Thursday, September 22, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Re: Thursday, September 22, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Rackme32 »

I would have bet $0 on this category, then kicked myself for being such a chicken after seeing this super-easy FJ. Song was a huge megahit, and has been covered by many artists. Wiki lists 32 of 'em, from the Carpenters to Streisand to Willie Nelson to Gwen Stefani to the Dixie Chicks...
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Last game of summer 2022: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7443
Is clue for DJ6 missing the word 'last' ?
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I wrote down "It's Not Easy Being Green" in order to have a Muppet song. Maybe not a great name for a bridge.

7W answers for Michael but he was still able to pull it out. Wonder how he'll play tomorrow. I think we're due for a Los Angeles native/alternate for tomorrow's game. Edit: Or not.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Category 13 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:49 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Last game of summer 2022: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7443
Is clue for DJ6 missing the word 'last' ?
Not any more. Thanks.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:54 pm
DBear wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:53 pm How about someone who would never get this if you gave them all day? NHO the song. At least the writers were kind enough to let me know in advance that I would not get this. :roll:
The movie co-stars an F. Bear.
Wocka! Wocka!
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

No effing idea on FJ. None at all. Muppets can all go DIAF as far as I’m concerned. (Well, maybe a bit of hyperbole, but after reading the litany of “easiest FJ ever!”, I’m beginning to wonder if I’ve been cursed or something…) :twisted:
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Rackme32 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:40 pm I would have bet $0 on this category, then kicked myself for being such a chicken after seeing this super-easy FJ. Song was a huge megahit, and has been covered by many artists. Wiki lists 32 of 'em, from the Carpenters to Streisand to Willie Nelson to Gwen Stefani to the Dixie Chicks...
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

squarekara wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:29 am
Rackme32 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:40 pm I would have bet $0 on this category, then kicked myself for being such a chicken after seeing this super-easy FJ. Song was a huge megahit, and has been covered by many artists. Wiki lists 32 of 'em, from the Carpenters to Streisand to Willie Nelson to Gwen Stefani to the Dixie Chicks...
Why is the closed captioning in Turkish?
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

econgator wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:15 pm +1 NHO this song.

As soon as I saw the category, I said to myself, "Yep, this is a $0 bet."
Same here.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:49 pm I presume everyone is familiar with the song, but for those who aren't... magical lyrics and I love those perfect fifth interval jumps on the vocals (e.g., starting at 00:42).
You presume incorrectly. As also noted by several posters above.

The best I could come up with is "Rubber Ducky", which doesn't make for a good name for a bridge.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

alietr wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:42 am The best I could come up with is "Rubber Ducky", which doesn't make for a good name for a bridge.
If Arkansas can name a dam Toad Suck Ferry, a bridge can be named Rubber Ducky.

Rubber Ducky, you’re the one. *honk honk*
You make drive time so much fun.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Add me to the NHOI list.

I feel very strongly that a clue like should never be a Final, and just a mid-to-bottom row clue. It doesn't feel good to have the entire game, as well as any amount of rigid preparation done before your one appearance on the show, decided on whether or not you've watched The Muppet Movie from 1979.
davey

Post by davey »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:17 am Add me to the NHOI list.

I feel very strongly that a clue like should never be a Final, and just a mid-to-bottom row clue. It doesn't feel good to have the entire game, as well as any amount of rigid preparation done before your one appearance on the show, decided on whether or not you've watched The Muppet Movie from 1979.
It's been shown above that the song has been covered again and again...It was a Top 40 hit, so it got radio play...clips of Kermit singing it have been available for 40 years...
I'm sure it never feels good to miss an FJ through lack of awareness...Anyway, all 3 players got it, so they won't be fretting about that! I hope there's never an FJ on Beyonce songs, but I can't say I've had no chance to know about her...(Though I did get Lemonade because it's her only album I can name...)
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:17 am decided on whether or not you've watched The Muppet Movie from 1979.
That's the thing, though. This wasn't just "a song from a movie". It reached levels of pop culture saturation that went way beyond the soundtrack album sales and the Oscar nomination(s). "...the lover, the dreamer, and me" is one of those all-time classic lyrics. So many covers, so many performances in live shows and awards ceremonies whenever someone needed to slot in something Macca-level saccharine.

There's about as good of an argument that this Final "depended on having watched the Muppet Movie" as there is for the argument that getting the Final from the day previous depending on having seen the photo in question. Like, (a), how could you have not seen it somewhere/sometime in your life, and (b), you didn't need to have been there for the picture's being taken to get the clue right, you only needed to have known that there was once a zany picture taken of this famous person associated with New Jersey. You shouldn't have ever needed to have seen the movie to know Kermit the Frog's signature song.
davey

Post by davey »

I wonder if those who didn't know The Rainbow Connection are similarly in the dark about Kermit's other signature song, Bein' Green...?
astrohip
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by astrohip »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:49 pm I presume everyone is familiar with the song,
You would presume wrong. I've never seen an episode or movie of the Muppets. No dislike, just wrong age, wrong era, wrong time.

Sure, I know the cultural gimmes--Kermit, Bert & Ernie, etc. But songs or other trivia that require a slightly deeper dive? Not a chance on earth.
astrohip
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by astrohip »

davey wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:53 am I wonder if those who didn't know The Rainbow Connection are similarly in the dark about Kermit's other signature song, Bein' Green...?
I vaguely know his song is something about "it's hard being green". Maybe?
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I had a vague awareness of this song title, and I'm sure I must have heard it but listening to Debbie Harry sing it with Kermit just now did not ring any bells. "Rainbow" did come into my head and possibly even "connection" but if so I must have decided that was the show LeVar Burton hosted.

I do know "Rubber Ducky", "Being Green, and "Sing", among others.

I got "hawk/hock" pretty easily but they are not homophones for me.
I'm smart and I want respect.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

davey wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:53 am I wonder if those who didn't know The Rainbow Connection are similarly in the dark about Kermit's other signature song, Bein' Green...?
That song has been covered by a surprising number of well-known musicians. Take a look at the Wikipedia entry:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bein%27_Green