Wednesday, November 16, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Re: Wednesday, November 16, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by cf1140 »

Ironhorse wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:52 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:29 pm
Is this the worst screw-up they've ever had?
The magnitude of this one is probably the greatest, but I remember the FJ several years ago where the screen in studio mistakenly displayed "his" instead of "this", resulting in the leading player crossing out the correct answer and writing "Carl Sagan". He would have won over $30K, but instead had to settle for being invited back, and losing that game.
There was a problem with an Eileen & Michael Collins FJ several years ago. But the staff identified the problem the same day as the unlucky contestant came back later in the same week.
Woppy T
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Woppy T »

Ironhorse wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:52 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:29 pm
Is this the worst screw-up they've ever had?
The magnitude of this one is probably the greatest, but I remember the FJ several years ago where the screen in studio mistakenly displayed "his" instead of "this", resulting in the leading player crossing out the correct answer and writing "Carl Sagan". He would have won over $30K, but instead had to settle for being invited back, and losing that game.
The stakes weren't as high, but they completely botched another Bible FJ a few years ago, the "upper room" clue. It was so bad that Alex had to apologize for it. I don't recall if it affected the outcome.

ETA: here it is. Can't believe it was 10 years ago. https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3915
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Ha.

https://www.dumbingofage.com/2022/comic ... ea/helper/
The mouseover text. Wouldn't have helped me regardless, but at least now I get the reference.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

Moving this discussion back to the daily thread...
opusthepenguin wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:09 pm
davey wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:42 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:23 am
All the clues the writers got right, I got wrong. And vice versa. I'm checking the box that says "I ruled out Wednesday's 'correct' response because I knew that Hebrews is not generally considered to be by Paul and/or is not generally considered to be an epistle".
Don't you mean "specifically"? By those who have studied? I spent a fair amount of time in Sunday School and church in my misspent youth and shared both misapprehensions until this week. (It's possible that I didn't think of Hebrews because of some buried memory that eliminated it, but unlikely...) The latter might be better modified by "technically." I find the uncertainty with the number of "quotations" far more troubling...
I mean "not generally" in the sense of "not according to the general consensus". I believe there are some scholars who argue for Pauline authorship of Hebrews, maybe even some who argue it's a kind of epistle.

I don't find the problem with the quotation count more troubling, but it's definitely a second way to invalidate this clue. The quotation count problem didn't have any effect on my response. I was happy to concede that the writers had some non-controversial, agreed upon method for totting up quotations. Given time, I might have started to wonder whether that was a reasonable concession. But during the Think music, I concentrated on what seemed to be the TOMs and chose the most likely Pauline epistle. Romans. There are two letters to the Corinthians, which doesn't fit the clue, plus the Corinthians were Greeks and Paul didn't use the OT as much with them. Romans is 16 chapters long--the longest of Paul's letters, by far the longest once you eliminate 1 and 2 Corinthians--and it's all about using the OT to persuade Jewish Christians about the nature of faith and works. Romans was the best guess once Hebrews (and the Gospels, Acts, and Revelation) were excluded. It's just a bonus that this turns out to be arguably the correct response.
My point is that this clue doesn't reward expertise. Jeopardy! clues...generally...don't. They're not going to delve into the intricacies of authorship any more than they would expect players to know which parts of the 5 books of Moses are by P, D, or J. (The podcast's version of this is Buzzy saying Jeopardy is not going to phrase a clue to be tricky like that.. ) The clue is based on little more than whether you know that Hebrews is one of the books towards the end of the New Testament, before you get to Revelation...
There were at least 2 smart people on that stage who didn't have the facts that you considered TOMs at their fingertips...and I'm not shocked by that. Even in a tournament with extraordinary players.