Wednesday, September 21, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: Wednesday, September 21, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Woof »

I went down the wrong path with Edison. I was worried that ‘51 was late for him. Alas, Einstein never occurred to me… even more egregious given my familial connection.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Woof wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:27 pm I went down the wrong path with Edison. I was worried that ‘51 was late for him. Alas, Einstein never occurred to me… even more egregious given my familial connection.
You're related to the guy that took the picture of Einstein?
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

MattKnowles wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:45 pm
Woof wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:27 pm I went down the wrong path with Edison. I was worried that ‘51 was late for him. Alas, Einstein never occurred to me… even more egregious given my familial connection.
You're related to the guy that took the picture of Einstein?
One of my great-aunts used to have coffee with Einstein in Berlin. The story’s been passed down over the years.
Shaquebanisa
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Shaquebanisa »

Coryat: $28,800

38 R (3 DDs), 2 W

FJ: :( No guess.

LT: O Pioneers/My Antonia, angst, Hirohito
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Both Sinatra and Edison crossed my mind initially, but rejected both based on the first being too young and the second being too old. Luckily I remembered that Einstein was at Princeton AND the famous photo of him with his tongue out and that clicked for me. My wife got this one, too.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

Is that really "the most famous" picture of Einstein? I mean, I've seen it, but it's not the first image I think of...And I know he lived in NJ, but it's not the first place I think of...(The closest I came was Woodrow Wilson, and I knew he was long dead...)
Another thing I never associated with Einstein - paparazzi... :roll:
I've not been on the writers' FJ wavelength this week... :cry:
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

I got the correct tongue-sticking-out pic in mind immediately... And then brain-farted Edison. :(
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

As the years wore on, I thought Judy Mermelstein was going to be the last original-run contestant to be a champ on this incarnation of J!. This result made me happy, even through my second FJ miss of the week.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

I started with Edison but then couldn't think of ever seeing a photograph of him. Unless it was a guy standing in a lab, I couldn't tell you what he looked like. I could remember Einstein from the posters they'd sell at college. He came to me at about the 20 second mark.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

davey wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:56 am Is that really "the most famous" picture of Einstein?
As noted above, it's the poster angle. That thing was hanging in schools and colleges everywhere.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:15 am
davey wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:56 am Is that really "the most famous" picture of Einstein?
As noted above, it's the poster angle. That thing was hanging in schools and colleges everywhere.
Prisons...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
bibliophage
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bibliophage »

The wording of the $2000 clue under Emperors was unnecessarily confusing, so I clammed.
Despite the 11th c. conquests of Emperor Basil the Bulgar slayer of this empire, his heirs rapidly lost all he had gained
While watching the game, I couldn't tell whether they wanted the name of the conquering empire (which I knew) or the name of the conquered empire (which I didn't). I had to read the clue three times on j-archive before I was sure what they wanted. I would have worded it something more like "Despite the 11th c. conquests by Basil the Bulgar-Slayer, emperor of this empire, his heirs rapidly lost all he had gained"
davey

Post by davey »

bibliophage wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:48 pm The wording of the $2000 clue under Emperors was unnecessarily confusing, so I clammed.
Despite the 11th c. conquests of Emperor Basil the Bulgar slayer of this empire, his heirs rapidly lost all he had gained
While watching the game, I couldn't tell whether they wanted the name of the conquering empire (which I knew) or the name of the conquered empire (which I didn't). I had to read the clue three times on j-archive before I was sure what they wanted. I would have worded it something more like "Despite the 11th c. conquests by Basil the Bulgar-Slayer, emperor of this empire, his heirs rapidly lost all he had gained"
I'd say Ken read the clue with the right emphasis to show what was meant. I mean, either you recognize Basil the Bulgar Slayer, or you don't...(I didn't, and said Ottoman.)
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

davey wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:15 pm
bibliophage wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:48 pm The wording of the $2000 clue under Emperors was unnecessarily confusing, so I clammed.
I'd say Ken read the clue with the right emphasis to show what was meant. I mean, either you recognize Basil the Bulgar Slayer, or you don't...(I didn't, and said Ottoman.)
I didn't know Basil, but Bulgar says Bulgaria which is near Turkey. And 11th century says Byzantine, not Ottoman. (1453 is the end of the Byzantine.)