LL Season 95

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: LL Season 95

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:29 pm
Woof wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:17 am Interesting season for me: second best DE in my Rundle, fifth in TCA but last in OE (.169). That’s good enough for fourth in a rundle where 2 points separate 1st from 7th. It should be a wild finish. Meanwhile, the season-long rundle leader has just forfeited his last 3 matches. Hmmmm…
Oh, crap. I better get out of the top three so I don’t have to play a round with someone looking over my shoulder.
Normally, yeah, but it's not like the guy was lighting the world on fire. Quite a few of his wins could have been ties or losses if not for poor defense.
countyguy
Vacuously Undefeated on J!

Post by countyguy »

econgator wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:29 pm
Woof wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:17 am Interesting season for me: second best DE in my Rundle, fifth in TCA but last in OE (.169). That’s good enough for fourth in a rundle where 2 points separate 1st from 7th. It should be a wild finish. Meanwhile, the season-long rundle leader has just forfeited his last 3 matches. Hmmmm…
Oh, crap. I better get out of the top three so I don’t have to play a round with someone looking over my shoulder.
Normally, yeah, but it's not like the guy was lighting the world on fire. Quite a few of his wins could have been ties or losses if not for poor defense.
And he also already qualified for the Championship in LL94.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

countyguy wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:40 pm
Which seasons qualify for the 2023 championship?
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

I'm not a D&D player and only know a couple of rudimentary facts about the game, so I missed that question after hypothesizing that "W" might stand for "weapon." But the answer was enlightening.

I first saw ET: The Extraterrestrial about three months after it came out, and at least a half-dozen times since. One scene has Elliot and one of the older kids hurling insults back-and-forth at a school bus stop:

"You're such a sine supremus."
"Zero charisma"
"Sine supremus"
"Zero charisma"

I've always thought those were pretty arcane insults for young teens. I thought "sine supremus" could be "big nothing" but had no clue why Spielberg would think something as esoteric as "zero charisma" would be particularly meaningful to kids that age. Never made the connection to the D&D scene earlier in the movie, and wouldn't have known what to make of it had I done so.

So -- a 40-year-old question finally answered. One of several "aha" moments I've gotten over the course of my brief time with LL. Maybe I should start referring to it as the "Today I Learned League".
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
countyguy
Vacuously Undefeated on J!

Post by countyguy »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:01 pm
countyguy wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:40 pm
Which seasons qualify for the 2023 championship?
LL94-97 I'm pretty sure. LL90-93 qualified for the 2022 championship.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

That makes sense. LL 97 concludes in late June.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Looks like I might crawl out of the basement this time. I am two points ahead of the non-promotion zone and have a solid MPD lead over everyone that is two or three points behind me.
ouachiouat
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by ouachiouat »

I got quite fortunate on the sculpture question. Went to Europe this summer with work and went to the Musee Rodin. There they had The Age of Maturity, and I was fascinated by it. I took pics of all the artwork I really liked--but not only the art, also the title and description. I've been reviewing them some this year, figuring some of this would show up on LL eventually. Sure enough, Claudel was on the description of The Age of Maturity (along with another lady). Problem is I remembered her name as Claudet. Put that, got credit anyway. 2nd beer of the season, 4th 9-point day.

It's the 2nd question about art that I saw there this season, though I would've gotten Whistler correct anyway. It really helped!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I read the UN ambassador question and thought, "Oh, the Commish is asking for one of three, but he's just being oblique because one is more famous than the others and he expects most people to say that one. There was that woman who just got an ambassadorship in the past year who is primarily famous for something far from diplomacy. Who was it? Like a former child actress or something, of Asian descent I think... Who was it?" And I racked my brain off and on about it for maybe 18 hours. I thought about giving up and trying to think of a Trump appointee, but I was surer I could come up with the name I'd already been working on. Eventually I got to thinking of former athletes as well, and when I got to figure skaters, I came up with Michelle Kwan and knew that she was the one I'd been trying to name. Turns out she's ambassador to Belize, and still a current one (having taken office just last week), whereas the question named a current one. Nikki Haley would have been my best bet to get this one right, but I'm not sure I would have come up with her even if I'd tried.

I still won, and I needed it—I got as low as #21 last week, with #24 in the relegation zone, and now I'm at #17.
Last edited by seaborgium on Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Two games to go...and I'm still in first. In an A. Literally :shock:

I shouldn't even be IN A! I only got in because someone who was in promotion in B changed leagues!

If I stay in the green and am somehow -not- the luckiest llama, that whole formula needs to be revisited.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I'm holding onto third in Fjord A for dear life. I lost yesterday, but still have a one point lead over the person in fourth.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

.805 DE with two matches left. Can I hold on?

I'm one spot below the promotion line, too, but I don't care as much about that.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Volante wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:54 am Two games to go...and I'm still in first. In an A. Literally :shock:

I shouldn't even be IN A! I only got in because someone who was in promotion in B changed leagues!

If I stay in the green and am somehow -not- the luckiest llama, that whole formula needs to be revisited.
Congrats on finishing #1 in A.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Ruth gave away what that question was about, but I got my "_y [monosyllable]"s confused and said Young, and it cost me the match. Nevertheless, I am out of the reach of all the players currently in relegation and thus mathematically guaranteed to remain in A.
mahatma
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mahatma »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:42 am Ruth gave away what that question was about, but I got my "_y [monosyllable]"s confused and said Young, and it cost me the match. Nevertheless, I am out of the reach of all the players currently in relegation and thus mathematically guaranteed to remain in A.
I was surprised that wasn’t the MCWA.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MattKnowles wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:26 am
Volante wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:54 am Two games to go...and I'm still in first. In an A. Literally :shock:

HOW?!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

A 9(6)-9(6) tie yesterday dropped me down to fourth place. Me and the third place person are tied in points but he's got me in MPD. Looks like today could be important. :(

I loved the Domino's question yesterday.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Volante wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:10 am
MattKnowles wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:26 am

HOW?!
I’m assuming a monkey’s paw was involved at some point.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:28 am A 9(6)-9(6) tie yesterday dropped me down to fourth place. Me and the third place person are tied in points but he's got me in MPD. Looks like today could be important. :(

I loved the Domino's question yesterday.
Upon reveal it seemed so obvious, but it obviously wasn't very obvious to very many people.

Good luck!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Reminder: For those eligible, BWA voting is now open. I had to whittle 10 that I like a lot down to 3 (64, 40, 23).