LL Season 95

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: LL Season 95

Post by alietr »

econgator wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:51 am
alietr wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:45 am But the best is that, years ago, I was visiting a friend in Utah, and he took me to see ... the Spiral Jetty. It is way the heck out in the middle of nowhere. It's interesting and we had a fun time, but it wasn't worth a several hour trip there and back from SLC.
I was actually planning a trip to SLC/Arches/Zion earlier this year (wasn't able to go), but while I was up around Promontory Summit, I was going to take a side trip to the Spiral Jetty.
The road from there to the Spiral Jetty was just barely passable in a normal sedan. I should have had an SUV.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

alietr wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:22 am
alietr wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:45 am But the best is that, years ago, I was visiting a friend in Utah, and he took me to see ... the Spiral Jetty. It is way the heck out in the middle of nowhere. It's interesting and we had a fun time, but it wasn't worth a several hour trip there and back from SLC.
I was actually planning a trip to SLC/Arches/Zion earlier this year (wasn't able to go), but while I was up around Promontory Summit, I was going to take a side trip to the Spiral Jetty.
The road from there to the Spiral Jetty was just barely passable in a normal sedan. I should have had an SUV.
Can you actually walk out onto the jetty itself? From the photos I've seen of the Spiral Jetty it struck me as the kind of thing that would look cool from the air, but kind of boring from ground level.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:07 am
Can you actually walk out onto the jetty itself? From the photos I've seen of the Spiral Jetty it struck me as the kind of thing that would look cool from the air, but kind of boring from ground level.
It looks like you can walk out there, assuming water levels cooperate. Just avoid plants.

https://www.diaart.org/visit/visit-our- ... iral-jetty
Visitors must “leave no trace” at the site. Do not take existing rocks from the artwork or trample vegetation. Making fire pits near the artwork or on the parking lot is strictly prohibited and will result in significant fines. Carry out any waste with you.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

There was major negbait to the imago question since instar, a term referring to the stages between nymph and imago, also comes from a Latin root meaning likeness. It, however, is 6 letters, which is why I avoided that trap. Had I not spent 2 years working alongside entomologists in the pesticide industry, I doubt either term would be familiar to me.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:07 am
When I was there, the water was lapping at it. But you could walk all the way to the end, though some parts were a bit slippery. But yeah, it probably is cooler from the air. There is a bluff behind the road, so you can sort of get a raised view of it by climbing up there.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Woof wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:21 am There was major negbait to the imago question since instar, a term referring to the stages between nymph and imago, also comes from a Latin root meaning likeness. It, however, is 6 letters, which is why I avoided that trap. Had I not spent 2 years working alongside entomologists in the pesticide industry, I doubt either term would be familiar to me.
The question specifically said which stage it was asking for and gave the number of letters. That would seem to more than adequately elminate any negbait.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

jeff6286 wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:22 pm
Woof wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:21 am There was major negbait to the imago question since instar, a term referring to the stages between nymph and imago, also comes from a Latin root meaning likeness. It, however, is 6 letters, which is why I avoided that trap. Had I not spent 2 years working alongside entomologists in the pesticide industry, I doubt either term would be familiar to me.
The question specifically said which stage it was asking for and gave the number of letters. That would seem to more than adequately elminate any negbait.
Also everyone knows Instar is a movie starring Warren Beatty and Dustin Hoffman.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Don't ever recall hearing of imago; I've always known it simply as "adult".
I "may" have seen the term "imago" when I recently looked up the mayfly life cycle because we had hundreds of them on our porch (In June, kind of late - blame global warming). But I've seen countless presentations on honeybee life biology with real biologists in the room and it goes egg/larva/pupa/(adult/worker/drone/queen, depending on the subject of the talk). Imago seems like a term like "coitus" that is rarely used except to show off :lol:. I will endeavor to drop the term at the next bee club meeting. It's a great question.

I joined the 9% club twice this week - I got the Goldbach question and missed Taylor Swift. I figured out the JFK quote but butchered it without the "bin". I should have put the fake English translation of "I am a jelly donut" :roll: .

