LL Season 95

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: LL Season 95

Post by Lefty »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:42 pm I think I learned the 186,000 mp/s factoid in third grade science and it just stuck to me. Never really had a need for the other measurement. I had read the definition of a meter before and it sounded like what he wrote.
Me too, though I did learn the 2 99 number many years later (but before yesterday). I do remember the one ten-millionth bit from school days.
I'm smart and I want respect.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

In engineering school, we had to use both Imperial and metric units with some regularity. When I recall the definition of c, I almost literally visualize 3.0x10^8 m/s (186,000 mi/sec), including the parentheses. In doing actual calculations, I would almost always work exclusively in metric, then convert the final answer to American units if necessary.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

mahatma wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:45 pm In engineering school, we had to use both Imperial and metric units with some regularity. When I recall the definition of c, I almost literally visualize 3.0x10^8 m/s (186,000 mi/sec), including the parentheses. In doing actual calculations, I would almost always work exclusively in metric, then convert the final answer to American units if necessary.
Same here. Working on problems in both units made it clear pretty quickly why metric is superior. When using Imperial units you spend half your time doing arcane unit conversions. I mean the slug is a fine unit and all, but come on! :D
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:35 pm
mahatma wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:45 pm In engineering school, we had to use both Imperial and metric units with some regularity. When I recall the definition of c, I almost literally visualize 3.0x10^8 m/s (186,000 mi/sec), including the parentheses. In doing actual calculations, I would almost always work exclusively in metric, then convert the final answer to American units if necessary.
Same here. Working on problems in both units made it clear pretty quickly why metric is superior. When using Imperial units you spend half your time doing arcane unit conversions. I mean the slug is a fine unit and all, but come on! :D
You mean you don't want to recall that 3 tsp = 1 Tbsp = 1/2 fl oz and that 8 fl oz = 1 cup = 1/16 gal? What the hell is wrong with you, Kirk? :mrgreen:
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Woof wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:47 pm
You mean you don't want to recall that 3 tsp = 1 Tbsp = 1/2 fl oz and that 8 fl oz = 1 cup = 1/16 gal? What the hell is wrong with you, Kirk? :mrgreen:
My favorite is 1 hp = 550 ft-lbs/sec. But of course it is!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:40 pm
Woof wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:47 pm
My favorite is 1 hp = 550 ft-lbs/sec. But of course it is!
Well, that one is the horse's fault.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:42 pm I thought of Australia for the cricket question but decided it was too obvious and switched to New Zealand.
I figured it had to be Australia or India. Of course, I flipped the Koin.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I put Peter for the tsar and felt terrible when I saw the answer.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:20 am I put Peter for the tsar and felt terrible when I saw the answer.
I flipped the Koin between Ivan and Nicolas. Cost me a win and I'm in demotion zone with 4 days to go. The koin has been especially unkind this season, I'm something like 1 for 7 this season when trying to decide between 2 answers. Has cost me at least 2 wins and several other ties. Very frustrating.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

And I thought 'name one of three capitals with a unique starting letter' would've been a slam dunk. (Or, well, at least a higher than 46% get rate...)
Poor Mississippi and Missouri...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I'd like to thank whichever trivia app or random quiz bowl packet I looked at last week that said that Ivan was the first tsar. I'm having the kind of season where I need every point I can get.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Volante wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:55 am And I thought 'name one of three capitals with a unique starting letter' would've been a slam dunk. (Or, well, at least a higher than 46% get rate...)
I wasn't going to waste the time going through all the capitals. I guessed "O" and I was wrong.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

econgator wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:28 pm
Volante wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:55 am And I thought 'name one of three capitals with a unique starting letter' would've been a slam dunk. (Or, well, at least a higher than 46% get rate...)
I wasn't going to waste the time going through all the capitals. I guessed "O" and I was wrong.
I wrote them all down and it couldn't have taken more than five minutes.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:05 pm I'm having the kind of season where I need every point I can get.
I'm having the kind where they hardly matter, but I don't want to tank my lifetime stats. I wrote down all the capitals, but still went with the safest-seeming one. I would have zeroed the question against any American opponent.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Played an Irishwoman yesterday so I gave zero for the pope and she missed it. Assigned two for D&D thinking guys were more likely to have played it and she got it. Although it was fairly guessable as I got it despite never having played it but it was my zero question.

Didn’t help I rejected bitters and put mouthwash and got a tie.
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

All good things mus come to an end, as they say. Had 2 streaks of 8 wins split by a tie. 17 non-losses in a row. 'Twas fun while it lasted!
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Three games left...still 1st in A, but I lost my buffer. I'll need some more of that season long luck to stay in the green at this rate...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Interesting season for me: second best DE in my Rundle, fifth in TCA but last in OE (.169). That’s good enough for fourth in a rundle where 2 points separate 1st from 7th. It should be a wild finish. Meanwhile, the season-long rundle leader has just forfeited his last 3 matches. Hmmmm…
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Woof wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:17 am Interesting season for me: second best DE in my Rundle, fifth in TCA but last in OE (.169). That’s good enough for fourth in a rundle where 2 points separate 1st from 7th. It should be a wild finish. Meanwhile, the season-long rundle leader has just forfeited his last 3 matches. Hmmmm…
Oh, crap. I better get out of the top three so I don’t have to play a round with someone looking over my shoulder.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I denied myself a 9(6) and a win (I tied) by specifying Angostura bitters.