Friday, September 23, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

da Doctah
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, September 23, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by da Doctah »

Anyone besides me tempted to respond to FJ with "Hwæt is Beowulf?" rather than "Who is Beowulf?"
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:49 am You have Thursday's Box Scores instead of Friday's.
I sometimes do it on my phone and pull the top one, so I don't notice if it's the correct one. They still haven't posted it.

When Yiddishisms came up, I was worried that I wouldn't run it. Fortunately, I did. Those were easy ones.

There was a Beowulf question in LL this week, so he was fresh on my mind.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

da Doctah wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:00 am Anyone besides me tempted to respond to FJ with "Hwæt is Beowulf?" rather than "Who is Beowulf?"
No, but now I wish I did! I took a year of Old English in grad school and translated some Beowulf. And even before that I knew about its famous Hwæt! opening.

Of course the contestants didn't have this opportunity, having been instructed to write "Who" before the clue was revealed. Seems like that might help a tiny bit with the precalls. Of course, the LITERARY CHARACTERS category suggests a "who". But it doesn't have to. The clue could be "Of the four Shakespeare plays that mention John Falstaff, this is the one in which the character does not appear."
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

MattKnowles wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:01 pm The writers are getting hipper with their music selection. Much more of a modern selection than we've been treated to in the past.
Yeah, I only got "Hey Jude" for that one. I did however know which American wrote "Homeward Bound", which provoked a stand-and-stare in the GOING HOME category.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

If there's room and it's not too late, I'd be interested in seeing poll results for DJ14 and the synoptics. I got it but it felt more like specialized knowledge than something most trivia buffs know.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:35 am If there's room and it's not too late, I'd be interested in seeing poll results for DJ14 and the synoptics. I got it but it felt more like specialized knowledge than something most trivia buffs know.
I'm usually pretty bad at Bible trivia, but I was able to pull that.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:35 am If there's room and it's not too late, I'd be interested in seeing poll results for DJ14 and the synoptics. I got it but it felt more like specialized knowledge than something most trivia buffs know.
8:30ish in the morning on Saturday is fine for a poll request.
3:30 would be annoying as I might be in the middle of working on the poll.
4:30 would require switching things around and that could be an error-producing hassle.

A clam for me as I could not dig up the term while trying to swat away agnostic and gnostic that wanted to pop in my head.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:44 am 8:30ish in the morning on Saturday is fine for a poll request.
At first I thought you were suggesting I was a couple of hours late. Then I remembered my 10:35 post was in CDT and knew you weren't worried about the 5 minutes.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

I got it. The Bible is a wheelhouse category for me, easy money for the taking :D
davey

Post by davey »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:43 am
Yeah, I'd say anyone who grew up with the (Christian) Bible knows the term...Or took Bible as Literature courses? Fewer folks these days, I guess. (For good or ill...)
Sweeping Bible and Yiddishisms makes me feel like an old fart...
Yesterday I listened to an interview with a Broadway set designer, who has a new book, named Beowulf Boritt. I'm sure I would have gotten the FJ anyway but the name was fresh. If the host asked how he got his unusual name, I missed it.
Last edited by davey on Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Nice work to get a bottom row clue then! Did you pull at least 3/5 in the category to beat the contestants?

https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game ... ardy_round

I was surprised Michael went back to it twice, and selected the harder clues. Then, finally burned and realizing it, they left the two easy clues for the end of the round and got them both.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:44 am
8:30ish in the morning on Saturday is fine for a poll request.
3:30 would be annoying as I might be in the middle of working on the poll.
4:30 would require switching things around and that could be an error-producing hassle.

A clam for me as I could not dig up the term while trying to swat away agnostic and gnostic that wanted to pop in my head.
Same here as the similar sounding words jumbled my brain. It is one I probably get in LL with all day to think about it.
bibliophage
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bibliophage »

I wonder whether "Wing walking" would have been considered a correct response to the $1000 clue in the Take me to the pilot category. On the plus side, the picture was clearly of a wing walker doing his thing. On the minus side, though it's a kind of flying stunt, it's a bit of a stretch to call it a kind of "stunt flying" when it's not the pilot doing the walking. I thought of "barnstorming" but assumed they wanted something more specific.

The synoptic gospels have been mentioned in clues on Jeopardy at least three times before, the last time less than a year ago. This appears to be the first time "synoptic" has been the correct response. I got it right but then again I read way more books about Jesus than any non-believer should.

I guessed Beowulf for FJ, by process of elimination. I didn't specifically remember Heardred's name but it certainly sounded Germanic to my ears. Old Norse and Gothic aren't known for epic poetry, and the only other Germanic epic poem I could think of was the Nibelungenlied, which seemed too obscure.

My first time this season with a Coryat over $40K, $41,200 even if wing-walker is counted as wrong.
DavidRosen
Valued Contributor

Post by DavidRosen »

davey wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:48 pm
Yeah, I'd say anyone who grew up with the (Christian) Bible knows the term...Or took Bible as Literature courses? Fewer folks these days, I guess. (For good or ill...)
Yesterday I listened to an interview with a Broadway set designer, who has a new book, named Beowulf Boritt. I'm sure I would have gotten the FJ anyway but the name was fresh. If the host asked how he got his unusual name, I missed it.
Since we're doing Yiddishisms, we're not just old farts, but alter kockers as well.
davey

Post by davey »

DavidRosen wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:11 am
davey wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:48 pm
Since we're doing Yiddishisms, we're not just old farts, but alter kockers as well.
Absolutely, I missed an opportunity there, thanks!
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:50 pm
Nice work to get a bottom row clue then! Did you pull at least 3/5 in the category to beat the contestants?

https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game ... ardy_round
I was 4/5, but strangely the one I missed was the $400 clue. :)
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

alietr wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:43 am
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:49 am You have Thursday's Box Scores instead of Friday's.
I sometimes do it on my phone and pull the top one, so I don't notice if it's the correct one. They still haven't posted it.
You can get Friday by changing the date in the URL, concerning though that it didn't appear in the usual place and Monday does not work at least as of now. Hope they haven't decided to ditch these!

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

jeff6286 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:50 am
alietr wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:43 am
You can get Friday by changing the date in the URL, concerning though that it didn't appear in the usual place and Monday does not work at least as of now. Hope they haven't decided to ditch these!

Thanks. That trick didn't work on Monday's (at least yet). I hope they aren't, but they may be gone.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Monday September 26 is up. They also revamped the whole page so that you can now contestant-search and date-filter.

https://www.jeopardy.com/contestant-zone/jeopardata

EDIT: It's more than that. They finally coded it so that the box scores are HTML-generated. No more images to easily download.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:14 am Monday September 26 is up. They also revamped the whole page so that you can now contestant-search and date-filter.

https://www.jeopardy.com/contestant-zone/jeopardata

EDIT: It's more than that. They finally coded it so that the box scores are HTML-generated. No more images to easily download.
I was just about to say that. Grrrr.