I picked the wrong side of the briar/bramble coin. I thought maybe Beatrix Potter's briar patch (actually it is "brier" patch over there ??) would tip the scales. Brambleberry was no more familiar than briarberry as an alternative. If you've ever picked your own blackberries, you know that they should cost $100/lb to offset the chigger, tick, and scratched skin side effects. :evil:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:50 pm I "may" have seen the term "imago" when I recently looked up the mayfly life cycle because we had hundreds of them on our porch (In June, kind of late - blame global warming).
If global warming were responsible, wouldn't they show up earlier rather than later?
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

alietr wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:59 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:50 pm I "may" have seen the term "imago" when I recently looked up the mayfly life cycle because we had hundreds of them on our porch (In June, kind of late - blame global warming).
If global warming were responsible, wouldn't they show up earlier rather than later?
I must curtail the innuendo since I'm so bad at it. This aside was a failed attempt at being ironical and sarcasmical ;). I do get weary of strawmen and Oklahoma Senators who take snowballs into the chamber as idiot evidence that we aren't having climate change. It's hard to parody these people since they do such a good job themselves.
To wit about the science, I think some effects follow logic and some are counterintuitive, but probably not the Mayflies. I don't think we get them every year but don't have the bookkeeping on them. Our barn swallows and our Robins (10 days and 40 days respectively) were both later this year than normal, yet we had almost a non-existent winter. Maybe it was because of the election year - I would have stayed away too :).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Brambleberry was no more familiar than briarberry as an alternative. If you've ever picked your own blackberries, you know that they should cost $100/lb to offset the chigger, tick, and scratched skin side effects. :evil:
Somewhere in the dim recesses of my mind the name brambleberry struck a note of familiarity. As a dedicated forager, I have certainly waded into my share of thorny blackberry patches. Can’t recall being chiggered, but I have noted the apparent symbiotic relationship between blackberry plants and poison oak/ivy plants.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:41 am
alietr wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:59 am
I must curtail the innuendo since I'm so bad at it. This aside was a failed attempt at being ironical and sarcasmical ;). I do get weary of strawmen and Oklahoma Senators who take snowballs into the chamber as idiot evidence that we aren't having climate change. It's hard to parody these people since they do such a good job themselves.
To wit about the science, I think some effects follow logic and some are counterintuitive, but probably not the Mayflies. I don't think we get them every year but don't have the bookkeeping on them. Our barn swallows and our Robins (10 days and 40 days respectively) were both later this year than normal, yet we had almost a non-existent winter. Maybe it was because of the election year - I would have stayed away too :).
You're right that the changes in various populations don't all follow the same apparent logic. It seems, for example, that birds are still migrating at the same time, as they are responding to signals from the sun and moon, but the plants and insects they're accustomed to finding along the way are on a new, accelerated calendar.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

"Welp, no way I'm getting this clef answer...what's one higher than bass? Baritone? Baritone clef and the most pedestrian BWA attempt this season it is!"
*click*
"Wait, what?"
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Was there some reason that I should have heard of Kikis Delivery Service?

But hey, I don't ever recall hearing of tahini and that had an 85ish percent get rate.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

econgator wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:33 pm Was there some reason that I should have heard of Kikis Delivery Service?
Studio Ghibli films show up in trivia a lot.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

econgator wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:33 pm Was there some reason that I should have heard of Kikis Delivery Service?
I watched it for the first time a few weeks ago with my kids. Cute movie. But other than it being Studio Ghibli / Hayao Miyazaki, I don't know why else it would be known. My Neighbor Totoro, Spirited Away, and Ponyo are definitely more famous films of that ilk.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

ouachiouat wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:52 pm
I watched it for the first time a few weeks ago with my kids. Cute movie. But other than it being Studio Ghibli / Hayao Miyazaki, I don't know why else it would be known. My Neighbor Totoro, Spirited Away, and Ponyo are definitely more famous films of that ilk.
Not to mention Princess Mononoke, which to me is the greatest of them all and one of the greatest animated films. Philistines will argue, but do yourself a favor and watch the subtitled version, not the dubbed.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

The questions have played pretty tough for me this season, as I am 39 points below my career average and have not yet had more than 3 questions correct on any MD. My only get yesterday was Agra, and I had no chance on any of the others. But I still tied 0(1)-0(1). I am also in 4th place in my rundle, so I am the last person currently in the promotion zone to go to D.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

StevenH wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:27 am The questions have played pretty tough for me this season, as I am 39 points below my career average and have not yet had more than 3 questions correct on any MD.
Rough is an understatement. I am almost a full 200 points down (.381 vs. .576). My CAs so far have been 2, 2, 4, 3, 2, 1, 2. On the plus side, I have an .852 DE....
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

ouachiouat wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:52 pmBut other than it being Studio Ghibli / Hayao Miyazaki, I don't know why else it would be known.
Disney's English dub of "Kiki's Delivery Service" has the voice of Phil Hartman as Jiji the cat, in one of his last voice acting roles.