admit that's where my mind went first as well, and I also admit it was the word count rather than the date that ruled it out for me. The correct response fell into place quickly after that.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I had Federalist Papers like Juliana and never even considered that wasn't correct! I guess it was a whole different sense of being "delivered." Oops!
davey

Post by davey »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:55 am I had Federalist Papers like Juliana and never even considered that wasn't correct! I guess it was a whole different sense of being "delivered." Oops!
This was my problem as well...thought only in turns of documents being "sent"... :oops: I knew it was too late for the Federalist Papers (and they were an FJ in the last year, I believe), and the grammar didn't fit the Bill of Rights, nor is an amendment 1089 words... :roll: So I was lost...
I struggled all through this game, with a lot of negs (and cluelessness on 3/5 in the slang). My worst in a while...
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

davey wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:29 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:55 am I had Federalist Papers like Juliana and never even considered that wasn't correct! I guess it was a whole different sense of being "delivered." Oops!
This was my problem as well...thought only in turns of documents being "sent"... :oops: I knew it was too late for the Federalist Papers (and they were an FJ in the last year, I believe), and the grammar didn't fit the Bill of Rights, nor is an amendment 1089 words... :roll: So I was lost...
I struggled all through this game, with a lot of negs (and cluelessness on 3/5 in the slang). My worst in a while...
Yeah, looks like the first Federalist paper was published in October 1787, so off by about two years.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

DBear wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:11 pm
If you're stuck in Australia it's more of a WCIB. You think Canberra and immediately reject it. Then you pivot to Sydney. That could be a dukedom and it's the capital of New South Wales. Does that count as a "Down Under capital"? Would they do that? And then the time runs out.
davey

Post by davey »

Among my own frustrating negs in this game was satire for parody as a 6-letter poetry genre. I wanted to say yes to it, but it didn't seem quite right...