Friday, November 25, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Re: Friday, November 25, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Golf »

If you've never watched an episode of Jeopardy in the past you aren't going to figure out this FJ. But I think this is a prototypical Jeopardy clue that forces you to put some puzzle pieces together.

First off, Jeopardy is not going to ask you to name a Montana county blind. No contestant should be studying a list of counties in Montana, just too esoteric.

So then it comes down to naming big tourist spots in Montana. Glacier National Park and Custer's Last Stand are popular, but nowhere near the likes of Yellowstone. Then add the fact that one of the most watched shows over the last four years takes place in the Montana section of Yellowstone. And actually, I think the hardest part of this might be knowing that part of Yellowstone is located in Montana.

Is this a simple FJ? No. Is it a great FJ clue? No. No fault in missing the clue for sure. I just think after the fact one can see how the dots were connected and that in retrospect it's the obvious answer.

But as Dalton said in Road House, opinions vary.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Volante wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:49 pm
econgator wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:37 pm
cf1140 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:44 am
jeff6286 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:30 am I feel like this is a garbage Final. It should have been left on the cutting room floor. Yes the basic facts are factual, Yellowstone County is the most populous and it did grow 11%. But the entire State grew 9.6% so that 11% figure is not remotely notable. And the clue "this county that attracts tourists"....yeah, this is the garbage part. Lots of people could get this right by assuming they are referring to a large tourist destination like Yellowstone National Park, but as said above, it's not in this county or even particularly near it. I don't know much about the Billings Tourism Board and don't particularly care to research it but sure I'm guessing a few people visit Billings and its county but not in any particularly notable numbers.

It feels like either they assumed Yellowstone County contained or was adjacent to Yellowstone National Park, and just lazily didn't bother to confirm this fact, or they knew it wasn't but figured they'd leave the fake clue anyway to get people to the right answer. Either explation is pretty awful, I don't know which is worse.
I think the clue is referring to the county attracting tourists to Billings airport that then drive to the Northeast corner of Yellowstone National Park.
Even still, Bozeman airport is both busier and significantly closer, so it kinda fails there, too.
I love it how this time around the writers end up being -technically- correct on all aspects of the clue...and we're complaining how they're wrong in a philosophical sense :lol: "How DARE you have us come up with the right answer for the wrong reasons!"

They've pulled this trick before though and it's one of their favorites. I distinctly remember having this conversation before, too, but damned if I can remember when it was and I'm not exactly sold on flipping through listfjs.php...cause...like...Dragonflight just dropped...
The thing is the only actual "fact" here is "Name the most populous county in Montana". As Golf says, that' would be a terrible FJ and they would never ask this. So instead they hang this on "this county that attracts tourists", which is the most useless and nebulous statement. It doesn't say how many tourists, or if its the most of any county in the state, it's just words. I fully maintain my stance, garbage Final.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Golf wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:26 pm
So then it comes down to naming big tourist spots in Montana. Glacier National Park and Custer's Last Stand are popular, but nowhere near the likes of Yellowstone.
Google tells me that Glacier National Park gets 3 million annual visitors, while Yellowstone gets 4.86 million. Considering one is entirely within the state and the other is only a small portion, I maintain that for the level of Montana knowledge a J! player should be expected too have, Glacier is just as good an answer and possibly even better. But no, despite Glacier County also existing as a Montana County, it's not home to a major city and therefore not the most populous county in the state, so it's not the answer. But this comes right back to "name the most populous county in Montana" being a terrible Final.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Maybe we were supposed to make some kind of connection to the Kevin Costner TV show. I've never seen it so not sure exactly where in Montana it's supposed to take place.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:34 am Maybe we were supposed to make some kind of connection to the Kevin Costner TV show. I've never seen it so not sure exactly where in Montana it's supposed to take place.
If you look at a map of Montana, it's pretty much located between Bozeman and Livingston in Park County. The shows states that it's about the size of Rhode Island.